Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Oh boy I wonder what neat new things are going on with GPUs today.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Zero VGS posted:

You know what, I glad Trump won, because with any luck he'll get us all nuked so I won't have to read these derails ever again.

Still voting for asteroid 2018 so we can all enjoy a end to this mess.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Alright nm guys lol, I hope for the best. If anybody is willing to discuss what a 25% tariff on semiconductors that directly implicate Nvidia might have on GPU availability I'm all ears, but for all other inquires apparently /pol/ is awaiting your valued input.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nvidia is an american company largely supplied by countries we are on good terms with like korea and taiwan. Whatever counter tariffs you are thinking of are purely speculative and in your imagination until they are on paper and announced. You cant say "not trump" and then pretend like you arent talking about him. Just say "reeeeeeeeeee" because its getting the same point across.

Price may get affected but availability will not, they arent going to stop making them. They charge more, i cant understand how this doesnt make sense to you

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 4, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
finally someone making sense

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

nvidia is an american company largely supplied by countries we are on good terms with like korea and taiwan. Whatever counter tariffs you are thinking of are purely speculative and in your imagination until they are on paper and announced. You cant say "not trump" and then pretend like you arent talking about him. Just say "reeeeeeeeeee" because its getting the same point across.

Price may get affected but availability will not, they arent going to stop making them. They charge more, i cant understand how this doesnt make sense to you

Okay this is basically what I was asking, thanks. But I'm not sure why you think this is speculation since the list of affected industries is specifically outlined, Nvidia being an affected company (along with AMD for that matter in a larger way), and I'm curious about the impact this may have. For the most part video cards are in fact produced in China, even if the GPU core itself and ram is not. The only speculation here is whether or not it goes through, which is definitely outside of the scope of "GPU thread", and yes I will avoid the word Trump for that reason alone and I believe the proof that would be the right course of action here is in the posts above this one... and I mentioned I doubt the counter tariffs would go through for many, many (non GPU) reasons.

But if it does, this brings up the question of where the real bill of materials style cost lies in a GPU. I'm guessing its actually the PCB and cooler. Also, since the chips are sent to China to be installed, where does the tax get levied? I imagine the ball is more or less in China's court on that one, but I have no idea. Maybe somebody here more familiar with tariffs can chime in because I feel like thats a big deal here. At what level does the "value" of an item get applied, and is it traditionally taxable there? That seems complicated, also due to the fact that the actual chips themselves don't necessarily have to have a lot of literal cash value.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

and yes I will avoid the word Trump

im going to avoid word trump, oh poo poo i said it again. Im so loving dumb help me

If its being assembled and shipped as a completed product from the country with the tariff its being applied to that value. If its being assembled in the US its way cheaper. Golf clubs for instance avoid a lot of taxes by shipping the head and shaft separately and gluing in the US. Any company with sense will just move final packaging to another country to avoid the tariffs while continuing to do everything up to that point in china because if they dont the ones already in taiwan will have a price advantage

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 4, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I just asked my mom if I was "so loving dumb" and she said "NO". I know she was serious too, because she yelled it from upstairs. She is always serious when she yells.

Man these edits are getting hard to follow, but frankly that answer is fairly bleak :(

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you're a defeatist looking for reasons to be upset sure, but its actually going to be fine and nvidias profits will keeping going up while they make new gpus year after year

any 3rd party manufacturer that doesnt adapt will lose sales and probably stop selling to the US. MSI, Gigabyte, Asus and EVGA will all be fine considering they arent chinese. Colorful and any other mainly chinese manufacturer will not. Mainly the pcb and cooler comes from China. Everything else that's expensive and hard to make doesnt.

Your iphone will go up in price boo hoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sounds like a bunch of dumb rash decisions that will benefit no one

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Sounds like a bunch of dumb rash decisions that wont benefit me personally in way i can immediately appreciate

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:No more Trump posts or political arguments below this line:siren:

Go to D&D or C-SPAM or wherever tolerates that poo poo.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I like gpu

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Alereon posted:

:siren:No more Trump posts or political arguments below this line:siren:

Go to D&D or C-SPAM or wherever tolerates that poo poo.

Definitely C-SPAM, they will be happy to consider your political opinions :getin:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

1gnoirents posted:

I like gpu

I like green gpu.

Unless red gpu is better. Then I like red gpu.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like blue GPU and Minecraft

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
code:

Hello World. I am software renderer.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
To push things forward, SemiAccurate claim to have the scoop on the PlayStation 5, which involves Navi architecture for GPU and a custom "Zen" for CPU.

All specs aside, from which "year" should we expect the components to be? Are we talking 2017 components in the console or when is that usually locked in?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

ufarn posted:

To push things forward, SemiAccurate claim to have the scoop on the PlayStation 5, which involves Navi architecture for GPU and a custom "Zen" for CPU.

All specs aside, from which "year" should we expect the components to be? Are we talking 2017 components in the console or when is that usually locked in?

I’m guessing right after the PS4.5 was released, whenever that was

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

They've had good luck with AMD providing CPU/GPU, Zen is a nice upgrade that is very power efficient in the 2.5Ghz and below range, so thermals should be nice, and it really doesn't matter what GPU architecture they use as long as it has a good SDK and is faster than the current one. Dating things is tough, because Sony will target a spec and AMD will meet that spec in the lowest cost way, blending in whatever is needed, either tweaking off the shelf stuff (Zen CPU) or pulling a custom variant of an in development product (Navi).

I can't read the article, so there are some performance impacting unknowns. How much memory and what type? Solid state storage or spiny (or a hybrid?)?.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Nvidia isn’t releasing any gaming cards until 2019 at the earliest. All new cards will be mining/automotive/datacenter oriented and the cost and supply will only get worse as self driving vehicles continue to increase the distance they can drive without exploding or killing everyone within 100’ of the vehicle. Gaming cards will be based on these designs and thus have lower and lower generational improvements as the designs fundamentally change to accommodate tasks other than gaming as their primary purpose.

WCCFTech please feel free to PM me

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 4, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Gaming is still the largest revenue segment for Nvidia, why on earth would they do that?

Even if crypto mining stays a thing and they keep buying Pascal, you want the gamers to upgrade a some point. Some people here seem to think Nvidia would prefer to lose money if it meant pointlessly screwing over gamers.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 4, 2018

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
A significant part of ‘gaming’ revenue, potentially most of the last quarter shown, is actually mining and gaming is not going to experience the same growth as other sectors. Nvidia will still make cards next year just not as many and they’ll cost more. Nvidia loves making money which is why they’ll continue to pivot to customers who will pay more for the same parts (not gamers).

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

MaxxBot posted:

Gaming is still the largest revenue segment for Nvidia, why on earth would they do that?

Even if crypto mining stays a thing and they keep buying Pascal, you want the gamers to upgrade a some point. Some people here seem to think Nvidia would prefer to lose money if it meant pointlessly screwing over gamers.

I don’t think they want to screw over gamers, just gamer: me. This is personal, I can feel it.

On that graph I assume crypto miner purchases are under gaming since they buy those cards? Does anyone have good data on how many cards were bought by miners rather than gamers last winter?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

That image is from before the mining boom Nvidia just has weird fiscal years, it's from late 2016. There's absolutely no reason why Nvidia would stop making GPUs specifically for gaming when they already make separate chips for gaming, data center, and automotive.

They've been going in the direction of making more specialized chips for different tasks, not fewer. Maybe they'd add a new chip just for buttmining if that stays big but they won't stop making gaming chips.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 4, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

gingerberger posted:

I don’t think they want to screw over gamers, just gamer: me. This is personal, I can feel it.

On that graph I assume crypto miner purchases are under gaming since they buy those cards? Does anyone have good data on how many cards were bought by miners rather than gamers last winter?

The nvidia mining craze started ~May 2017 when everything started booming bigtime, but you're going to have to start making inferences based on basically just that. They were still leaders prior to that with ~80% marketshare, which were used for gaming purposes - though the huge marketshare was simply AMD's fault at that point to make a very long story short.

I dont doubt Nvidia prioritizes gaming discrete GPUs (used for gaming or not) because thats the primary metric used in shareholder meetings. Some resources are now diverted, to be sure, but doomsday isn't here yet.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
PC gaming is dead. Hoard your cards and prepare for the FPSpocalypse.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I do agree that it could be a writing on the wall situation though. We are fortunate in a way that all the divisions of Nvidia now still share - roughly - the same basic technology. Once it becomes necessary to diverge to support another lucrative market (say if/when driverless cars take off) then things could take a sudden turn.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Baleeted; didn’t see mod post

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 5, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Nvidia doesn't have to push the envelope for the same reason Intel started milking their CPUs in 2011, AMD is so far behind they can just sit on it. I still think nvidia will release something this year but I wouldn't be surprised if they just rebadge Pascal. How long did the 8800GT last nvidia?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Has NVidia ever rebadged anything? As in same process, same architecture, new model number?

Edit: like with a whole fleet of cards not some one-off laptop chip

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Has NVidia ever rebadged anything? As in same process, same architecture, new model number?

600-700 series was the last I remember, though it was done "properly" by moving model numbers. It wasn't all the cards but basically it was a big rebrand.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

1gnoirents posted:

600-700 series was the last I remember, though it was done "properly" by moving model numbers. It wasn't all the cards but basically it was a big rebrand.

This reminds me of something I was curious about recently - is there any known reason Nvidia stopped doing ‘G_2__’ refreshes of GPU lines? Pascal won’t have one, and Maxwell basically didn’t unless you count the 750 Ti as a ‘generation’. But both Fermi and Kepler did before. I guess Tesla didn’t either, but still seems odd to do the practice reliably for 4 years in a row and then stop.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

Kepler was the last lineup-wide rebrand (excluding the 780/780 Ti, which were on GK110, which was formerly a Titan-only chip). Rebrands have persisted in at least a few niches like mobile and OEM cards for a little longer. It's not a one-off thing though, there were a lot of rebrands in the 900-series mobile lineup and they're even starting to push Maxwell into 10-series mobile chips too (I for one would like to see this practice eradicated entirely, even including mobile+OEM SKUs).

Space Racist posted:

This reminds me of something I was curious about recently - is there any known reason Nvidia stopped doing ‘G_2__’ refreshes of GPU lines? Pascal won’t have one, and Maxwell basically didn’t unless you count the 750 Ti as a ‘generation’. But both Fermi and Kepler did before. I guess Tesla didn’t either, but still seems odd to do the practice reliably for 4 years in a row and then stop.

Well, since Kepler, NVIDIA has been pushing a full lineup every generation, they're no longer doing multiple generations on a single uarch like they did during Tesla, Fermi, and Kepler.

If you want to be technical though, there were more or less three distinct series of Maxwell - GM107/GM108, the GM200/GM204 with updates to the SM engines, and then GM206 with its new PureVideo core. Each of those is a distinction similar to what NVIDIA used to increment the chip series number for back in Kepler and preceding generations (eg the difference between, say, GK107 and GK208).

edit, bonus trivia: there is a little-known GM108 chip on first-generation Maxwell as well, it got used in a few mobile SKUs and is now branded as the 10-series MX110 and MX130. Forgot about that one! (much like everyone else)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 5, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

That image is from before the mining boom Nvidia just has weird fiscal years, it's from late 2016. There's absolutely no reason why Nvidia would stop making GPUs specifically for gaming when they already make separate chips for gaming, data center, and automotive.

They've been going in the direction of making more specialized chips for different tasks, not fewer. Maybe they'd add a new chip just for buttmining if that stays big but they won't stop making gaming chips.

NVIDIA just reported FY 2018Q4 like last month or something. Their fiscal year is more or less one year ahead of the calendar year.

It was roughly something like Datacenter - $680M, Gaming - $1800M, every other segment - $100-200M each. So still mostly gaming, but some of that is crypto too, with Datacenter climbing rapidly and meeting within 1-3 years.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 5, 2018

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Zero VGS posted:

I remembered there having been some drama over 8800 cards so I did some googling and came across this:

• GTX 680 --> GTX 770
  • GTX 670 --> GTX 760 Ti OEM
  • GTX 660 OEM --> GTX 760 OEM
  • GTX 555 OEM --> GTX 560 SE OEM --> GT 645 OEM
  • GT 545 OEM --> GT 640 OEM (GF106)
  • GT 530 OEM --> GT 630
  • GT 520 --> GT 610 --> GT 620 OEM
  • GT 440 --> GT 630
  • GT 240 OEM --> GT 340 OEM (GT215)
  • GeForce 315 OEM --> GeForce 505 OEM
  • 8800 GTS (G92) --> 9800 GTX --> die shrink/clock mod.-->9800 GTX+ --> GTS 150 OEM and GTS 250
  • 8800 GT --> 9800 GT -->die shrink--> GT 240
  • 8800 GS --> 9600 GSO --> mod --> GT 130
  • 7900 GX2 --> 7950 GX2

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Machine learning and AI is going to be huge in the next few years, so that data center figure is only going to keep growing. The question is if it will be bigger than gaming ?

I’m guessing yes, obviously, but willing to hear counterpoints

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Yeah, see, if you are "modding" or "shrinking" a die then that doesn't count as a rebrand, sorry.

By that standard, AMD has been rebranding the same die since like 2012 or some poo poo. And no, for once I'm not bagging on AMD here, that's a bullshit standard.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Machine learning and AI is going to be huge in the next few years, so that data center figure is only going to keep growing. The question is if it will be bigger than gaming ?

I’m guessing yes, obviously, but willing to hear counterpoints

Assuming it keeps growing at the present rate then yes, in 1-3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Fair point, but the question there was has Nvidia done any rebranding.
The 8800 -> 9x00 thing was kinda of a big deal when it happened.