Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kanfy posted:

I honestly know nothing about otome games myself, but I did notice MG announcing they've picked up Steam Prison (VNDB) a couple of days back which seems like something maybe worth keeping an eye on for people interested in steampunk-flavored anime boyfriends.
Steam Prison is where they send all the people convicted of review bombing, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Oh I remember Sweet Fuse! Back then I didn't have a psp but now I have a (exclusively used for reading) Vita, and completely forgot about it. I do know the protagonist was cool, but is the story good as well?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm using the Higurashi anime to catch up on the slice of life stuff, and then switching back to the visual novel once the plot for the chapter starts to kick in.

Working out so far.

I think so much what adds to the visual novel are the internal thoughts of the protagonist, so definitely want to switch to the visual novel once things start getting intense.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
amnesia was alright and kent and ukyo are cute boys but woofin' woofy woof is toma's route bad poo poo

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've yet to play any of the VN of Higurashi but I would imagine Onikakushi is particularly more powerful in that format

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

alcharagia posted:

amnesia was alright and kent and ukyo are cute boys but woofin' woofy woof is toma's route bad poo poo

Amnesia was hilarious to me because it was this cast of dudes who you suspect want to kill You or put you in a cage and then there's Kent's route where the thing was... that he was rude to you once???

It's literally "a cast of f up men... And Kent"

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

Meallan posted:

Oh I remember Sweet Fuse! Back then I didn't have a psp but now I have a (exclusively used for reading) Vita, and completely forgot about it. I do know the protagonist was cool, but is the story good as well?

Yes, play it! I wish it were likely to be ported to more systems so I could recommend it to people who aren't so into having a Vita for reading. Am contemplating replaying it soon, since I might have to bribe myself with it to force myself to finish Amnesia.

Finally playing Root Double now since Vita version is finally out. So many fiery deaths! A+ so far.

Played the first Men of Yoshiwara game and am more than a little surprised that got a Switch release. I can only assume that nobody's reading the text before approving games, just looking at the pictures.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
SO is root double worth playing?
For reference my fav nonotome VNs are: ace attorney, zero escape series, danganronpa, steins, fata morgana, and umineko. SO I LOVE murder mysteries and stories with tons of tension. Tho steins is prob on the end part of the list because I tend to dislike when the general tone of these stories get hurt by... weird ramblings or prolonged comedy or weird tonal shifts. Steins got a lot better after a certain spoilery part but before that oh boy.

Does root double not have that or have less of that?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Meallan posted:

SO is root double worth playing?
For reference my fav nonotome VNs are: ace attorney, zero escape series, danganronpa, steins, fata morgana, and umineko. SO I LOVE murder mysteries and stories with tons of tension. Tho steins is prob on the end part of the list because I tend to dislike when the general tone of these stories get hurt by... weird ramblings or prolonged comedy or weird tonal shifts. Steins got a lot better after a certain spoilery part but before that oh boy.

Does root double not have that or have less of that?

The "After" route definitely has what you're looking for. Tons of tension and mystery. It's the first route you play.

Not sure about the other routes.

Closest feel is to Zero Escape, but it's a bit more grounded with less weirdness and crazy plot twists.

Although if you haven't played Chaos: Child get on that. I think I prefer that above Root Double. (Though CC does have a bit of SoL stuff it's not as frontloaded as Steins Gate and most is pretty relevant).

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 5, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Looking back at Root Double I really like how the overall mystery and theme fits together, but there are definitely parts of it that drag or deflate the tension.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I enjoyed the A route quite a bit, but stalled out horribly in the B route and never finished it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The B route has a very good plot twist in it. Does it justify the whole route? Probably not, but it was something.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meallan posted:

Amnesia was hilarious to me because it was this cast of dudes who you suspect want to kill You or put you in a cage and then there's Kent's route where the thing was... that he was rude to you once???

It's literally "a cast of f up men... And Kent"

Indeed so it's always awk when ppl list it as a "good" intro otome like but 90% of the LI seem to be broken human beings. I can accept 1-2 flaws but it's difficult to explain well you see...it was popular in JAPAN. It goes on a sale a lot if that counts?

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Looking back at Root Double I really like how the overall mystery and theme fits together, but there are definitely parts of it that drag or deflate the tension.

To me it very much felt like "Ever 17 but not as good". Also the mechanic for how choices work felt more like a gimmick for gimmick's sake than a clever new idea.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Alder posted:

Indeed so it's always awk when ppl list it as a "good" intro otome like but 90% of the LI seem to be broken human beings. I can accept 1-2 flaws but it's difficult to explain well you see...it was popular in JAPAN. It goes on a sale a lot if that counts?

Haha I guess it's only a good introduction if you want to give someone a crash course on yandereism .

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

At least the beginning of the "Before" route in Root Double is pretty interesting so far. Different tone, but some nice worldbuilding.

Maybe it shits the bed later, but so far I'm interested.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

personally i found the "after" route to be the best overall, which is unfortunate since that means the best stuff is frontloaded, but the rest of the game is still good enough to be worth sticking it out. the only part of the game i actually thought was just stupid was the natsuhiko love triangle

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

voltcatfish posted:

The B route has a very good plot twist in it. Does it justify the whole route? Probably not, but it was something.

Yea that was a really good twist.

On the "Double" route now. While the "after" route is definitely the best, I still really enjoyed the other routes. Double is a little strange though since it's almost all exposition as you're going back to the other characters memories. Some of which are more interesting than others. There's not that much story movement though

Also I was worried that the Before route might have a lot of meaningless Slice of Life stuff. But fortunately that was kept to a a minimum and most seemed relevant to some degree. Though some were more engaging than others.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Question about Higurashi Episode 4. I understand it's more of a side story. Is it still essential reading?

Kind of eager to get to the Answer Arcs.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
I decided to abandon my pretenses of masculine dignity and start in on Muv-Luv since it's apparently crazy and I like crazy things. I'm on 10/31 on Extra and somehow enjoying the plodding SoL silliness, anything I should know before I get further into this obnoxiously pink sideshow?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

theblackw0lf posted:

Question about Higurashi Episode 4. I understand it's more of a side story. Is it still essential reading?

It's not a side story, you need to read it

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SealHammer posted:

I decided to abandon my pretenses of masculine dignity and start in on Muv-Luv since it's apparently crazy and I like crazy things. I'm on 10/31 on Extra and somehow enjoying the plodding SoL silliness, anything I should know before I get further into this obnoxiously pink sideshow?

Just that you only need to do the Sumika and Meiya routes. There's some cool details in the other routes, but those two are the only necessary ones.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

It is extremely essential.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Early impressions of SeaBed: the art and sound seem pretty shoddily put together, and the translation is real stiff. I want to play more of it, though. I'm cautiously pessimistic.
Update: I played a bit more of it. I no longer want to play more of it. I like all the characters well enough, and it sets up a reasonably interesting mystery, but the translation just isn't good enough. I can't recommend it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://twitter.com/Novectacle_EN/status/984312133801291776?s=20

Out May 17th. spoilers for the first game on the store page

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

lets hang out posted:

https://twitter.com/Novectacle_EN/status/984312133801291776?s=20

Out May 17th. spoilers for the first game on the store page
I'm going to pre-order this.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is it a sequel sequel or a fan disk affair. I will purchase it regardless but I'd like to know what to expect

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sounds real fan disky. MG has it at $15

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

PQube put a paper into Gal Gun 2 boxes saying they're publishing Punchline this summer. It's an Uchikoshi (999, VLR, etc.) thing, there was an anime a while ago. It was PS4 and Vita, maybe they'll port it to PC who knows

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 12, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Cake Attack posted:

is it a sequel sequel or a fan disk affair. I will purchase it regardless but I'd like to know what to expect

Sounds like it's a prequel/expansion on the early life of Morgana

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 12, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Killing Time at Lightspeed is out for IOS, and RPS really liked the Steam version

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/11/killing-time-at-lightspeed-review/

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Reading through Arc 4 of Umineko today was a mistake.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Anyone play Kara No Shoujo 1 or 2? Sounds like they're good detective novels

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

Anyone play Kara No Shoujo 1 or 2? Sounds like they're good detective novels

They're not all ages (or at least the first one is not), so probably not a good fit for this thread

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Finally finished Muv Luv Alternative. It's pretty good but I feel like some of the "shock" moments are trying to be shocking way too hard. I also wasn't fond of the auto-play scenes where I couldn't auto-skip on replays for other routes.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

voltcatfish posted:

They're not all ages (or at least the first one is not), so probably not a good fit for this thread

Yea I finished the first one, and it was really good, but there were a couple of sex scenes that REALLY took you out of the moment.

Hopefully the second one doesn't have them.

Anyway that's all I'll say about that, because unfortunately at least the first one isn't appropriate for the thread. It is really good though and encourage people to get it.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
The second one is much less interactive and there's still lots of unskippable h-scenes.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So he two psychadelica games by Aksys haven't even been announced to come for Europe. Is this normal and should we expect them a week later like usual or is it bad tidings, anyone know?

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
As long as they get a physical release you can play them on the Vita anyway, I believe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Most people yes. I bought a used vita that doesn't read disks haha

I suppose I could get a usa account but I would REALLY rather not having to do the whole switching memory cards thing constantly.