Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In some random small town off I70 in western Kansas, there's an F-14 sitting in front of a VFW or something.

just sayin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reading about Imperial Japanese rations, I've now learned that Lee Powell (the first actor to play the Lone Ranger on film) not only served with the USMC in the Pacific theatre, but died from drinking a Japanese stash of alcohol that turned out to be wood alcohol for fuel.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

chitoryu12 posted:

Reading about Imperial Japanese rations, I've now learned that Lee Powell (the first actor to play the Lone Ranger on film) not only served with the USMC in the Pacific theatre, but died from drinking a Japanese stash of alcohol that turned out to be wood alcohol for fuel.

Based on what GIP says about Marines, sounds about right.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I know with British rationing, the lack of fish was because the risk of U-boat attacks led to them reining in fishing to avoid exposing fishermen to torpedoes.

If I recall correctly, fish was explicitly not rationed (gotta have fish and chips for morale reasons!). Obviously, fishermen were a bit less inclined to put to sea when they could end up sunk, though (not through the government forcing them to stay in port, more just self preservation), so thanks to supply and demand it got quite a bit pricier than usual.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mycroft Holmes posted:

every town in the motherland must have a tank in case the fascists return, comrade!

edit: one town gets the tank, the other gets the ammo

Most badass memorial:

Sadly, these appear to be sculptures instead of real tanks, but there are memorials of real tanks crushing other real tanks:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Chad T-34-85 vs the virgin Pz IVF2

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I have no citation for this but didn't they fire up an old museum tank and it ran after a shitload of oil was poured into places that like oil?

Maybe I'm confusing this with the T-34 already mentioned, but I thought thieves drove off with a Soviet heavy tank (like a IS-2 or 3) because it just had its hatches welded shut.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

Maybe I'm confusing this with the T-34 already mentioned, but I thought thieves drove off with a Soviet heavy tank (like a IS-2 or 3) because it just had its hatches welded shut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Z4IOQWNKY

They did. It was an IS3.

Its drat impressive something still starts up after 50 some odd years of neglect.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

aphid_licker posted:

The Chad T-34-85 vs the virgin Pz IVF2

THE CHAD T-34-85
-Makes as much noise as it can, enjoys getting ambushed
-Sloped armor can defeat all known projectiles
-Track pins kept in place by piece of metal welded to chassis
-Not ashamed of wide tracks for better flotation
-Carries a large stick, and isn't afraid to use it

THE VIRGIN Pz IVF2
-Hides whenever it can, never truly feels joy
-Vertical armor defeated by oversized rifle
-Meticulous process to install 3-piece track pin requires 12 men and 14 hours to complete Only has 1 ball
-Has to put on shoes in winter
-Wears a skirt

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 4, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/historylvrsclub/status/980147453377830912

Uh what's the spiderhelm for

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like how the siege burganet is clearly a helmet for aliens.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The end point of the barbute looks like Ancient Greek helmets

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the "legs" on the spider helm are hinged so they can be folded up or down so that, uhhh...sometimes you don't have to have the bars in your face I guess. I think it was a cavalry helmet so it was probably so they could show off their pretty rich-boy faces to everyone without taking the helmet off entirely.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

From 2012

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gort posted:

The end point of the barbute looks like Ancient Greek helmets

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has one or two of those.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

don't doxx me

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like how the siege burganet is clearly a helmet for aliens.

if you like that google savoy helm

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Looks like a Mosin? Would make sense, since they cost like $120 back then.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

HEY GUNS posted:

if you like that google savoy helm
Savoyard helm might work better, otherwise your results get clogged with Fallout references.

http://www.germaniainternational.com/kspecials.html

I also ran into this article on "The Weirdest and Fiercest Helmets from the Age of Armored Combat". The oil-painted sallet is pretty great.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also in addition to the conversation on alcohol rations, the Massachusetts colony in the time of the French & Indian War issued 7 gills of rum per person per week. This is 28 fluid ounces per week, or 4 ounces per day. Not accounting for watering down, that would be two good shots of rum a day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

darthbob88 posted:

Savoyard helm might work better, otherwise your results get clogged with Fallout references.

http://www.germaniainternational.com/kspecials.html

Germans and their loving skulls on poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

I also ran into this article on "The Weirdest and Fiercest Helmets from the Age of Armored Combat". The oil-painted sallet is pretty great.

It'd be nice if they photographed that with some decent lighting.

I tried brightening it up in photoshop

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sir, they have furries.

EDIT: Oh god a helmet for a dork https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--RprRdBe0--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18nudd81ddjf1jpg.jpg

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 4, 2018

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Henry VIII was a goon, okay.

Granted, that particular helmet was a gag gift from Maximillian I.

Edit: Holy crap I've never noticed the breastplate on that harness is actually made out of lames. It's got gut articulation. :allears:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 4, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Siivola posted:

Henry VIII was a goon, okay.

Granted, that particular helmet was a gag gift from Maximillian I.

Edit: Holy crap I've never noticed the breastplate on that harness is actually made out of lames. It's got gut articulation. :allears:

The Met's actually got two sets of armor from him: one from when he was younger and fitter (albeit still a bit hefty), and that one.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
in his youth that dude was a bruiser, but lots of guys like that fatten as they get old/injured

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They've also got a set of armor from a dude who looks to have been 6'6 or taller, and clearly built as hell.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
And yet Eugene of Savoy was a head shorter than I am and much thinner, to judge from his buff coat and mail

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

in his youth that dude was a bruiser, but lots of guys like that fatten as they get old/injured

Send for the breastplate stretcher

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
but people made fun of Eugene in Paris for being tiny, ugly, dead, and gay, and when he left he said he would never come back except at the head of a conquering army.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So I am reading Raimondo Montecuccoli's Sulle Battaglie.

On generals: "His visage should be serene, his eyes intrepid and luminous, and his clothing flamboyant."

On inspiring contempt for the enemy: "One may also stimulate contempt for the enemy by exhibiting naked prisoners to the soldiers. Once they have viewed the captives' fragile, filthy, diseased, and infirm legs, as well as their hardly valiant arms, they will have no reason to be afraid, for they will have had the chance to see the kind of people with whom they must fight--namely, pusillanimous, humble, and tearful individuals."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that guy fucks

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that guy fucks

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 3rd Apr 1918 posted:

The day passed uneventfully. Water is very scarce and our supply has to be supplemented by water which is taken from a tank near by. This water has been passed by the M.O. and is fit for drinking after boiling.
At 5 p.m. The Colonel, 2nd i/c and Coy. Commanders went forward and reconnoitred the front line.

13th KRRC War Diary, 4th Apr 1918 posted:

The day passed quietly, and there is little to record.In the evening the advance party of the 6th Bedfords arrived and took over. At 8.20 p.m. the companies moved off independently to take up a new position in GOMMECOURT WOOD where are are comfortably installed in an old Boche tunnel system which presumably was once a Brigade H.Q. There is plenty of room in these tunnels for all companies - they are rather damp, but quite roomy. Relief was completed at 2 a.m.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

"Don't crusade near me or my son ever again"

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I cannot keep up with this thread. I'm just going to throw some statements WWII out there and ask smart people to discuss why they are right or wrong:

Most answers to the question "How could Germany have won the war?" require the Nazis to not be Nazis.

Yes, they might have won if they had stopped at Poland, but the primary goal of the war was turning Ukraine into an agricultural colony.

Maybe they could have won without invading France, but getting revenge on France was the other primary goal of the war.

Ramping up industrial production also isn't realistic, because no Nazi regime could ever produce a functioning economy. If they hadn't gone to war, their economy would have collapsed before 1950.

There are three reasonable things Germany could have done that might have given them a chance, *and* didn't violate the goals of the war:

1) Germany could have limited attacks on the UK. After Dunkirk, but before the Battle of Britain, British morale may have been too low to continue the fight.
1a) How was Dunkirk viewed at the time? If the US Navy had to borrow my sailboat and my rich neighbor's yacht to evacuate a bunch of Marines, I'd call it a disaster, not a miracle.

2) They could have not declared war on the USA. Roosevelt had a horrible time getting the US into the war, and even after it entered, there was a long debate about whether to concentrate on Europe or the Pacific. If Germany hadn't declared war on the US, it's likely the US wouldn't have declared war on them. Or at least, they would have focused on the Pacific and given Hitler some time to breathe.

3) Not get involved with Japan in the first place. Germany didn't get jack poo poo out of that alliance.

All of this is a moot point, because even without the USA, France or the UK (and the other allies), Germany would have eventually fallen to the Soviets. It would have been a hell of a lot bloodier (and it would *really* change the dynamics of the Cold War), but Germany never had a realistic chance of total victory over the USSR.

Debate, discuss, disprove. Thanks.

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 5, 2018

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
no

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Somebody photoshop over a swear jar and replace the label with 'WW2 Alt History Questions''.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Considering how the US was already engaged in an undeclared naval war with Germany and it looked like that the Japanese had succeeded in delivering a knock out blow on the US fleet, Hitler declaring war wasn't really that bad of an idea at the time. It was a decision that was keeping with Hitler's world view that war with the US was inevitable and thus it was better to get started on it now while they were distracted by the Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Without Japan being part of the Axis, Stalin wouldn't have waited for Richard Sorge to transfer the Far East divisions to the front with Germany.