Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I always imagined him looking and sounding sort of like John Wayne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fangz posted:

In the original version of the story, he was just a nameless guy that stabbed Jesus when he was already dead, to make sure. In later versions he was a named guy who stabbed Jesus and was *cursed with blindness* as a result. 12 century sources invented the version where Longinus was healed from blindness, *and you can too, if you purchase the use of the Holy Sponge*...

Stabbing crucification victims was an act of mercy, btw.

Except according to myth, they planned on breaking Jesus's legs, but since was dead, they just lightly stabbed him to confirm he wasn't asleep or something

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but it explains why they had guys with spears hanging around the crucifying hill I guess.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

If you're getting blood in your eyes that's terrible spear form.

I'm more of a two short spears kinda guy so the red tassels catch most of the blood.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Breaking crucification victims' legs is also an act of mercy. Generally it results in rapid loss of consciousness and death from suffocation, as opposed to prolonged death over days from exposure.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
If they're just going to mercy kill everybody, why even crucify in the first place?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Just because the boss says you need to crucify this dude, doesn't mean Joe Legionnaire wants to spend 3 days listening to him slowly suffocate.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

If they're just going to mercy kill everybody, why even crucify in the first place?

Basically in the gospels they had a change of heart after they had Jesus crucified and wanted it all over and done with. There's varying interpretations you could have - maybe cooler heads prevailed, maybe Jesus was becoming too much of a martyr, maybe they just had a party coming up and having people slowly dying on the cross harshes that vibe...

EDIT: ^^^ The Jews who wanted Jesus killed explicitly requested the leg breaking from the Roman authorities.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Endless Mike posted:

PROTIP: A writer/director/artist/musician could make the last five minutes of their work describing in explicit detail the themes and meanings of the movie and people would still do this.

That's exactly what happened in On Deadly Ground. That film was loving awful.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Everyone got the Superman = Jesus metaphor when he fell outta the space ship in T formation in Man of Steel. I think most people have just concluded that it's a poo poo metaphor and would rather move on.

Aphrodite posted:

Cumberbatch.

Also every CGI or makeup villain, but because they’re wasting good actors.

I liked Dr. Strange. And he really did a good job in Ragnarok. Infinity War is like the tiebreaker. Also I don't remember anything about Norton in Incredible Hulk that would explain why someone would think he's vastly superior to Ruffalo. I can see preferring him if you're just an Ed Norton guy, but WAY better is a stretch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I used to think Norton was a good banner, but looking at the way they're using the character now he's way too smug all the time and doesn't have the comedic chops imo

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

I used to think Norton was a good banner, but looking at the way they're using the character now he's way too smug all the time and doesn't have the comedic chops imo

Norton was good for the Banner they were going for in Incredible Hulk; twitchy, paranoid, barely contained, desperate. He was basically an exposed nerve. Ruffalo is good for subsequent Banners; beaten, resigned, depressive, borderline nihilistic in The Avengers. Sadder, fearful of himself and the potential damage he could do, still resigned but less nihilistically so in Age of Ultron. Scared of losing himself to the Hulk, but somewhat more relaxed and sure of himself as Banner in Thor: Ragnarok. And, of course, Ragnarok gave Ruffalo a chance to do some actual acting as Hulk, imbuing him with a kind of childlike petulance, glee, and insecurity.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Ruffalo is the first person to make me care about the Hulk

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

:same: every scene in Ragnarok where Thor is using Banner and Hulk to get what he needs is brilliant,Norton's good but i prefer ruffallo,he's much more likeable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

For sure. Bana and Norton never did much for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Back after Avengers 1 someone I can't remember pointed out the genius of Ruffalo's Banner is that unlike the others, "sometimes you don't want him to change," and it's brilliant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was no real uproar over Norton being passed over for Avengers. His rep was enough that nobody wanted to work with him. And it's a shame because at the time he was still among my absolute favorite actors.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

:same: every scene in Ragnarok where Thor is using Banner and Hulk to get what he needs is brilliant,Norton's good but i prefer ruffallo,he's much more likeable.

Thor trying to get Bruce to get to his happy place was great.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

idk I could see Norton channeling some of his character's tone in Death to Smoochy which is incredibly endearing. He actually does comedy and earnestness really well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Norton can only do dopey Aww Shucks comedy.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

This was incredibly common for every brutal execution method throughout history. It was often relatively rare in most jurisdictions for the more gruesome forms of execution to actually be carried out as described in the legal code. People who were going to be burned at the stake were often quietly strangled first (or, in later centuries, had small bags of gunpowder tied to their throats!), people who were going to be broken on the wheel were usually executed by head trauma or strangulation before being lashed to the wheel, people who were supposed to be half-hanged, drawn, and quartered were, as often as not, fully hanged and just had their corpses mutilated, etc.

There were a lot of reasons for this, some humane, some commercial; for the professional executioner, long bouts of torture were both psychologically damaging, difficult, and tedious. Like most job positions in pre-Modern society, most executioners were born to the job by class and caste rather than seeking it out for the love of killing, and they were often remarkably humane and companionable, within the limits of their duties, to their victims; they often shared the last meal with the condemned, had long talks with them on the way to the execution place, and provided as much spiritual guidance and practical advice to the dying person as a priest or ordinary. There were also a lot of monetary benefits to being a merciful killer; there are easy ways and hard ways to die with even the most brutal forms of execution, and people whose families could be induced to pay could usually secure relatively easy deaths for their loved ones.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 4, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nodosaur posted:

You know, the whole Superman as Christ thing that Snyder and other writers are big on always felt kind of... appropriative to me, given he was a creation of two Jewish writers as a response to the idea of a racist ubermensch and the fact his backstory has more in common with Moses than the Messiah.
Now I want to see a series of Superman stories where he goes through a version of the narrative of various other religious founders. I remember a story from a cheap reprint book when I was a child where he found golden plates written in Kryptonian and had to learn from them, so I know there's material here.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

This was incredibly common for every brutal execution method throughout history. It was often relatively rare in most jurisdictions for the more gruesome forms of execution to actually be carried out as described in the legal code. People who were going to be burned at the stake were often quietly strangled first (or, in later centuries, had small bags of gunpowder tied to their throats!), people who were going to be broken on the wheel were usually executed by head trauma or strangulation before being lashed to the wheel, people who were supposed to be half-hanged, drawn, and quartered were, as often as not, fully hanged and just had their corpses mutilated, etc.

There were a lot of reasons for this, some humane, some commercial; for the professional executioner, long bouts of torture were both psychologically damaging, difficult, and tedious. Like most job positions in pre-Modern society, most executioners were born to the job by class and caste rather than seeking it out for the love of killing, and they were often remarkably humane and companionable, within the limits of their duties, to their victims; they often shared the last meal with the condemned, had long talks with them on the way to the execution place, and provided as much spiritual guidance and practical advice to the dying person as a priest or ordinary. There were also a lot of monetary benefits to being a merciful killer; there are easy ways and hard ways to die with even the most brutal forms of execution, and people whose families could be induced to pay could usually secure relatively easy deaths for their loved ones.

This is interesting as gently caress, is there a book about it or something?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Samuringa posted:

This is interesting as gently caress, is there a book about it or something?

Dan Carlin did a podcast on the subject a few months ago, which is boss as hell, and most of his listed sources are worth reading as well, especially The Faithful Executioner: Life and Death, Honor and Shame in the Turbulent Sixteenth Century by Joel F. Harrington, and The Hanging Tree: Execution and the English People 1770-1868 By V. A. C. Gatrell, which is available for free online. Also, Neal Stephenson's three volume Baroque Cycle is a fictional work that touches on a lot of it, especially the last half of the last book and the character of Jack Ketch, which is what got me interested in the subject in the first place.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah there's a pretty good excerpt from the Faithful Executioner here, fascinating subject: https://longreads.com/2013/09/12/what-life-was-like-for-an-executioners-family-in-the/

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I know it's off topic, but thank you for this. I'm enthralled.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

There was no real uproar over Norton being passed over for Avengers. His rep was enough that nobody wanted to work with him. And it's a shame because at the time he was still among my absolute favorite actors.

I was about to say Norton should've won Best Actor (for American History X) instead of Roberto Benigni, but then I thought, was that the year Ian McKellan was up for Gods & Monsters? I don't remember, but he should have won if he was. If not, Norton should have won.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/981607387256602624

Steve should have grown the beard a long time

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'd be fine if these were the main protagonists, honestly.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Why is one picture a butt

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Why is one picture a butt

it's steve's butt

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Arist posted:

it's steve's butt

You're correct, it is attached to the rest of Bucky.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I am going to be unreasonably sad when any of them die. Even Rhodey and Nebula.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Finally got to see Black Panther, not too much I can really say that hasn't been said before. "The sun will never set on the Wakandan Empire" was incredibly on the nose, but effectively drew its parallels. Thought the pacing was a little uneven in spots, but other than that I'd say it was excellent, can't wait for Infinity War.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Avengers dead pool ITT

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Steve can't die until he gets the shield back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Steve can't die until he gets the shield back.

I don't think they're going to make the shield an irreplaceable object like it is in the comics. He can still be Cap without it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

I don't think they're going to make the shield an irreplaceable object like it is in the comics. He can still be Cap without it.

He can, but it would help set up a replacement if they want to go down that road.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Autism Sneaks posted:

Avengers dead pool ITT

Mantis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He can, but it would help set up a replacement if they want to go down that road.

We are all making a pretty huge assumption that they are going that route.

But yeah, handing off the shield makes it possible but they are already dismissing the importance of unique, irreplaceable objects in the MCU.

• Locked thread