Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I'd rather that corporate entities were democratically run by the workers than relying on the Greens to give me money.
Now who's the pie in the sky idealist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Periphery posted:

The level of thought that went into writing this is astounding considering how mind-numbingly dumb it is.

You're assuming there was much thought at all, that smacks of talking-points from a helpful adviser. Oh no not the UBI advocates from the left, they're the bad UBI advocates. This is a "why are you bothering us about this again" kind of thought bubble.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

Now who's the pie in the sky idealist?

I was just thinking while we are at the green wishing tree I might pop in my two bobs worth :(

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If you have to be told that one of the key objectives of any UBI program, beyond keeping people from starving, is the generation of economic growth via social uplift; or that you offset any money handed out to people who don't need it via taxation*, then you're not qualified to loving comment.

*Of course, this hinges on the state actually enforcing taxation on the rich, but that's really not that hard once you re-gear the apparatus away from protecting capital to protecting society as a whole.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I don't get how difficult it is to sell a message of "we are going to give you money and we are going to tax corporations and other people to get it"

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NPR Journalizard posted:

I don't get how difficult it is to sell a message of "we are going to give you money and we are going to tax corporations and other people to get it"

It's a lot easier when you don't have the entire rest of your party screaming over you about whatever pet issue they have, that may or may not actually be any concern to your base, if you even knew what that was.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NPR Journalizard posted:

Undeserving poor, you shouldn't punish people for being successful, etc etc

Plus it's a huge change to the way society works and that kind of thing isn't an easy sell.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
The people’s bank idea is dumb though. Low rates for people with equity isn’t going to improve housing affordability for those struggling to save a deposit.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

That's not the problem. The problem is to sell to the corporations that it is in their economic interests to have people with money to buy their products and UBI is a way to achieve that. Otherwise, what will happen is that their target market keeps shrinking as the percentage of people who have the money continues to shrink, and that is even more difficult to sell to markets as a sign of growth. Sooner or later either the system collapses or they figure this out.

Unfortunately the corporations got to the politicians first and now we have about two generations worth of neoliberals to get through.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's true, you do have to be careful about just raising the floor on housing affordability without means testing.

It's far better to work on the supply side, by killing off incentives to own multiple properties.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

bigis posted:

The people’s bank idea is dumb though. Low rates for people with equity isn’t going to improve housing affordability for those struggling to save a deposit.

yeah this was my thought as well.

build more inner city/ inner suburb apartments IMO (unironically, this is what we need to do to make poo poo more affordable)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

The Before Times posted:

yeah this was my thought as well.

build more inner city/ inner suburb apartments IMO (unironically, this is what we need to do to make poo poo more affordable)

Which is why the developers won't wanna do it.

While houses are selling for 200-400% of their real value, they're all making massive bank. So they'll stick to luxury apartments in the cbd maybe, but blocks of cheaper flats in the inner suburbs? NIMBYs hate them, they drive down property values (good) and also make said inner suburbs less exclusively white and upper-middle class.

That's why you don't see anyone building apartment blocks that aren't targeted and rich assholes anymore.

Edit: This may not apply to Melbourne and Sydney, but definitely Perth and probably Brisbane, Adelaide.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
it's also stymied by council approvals. councils are supposed to work for the people who voted them in (ie current residents) so it's in their interests not to approve a lot of cheaper apartment blocks in inner ring suburbs

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I was just thinking while we are at the green wishing tree I might pop in my two bobs worth :(

If only we had the greens wishing tree, there would be so many good ideas we could trial, so many positive changes we could make.

Instead we've got the racist potato plant.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Au posted:

Five Labor MPs have used their taxpayer-funded publication allowance to pay thousands of dollars to a Labor-aligned thinktank.

The group of MPs have defended charging taxpayers up to $1,000 a year on the basis they bought “institutional subscriptions” to the John Curtin Research Centre’s the Tocsin magazine, which is free online or costs just $50 for individual subscribers.

Federal Icac for the love of god please.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Edit: This may not apply to Melbourne and Sydney, but definitely Perth and probably Brisbane, Adelaide.

Yeah, it's pretty much the opposite of what is happening in Sydney; there are a loving shitload of apartments going up along the Bankstown line and around Waterloo / Alexandria.

The Guardian posted:

[M]ore than 350 cranes were at work in Sydney, more than half of the total in the whole of Australia, of which 85% were involved in residential construction. And in contrast to other Australian cities, they are spread throughout the suburbs rather than concentrating in the central business district. In 2016, for the first time, more apartments than houses were built in Australia, and Sydney, where flats now account for 28% of housing, is well ahead of the average.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Meanwhile at The Courier Mail.

Now more than ever, we need unions posted:

A STORM, one that would eventually engulf the nation, was brewing.

The Howard government was in power, and the previous year (1997) had passed its contentious Workplace Relations Act.

Patrick Stevedoring, one of the two big companies that handled most of the container freight going through Australian ports, was spoiling for a fight with Australia’s powerful waterfront union, the Maritime Union of Australia.

Emboldened by explicit support from the government it set out to break the union, and staff its wharves with contract labour.

Former and serving military personnel began training as wharfies in Dubai so they could be used as strikebreakers (an operation abandoned after threats of international industrial retaliation).

In January of 1998, Patrick subleased a large section of its Webb Dock facility in Melbourne to a company bankrolled by the National Farmers Federation, and locked out its unionised workforce.

By April, temperatures were near boiling point with Patrick refusing to sign new enterprise agreements, and the MUA seeking orders in the Federal Court which would prevent the company from sacking its workforce.

A day after the court told Patrick to abide by existing agreements, Patrick sent in the goons.

In the dead of night, buses and boatloads of guards, some in balaclavas, accompanied by rottweilers and equipped with barbed wire, moved into Patrick facilities around the country, turfed out the workers and chained the gates shut.

That was 20 years ago this weekend, and it marked the beginning of the most bitter industrial clash the country had seen in many years.

Not since the jailing of union firebrand Clarrie O’Shea in Victoria in 1969 — an event that sparked the largest national strike of the post-war era — had the forces of capital aligned so closely with a government in an attempt to so emasculate a labour force.

That night about 1400 full-time wharfies and hundreds more casuals were summarily dismissed.

As one MUA delegate recalls: “We were loading a ship, two gangs of workers, when security guards jumped on the moving cranes and grabbed the keys out of the ignition. The place was crawling with them, about 100 men and dogs.”

What followed was a month of chaos on the Australian waterfront as thousands of unionists and supporters formed picket lines at Patrick facilities around the country.

Such was the government complicity that federal legislation was proposed to place a special levy on cargo movements to finance the redundancy of workers and the MUA’s removal from the waterfront.

Major Australian companies contributed about $100 million to the NFF to assist in the fight, while the head of the Business Council of Australia vowed that corporate Australia would “wear any amount of costs” to break the MUA.

Meanwhile, in Perth, authorities tried to smash the blockade with riot police and batons. The line held.

At Webb Dock in Melbourne, police mobilised to break through a picket line that by April 16 had swelled to 4000 people manning a barricade of shipping containers, car bodies, and welded steel.

As a police helicopter circled overhead, 2000 construction workers arrived to reinforce the picket and police retreated.

The line held.

In Brisbane, the picket also swelled, and on April 21 more than 180 people were arrested trying to blockade the road and disrupt freight by chaining themselves across the railway’s tracks.

This was a national stand-off Patrick was not going to win.

In early May, the High Court ordered the removal of Patrick’s mercenaries from the docks and peace talks commence, with a new agreement finally settled in September.

The dispute still resonates today as a reminder not only of the ceaseless attacks on the rights of workers to mobilise, bargain as a collective and, if necessary, withdraw their labour but also of the power that comes from solidarity.

The waterfront of 20 years ago is a potent example of what a strong union, backed by a combination of community support and co-operation from other unions — even without resorting to secondary boycotts — can achieve.

It is the sort of determined solidarity we saw with the recent Carlton United Breweries dispute where after a six-month-long standoff, and community boycotts of popular brands such as VB and Carlton, 55 sacked brewery workers were reinstated with “fair and decent union terms and conditions.”

These are the sort of victories no employee could ever hope to achieve alone, and can only be fought and won by workers united in a common cause.

So this weekend raise a glass (VB is okay now) in honour of the men and women of the MUA, and remember ‘militant’ is not a dirty word.

And join your union.

What the gently caress :ussr:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Courier Mail, Woke???

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Is that the same writer who did that anti-Dutton piece a while back? I thought that was Courier too, maybe I'm misremembering

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Courier Mail, Woke???

I think part of it, at least a little bit, is like, kids coming up through journalism aren't hard right, so it's either them or printing blank pages when your staff dies

E: same for readers

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Meanwhile at The Courier Mail.

What the gently caress :ussr:

What the actual gently caress is going on - whats the strategic angle for this. Doesnt make any sense at all

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Knorth posted:

Is that the same writer who did that anti-Dutton piece a while back? I thought that was Courier too, maybe I'm misremembering

Yeah, Paul Syvret seems to have generally good takes on things although I assume someone's going to milkshake duck him given I've just said that.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Always worth mentioning:

That the non-unionists who were trained in Dubai got the arse and no compensation/remuneration from Patricks. Never side with the bosses.
The press howled derision at the union picket lines for allowing their children to participate and get attacked by rabid private security dogs.:psyboom:
The architect was one Peter Reith. The same sack of poo poo who knowingly fabricated children overboard and repeatedly lied to Parliament and the Nation at large about it.

Lying
Nasty
Polakovs

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

All our outlets doin' a reverse New York Times when faced with the new overt rise of fascism

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ABC flips hard right
News Limited flips hard left

How much alcohol will you need?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

ABC flips hard right
News Limited flips hard left

How much alcohol will you need?

None, Aunty's been trending racist for years. Rupes flipping hard left would be a loving victory for the ages.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Isn't Rupes half dead though

e: more so than usual

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Knobb Manwich posted:

Isn't Rupes half dead though

e: more so than usual

Any update on that hosed up old bastard?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I often wonder about this....

quote:

What’s This oval office On About Now?

Australian Conservatives federal leader Cory Bernardi has returned from his Easter long weekend with a new highly personalised grievances that have somehow become national news.

It appears his conspiracies about lefties taking the Christianity out of the chocolates and bunny rabbits have taken a back seat as the very minor party Senator informs the world of some other poo poo that’s worrying him.

The former professional rower who defected from the Liberal Party to start his own party has lashed out at his former South Australian colleagues, accusing them of white-anting his party from within by considering joining the Liberal Party.

Prior to his most recent headlines, Bernardi’s last appearance in the news was related to his disgust at being referred to as a oval office by the ABC – however, his newest tantrum is believed to actually be related to politics, leaving many Australians to ponder, what’s this oval office on about now?”

The party’s South Australian leader, Dennis Hood, announced on Monday he was quitting to join Premier Steven Marshall’s newly-elected Liberal government.

It was later revealed that Mr Hood had been encouraged to consider the move by his Conservatives colleague Robert Brokenshire, who was up for re-election at this month’s poll.

With the count of Legislative Council votes yet to be finalised, Mr Brokenshire, a former Liberal minister, appears unlikely to be returned.

This internal conflict appears to be more dramatic than the internal conflict Bernardi detested in his last party, which he left to start his own party, before all of his new colleagues started defecting to the his old party.

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/entertainment/whats-this-oval office-on-about-now/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

hooman posted:

None, Aunty's been trending racist for years. Rupes flipping hard left would be a loving victory for the ages.

*rubs magic lamp*

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43626213 posted:

Murdoch proposes Sky News sale to Disney

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I thought I read that was just the UK Sky News

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

young greens are pissed off and wrote a letter to the federal party room asking them to strip the education portfolio from SHY because apparently she’s useless. this letter was of course handed to the australian. any inside perspectives?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

On topic of UBI chat, Kurzgesagt did a good video a couple of weeks ago on why it's in all of our best interests for as many people as possible to be well off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvskMHn0sqQ

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

BBJoey posted:

young greens are pissed off and wrote a letter to the federal party room asking them to strip the education portfolio from SHY because apparently she’s useless. this letter was of course handed to the australian. any inside perspectives?

someone in the AYG facebook group leaked it as well as the 'marked up' version of the SHY response that someone did--the leak is explicitly against the fb group user agreement--so the AYG are pretty pissed that the letter was leaked too.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 5, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Do the Greens actually have any method of enforcing discipline or is it just a "grassroots" free for all clusterfuck, because it seems like that is what it is.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

The only good argument against UBI is that it would be means tested by a government that keeps proposing piss tests for welfare recipients

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Do the Greens actually have any method of enforcing discipline or is it just a "grassroots" free for all clusterfuck, because it seems like that is what it is.

Yeah, if you gently caress up in the Greens you're forced to run as an MP

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Before Times posted:

someone in the AYG facebook group leaked it as well as the 'marked up' version of the SHY response that someone did--the leak is explicitly against the fb group user agreement--so the AYG are pretty pissed that the letter was leaked too.

marking up the response is such a pitch perfect example of the kind of tedious pieces of poo poo you find youth wings of political parties, it’s quite impressive

e: i bet if you asked the person who marked up the response if they wanted members of parliament to speak honestly without intermediaries they’d give you an emphatic yes - but pointing out minor typos and grammatical errors is precisely why politicians use poo poo like talking points and form responses

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 5, 2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

bell jar posted:

Yeah, if you gently caress up in the Greens you're forced to run as an MP
It happened to Ken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

The Peccadillo posted:

The only good argument against UBI is that it would be means tested by a government that keeps proposing piss tests for welfare recipients

Umm, if it's a UBI, there's no means-testing.

• Locked thread