Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Gay college sounds way more fun than the boring regular college I went to tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From that article about what has to be one of the world's worst comedians

quote:

Also in that video, Benjamin showed examples of other comedians using the racial slur in their routines. He played a segment of black comedian Chris Rock’s 1996 HBO special “Bring the Pain,” in which he talks about the difference between black people and “niggas” who drag them down.

The man is a literal Michael Scott, but like... an on purpose rear end in a top hat version. Incredible.

(The 'Comedian Rants for a Week' headline is amazing, kudos to the writer).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah this guy's strategy seems to be "just tweet through it" as he tweeted about pubes and how its fine to tweet about pubes 30 times yesterday

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

quote:

Also in that video, Benjamin showed examples of other comedians using the racial slur in their routines. He played a segment of black comedian Chris Rock’s 1996 HBO special “Bring the Pain,” in which he talks about the difference between black people and “niggas” who drag them down.

The very routine that Chris Rock retired because racists kept using it to justify their lovely opinions.

I swear every single racist committed that thing to heart. While conveniently leaving out the other half where Christ Rock completely rips into southern conservative as the white version of "niggas"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Katt posted:

The very routine that Chris Rock retired because racists kept using it to justify their lovely opinions.

I swear every single racist committed that thing to heart. While conveniently leaving out the other half where Christ Rock completely rips into southern conservative as the white version of "niggas"

Yeah, this was me been back when I was an edgy early-20s guy trying to fit in with what ended up being almost shockingly racist coworkers. If you're naive enough, that stuff can seem sort of reasonable until you start seeing the absolute worst of it. I feel bad that I ever tried to use that as a defense.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, this was me been back when I was an edgy early-20s guy trying to fit in with what ended up being almost shockingly racist coworkers. If you're naive enough, that stuff can seem sort of reasonable until you start seeing the absolute worst of it. I feel bad that I ever tried to use that as a defense.

Edgy 20 something me loved this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Back when Rodney King was the major police abuse case in recent memory. Back when police officers, beating a black man who was undeniably guilty of a crime, turned into a major civil rights case with international headlines and before the internet too.

Hindsight Jesus. Today police officers murder innocent black people left and right on camera and nothing happens. They do it with the support of half the nation and lukewarm condemnation by the other half.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hahaha Alamosa looked poor as poo poo the last time I visited. Probably not the right message to be sending to that base, not that they’d even give a poo poo anyway.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like how their follow up is that they totally get and agree with what he was trying to say, but gave him the sack regardless.

I didn't realize that Republicans were in favor of a Universal Basic Income.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Katt posted:

Back when Rodney King was the major police abuse case in recent memory. Back when police officers, beating a black man who was undeniably guilty of a crime, turned into a major civil rights case with international headlines and before the internet too.

Hindsight Jesus. Today police officers murder innocent black people left and right on camera and nothing happens. They do it with the support of half the nation and lukewarm condemnation by the other half.

I wonder at what point Rock realized that this stuff was being interpreted as entirely unironic by white people and starting to be co-opted into their racist arguments. I know he's said he's regretted the bit from Bring the Pain, but I'd like to see a something of him talking about it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

belt posted:

Hahaha Alamosa looked poor as poo poo the last time I visited. Probably not the right message to be sending to that base, not that they’d even give a poo poo anyway.

25% of the population is below the poverty line; median family income is $33K. Good job, Republican spokesperson!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Dennis Reynolds A male writer wrote a female character with a hilariously lovely self-descriptions.

quote:

I could imagine what he saw in me. Pale skin, red lips like I had just devoured a cherry popsicle covered in gloss, two violet eyes like Elizabeth Taylor’s. Dark hair curled slightly. And, of course, my boobs. I had them propped up all front and center, in a perfectly ladylike way. Well, kind of. Okay, not really that ladylike.

Women started to described themselves the way a [bad/average] male writer would.

quote:

she was not what you'd call beautiful: eyes a bit too big, mouth a bit too lush, just a few too many boobs. her hair was dark, because she was smart

quote:

She smiled, but I could see the sadness in her exotic almond-shaped eyes. Her scarf was made of light cotton, but the weight of oppression that came with it kept her head bowed in submission. I dreamed about ripping it off, letting her dark hair tumble free over her booby breasts

quote:

She was forty but could have passed for a year younger with soft lipstick and some gentle mascara. Her dress clung to the curves of her bosom which was cupped by her bra that was under it, but over the breasts that were naked inside her clothes. She had a personality and eyes.
Bonus weeabooism:

quote:

“Ni hao!!” I yelled at the slight girl across the street; she whipped around, glaring at me with exotic almond eyes as I called to her in the unmistakable voice of her ancestors.

And then the whining started.

quote:

Agreed rudi reifenstecher, although I’d go a step further and alter it to “Describe yourself as this particular author would.” There are all kinds of bad authors, and limitless varieties of skewed views. The fact that this particular twitter post didn’t die a quiet, embarrassed, and self-conscious death is proof that women are just as stupid and statistically illiterate as men.

The challenge itself is sexist. It’s not even subtly sexist, it’s blatantly and unapologetically sexist.

Ultimately though, one votes with one’s wallet. I will neither be buying this male’s book (whose writing would be mediocre even if he’d nailed the perspective of the female character portrayed), nor Gwen C. Katz’s one-eyed, tunnel-visioned perspective of the otherwise interesting topic of the Nachthexen.

The correct response to views that do not reflect reality is to respond with a perspective that is as close to reality as possible, not with a view that diametrically opposes the original. It doesn’t take a clinical psychologist to know that such ill-reasoned responses on a wide scale will only serve to foster increasing social instability and polarization.

Everyone likes social stability. Men die less often. Women are less likely to be evaluated on the basis of their biological potential alone.

tl;dr: Making fun of a sexist description of a female character is sexist. The sexist description is not sexist. I am very intelligent.

quote:

Not so surprisingly these women jumped on the occasion to show both their poor taste for sarcasm as well as their lack of talent.

The description provided by the original author is legitimate, far from perfect from sure, but it does picture what a woman character could thought in a cheap erotica genre. The genre itself is low quality anyway.

I am still wondering how women can still believe men are not able to depict credible women characters, it’s not like Gustave Flaubert wrote Madame Bovary or that Léon Tolstoï produced Anna Karenine.

Do these women even read?

No wonder I am not hiring any women and perfectly against diversity, they are not producing anything beside diversity crap.

3rd wave feminism, and the whole LGBTQIABCDEF* movement is so poorly defined that the wikipedia article for Queer resemble a satire and newspaper now publish articles about “how should you dress to go into abortion”.

I invite any sane man to categorically refuse hiring any women, people of color, LGBTQIABCDEF proponent that puts his gender/color/sexual preference before anything else, trust me you don’t want this kind of attitude in your company.

That’s the only way you can fight “female-only entrepreneurship groups”, “people of color only social events” and constant white male bashing (yes, they are even perpetrated by white male themselves).

“Il ne faut pas que les acteurs de l’IA soient tous des mâles blancs quadragénaires formés dans les universités européennes ou américaines.” (Google translation because someone is pretentious: "AI actors must not be white males in their forties trained in European or American universities," said by Emmanual Macron in a speech about AI)

And this is being said by the president of a country who is LOSING the battle for AI. No wonder why I went to study in China and why they are attracting all the bright mind at Tsinghua University and the likes. Why? Because they don’t bother, they just hire the best, plain and simple.

Feel free to discriminate against anyone using inclusive writing too, it’s an abomination, if you are not easily convinced, just imagine yourself reading an Ernest Hemingway with inclusive style.

tl;dr: I know how both female characters and actual women think better than they do. I am very intelligent.

quote:

I come here when I need my daily dose of misandry… If you think this is the “Funniest thing in ages!”, you need to walk outside your cubicle.

quote:

this is great, as it is always awesome to make fun of someone who sucks at their craft but believes themselves to be great at it. as an indictment of all or most male authors, i don’t know if it is accurate, or if its even appropriate to believe that there is a “correct” way for someone to describe a person from their own point of view. its one thing to make fun of a terrible author who is full of himself, another to extrapolate to the degree of some of these hecklers. if the end goal is inclusion, then either every individual’s viewpoint has some validity/credibility, or no one’s does.

tl;dr: Someone's opinion who is profoundly wrong about how women think is as valid as the opinions of actual women.

quote:

Here’s how I would write myself if I were a male author:

She wasn’t much to look at, but she could at least carry her side of a conversation without whining about how poo poo men are. Never accused me of mansplaining once. It was almost as if she felt my opinions and experiences might have some validity. I kept looking at her short hair, her comfortable shoes, and thought, “there’s got to be some catch. In a moment, she’ll reveal herself as just another ‘empowered’ woman claiming moral superiority over half the human population,” but as the night wore on, and the empty wine bottles accumulated on the table, I began to realize there was no Medusa inside her that might be let loose even by alcohol, eager to unleash some bitter diatribe against me just because penis.

She caught me looking at her boobs a couple times, but didn’t seem to hold it against me or feel threatened by the attention. What a refreshing change from everything I’d become accustomed to! She was 47, well past her prime, but somehow, the more she spoke, the less I noticed. We disagreed on many things, and she certainly made me think beyond my own assumptions, but through our entire conversation ran a vein of mutual recognition of the differences in our experiences, and a mutual respect for each other’s humanity — the good, the bad and the ugly of both men and women, and of individuals.

Is this what it’s like to be intellectually challenged by a woman, rather than morally judged? I don’t have enough experience of such a thing to know the answer to that…

tl;dr: I'm better than other women.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One of the worst descriptions of a female character that I ever read came from Handbook for Mortals, which is basically a self-insert fic so the author is trying to describe herself.

quote:

For me, I will never forget one particular July morning; the grey clouds that hovered over the ancient trees lining the street; the wind that blew swiftly through my blonde hair. It also spun about the chunky pieces on the lower half of my long hair, which I had dyed to be a multitude of fun colors. Today they were pink, purple, blue, and a turquoise green, but I have a habit of changing the colors frequently. My perfectly cut bangs stayed mostly unaffected by the wind except for a few squirrelly pieces.

My well-worn and once brightly colored (but now badly faded with dirt spackle) Converse high-top sneakers made a quick tapping noise on each step. I had just replaced the laces on them so at least they looked somewhat decent. My favorite high-waisted Levi’s dark denim skinny jeans—ripped in all the right places—made the swishing noise as I lifted my legs and my perfect flowy Lucky’s top that I wear far too often billowed around me. I rarely think this but I wish a photographer had taken my picture at that moment as the outfit and the background and I may have produced a cool-looking photo.

The house is big, old, and four stories high, made of wood with large framed-glass windows. Mostly the house is well kept, the white paint is slightly faded and cracking in a few places due to the hot and humid muggy weather in the summer. It’s still nice, though, and the picket fence around the house lends to its antiquated Southern look. Not quite as big or grand, but reminiscent of the O’Hara’s estate in Gone with the Wind.

I pushed my long, many-hued hair out of my way the best I could, as I threw my luggage into my car. A dark blue streak caught the light with a shimmer. I glanced at myself in the reflection of the car side mirror. People tell me I’m pretty all the time, beautiful even. I’m not sure I see what they see. I think I’m more of a cute, average-looking girl. I’m slender but I do not believe most would say skinny. Not “hot-girl skinny,” at least. I have long legs that are toned but I think my thighs are too large and I do not have a thigh gap. My arms are kinda flabby and while I do have an hourglass figure I have always felt my butt is a little too big and my face is a bit too round. Maybe people are just being nice. In a small town where everyone looks like they fell out of Mayberry, I think I look different. Maybe just the fact I stood out was what they were seeing. I know how the neighbors described me as sweet and kind, but rough around the edges. I’ve just always thought I was a determined free spirit and tough only when necessary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

trickybiscuits posted:

Women started to described themselves the way a [bad/average] male writer would.

https://twitter.com/sassquachcomics/status/981216680163487744

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Half the fun of XCOM is the variety of characters you can make. Have they ever made a Star Trek or Farscape or Lexx team? I also want to know their opinions on the Saints Row series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Character descriptions are the loving worst. The shorter they are the better and should only draw attention to a few specific features. If a guy named Ceglan Varl has a robotic arm, you mention that. You don't need to go into painstaking detail about the color of his eyes, the texture of his skin or his emotional baggage embodied by his uniform. You say "he has a robot arm and the eyes of a swindler" and you know everything you need to know about Varl from a visual standpoint. It's up to the dialogue and actions to fill in the rest of his description.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Why not fill out details organically as they come up? Like if a character starts tearing up you can say that their green eyes started to change to a misty hue. Is it really necessary to do a character profile dump within the first page of meeting a character? May as well print a D&D character sheet on the page before the chapter that introduces them.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

SpacePig posted:

I wonder at what point Rock realized that this stuff was being interpreted as entirely unironic by white people and starting to be co-opted into their racist arguments. I know he's said he's regretted the bit from Bring the Pain, but I'd like to see a something of him talking about it.

same.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Also; titties

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

chitoryu12 posted:

One of the worst descriptions of a female character that I ever read came from Handbook for Mortals, which is basically a self-insert fic so the author is trying to describe herself.

Holy gently caress, this is amazingly bad.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

"breasted boobily" is so good.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ularg posted:

starts tearing up

their green eyes started to change to a misty hue

I think there's a purple prose thread in CC you can post this in, dude.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wyoming posted:

"breasted boobily" is so good.

I think my favorite is still a long, long description of her breasts, immediately followed by "She had a personality and eyes."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cash crab posted:

Holy gently caress, this is amazingly bad.

There's more where that came from.

Late in the thread she started trying to accuse other people of plotting to ruin her success, including getting in a short Twitter fight with me and threatening lawsuits when people started reporting her on Goodreads and Amazon for spamming her book with fake reviews.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Katt posted:

Good lord. "Get your rear end kicked" sounds like fuckin' Leave It To Beaver time compared to today's "get shot nine times in the back".

Similarly I don't even know what to do with this anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

Probably "pretend it never existed"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ularg posted:

Why not fill out details organically as they come up? Like if a character starts tearing up you can say that their green eyes started to change to a misty hue. Is it really necessary to do a character profile dump within the first page of meeting a character? May as well print a D&D character sheet on the page before the chapter that introduces them.

Basically if it isn't story-necessary, it's just not useful and including it is forcing a weirdly visual idea of your story on the reader. You're writing, not directing a film. Is a character having pale skin story- or theme-necessary? No? Then why not let the reader fill in the skin tones?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
breasted boobily is the loving best username i have ever heard.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

sneakyfrog posted:

breasted boobily is the loving best username i have ever heard.

Ain't he the guy what draws Bloom County?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Somfin posted:

Basically if it isn't story-necessary, it's just not useful and including it is forcing a weirdly visual idea of your story on the reader. You're writing, not directing a film. Is a character having pale skin story- or theme-necessary? No? Then why not let the reader fill in the skin tones?

b-b-but cosplay and fanart.

Weatherman posted:

I think there's a purple prose thread in CC you can post this in, dude.

I didn't know CC was also a garbage bin. Made for literally one type of garbage (mine).

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Mods change my name to "sjw plauge"

Did you ever hear the tragedy of SJW Plageous the diverse?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Did you ever hear the tragedy of SJW Plageous the diverse?

Yeah I heard he could channel his midichlorians to make people gay.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

trickybiscuits posted:

:laffo: i'm loving dying

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

when will the vegans stop killing? WHY VEGANS WHY?!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yeah which part of that set of identities is incompatible with being vegan?

...can we convince the CHUDs that drinking anything with water in it is a liberal conspiracy and their real proud ancestors never drank anything with water in it? That viking "mead" was a kind of sand and Romans made their wine exclusively from styrofoam?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The best part of this is that the image is attributed to @always.right.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

leave gavin out of this

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"Strict gun laws" lmao

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Picnic Princess posted:

"Strict gun laws" lmao

Oh poo poo I didn't realise the attack on the YouTube headquarters happened somewhere other than the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Memento posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't realise the attack on the YouTube headquarters happened somewhere other than the USA.
No, it happened in California, widely known for its draconian anti-gun laws in the US. I wonder what horrible monster might have set these laws up as Governor.