Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Funny, I enjoyed their gabber. I must not be the only one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Yeah, the mustache twirling anime villains just seem out of place for me idk

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there a nice guide somewhere you guys would recommend for War of the Chosen? I've finished the vanilla game + DLCs several times in Commander so I kinda, sorta know what I'm doing, I just need some guidance regarding what adjustments I need to do to my strategic layer game (because I don't think it changes a whole lot on the tactical maps?).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

If you're competent at vanilla I'm not sure there's a huge adjustment here. Just make sure you're using the new systems and nurturing bonds, though that isn't even completely necessary.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serephina posted:

Funny, I enjoyed their gabber. I must not be the only one?

I enjoy XCOM going from paramilitary to ragtag Mad Max gang to Maximum Anime

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I enjoyed it at first, it just wears thin after a few hours, i'd rather just play the game at that point, you know?

It's the same reason i skip cutscenes the second time i go through a game, don't need to hear it. I know what happens, i get it, big bad, don't like me, gonna end up dead, got it, can we play now?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the chip is the key tho

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So far I am enjoying WOTC. It's incredibly schlocky. It feels like low-grade Metal Gear characters got lost in an XCOM game. The gameplay is great though, so I will tolerate it.

But I swear to loving God, if this starts turning into Fire Emblem anime simulator in future games, I'm jumping ship.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 4, 2018

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Biggest thing? Get your resistance ring up and running. Run ops for supplies, support personnel, intel, weapon mods, promotions, continent bonus level resistance orders. For the most part you can have your Squaddies and Rookies doing missions there, getting experience. You can use it to power level an officer to captain to get your 6th squad slot. The training center can wait. Not building it, your solders are about non WotC power, with normal build choices. Building it allows you to spend your Xcom points, but until someone is high level, you donno if its ideal to invest in one guy or another, depending on if you really want a sniper with rapid fire.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Skeleton King I can sympathize with you bro

It’s not like the game is RUINED FOREVER or some crap but it ends up being the same thing as Slingshot in EU. These games are supposed to be unique and the particular way the Chosen interact with the rest of the game takes a ton of attention away from both other enemies and your own GI Joes. That’s not great imo

Mechanically they are so good that I’ll happily overlook it but aesthetically they’re pretty offputting

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Quick question: if I download/install War of the Chosen and Alien Rulers to start up a new campaign (on XBox One, if it matter), will that have any impact on my friend's ability to play his own vanilla campaign that's tied to the same disc / XBox Live account? He lives halfway across the country but flies in and stays with me every so often, and in the course of those trips he's gotten pretty far in his first Ironman campaign (Forge mission completed, most technology at Tier 3). It's likely going to take him one or two more visits to close out the campaign, depending on how much free time he has during them, and I wouldn't want to mess things up for his save file if there's a chance of that happening

Is there a danger of something weird happening to his vanilla save, or can I start my WotC anime waifu run with impunity?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i dunno the specifics behind xbox live but this would cause DLC errors on steam and the game would refuse to load probably. if you can order DLC to be installed or uninstalled freely on steam, however, it'd be as simple as uninstalling the DLC your friend doesn't have on his game.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
WotC adds a lot of cool stuff IMO to make up for the fact that the Chosen are really lame. But they are a better attempt at random boss fights than the Rulers are, I give them that.

I like the new enemy units, soldier bonds, the hero classes are a bit on the OP side, but fun to play around with, the Lost are something I 'should' hate because I dislike zombies, but I don't. But the Chosen are just obnoxious enough both with their constant chatter, and their showing up a bit too often, that it feels like it completely takes over the game sometimes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The lost were so boring and seemed to do nothing but force me to click a bunch more times

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So any recommendations in terms of mods for a beginner?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I really, really like the Lost as an environmental threat. They can turn a tense scrap with Advent into an absolute chaotic a shitstorm when stray bullets blow up a car or something, and you can even pull some really diabolical poo poo like sighting enemy pods with a Reaper scout and then using Remote Start on something so that the poor fuckers sent by Advent are drowning in Lost while you sit around in concealment reading a magazine. A lot of the time they end up being a non-issue, but if they start swarming in the middle of a stand-off with a Chosen or something, things can go south in a hurry.

Lost-only missions aren't all that interesting, though. They can occasionally be fun and tense if you get an "extract Resistance operative" mission or similar really early on, but they mostly end up feeling like a not particularly challenging game of Checkers where red has infinite pieces but black has guns.

I've actually managed to get the Hunter killed by Lost, which I thought was incredibly funny and very appropriate to his status as the Elders' lovely disappointing teen-rebel middle child.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Angry Diplomat posted:

I really, really like the Lost as an environmental threat. They can turn a tense scrap with Advent into an absolute chaotic a shitstorm when stray bullets blow up a car or something, and you can even pull some really diabolical poo poo like sighting enemy pods with a Reaper scout and then using Remote Start on something so that the poor fuckers sent by Advent are drowning in Lost while you sit around in concealment reading a magazine. A lot of the time they end up being a non-issue, but if they start swarming in the middle of a stand-off with a Chosen or something, things can go south in a hurry.

Lost-only missions aren't all that interesting, though. They can occasionally be fun and tense if you get an "extract Resistance operative" mission or similar really early on, but they mostly end up feeling like a not particularly challenging game of Checkers where red has infinite pieces but black has guns.

I've actually managed to get the Hunter killed by Lost, which I thought was incredibly funny and very appropriate to his status as the Elders' lovely disappointing teen-rebel middle child.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the Lost. I am so zombie'd out by the fact that they're everywhere in entertainment anymore, but WOTC managed to give them Romero zombie feeling, which is very refreshing.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

The first time I encountered The Lost after their tutorial intro was a supply crate mission. It was me, Advent, the Chosen Assassin, and the Lost all having this insanely wild and chaotic brawl while my team desperately tries to move from crate to crate as Advent is wasting no time in sky-craning them out.

Buuuut, I have to admit I've never had an experience to match that one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I had a pretty fun experience (well, my soldiers had less fun) on a lost mission where I forgot that purifier explosions triggered Lost and well... people died.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
I generally think the lost are an all right addition, but yeah not threatening at all on their own after you learn to block ladders etc.

When WOTC first came out I got hit by that lost world glitch, though, that had them on every single map forever, and I'll tell you that was some obnoxious bullshit.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I mentioned before, and maybe they changed this, but it felt like they'd hardcoded mission progression after WotC came out to showcase the new content. Myself, all my friends, and basically every LP I watched hit the same mission types in the exact same order, which I admit I may not get 100% correct since it's been a while but started with something like: New Gatecrasher, New Tunnel Mission, Lost+Advent Crane Game.

That crane mission is absurdly hard, and definitely an early wall if you intend to get any significant amount of crates out, mostly because your team doesn't have a lot of promotions/abilities or flexibility yet. Which sucks, because you need those alloys on the first opportunity or you'll miss a lot of research/production options right off the bat.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The mission progression seems to be a lot more static if you have the DLC content intro mission, Lost and Abandoned, enabled. I've found that turning it off helps, although there does seem to be sort of a schedule that the game keeps to for the first couple of weeks to ensure you have the tools you need to get up and running.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I just found a landed ufo, XCOM 1 style, for the first time ever in X2. I didn’t even know that was possible; does it have something to do with having radio relays in the region, or is it the UFO that was hunting me from the dark event? Or maybe I’ve just been unlucky until now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anonymous Robot posted:

I just found a landed ufo, XCOM 1 style, for the first time ever in X2. I didn’t even know that was possible; does it have something to do with having radio relays in the region, or is it the UFO that was hunting me from the dark event? Or maybe I’ve just been unlucky until now.

They can only start spawning after you evade a UFO hunt and compete with normal supply missions. If you aren't playing impossible with the stretched timeline its very easy to never see them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Re: "XCom is goofy and full of anime villains now" chat, you're only noticing it because last time the anime villain was in charge of XCom's science department instead of trying to kill XCom in between long-winded diatribes. XCom games have always been goofy as poo poo, whether it was the writing or the absurd alien designs.

The Chosen do tend to ramble on, though. Makes me wish there was an "end communication" button you could use to cut them off mid-sentence, and they'd be all miffed and have a voice line about it next time you encounter them in a mission.

Also the Speaker's whole Evil Philip DeFranco thing is fantastic and really ties together the feeling that Advent is a fascist alien cult hiding behind a thin veneer of utopian friendliness.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Chosen do tend to ramble on, though. Makes me wish there was an "end communication" button you could use to cut them off mid-sentence, and they'd be all miffed and have a voice line about it next time you encounter them in a mission.
"Commander, don't you dare block me!"

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Angry Diplomat posted:

And if you do it enough times the Chosen just lets out a resigned sigh because they just know you're gonna block them again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I guess someone really likes Sneks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Angry Diplomat posted:

Dang it, that'd be fantastic.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Re: "XCom is goofy and full of anime villains now" chat, you're only noticing it because last time the anime villain was in charge of XCom's science department instead of trying to kill XCom in between long-winded diatribes. XCom games have always been goofy as poo poo, whether it was the writing or the absurd alien designs.

There's levels of it man. There is a huge difference between science lady who wants to commit war crimes (that didn't actually seem that weird in context) and edgelord hunter kid who won't shut up.

Even now the most annoying thing about the original remake is them saying "oh by the way explosives" and even that makes me go "SHUT UP I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never done it so I'm going to go try and beat XCOM:EW on Impossible. The catch is I forget how the geoscape works. :v:

What could possibly go wrong?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

dogstile posted:

There's levels of it man.

the best level was the one where the man in blue with three foot tall hair gunned down the pink alien in green spandex and the resulting explosions were made of tiny, firey skulls. followed closely by flying around in 1957 cherry red rocket powered space cadillac.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

jfood posted:

the best level was the one where the man in blue with three foot tall hair gunned down the pink alien in green spandex and the resulting explosions were made of tiny, firey skulls. followed closely by flying around in 1957 cherry red rocket powered space cadillac.
I dunno, I was fond of the part where the one boss Muton was shown being angry on his throne in an angle we couldn't possibly have gotten from XCOM's POV, pounding his fist and screaming like a scorned Saturday morning cartoon villain.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

'the rookie sighed as he drew his cordless black and decker power drill, even the death of lobsterman weighed heavy on him.'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bullshit, no-one would ever feel bad for killing one of those motherfuckers.

Seriously gently caress Lobstermen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW any tips for Operation Slingshot on impossible?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

My favorite lost mechanic: they don't activate from inactive aliens/advent. Even if they spawn directly on top of the pod.

I encountered the Archon King in a literal corner-case of this oddity, finding him trapped between 3~4 stationary lost and a dumpster... in an obscure alleyway on the edge of a large map.

It only took ~15 minutes of searching the entire map, because there were no sound/direction indicators. Apparently his patrol pathing bugged out. Maybe he forgot he could fly?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

he likely didnt have a ledge to fly to

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah XCOM 2 doesn't really model flight like EU/EW did. Its why all the 'flying' enemies just float a little off the ground and have to path through the ground while Floaters/Drones/Cyberdiscs could move freely in 3D space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

silentsnack posted:

I encountered the Archon King in a literal corner-case of this oddity, finding him trapped between 3~4 stationary lost and a dumpster... in an obscure alleyway on the edge of a large map.

I actually had a similar situation with the Archon King. I was on the upper floor of a building and caught him in the alleyway below. Tried to kill him with indirect explosives without thinking. He just kind of... sat there for ten turns, mired in swarming Lost with neither doing anything unless I moved an unhidden trooper into LOS. It was very weird.