Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Potato Minister Dutton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

X13Fen posted:

Don't all the current, real-world examples of UBI have people working whilst receiving it and shock, everyone still works normally?

all the current, real-world examples of UBI are on completely different scales compared to the idea of introducing a nation-wide UBI

like come on i’m not opposed to a well thought out UBI proposal but “well it works when you apply UBI to a tiny subset of people so we should introduce it immediately everywhere” is retarded

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
time to start building those gulags

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

bell jar posted:

again, why would parliament need to be sitting for a party to change leaders. does the government just not function/operate outside of sitting weeks? honestly the dumbest rebuttal in this page and amethyst has been kind enough to post here too

No idea. Presumably the prime Minister becoming the prime minister involves something to do with parliament? Voting to affirm them?

Not being facetious by the way.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hobo Erotica posted:

/\/\ Well done

You guys are being really weird and mean here

Amethyst is a serial shitposter who trolls and runs

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

No, the PM is chosen by the party in government, not the people nor Parliament. They can change them at any time.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Amethyst is a serial shitposter who trolls and runs

I do NOT run.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Amethyst posted:

I do NOT run.

Get some exercise then and gently caress off

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Oh OK, carry on then. I thought parliament had something to do with it

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

tithin posted:

No idea. Presumably the prime Minister becoming the prime minister involves something to do with parliament? Voting to affirm them?

Not being facetious by the way.

Party meetings should be independent of parliament, but I guess a meeting of cabinet members would need to meet at Parliament House to do it? Idk wheres someone who knows poo poo about parliamentary rigmarole when you need em

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
a non sitting week makes sense too, gives time for a changeover before labour lambasts them for a week straight of question times.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Whitlam posted:

Just gonna quote this from the previous thread.

There was a discussion that this wouldn't be accurate because apparently as it's not a sitting week the LNP would be scattered to the 9 winds, and as such would be a bad time to hold a party meeting.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

again, why would parliament need to be sitting for a party to change leaders. does the government just not function/operate outside of sitting weeks? honestly the dumbest rebuttal in this page and amethyst has been kind enough to post here too

the politicians all go home to their electorates on non-sitting weeks, so they’re dispersed all over the country. if they wanted to call a party meeting they’d all need to pack up on a plane and come to canberra or wherever which would be a pain in the rear end for everyone. there’s nothing stopping them from holding a party room meeting in a non-sitting week but logistically it’s too much of a pain in the rear end to bother.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

drunkill posted:

a non sitting week makes sense too, gives time for a changeover before labour lambasts them for a week straight of question times.

Yeah they'll want to do this especially after Joyce

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
what's the bet someone's whispering in Dutton's ear and building him up to think he'll be GREAT for LNP leader; meanwhile they know Dutton will lose the next election in a landslide and the leadership will change hands once again to ScoMo or Julie 'I litigated people to death' Bishop (though I am convinced she's too smart to ever go for LNP leader).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

all the current, real-world examples of UBI are on completely different scales compared to the idea of introducing a nation-wide UBI

like come on i’m not opposed to a well thought out UBI proposal but “well it works when you apply UBI to a tiny subset of people so we should introduce it immediately everywhere” is retarded

Isn't this exactly how trials work? Like at what point does it move from "We have trialed this in an area" and "we have rolled this out"?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

the politicians all go home to their electorates on non-sitting weeks, so they’re dispersed all over the country. if they wanted to call a party meeting they’d all need to pack up on a plane and come to canberra or wherever which would be a pain in the rear end for everyone. there’s nothing stopping them from holding a party room meeting in a non-sitting week but logistically it’s too much of a pain in the rear end to bother.

Yeah thats what I figured. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were some extenuating circumstances - scheduling it for Monday allows them time to schedule flights in, etc. Would just need to be Cabinet, not the whole party

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

hooman posted:

There was a discussion that this wouldn't be accurate because apparently as it's not a sitting week the LNP would be scattered to the 9 winds, and as such would be a bad time to hold a party meeting.

I mean see above but technically nothing is stopping them from doing it, so the fact that it isn't a sitting week isn't a deal breaker. I could even see the argument that it was intentionally planned for this timing to try and catch Turnbull off guard and give him less time to court votes, etc.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Before Times posted:

what's the bet someone's whispering in Dutton's ear and building him up to think he'll be GREAT for LNP leader; meanwhile they know Dutton will lose the next election in a landslide and the leadership will change hands once again to ScoMo or Julie 'I litigated people to death' Bishop (though I am convinced she's too smart to ever go for LNP leader).

I don't think the Liberals will Greens themselves out of government

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Before Times posted:

That's what I'm thinking but some people are certain that once Dutton gets PM he won't lose for 20 years. I think Dutton makes a fine patsy, the only issue being why wouldn't they prefer Malcolm to lose the election if they're certain they'll lose it.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

wikipedia posted:

Under Liberal Party rules, any Liberal member of parliament or senator can propose a motion to spill the party's leadership. The leader of the party then invites a discussion of the motion at a party room meeting and makes a decision whether to call a vote on the matter based on the sentiments which are expressed.The leader chooses whether to conduct the vote through a public show of hands or a secret ballot; historically it has been conducted by secret ballot.

If a vote on the spill motion is conducted and a majority supports a spill, the leadership is declared to be vacant. Candidates then nominate for the position and a vote is held among the members present at the meeting. If more than two people nominate, multiple rounds of voting take place, with the lowest-placed candidate being eliminated until only two candidates remain. The winner of the ballot is the candidate who then receives the majority of votes.

a spill requires a party room meeting, not cabinet

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

BBJoey posted:

newspoll is out monday morning. meeting for 10am monday morning.

lol

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Is it happening? Is turnbull getting Abbotted?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Prime minister Dutton is an indignity not even we deserve to suffer.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Does that mean the LNP leader could just decide never to call a spill?

Sentiment in the room is "gently caress yall, I'm leader".

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

hooman posted:

Does that mean the LNP leader could just decide never to call a spill?

Sentiment in the room is "gently caress yall, I'm leader".

I mean, if anyone would do that it'd be Tony Abbott and yet, here we are. It's probably a convention that the motion will be heard if the 'sentiment' is there.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
they’re not going to do it before the budget

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ewe2 posted:

That's what I'm thinking but some people are certain that once Dutton gets PM he won't lose for 20 years. I think Dutton makes a fine patsy, the only issue being why wouldn't they prefer Malcolm to lose the election if they're certain they'll lose it.

Dutton's job for the last several years has been to be the face of a whole bunch of unpalatable policies. As a result, he's utterly loathed, and not just due to his own staggering lack of charisma. He's exactly the guy you don't make leader.

So, of course, they'll make him leader.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
the budget is less than a month away and will determine their lines and talking points. they will take some time to spruik these and hope like hell for a rebound in the polls.

it won’t happen. give them a few months, then they might spill

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Snowman_McK posted:

Dutton's job for the last several years has been to be the face of a whole bunch of unpalatable policies. As a result, he's utterly loathed, and not just due to his own staggering lack of charisma. He's exactly the guy you don't make leader.

So, of course, they'll make him leader.

Actually those are the popular policies Australians like.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The Liberals can't get any policy they like through the senate. I guess it makes sense for Bishop and co to put up Dutton so they can get the inevitable election loss over with before their popularity gets even worse.

Then try for a 2022 election outcome with a more favourable senate.

Of course strategic plans like this seem foolish in the age of Turnbull's masterful double dissolution.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

:negative: don't play my hopes like this

JBP posted:

:negative:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JBP posted:

No

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jun/29/majority-of-australians-say-refugees-who-arrive-by-boat-should-be-let-in-poll-finds

They're not as unpopular as they should be, but being the guy who did it isn't going to do Dutton any favours.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
the happening?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hooman posted:

Isn't this exactly how trials work? Like at what point does it move from "We have trialed this in an area" and "we have rolled this out"?

the issue is that there are a lot of factors that will be different between a controlled trial and rolling out a UBI nation-wide. take for example the Finnish pilot which i have scientifically picked from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income_pilots - the trial involved 2000 participants selected from those receiving unemployment benefits, and it worked out pretty well. however, for the duration of the trial, 5.493 million Finnish people were participating in the traditional economy without a UBI. who knows what would happen if they weren't? additionally, the very nature of trials means you're unlikely to see much change - the fact that the trial might finish and the UBI might stop coming in will stop people from radically rethinking their life and work.

this isn't to say i oppose a UBI, but i think we need to recognise that it would fundamentally alter our society and we can't predict how peoples' work habits will change based on trials of very limited scope.

Birdstrike posted:

this

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hobo Erotica posted:

You guys are being really weird and mean here

quote:

Someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving RETARD, HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the retarded List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:golfclap:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well that was a complicated way of saying 'tone argument' but whatever.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

An often overlooked fact.

"Oh but those policies are cruel and horrible!"

Sure. And that's what Australians want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Oh yee of short memory, HE only drops in here to lay rancid farts and run away again too. Auspol threads are much like the real Australian values we strive to protect: getting across the lawn without stepping in an errant turd.

• Locked thread