Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Olaf The Stout posted:

I just beat the game from beginning to end last week and don't remember this. Also I never played MGS3, and every hint people have listed requires having some knowledge from that game that presents a special insight into boss' character. That's a game from two console generations ago, it doesn't seem like good story design to have all your foreshadowing contingent on a game that's not even available to buy in the current day on current hardware, pc aside.

Well, yes, sequels tend to refer to and are enriched by previous instalments. You're complaining that you need to know stuff about a character in order to guess where the character's story might be going. I mean, "knowing who the main antagonist and what the driving clone plot point of MGS1 is" isn't a small detail.

It's probably fair to say it's a lot easier to see coming if your memory of the previous games is fresh, I replayed 3 and played PW in the weeks before it came out and it was a good time picking up on all this stuff. There are still a few things that don't require prior knowledge, like your reflection literally being a different person.

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Apr 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bayonetta's design is so unashamedly over-the-top that I can't hate it. All these things are subjective but I think her look manages to strike the right balance of hyperfeminine without being too distractingly horny.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Olaf The Stout posted:

I just beat the game from beginning to end last week and don't remember this. Also I never played MGS3, and every hint people have listed requires having some knowledge from that game that presents a special insight into boss' character. That's a game from two console generations ago, it doesn't seem like good story design to have all your foreshadowing contingent on a game that's not even available to buy in the current day on current hardware, pc aside.

There's definitely a scene with Huey where he yells about DD being a wolf not a dog.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Specifically its near the end of his storyline.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Is the MGS HD collection not on PS4?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cleretic posted:

I've always been pretty okay with Bayonetta, just because both the game and the character absolutely OWN just how ridiculous and sexually charged the whole thing is. It's very self-aware and loving the hell out of what it is.

And especially with regards to the sexual nature of it, that's really striking in just how that comes across. The game's undeniably aimed at heterosexual men, but it's got a level of flamboyance, enjoyment and shamelessness about sexuality that I've never really seen in combination outside of, like, queer and queer-aligned events. Drag shows, pride parades, all that.

What I'm saying is that Bayonetta is the best possible Straight Pride Parade, and it's fascinating.

This exactly how I've felt about Bayonetta. Despite all the sexual imagery I've never seen them as particularly horny/creepy games (i.e. like Dead or Alive Volleyball or any anime stuff with big-titted 10 year olds or anything like that). Getting your kicks to Bayonetta is like getting turned on by a Lady Gaga live show - it just doesn't make sense.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

John Murdoch posted:

No, and it's the only reason why I still have my otherwise largely useless PS3 hanging out next to the TV.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Well, yes, sequels tend to refer to and are enriched by previous instalments. You're complaining that you need to know stuff about a character in order to guess where the character's story might be going. I mean, "knowing who the main antagonist and what the driving clone plot point of MGS1 is" isn't a small detail.

It's probably fair to say it's a lot easier to see coming if your memory of the previous games is fresh, I replayed 3 and played PW in the weeks before it came out and it was a good time picking up on all this stuff. There are still a few things that don't require prior knowledge, like your reflection literally being a different person.
Also, you make an avatar at the start of the game, during a sequence where they literally tell you they are altering your appearance, and then look nothing like that avatar when you play.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Nope, they never released it for this console generation.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I think it's a bit dumb to claim it's totally impossible to play a game that has been rereleased for PC, PS3, 360, Vita and the motherfucking 3DS in under a decade.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

I think it's a bit dumb to claim it's totally impossible to play a game that has been rereleased for PC, PS3, 360, Vita and the motherfucking 3DS in under a decade.

3 never came to PC :(

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I’ve been playing Bayonetta for the first time and I think her design is pretty inline with how over the top Platinum Games tend to be. I mean... her skintight bodysuit is made out of her own hair and then sometimes she turns that hair into a huge bird or a dragon.

Anyway my things dragging games down is that Rimworld takes ages to get going and it is also extremely addictive, which is why i am tired and cranky today

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've never found Bayonetta sexy, more ridiculous. The vaguely Slenderman-esque body shape really doesn't do it for me.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

food court bailiff posted:

Why? I don't own any of the systems you've listed, and I think it's a bit dumb to expect someone to drop 200 bucks on outdated hardware in order for a story to be coherent. Plenty of media can take a story that's a sequel or prequel and tell a satisfying self-contained story.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Apr 5, 2018

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Maybe people should post itemised lists of game characters they've gotten horny over.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Futuresight posted:

Maybe people should post itemised lists of game characters they've gotten horny over.

1. Grimer
2. Muk

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Sunswipe posted:

I've never found Bayonetta sexy, more ridiculous. The vaguely Slenderman-esque body shape really doesn't do it for me.

Bayonetta is a total rig

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Getting your kicks to Bayonetta is like getting turned on by a Lady Gaga live show - it just doesn't make sense.

Okay now this is just crazy talk

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay now this is just crazy talk

That's not a knock on Lady Gaga btw, just that she's not trying to titillate in her shows despite the sexualised costumes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Olaf The Stout posted:

Why? I don't own any of the systems you've listed, and I think it's a bit dumb to expect someone to drop 200 bucks on outdated hardware in order for a story to be coherent. Plenty of media can take a story that's a sequel or prequel and tell a satisfying self-contained story.
This can be the case and it can also be the case that you're probably going to get more out of it if you know the stories that it's a sequel to.

MGS5 certainly has its storytelling problems but "I jumped into this series known for its heavy story focus half a dozen games in and I feel like it would be more satisfying if i knew the characters better" isn't one of them. It's probably the most self contained game in the series next to 1.

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Apr 5, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Olaf The Stout posted:

"200 bucks"

My man, you can get PS2's for like, hilariously cheap nowadays online and likely with a whole library of games included. Hell, you could probably buy a hacked PS2 just the same.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Yardbomb posted:

"200 bucks"

My man, you can get PS2's for like, hilariously cheap nowadays online and likely with a whole library of games included. Hell, you could probably buy a hacked PS2 just the same.

There's ps2's in charity shops for like £5 + cables and wires + a controller,the guy's just lazy lol.

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Apr 5, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Bayonetta is a total rig

... is that good?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Bayonetta's design is fine. The wicked weaves aren't even all that pervy. It's the constant rear end shots and overused shiny crotches that had me going "ok guys I get it, SEX"

But yeah I can't imagine people actually getting horny over this stuff

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

KingSlime posted:

Bayonetta's design is fine. The wicked weaves aren't even all that pervy. It's the constant rear end shots and overused shiny crotches that had me going "ok guys I get it, SEX"

But yeah I can't imagine people actually getting horny over this stuff

Yeah, I really think Bayonetta's design is stylistic and basically a lady Dante. Just infinitely capable and take-no-poo poo, I do what I want. UNFORTUNATELY what that means is that she needs to be sexualized and not just bad rear end so it can appropriately be viewed through a straight man's lens.

That said it's so unabashedly over the top it's almost a parody of itself. I can see people feeling either way about it.
All of that said I never saw Dante's clothes come off mid combo and frankly I'm offended :colbert:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Dante spent all of DMC3 shirtless (under an open coat, but), though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Schubalts posted:

No that is just a male power fantasy :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I want a new God Hand, except every time you go into the slow-mo power wheel, Gene's shirt explodes off.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I still appreciate Revengeance for going in on the female gaze by constantly giving you shots of Raiden's perfect cyborg rear end

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Not to mention all the old Snake rear end shots in MGS4.

His suit really doesn't leave much to the imagination.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

There's ps2's in charity shops for like £5 + cables and wires + a controller,the guy's just lazy lol.

There’s also a pretty significant barrier of going back to an old as hell system and games. Graphics aside, there’s been a lot of quality of life stuff since the PS2 days that’s hard to go without now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Then again most of the PS2 games I've played after the fact have been fun despite the lack of polish compared to later games. Most of the consoles Licensed games are even pretty fun, there's only a few that I've played that were crap outside the infamous ones like Bad Boys 2.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s also a pretty significant barrier of going back to an old as hell system and games. Graphics aside, there’s been a lot of quality of life stuff since the PS2 days that’s hard to go without now.

We're talking about going back to metal gear solid which is available across a poo poo ton of platforms new and old,not to mention emulation's a thing for 1 2 and 3,saying you have to spend $200 is just stupid in the extreme (i know you didn't say it,i'm just saying)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Poulpe posted:

All of that said I never saw Dante's clothes come off mid combo and frankly I'm offended :colbert:

DmC had that bit with the slice of pizza if that counts for anything.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Schubalts posted:

And you unlock a completely shirtless mode when you beat the game

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dewgy posted:

That was ugly Donte' though, doesn't count.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schubalts posted:

Is that a look anyone finds sexy? It just reminds me of Liquid Snake, so I'd expect the person to keep spouting rants about genetics based on a complete misunderstanding of how genetics works.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Schubalts posted:

True, but like others have said, that's more about the badass "I don't give a fuuuuck" to the player than the sexuality of it. If there were like regular closeups of his firm butt in tight jeans or he like went briefly sailor-moon naked when going into demon form that would be a closer equivalent.

Dewgy posted:

Literally just watched this clip for the first time now, that was pretty great
The baseball bat :allears:

Even still I think that was less about him being a sexually attractive individual (which he happens to be) as much as it was "I'm so badass this is how I get dressed in the morning"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sunswipe posted:

Is that a look anyone finds sexy? It just reminds me of Liquid Snake, so I'd expect the person to keep spouting rants about genetics based on a complete misunderstanding of how genetics works.

Google Image "Shirtless Coat" and see for yourself. Looks pretty good to me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

We're talking about going back to metal gear solid which is available across a poo poo ton of platforms new and old,not to mention emulation's a thing for 1 2 and 3,saying you have to spend $200 is just stupid in the extreme (i know you didn't say it,i'm just saying)

I get that, but imagine going back to a game you haven’t played before that came out before (roughly) standardized controls, or camera control being manageable. It’s rough. A remaster or something to bring a classic up to modern standards would be helpful.

God, now that I think of it, camera issues used to be a major thing in games but I can’t think of the last time someone bitched about a game’s camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The camera in FFXV sucks, mostly in combat.