Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

yakity sax

do it. you know you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Is there any footage of emergency services personnel converging on the plane that might look better played back at double speed?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a tool to use to plan flights that also give equipment they'll be using without jumping through a bunch of hoops? Preferably something with seat previews? I like the Google flight tool, but I can't seem to see equipment/seat previews, just flight #. Expedia gives most of that, but no seating info for several flights.

Looks like I'll be flying from either YYC or YVR to Nice/Monte Carlo this fall in business class (and returning from Venice or Rome), and I might want to structure the flights around the equipment. I know Lufthansa still flies 747s out of YVR to FRA. I think I might be able to shoe-horn that in as I want to do a 744/748 flight, I might not have another opportunity.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Flightaware will do that, but it's not always 100% correct.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

slidebite posted:

Is there a tool to use to plan flights that also give equipment they'll be using without jumping through a bunch of hoops? Preferably something with seat previews? I like the Google flight tool, but I can't seem to see equipment/seat previews, just flight #. Expedia gives most of that, but no seating info for several flights.

Looks like I'll be flying from either YYC or YVR to Nice/Monte Carlo this fall in business class (and returning from Venice or Rome), and I might want to structure the flights around the equipment. I know Lufthansa still flies 747s out of YVR to FRA. I think I might be able to shoe-horn that in as I want to do a 744/748 flight, I might not have another opportunity.

LHA flies the 747 to FRA out of DEN too, which wouldn't be too far out of the way from Vancouver.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

slidebite posted:

I've seen Lufthansa 744/748s both on final to SEA very recently, so that's another option for you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks, yeah, I know a few of them are out there just to find a good tool to find the routes. I'd rather not go through the US if I can avoid it... but not the end of the world.

A 747 out and a 380 back might be kind of cool if I can pull it off.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

slidebite posted:

BA via LHR?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KLM still has a bunch of 747s. I flew on two this winter. Amsterdam is sufficiently central that you can probably get flights to and from there and then a cheapy hop to whatever European city you're trying to get to.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
There appears to be a collection of Mig-17s formation flying a search patterns over the bay area today. There was 3 of them in ^ formation and one trailing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Seatguru.com

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

SeaborneClink posted:

There appears to be a collection of Mig-17s formation flying a search patterns over the bay area today. There was 3 of them in ^ formation and one trailing.

Ack! The Reds!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Given that pattern and how it would've almost assuredly required a NOTAM to fly it, my guess is that it was 'radar day' for the bugs out of Lemoore, on the off-chance they might have to shoot at *real* MiG-17s eventually.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given that pattern and how it would've almost assuredly required a NOTAM to fly it, my guess is that it was 'radar day' for the bugs out of Lemoore, on the off-chance they might have to shoot at *real* MiG-17s eventually.

Is poo poo about to go down with Guinea-Bissau or Madagascar [1]? :ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Buttcoin purse posted:

Is poo poo about to go down with Guinea-Bissau or Madagascar [1]? :ohdear:

North Korea flies these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenyang_J-5

They evidently still have questionably-operational MiG-15s around as well.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
The real question is would the actally be capable of getting any of those accross the pacific.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Doctor Zaius posted:

The real question is would the actally be capable of getting any of those accross the pacific.

:img-operation-black-buck:

But seriously, I assume at Naval Air Station Lemoore they are not training to fight adversaries over the skies of California, they're just practicing stuff they will might do off a carrier one day?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Finger Prince posted:

Seatguru.com
Actually yeah, Seatguru might be the best I've seen so far even if it's plagued with tripadvisor pop ups/unders. Thanks!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Doctor Zaius posted:

Easily, in a cargo container.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

tactlessbastard posted:

Easily, in a cargo container.
Nah, those were MiG-21s.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Bad day for Marine aviation. Harrier down at Djibouti yesterday (pilot ejected) and then a helo down near El Centro today (4 aboard, all presumed dead).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
An F-16 went down at Nellis, too. Haven't seen any details yet.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Godholio posted:

An F-16 went down at Nellis, too. Haven't seen any details yet.

It was a thunderbird, pilot didn't punch :(

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

In AI news, we have a Learjet stall test flight today that calls for 800lbs of ballast in the airplane to get the CG in the right spot.

We own 600lbs of sandbags.

I weigh 200lbs.

I get to be ballast for a test flight today where we are deliberately disabling stall warning and pushing a Learjet into full stall, several times.

Commercial pilots will be aware how strange it is to take a transport-category jet aircraft to full stall.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can never own too much ballast.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
During the Facebook shooting people pointed out the mig-17 thing as if it was proof of a false flag attack because???

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RandomPauI posted:

During the Facebook shooting people pointed out the mig-17 thing as if it was proof of a false flag attack because???

Because there remains not a single unbroken American brain.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

RandomPauI posted:

lmao what?

1/10 troll, lacks even basic effort. See me after class.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

Genius. MiG-17s predate the internet, they are immune to it and cannot be owned online.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Ola posted:

Genius. MiG-17s predate the internet, they are immune to it and cannot be owned online.

"Let me explain something to you. Many good men and women lost their lives aboard this ship because someone wanted a faster computer to make life easier. I'm sorry that I'm inconveniencing you or the teachers, but I will not allow a networked computerized system to be placed on this ship while I'm in command. Is that clear?"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

In AI news, we have a Learjet stall test flight today that calls for 800lbs of ballast in the airplane to get the CG in the right spot.

I weigh 200lbs.

I get to be ballast for a test flight today where we are deliberately disabling stall warning and pushing a Learjet into full stall, several times.

Commercial pilots will be aware how strange it is to take a transport-category jet aircraft to full stall.

200lbs of sandbags cannot possibly cost that much.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Do you have a drogue chute? That sounds like a good way to get into something unrecoverable.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Why bother with a chute when your ballast can just run to the front of the airplane to recover the stall!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So the US Navy just bought a C-130J from Britain for conversion to a new Fat Albert.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

um excuse me posted:

So the US Navy just bought a C-130J from Britain for conversion to a new Fat Albert.

:phoneb: "Hey, is your Prince Albert running?"
:phone: :confused:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Terrible Robot posted:

200lbs of sandbags cannot possibly cost that much.

You're clearly not familiar with aviation. Multimillion dollar jet on the ramp, company can't be bothered to buy rags or contact cleaner for the mechanics.

It's completely believable. :v:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
..why would the USAF buy one from the UK? No surplus available in the US?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TTerrible posted:

..why would the USAF buy one from the UK? No surplus available in the US?

Probably easier (and hilariously cheaper,) than getting a single-airframe bid from LockMart. Though the USMC flies them, I don't think the Navy does and the Marines probably don't want to give up any of their Js for a demo airplane.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
From what I read from Aerospace and Defense Daily, Britain is actually selling ten of them to the export market and whoever wants them can have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

A 747 out and a 380 back might be kind of cool if I can pull it off.
Be prepared for your plans to get thrown to the ground and stomped on.

Twice I have been booked on a 380 from Sydney. Twice my flight has been cancelled and then I've been placed on a 747. Qantas has problems, but I think no more problems than other comparable airlines. The 747s were lovely, but I still want to fly on a 380. Someday...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I weigh 200lbs.

You beat my "I am a concrete block" story by quite a bit, back when I worked parking at the Calgary Stampede in high school. Make the Plane Heavy is way better than Nobody Parks Here.