Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever had issues in Serato DJ with a controller not connecting to a MacBook? I have a Rane Sixty-four and a MacBook on the latest OSX release. OSX recognizes the mixer as an audio device, but it doesn’t show up in the MIDI preferences and Serato fails to connect to it.

The mixer works fine on a windows laptop, so I don’t think it’s an issue with the mixer.

I’ve tried removing all .kext files, and whatnot and reinstalling them - which it does prompt me to do when I’ve removed them and plugged in the mixer.

I contacted Serato’s support but they are stumped so far.

edit: I should mention that this mixer used to work with this MacBook. It stopped around the release of OSX Sierra and hasn’t worked since. I just hadn’t had time to fuss with it until now.

Also, this is a great suggestion, but I have tried this and it didn’t work:

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

keevo posted:

If you’re willing to try something else, download the Serato program and check it out. There are a ton of controllers made by Pioneer that are for the most part solid.

yeah i’m not picky at all. i’m new to digital so i haven’t picked a side yet

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Is beatport still the best place to buy music

some guy i guess
Jan 31, 2011
I've found Junodownload is cheaper and sometimes has releases that Beatport doesn't for breakbeat styles of music like dnb, plus their player is better

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Has anyone ever had issues in Serato DJ with a controller not connecting to a MacBook? I have a Rane Sixty-four and a MacBook on the latest OSX release. OSX recognizes the mixer as an audio device, but it doesn’t show up in the MIDI preferences and Serato fails to connect to it.

The mixer works fine on a windows laptop, so I don’t think it’s an issue with the mixer.

I’ve tried removing all .kext files, and whatnot and reinstalling them - which it does prompt me to do when I’ve removed them and plugged in the mixer.

I contacted Serato’s support but they are stumped so far.

edit: I should mention that this mixer used to work with this MacBook. It stopped around the release of OSX Sierra and hasn’t worked since. I just hadn’t had time to fuss with it until now.

Have you tried the “create new midi/audio config” steps on this page? https://www.noterepeat.com/products/2016-07-06-18-34-50/928-rane-sixty-two-sixty-four-troubleshooting-usb-connection-issues#OSX

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

some guy i guess posted:

I've found Junodownload is cheaper and sometimes has releases that Beatport doesn't for breakbeat styles of music like dnb, plus their player is better

cool

and holy poo poo deekline did a i don't smoke remix ? lol

edit : deadbeat remix is niice

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Good

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how Marcus Brigstocke was anonymously famous due to being the sample source for DJ Deekline, as well as the Pac-Man/kids eating pills in the dark joke.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Oh, yeah - I have. Should have mentioned that. The mixer doesn’t even appear in the MIDI configuration panel. It only shows up as an audio device.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Serato and the latest versions of OSX have been super weird with “older” models and I’m not really sure why. All I can suggest is to re-install drivers or go back a couple versions of OSX.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

It's mostly up to a matter of personal preference nowadays. The big players have (almost) all the same music.

Personally, I still somehowlike beatport, despite a few things: 1) the quality of their customer support has been tapering off slowly over the years 2) their platform is less flexible and 3) they keep redefining their genres and splitting/combing different genres, which has been really frustrating. They recently combined two of their biggest genres together - electronica and chill/downtempo, which for me was a major blow to my workflow. It makes it impossible to sort through either of the two now due to the sheer magnitude of releases plop'ed into them.

I like their downloader apps and that you can customize what shows up in the IP3 tags. Although that too has become less flexible which really ticked me off a few months ago - you can't seem to print the label to the IP3 tags anymore. I used to print them to the 'grouping' tag, but I haven't been able to get them to show, at all, on my last few purchases.

Also the DJ mix thread is dead, so have this techno shaman stuff: https://www.mixcloud.com/mitztronic/convergence/

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

When I needed to get a bunch of music for my first gig real fast, people in this thread (or another DJ thread) recommended joining a record pool like Club Killers at least for the a short time so that you can download all of the recent top-40, the major dance hits over the last few decades, and some obscure edits/remixes/mashups. It definitely doesn't have everything, but as far as starting a library of music, you really can't go wrong signing up for a couple months for unlimited downloads.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MrSargent posted:

When I needed to get a bunch of music for my first gig real fast, people in this thread (or another DJ thread) recommended joining a record pool like Club Killers at least for the a short time so that you can download all of the recent top-40, the major dance hits over the last few decades, and some obscure edits/remixes/mashups. It definitely doesn't have everything, but as far as starting a library of music, you really can't go wrong signing up for a couple months for unlimited downloads.

For top 40 stuff I literally just get Now That's What I Call Music which is good enough for my top 40 needs (Weddings)

this is for just a regular do my own thing gig and I want to go somewhere where I can get charts for like, ukg, breakbeats, does "future garage" still exist? you can prob tell when I removed my thumb from the pulse.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

For top 40 stuff I literally just get Now That's What I Call Music which is good enough for my top 40 needs (Weddings)

this is for just a regular do my own thing gig and I want to go somewhere where I can get charts for like, ukg, breakbeats, does "future garage" still exist? you can prob tell when I removed my thumb from the pulse.

I would stay away from ClubKillers if those are the genres you are looking into as it focuses mostly on Pop/Hip-Hop/EDM/Disco.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

yeah I'm not looking at clubkillers

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

A lot of good labels are on Bandcamp too. I try to buy from there if they have releases I’m looking for as it more directly supports the artist

And they support FLAC/WAV/AIFF without paying a “format fee” like on Beatport which is nice

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Kinda? Check out labels like Food Music, Futureboogie, Saints & Sonnets

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

vanilla slimfast posted:

Kinda? Check out labels like Food Music, Futureboogie, Saints & Sonnets

kewl

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

where's the place to go to find a cappellas these days

specifically I need the vocal track only of i can't feel my face

is that something people still release?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Record pools or acapellas4u.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

keevo posted:

acapellas4u.

god bless this site for still existing

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Hey can anyone answer this in 5 words or less?

Am practicing learning to dj - what monitors should i buy? i have a garage, too unmotivated to plug in headphones

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

lmbo calrissian posted:

Am practicing learning to dj - what monitors should i buy? i have a garage, too unmotivated to plug in headphones

$150 per speaker. Good deal.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Just use computer speakers.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

lmbo calrissian posted:

If you’re just learning use anything — computer speakers fine, get a 2xRCA to 1/8” adapter. When you’re ready to invest get KRK 5 or 8.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

lmbo calrissian posted:

craigslist some bookshelf speakers. i got a decent set of sony's with the matching receiver for $30 when i first started mixing. they bumped pretty hard as well.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Thanks guys, I am thinking of going the computer speakers/sub route. My dj friend i trust also recommended it. Again I'd be playing in my garage and still learning.

So I can get a feel for price, question:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z623-Watt-Speaker-System/dp/B003VAHYTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522906421&sr=8-1&keywords=Logitech+Z623

I'd assume that this, $115 + lifetime warranty at best buy, is like, louder than 1 of the JBL monitors TheWevel linked me, but like, quieter than 2 of them?

I really don't know poo poo mannn but like watts is a measure of volume right? So I'd just go by that for now. Also it doesn't say lifetime on the Bestbuy website I think it's an add-on (I don't shop much) but I'll ask

I really appreciate the help guys I know I'm prob just being neurotic, but I'd truly like to understand these differences at even the most basic levels..

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 5, 2018

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I was gonna suggest just steal some computer speakers from work

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The ones I linked are loud enough for house parties if you ever decide to dj outside your bedroom.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wattage is a measure of power, which doesn’t always translate directly to volume. dB is a measure of volume, but you won’t get speakers that advertise that due to various factors. And just because something can go loud, doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be comfortable listening at that volume. Welcome to the world of audio!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Nobody dj's in stereo either, so just like, buy one monitor.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Noooo then the intro to Poison will sound all wrong

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wattage is a measure of power, which doesn’t always translate directly to volume. dB is a measure of volume, but you won’t get speakers that advertise that due to various factors. And just because something can go loud, doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be comfortable listening at that volume. Welcome to the world of audio!

Aye wattage is complete loving nonsense as a measure of actual speaker output.

There's those Devialet speaker things that sell for thousands and are 4500w. SPL is max 108db which is loud enough for a living room of people.
My PA system has a pathetic 1000w. SPL is max 130db full range 30hz-20khz flat which is far too loud for even a room full of 250+ people.

Wattage is a number they put on the box because it impresses people who have no clue what it means.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

lmbo calrissian posted:

Thanks guys, I am thinking of going the computer speakers/sub route. My dj friend i trust also recommended it. Again I'd be playing in my garage and still learning.

So I can get a feel for price, question:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z623-Watt-Speaker-System/dp/B003VAHYTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522906421&sr=8-1&keywords=Logitech+Z623

I'd assume that this, $115 + lifetime warranty at best buy, is like, louder than 1 of the JBL monitors TheWevel linked me, but like, quieter than 2 of them?

consider budget option, total under $50 very possible
- get a cheapo amplifier: https://smile.amazon.com/Lepy-Amplifiers-Component-LP-2020A-Class-D/dp/B01FZKA28Y
- get a couple of speakers from an old stereo (from a thrift store would be just fine)
- run speaker wire from the amplifier to your speakers

I have this as my garage setup for wrenching, but I've taken it to house parties and the like and it's juuuuuust fine

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Aye wattage is complete loving nonsense as a measure of actual speaker output.

Wattage is an important parameter to characterize speaker output. You are correct that they put big numbers on the box to trick people that don't know what they're talking about, but to act like it isn't important parameter (combined with the other performance specs) because marketing departments exist, is just completely wrong. It's more appropriate to say something along the lines of: "larger wattages don't necessarily mean more speaker output", not that wattage doesn't matter.

Hope this doesn't come across as an argument of semantics.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I've been eyeing what the simplest setup for learning/practicing scratching is and there's a dumb question that I really haven't been able to find an answer to. It looks like the PT01 Scratch is the only turntable on the super low-end but I also see that lots of users ditch the built in 'fader' for a more full-sized external fader (even if it's just a simple mono fader with an aux input).

So my question is - if I'm not interested in the portability features of the PT01 Scratch (i.e. built in speaker/fader/batteries etc) - is there a stand-alone turntable that I could use in conjunction with an external fader that is either cheaper or more fully-featured/heavy duty than the PT01? Just seems wasteful to bypass the 'scratch switch' and I'd probably never use the built in speaker or battery features.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Lmao I’m no steps closer to a decision

e: going with the jbl monitor snitches!

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 8, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

mitztronic posted:

Wattage is an important parameter to characterize speaker output. You are correct that they put big numbers on the box to trick people that don't know what they're talking about, but to act like it isn't important parameter (combined with the other performance specs) because marketing departments exist, is just completely wrong. It's more appropriate to say something along the lines of: "larger wattages don't necessarily mean more speaker output", not that wattage doesn't matter.

Hope this doesn't come across as an argument of semantics.

SPL = speaker output.
A response chart = speaker output.

I want to know what a speaker is actually capable of, not what you're putting through it. As mentioned, a Devialet Phantom says it has 4500w of amplification. It also states it hits 108db. My system has a poxy 1000w. It hits in excess of 130db, 22db louder. 22db is one hell of a lot louder, it's literally 4x as loud. Watts as a measurement don't mean poo poo in speaker terms, there's far better ways of gauging what a speaker can do.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Olympic Mathlete posted:

SPL = speaker output.
A response chart = speaker output.

I want to know what a speaker is actually capable of, not what you're putting through it. As mentioned, a Devialet Phantom says it has 4500w of amplification. It also states it hits 108db. My system has a poxy 1000w. It hits in excess of 130db, 22db louder. 22db is one hell of a lot louder, it's literally 4x as loud. Watts as a measurement don't mean poo poo in speaker terms, there's far better ways of gauging what a speaker can do.

Am I going to slowly pick up on "what a speaker can do" aka learn about sound as I learn DJing and see different equipment or should I be starting to read something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

lmbo calrissian posted:

Am I going to slowly pick up on "what a speaker can do" aka learn about sound as I learn DJing and see different equipment or should I be starting to read something

To a DJ, sound is someone else's job in all honesty. I came into it backwards, my background is in pro audio and through that I started to DJ for fun.

There's a lot to read up on regarding sound, it's a physics subject and not necessarily as simple as most people want to make out. The reason I got into audio was because I was amazed at how bad some club setups were and I wanted to know why. This led me down the physics of sound path (how it reacts in rooms, how positioning affects output, how shape of the room and materials used in construction change things) and eventually to learning woodworking and electronics which ended up as a complete low power horn loaded PA system and a bunch of self-hosted club nights with friends.

It can be a pretty in-depth subject to get into but being able to cut through the bullshit is always a pro. If you're interested I'll try and dig out links to stuff I read up on whilst learning.