Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Like, I legit feel like the next move shouldn't be either CK3 or EUV but some kinda side project, like Rome 2 or Sengoku 2, where they could apply what they know and do well in a different way.

Like, I know it's passé comparing them to Creative Assembly but them going into Warhammer has been a literal game-changer for them, far more so than their Rome 2 and the trash around that. The levels of improvement there are just insane and I wonder if the same might happen with Paradox if they too became a bit unshackled from history.

Though, as Stellaris shows, it's a lot harder to do that with their model of games rather than the more straightforward war of TW

Well their last thing was Stellaris which I would say is definitely more of a side project along the lines you're talking about. I'd love a Rome 2 or a Victoria 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Like, I legit feel like the next move shouldn't be either CK3 or EUV but some kinda side project, like Rome 2 or Sengoku 2, where they could apply what they know and do well in a different way.

Like, I know it's passé comparing them to Creative Assembly but them going into Warhammer has been a literal game-changer for them, far more so than their Rome 2 and the trash around that. The levels of improvement there are just insane and I wonder if the same might happen with Paradox if they too became a bit unshackled from history.

Though, as Stellaris shows, it's a lot harder to do that with their model of games rather than the more straightforward war of TW
I have to agree with Flavius that Stellaris was a break from their tradition, but unfortunately it started off very poorly and has likely been expensive to fix. Though it has also sold a ton of copies. I just think that the guy who originally designed it missed on a lot of things. If they had Wiz take an idea and run with it they may have more success.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, I was kinda thinking about Stellaris as I read that and it would be a pretty cool exercise in looking at why Stellaris didn't quite work out great to begin with while Total Warhammer has been such an unmitigated success that it makes earlier sales from CA seems amateurish in comparison

Both financially and in making grogs whine online, which is really what got me into Paradox

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Stellaris was just way too busy of a design to begin with. It seems like they originally came up with a bunch of cool ideas, and then tried to do them all simultaneously instead of realistically scoping and cutting things down to where they could give them proper treatment. As a result it ended up as a mile-wide inch-deep sort of thing that just wasn't very interesting.

Now that they're focusing on specific parts of the game and building depth into them it's getting a lot better.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh god, my For Odin run might be in trouble. It was getting pretty interesting too, with the Arawak getting weirdly powerful in Columbia. Early in the game, France contested Muscovy's attempt to enforce a personal union with Imereti. Now France has had a personal union with Muscovy for like a hundred years and is slowly eating Europe. They've got a decent chunk of Italy and Spain and there's really no one powerful enough to gently caress with them except maybe the Ottomans and they don't feel like allying me. Plus, the French are not too happy with me snapping up choice colonies in the New World. Just a lot of bad luck, I guess.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jabor posted:

Stellaris was just way too busy of a design to begin with. It seems like they originally came up with a bunch of cool ideas, and then tried to do them all simultaneously instead of realistically scoping and cutting things down to where they could give them proper treatment. As a result it ended up as a mile-wide inch-deep sort of thing that just wasn't very interesting.

Now that they're focusing on specific parts of the game and building depth into them it's getting a lot better.

I think this was intentional. If you add new systems in DLC then you’re bloating the game for sales, but if you add them on release and make them good in DLC then you’re improving the game and delivering what its fans want.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

I think this was intentional. If you add new systems in DLC then you’re bloating the game for sales, but if you add them on release and make them good in DLC then you’re improving the game and delivering what its fans want.

I really don't think paradox tried to put out a message of a game so they could spend years trying to fix it. It's far easier to believe that there wasn't a strong enough vision of the final product and the lead didn't reign in all the features that his designers kept designing.

Crusader Kings was a mess, but ckII managed to fix things and become quite the game. I have no doing that paradox can put out a good Stellaris 2 but they're going to have to throw out ninety percent of the first game to do it.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Been trying to get an Ireland game off the ground, but someone always seems to ally England and once they've got a doomstack on the island they like to chain wars to take the whole thing on me. I'm guessing I should try to ally someone big, but I'm not sure who would work well. France tends to have all her diplomatic slots filled, and I'm not sure if Scotland has enough muscle to actually dissuade England.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gaius Marius posted:

I really don't think paradox tried to put out a message of a game so they could spend years trying to fix it. It's far easier to believe that there wasn't a strong enough vision of the final product and the lead didn't reign in all the features that his designers kept designing.

Crusader Kings was a mess, but ckII managed to fix things and become quite the game. I have no doing that paradox can put out a good Stellaris 2 but they're going to have to throw out ninety percent of the first game to do it.

Stellaris 1 is a good game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

Been trying to get an Ireland game off the ground, but someone always seems to ally England and once they've got a doomstack on the island they like to chain wars to take the whole thing on me. I'm guessing I should try to ally someone big, but I'm not sure who would work well. France tends to have all her diplomatic slots filled, and I'm not sure if Scotland has enough muscle to actually dissuade England.

I haven't played in ireland since the update, but previously, allying denmark and abusing alliance mechanics (x is allied with england and country y, so attack y to get x) you could unite most of the island in a short amount of time. Then I went after scotland when they got into a spat with england, until finally my danish/swedish/norwegan friends and I curbstomped the english.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Senor Dog posted:

Paradox is so in control of their game design that it was not a mess that made it to release, it was a careful master plan thought through decades in advance.

[or] They gave the CK2 dev who doesn't know 4x games lead on the title and he threw in a grab bag of features from 4x games and they didn't quite gel and someone who does know 4x games has spent 2 years unfucking the design.

I don't think scenario 1 is more plausible, to me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlestheHammer posted:

Stellaris 1 is a good game.

:whitewater:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

It is!

It’s launch was really bad but it’s easily top three paradox games now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is!

I agree that it is good but I think it needs another year to be that top notch. I thought I would never play it again but the changes they made, like making it hyperlanes only and making it so influence is a thing that emanates in a static area from each star based on if you built a station there or not is fantastic and exactly what I have been looking for in a space 4x for years.

I am pretty checked out on EU4 now because its just too...something now. Too many disconnected mechanics.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hyperlanes only was the only thing i posted in the stellaris thread for months so you're welcome

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is!

nah, they've made lots of good smart changes, but they still haven't fixed the awful grind of starbase & tile development

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Just had a first hand lesson in not marrying the Hapsburgs. My england run got derailed in 1495 when my heir died, my ruler died a month after that, a hapsburg rose to the throne, Austria claimed the throne, and my ruler then died another month later. Now I'm in a PU under Austria.

Goddammit Hapsburgs.

Edit: Oh yeah, and France got the Burgundian inheritance in 1450, Castile got the Iberian wedding in 1453. So any continental ambitions I had were put on hold while I tried to unify the islands. When France gets Burgundy it feels like they enter ssj mode or some bullshit. I should try France one of these days.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 5, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Paradox is so in control of their game design that it was not a mess that made it to release, it was a careful master plan thought through decades in advance.

[or] They gave the CK2 dev who doesn't know 4x games lead on the title and he threw in a grab bag of features from 4x games and they didn't quite gel and someone who does know 4x games has spent 2 years unfucking the design.

I don't think scenario 1 is more plausible, to me.

Hmmm good points except I think scenario 1 came mostly from your head. Get back at me once you’ve learned to discuss things like someone who has friends IRL.

Gaius Marius posted:

First of all, stellaris is good now. You don’t need to wait for stellaris 2. I don’t think they had to throw that much out to make it good either, but they did have to deepen some of the aspects (and make travel much narrower).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

nah, they've made lots of good smart changes, but they still haven't fixed the awful grind of starbase & tile development

Nah it’s good, flawed but so are they all.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Senor Dog posted:

Hmmm good points except I think scenario 1 came mostly from your head. Get back at me once you’ve learned to discuss things like someone who has friends IRL.

It came from this statement:

quote:

You're claiming that Paradox sat down and thought about how to release content in a way that people wouldn't complain about their DLC practices as a main priority. I'm telling you that sounds super contrived, and that a more likely scenario is they tried to make a good game and had some difficulties.

It's very odd that when someone disagreed with your premise you started to insult them about having friends IRL, you seem to have some kind of issues around people having a difference of opinion with your theories and resort to weird personal attacks :confused:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah it’s good, flawed but so are they all.

lots of games are "flawed" but the bit of stellaris that sucks is like 90% of what the game wants you to interact with at any given time

e: basically stellaris's economy works a lot like a classic RTS economy, and just like those basically everything you do in the game is less important than how well you keep up with developing stuff on time / not letting resources accumulate too much / not wasting resources by queuing up a bunch of stuff etc. but unlike your starcrafts and so on, this is a slow-paced pausable strategy game, so the core mechanic ends up being a big tedium vs. performance tradeoff

which is maybe fine if you just want to play the game as a simulator but really sucks if you want to play it as a strategy game

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 5, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paradox developers need to broaden their horizons, so they don't become reactionary in their game design. Anime sounds like a good idea, so long as it's not historically based.

I'd like a Victoria III visual novel.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

QOL improvement: Please make there be a popup when the League War fires! It's been like four or five times now where I'm in the middle of a war, I don't look down and I get stackwiped since I was busy looking at another front.

I know I should pay more attention, but seriously, every other war gets a popup, why doesn't the League War have one?

Also, is it WAD for if the League War is inconclusive that only Catholics can continue to be Emperor? I was busy fighting Russia to protect Lithuania when the League war fired. Russia was supposed to be on the Protestant side, but welp, didn't happen, so the war ended inconclusively. I then had to convert back to Catholic to finally steal the HRE from Austria.

I am sort of bad at this game and I'm using the easy mode button of allying the Ottomans to beat up Spain/France/Poland. PLC never happened, Lithuania and Poland started butting heads and then Poland got PUed to Spain who is allied with France. Fighting the three of them at once as well as stomping Austria is getting to be a bit of a pain. Russia ate Scandinavia so they're also a big villain now. Still doing better than most other runs I've done.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If the League War goes 25 years without ending or everyone just white peaces, then protestants and catholics should both be able to be emperor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If the League War goes 25 years without ending or everyone just white peaces, then protestants and catholics should both be able to be emperor.

The latter part of this is already true. If neither side can enforce religious supremacy by the time the leaders peace out, you get the Peace of Westphalia. In practice this is one of those things that you hardly ever see just because of how wars work in EU4.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I am pretty checked out on EU4 now because its just too...something now. Too many disconnected mechanics.

Yeah. :(

I was looking at the government revamp diary and was really disappointed.

Things like stability, estates, government, absolutism should all be deeply entwined not all floating around independently.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I think the new government system looks boss and just like the age related bonuses I like the idea of making small choices through the campaign that add up to differences in how the country plays. Kinda impressed the EU4 team is willing to revamp stuff like this as well as the mission system in the last patch or w/eva.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Man getting a big shock general really makes a difference in these wars. I didn't realize vassals could just not give you tribute if they're annoyed, so instead of getting a lesser war reparations I got nothing, which kind of screwed me over in paying off loans, and then the rear end in a top hat next door supported independence for my vassals. Sadly between him (slight larger than me), his vassal, and my 2 vassals they eventually ran me out of manpower, I killed like 3x the troop numbers I lost but with 4 guys running around I couldn't really make progress on taking provinces before they'd be able to remake guys (or maybe they were buying mercs?).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

skasion posted:

The latter part of this is already true. If neither side can enforce religious supremacy by the time the leaders peace out, you get the Peace of Westphalia. In practice this is one of those things that you hardly ever see just because of how wars work in EU4.

My Pasai to Malaya game ended up with that. It was an interesting turn.

My Muscovy to Russia game had the Catholics win (while I tried to scrabble at the Commonwealth because I'm poo poo at fighting at parity). It also has an Aragon eating half of Castile while Grenada ate the other half. It's very odd.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It came from this statement:

You're claiming that Paradox sat down and thought about how to release content in a way that people wouldn't complain about their DLC practices as a main priority. I'm telling you that sounds super contrived, and that a more likely scenario is they tried to make a good game and had some difficulties.

It's very odd that when someone disagreed with your premise you started to insult them about having friends IRL, you seem to have some kind of issues around people having a difference of opinion with your theories and resort to weird personal attacks :confused:

Nah, it wasn't that you disagreed with me. It was how you disagreed with me and also just knowing your posting style.

As far as substance goes, I may have been a bit sarcastic but it sure is easier to make existing systems better than it is to integrate new systems in DLC. It doesn't make paradox evil capitalists, but it does mean they thought about the future of their game when designing it.

feller fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 6, 2018

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

skasion posted:

I'm doing a cheesy Ottomans > Georgia > Byzantium > Rome (eventually) and it's gotten to the silly point. Had two bits of good luck this game. First, I got a lucky PU with Burgundy that had a lot of lost cores I could use to beat up on the dutch for. Second, the Peace of Westphalia fired in a 30 Years War I had no part of.

Now I've got 4 prince vassals and a king after several queens, so it's going to get even sillier and I'll go full HRE eventually.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

sloshmonger posted:

I'm doing a cheesy Ottomans > Georgia > Byzantium > Rome (eventually) and it's gotten to the silly point. Had two bits of good luck this game. First, I got a lucky PU with Burgundy that had a lot of lost cores I could use to beat up on the dutch for. Second, the Peace of Westphalia fired in a 30 Years War I had no part of.

Now I've got 4 prince vassals and a king after several queens, so it's going to get even sillier and I'll go full HRE eventually.
so what you're saying is that once you mend the schism, you'll be holy, roman and an emperor

and also

head of the HRE

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Does anyone know if forcing a state to give cores back to a 3rd party in a peace treaty also gives them a truce with that 3rd party?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

HRE questions: the only way to get Imperial Authority are adding provinces + the monthly tick-up, correct? Forcing religion or forcing the return of provinces/release of princes only influences the monthly tick-up?

Basically, other than adding provinces there is no "+1 IA" action?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you get 10 every successive reeelection and you get some for winning a defensive call to arms if someone attacks a prince i think

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why is there a random new world but not a custom new world

What if I just want to add like, Atlantis, Mu or the Obsidian Empire and Vinland to the actual game map? How do I add new nations to the game? I can't seem to add the Jomsvikings in, do I need to change a provinces culture/religion first?

edit: I just opted into the beta and apparently colonialism being spawned less in the West is a mistake and just, uggghhhh

It spawning in Taiwan in my current game was loving awesome. Figuring out what of the random nonsense I'd done at game start triggered that was hilarious

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 6, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can add them as custom nations when starting a new game, but not adding any provinces or islands of course.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Why is there a random new world but not a custom new world

What if I just want to add like, Atlantis, Mu or the Obsidian Empire and Vinland to the actual game map? How do I add new nations to the game? I can't seem to add the Jomsvikings in, do I need to change a provinces culture/religion first?

edit: I just opted into the beta and apparently colonialism being spawned less in the West is a mistake and just, uggghhhh

It spawning in Taiwan in my current game was loving awesome. Figuring out what of the random nonsense I'd done at game start triggered that was hilarious

Vinland is the default name for the Canadian colonial region when colonizing as Norway.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Finally managed to get Around the World in 80 Years.

Advice:
- Get a government type you're comfortable with. I went with Ambrosian Republic because having a 6/6/6 for most of the game is really good
- You can *only* take provinces in the british region in the nation creator. Originally this achievement allowed you to start with Malta/Madeira/Iceland, which made things significantly easier! Therefore, my suggestion would be to start in London, and take everything English/Scottish except for a single, preferrably landlocked, english province (Oxford is a good example).
- Exploration > a military idea (i like quality). You won't get a third group.
- You'll probably want the first unlocked national idea to be Colonial Range, since it'll unlock at the same time as Exploration's colonial range buff.
- Military traditions are good as hell and, if you combine them with a solid tech group (like ottomans), you'll crush everyone in the crucial early game wars.
- Ming is the final boss!
- If France eats England, you can form it. This gets you a bunch of missions, the most notable of which is a free claim on Bengal. Use it!

General strategy:
At game start, spy on England and Denmark. Claim Oxford and whatever norwegian province you want (faroe, orkney), and DOW england as soon as you can. You may have to deal with Castille, which will make things harder than if it's just England and Portugal.

Close out the war ASAP taking Porto (or, if castille is in, galicia) and Oxford. You can't get the azores/madeira, sadly.

No-CB fezzan and vassalize them. You'll be using them to eat Suez later.

Take iceland from norway with the CB you fabricated.

When you have iceland and vassalized fezzan, you can take on the mamluks. You'll probably need a lot of dudes! Give all occupied provinces to Fezzan and have them take only what is necessary so they can core Suez (should be 4 provinces). When you can start coring Fezzan's poo poo, seize the province north of suez, core it, seize suez, and by the time you're done coring it you should be ready to start conquering in India.

From here on out, you can pick your own strategy. I like going through one of the central american minors (Kiche, usually) and conquering a province on the west coast and one on the east coast so I can have naval range on the pacific ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
These missions really, really weaken smaller nations, especially if they're trying for colonialism. All those lil missions are gone and not much replaced them.

It's especially weird to see just how huge the disparity is between nations: my rewards for kicking the rear end of the colonizers is gently caress all and if I'm African I'm given rewards for going into Iberia but no way to do so

it's like they still don't quite get what the gently caress "missions" are supposed to be

And also, not having smaller, dynamic missions tied to ideas is a waste. That way you could have it tied into different nations, so if you took exploration, you'd get access to the old colonizing missions or some such thing.