Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yes yes thank you for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homeless snail posted:

why was there an actraiser 2 trading card, did Topps make an enix game line

poo poo there must've been

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Actraiser was one of two games we rented when we first got our SNES(The other was Super Play Action Football). I remember the disappointment both my older brother and I had when we rented Actraiser 2 years later.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Does anyone know the story with Actraiser 2? Like, was it just some unrelated game that they tweaked to make it Actraiser 2 for easy sequel bucks or did they really think it was a good idea to make a sequel to a game and remove the major component that made the first one well-liked, memorable and different?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

no, actraiser 2 is incredibly verifiably an actraiser game, it even has the mode 7 stuff where you fly your sky castle around to pick the next stage... you just don't build cities while you're there. actraiser 1 had a mode that was just the side scrolling stages too, I'm guessing they just listened to the wrong people that said those were the best part

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 5, 2018

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah I know all about Actraiser 1, but I've only seen a little of 2 and have never had any desire to engage with it knowing what it lacks. I just thought there might be a weird game dev story to explain what happened for it to end up like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Enix legit thought their game would be more popular if they removed the 'boring sim part' that's it. Tbf even it did still have them the action stages are so loving bad it wouldn't save it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

exquisite tea posted:

Actraiser 2 was one of the very first times from my childhood that I realized games could suck.

I realized how bad games could be pretty quickly because I had relatives that knew I liked games but had no concept of what a good game was. That's how I ended up playing poo poo like an M&Ms platformer on the gameboy color.

That poo poo continued for years too. Lemme say its really awkward to have your grandma ask if you enjoyed her gift of "Elf Bowling DS".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
my first console game was bubsy on snes, so all games are good to me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Truth be told I like most of the games I play, very few end up leaving me with a negative impression. +10 if I care enough to finish it though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Man, I knew there were rubbish games out there from the get go, we had a Commodore 64

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had an 8-bit computer and nothing but £2 Codemasters games but it was at age where I was too young to really know they were bad and just played whatever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I once got Iggy's Wreckin' Balls for my birthday :negative:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rarity posted:

I once got Iggy's Wreckin' Balls for my birthday :negative:

its a good game

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I had an 8-bit computer and nothing but £2 Codemasters games but it was at age where I was too young to really know they were bad and just played whatever.

I was old enough to read, so old enough to see when a bad text adventure was a bad text adventure (sometimes with random adult scenes!)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I was old enough to read, so old enough to see when a bad text adventure was a bad text adventure (sometimes with random adult scenes!)

"Man, what's this MPF game on this disk with like 20 games on it my brother got"

*boots*

"Hey bro, what's 'MAD PARTY FUCKER' about?"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

wizard on a water slide posted:

The durability system in BOTW is fine if you don't get hung up on stupid poo poo like killing every single monster you see when you first run into them, tho it would've been cool to have a high level feature where you can use resources (like star frags or dragon scales or something) to make weapons indestructible; late in the game the durability system is completely irrelevant because tons of monsters have good weapons, you can go anywhere to loot them from their spawns quickly, and you have the Master Sword so eventually I don't think there's any substantive harm in letting people use a katana forever if it's very important to them

The durability system in fact makes that latter thing one of the most Epic Winning power-ups in gaming history, on par with the Lordvessel in Dark Souls or the Soul of Bat in SOTN, because it fundamentally changes how you engage with and experience the game

BOTW: good

The durability system is good once you realize the game is basically Sticker Star and you're better off ignoring 95% of combat because the outcome will just be trading your weapons for identical ones with lower numbers. The less you engage with it the better it is, genius!

The worst thing about it is that it was obviously designed with quick swapping between weapons using the Wii U touch screen but you can't do that even if you're playing on the Wii U so instead you either have to kill the flow of gameplay by opening the menu or using their hotkeys which are still slow and bad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

"Man, what's this MPF game on this disk with like 20 games on it my brother got"

*boots*

"Hey bro, what's 'MAD PARTY FUCKER' about?"

in middle school we would trade each other rare pokemon rude names and then my parents would make me let my sister play my cart. she would read everything out loud like the show because she was like four.

poo poo EATER!!!!?!! USED HYDRO PUMP!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The White Dragon posted:

in middle school we would trade each other rare pokemon rude names and then my parents would make me let my sister play my cart. she would read everything out loud like the show because she was like four.

poo poo EATER!!!!?!! USED HYDRO PUMP!

folks raise your hand if your s-eater always had a move set like

Water Gun
Surf
Hydro Pump
Hyper Beam !!

😹✊😤

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I beat Actraiser back in the day on cart, but IIRC the boss rush required all the 1-ups and the highest level I could muster (which wasn't the max, I think you could screw up your town expansions somehow and make it so they would peak pre-max level, even if you wiped the town with earthquake) to squeak by.

BOTW's weapon durability was OK for the most part, it made sense in the context of it was otherwise pretty trivial to get some stuff with really high attack values inside Hyrule castle even at the beginning, although the game did need some tweaking with it, like a better way to tell where your weapon's durability was currently at, and IMO the weapons you got as rewards from the guardians should have had higher durability and been easier to repair. Maybe in the next game...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

All this talk of actraiser being hard seems odd to me, I never thought the platformer sections were that tough or bad and I beat professional mode when I was like 12. I think I might have even beaten the Playchoice version once which is professional mode with some variations IIRC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

While I don't remember it being particularly rough, a few of the bosses were annoying like that floating one mentioned earlier, as well as that plant Act 1 boss, basically any boss which made it tricky to hit it more than once or twice at a time, just made it a slog.

Also one of the big challenges in Professional mode was the waterfall dragon Act 1 Boss, as they removed the game's only beam power-up which did double damage and let you hit it at a distance.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Does anyone know the story with Actraiser 2? Like, was it just some unrelated game that they tweaked to make it Actraiser 2 for easy sequel bucks or did they really think it was a good idea to make a sequel to a game and remove the major component that made the first one well-liked, memorable and different?

The translator told Enix that the US didn't like the sim parts, iirc...

Looking for the interview where I read this rn... found it, it was the producer from Enix USA.

http://gaming.moe/?p=331

quote:

ActRaiser 2 – This was one of my first – and most important – mistakes in my career. At the time, I was convinced that players wanted action. They wanted to be challenged and pushed to new levels. I pushed Enix away from retaining the sim part of ActRaiser and toward a more challenging action title. I made that decision because I believed I knew what the consumer wanted. The release of that game taught me quite a bit about the need to really listen to consumers. You can’t get caught up in making games for yourself believing that you speak for the consumer. You have to take the time to really hear what people have to say, read all the feedback, read all the comments, truly understand what people seek in their experiences. I removed the soul from ActRaiser and that was a really tough lesson to learn, but it’s one that has really helped me along the way.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 5, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Shots of the Spyro remaster got leaked:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pfft. A spinoff for that one guy from Skylanders?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

The translator told Enix that the US didn't like the sim parts, iirc...

Looking for the interview where I read this rn... found it, it was the producer from Enix USA.

http://gaming.moe/?p=331

I seriously have to wonder when he made that call because SimCity on the SNES was an instant hit and Actraiser released three months after in America.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Actraiser 2 was one of the very first times from my childhood that I realized games could suck.

For me... it was Towers. Deadly Towers.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
September's becoming a busy month. We might see Smash Bros Switch release around that time as well alongside the Switch's paid online service.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sunning posted:

September's becoming a busy month. We might see Smash Bros Switch release around that time as well alongside the Switch's paid online service.

Ooh, launching Smash the day that Switch Online goes paid would be quite a spicy move.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I tried to play trackmania Turbo last night but I couldn't figure out what my Ubisoft log in information was

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm about 16 hours into Dark Souls 3 an it's fun and looks good but it doesn't seem anywhere near as interesting as the first one. At the cathedral with the huge smashy fist guys. Does it get better sometime soon? I got obsessed with the metroidy world in DS1 but never rated DS2 enough to finish it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just finished chapter 5 (I think) of Yakuza 0

Is it bad I find Majima more interesting the Kiryu? It might be because I haven't seen stoneface in awhile but Majima seems way more fun.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Majima's intro is the best introduction for a character I've ever seen, it's only fair you're more interested in his side.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just finished chapter 5 (I think) of Yakuza 0

Is it bad I find Majima more interesting the Kiryu? It might be because I haven't seen stoneface in awhile but Majima seems way more fun.

Majima is way cooler and more fun than Kiryu. They kind of screwed up by making the character who isn't playable anywhere else in the series have way better fighting-styles and mini-games than the MC.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

I tried to play trackmania Turbo last night but I couldn't figure out what my Ubisoft log in information was

Mine is user2034985378320 what's yours?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

Majima is way cooler and more fun than Kiryu. They kind of screwed up by making the character who isn't playable anywhere else in the series have way better fighting-styles and mini-games than the MC.

Yakuza 0 also gave Majima a more sympathetic backstory than Kiryu

Akiyama is still Best Boy though

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I like how Kiryu is always kinda grossed out by Mr. Libido, while Majima finds him a kindred spirit. After talking to him a couple times Majima is just like "hmm, yeah I guess I'm a pervert too."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Aaaaay sup people

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm the weirdo whose favorite parts of Yakuza 5 were the part playing as Haruka followed by the parts playing as Saejima and Shinada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I never did finish Yakuza 5. I got up to the part after the mountain village you make it to after escaping from prison, and then the game got really boring and tedious to me.

• Locked thread