Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Oddly enough, creating the ISOs from the .esd files, it maxes out every core plus the hyperthread ones. I made my own ISO to upgrade my computer, installed it, then rebooted. Then I wanted to create the x86 and x64 Home images, so I did that, and immediately under load, the system is very responsive vs before the update, that same process completely dragged down the GUI to the point clicking something had 2-3 seconds of lag. Whoa.

:siren: :fap: :flashfap: :fap: :siren:

drat, I know what I'm doing tonight ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I'm finding the new update to be a lot smoother and nicer. So far nothing is broke apart from the super hacky things you'd expect to break (e.g. Glass8, 7 Taskbar Tweaker), and the fluent stuff combined with WinAero tweaker is starting to make Glass8 less necessary.

Note: I did a "keep personal files only" install. Upgrades may well be poo poo.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My upgrade worked well so far. Will update if odd crap happens.

OK Odd crap happened. I was testing an Intel 750 NVMe with crystal disk benchmark. I know i've run this before and it's never maxed my CPU out %100 and made my cursor start lagging. My guess it is not the Ultimate Performance mode, but rather the Intel meltdown/spectre patches causing massive overhead.

[edit] And so I tried all the power modes, Balanced does the same thing but less so, so the cursor jerks a bit less. I'd say both ultimate performance mode and the intel patches pretty much nail the system responsiveness under %100 nvme loads. On the other hand, I get like %10 better performance out of Ultimate performance mode just looking at the disk benchmark.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 6, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 Pro (from a USB stick) and let it do whatever it needed to update and such. Before installing anything else I went to enable WSL but on reboot the feature was turned back off again. Doing this again didn’t change the outcome. I did some searching and eventually realized that one of the cumulative updates (2018-03 I think) refused to install itself. Windows Update would download it, and then it would tell me I needed to reboot to finish installing it. But rebooting my PC just gave me a notification that some updates couldn’t be installed and if I went to Windows Update again it would tell me that it was downloading and then that I needed to reboot.

Anyway long story short I tried every single suggestion I could find about Windows updates not installing and in the end I had to “reset this PC (keep my files)”. Now all the updates install and WSL and Ubuntu are installed.

Why in the world would this be an issue with a fresh clean install :shrug:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

I did some searching and eventually realized that one of the cumulative updates (2018-03 I think) refused to install itself. Windows Update would download it, and then it would tell me I needed to reboot to finish installing it. But rebooting my PC just gave me a notification that some updates couldn’t be installed and if I went to Windows Update again it would tell me that it was downloading and then that I needed to reboot.

Anyway long story short I tried every single suggestion I could find about Windows updates not installing and in the end I had to “reset this PC (keep my files)”. Now all the updates install and WSL and Ubuntu are installed.

Why in the world would this be an issue with a fresh clean install :shrug:
That update has been there for a month for me as well. I even reset and reinstalled windows from install media 3 times to fix an unrelated issue (that I couldn't fix in the end. bah) and it still refuses to install.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Did the update. Full screen mode in Edge is a hell of a lot more useful now that you can pull down the entire top bar.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Windows UI sure seems very high quality
https://i.imgur.com/8hcvxgk.gifv

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am definitely seeing some weird effects like that now, where UI elements jump around a lot, especially when rotating my tablet with Edge.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That feature on the windows update screen has been a thing for a while now. Every time the text updates (and since it shows % downloaded/installed it updates a lot) in that window, the scrollbar resets.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's been about three years since 10 came out. Is there any compelling reason to move to it from 7 yet? What's the deal with the data collection stuff?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sininu posted:

That update has been there for a month for me as well. I even reset and reinstalled windows from install media 3 times to fix an unrelated issue (that I couldn't fix in the end. bah) and it still refuses to install.

How's your memory holding up to testing?

The UI on touchscreen laptops goes from quite good to total poo poo ya. It bothers me, I get designer OCD.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 7, 2018

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

How's your memory holding up to testing?

The UI on touchscreen laptops goes from quite good to total poo poo ya. It bothers me, I get designer OCD.

Could you elaborate what you mean by that? I'm confused.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Repeated reinstalls fixing or changing issues happened when I had memory on the edge of stability.

Seemed worth asking even though you said the problem persisted.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Repeated reinstalls fixing or changing issues happened when I had memory on the edge of stability.

Seemed worth asking even though you said the problem persisted.

My issue was that I reset Windows because i had issues with 3 different development programs co-operating and I hadn't done it in a while.
After Windows reset was done MSI Afterburner and Nvidia Inspector would be super laggy - refreshing their windows and reacting to my input once per 3 seconds.

I reset Windows again, made an install media and tried that, even used install media that was one major version behind because I thought maybe the issue was only there for fresh version of current Windows build. Nope still the same issue.
Then I tried W8.1 just to see if the it would change anything and surprisingly the problem was still kind of there. Took about half a second for those programs to react to input which occasionally happened before when everything was ok. I really don't like some aspects of W8 though so after finding that out I decided to accept the issue and went back to 10.

After that I have found out that when my dedicated Nvidia GPU is disabled those programs are smooth as butter and the problem just disappears whenever a game using the GPU is running. Weird as heck.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 7, 2018

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if it's newsworthy but I just did a fresh W10 install on 4 Apr with a Win7Pro key. So keep on cranking up those old keys if you got 'em.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sininu posted:

My issue was that I reset Windows because i had issues with 3 different development programs co-operating and I hadn't done it in a while.
After Windows reset was done MSI Afterburner and Nvidia Inspector would be super laggy - refreshing their windows and reacting to my input once per 3 seconds.

I reset Windows again, made an install media and tried that, even used install media that was one major version behind because I thought maybe the issue was only there for fresh version of current Windows build. Nope still the same issue.
Then I tried W8.1 just to see if the it would change anything and surprisingly the problem was still kind of there. Took about half a second for those programs to react to input which occasionally happened before when everything was ok. I really don't like some aspects of W8 though so after finding that out I decided to accept the issue and went back to 10.

After that I have found out that when my dedicated Nvidia GPU is disabled those programs are smooth as butter and the problem just disappears whenever a game using the GPU is running. Weird as heck.

Did you reinstall your nvidia drivers after the windows reset?

If you did and it still had issues, did you try a different (older) driver version?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

astral posted:

Did you reinstall your nvidia drivers after the windows reset?

If you did and it still had issues, did you try a different (older) driver version?

I reinstalled the drivers every time because otherwise the GPU wouldn't be visible nor usable by anything.

I used the latest drivers that I was also using before the first Reset when those programs worked fine. I'm not going to reinstall my Windows again for this because I'm tired of doing it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have Enterprise Win 10 on my home PC. How do I change it to the "Win 10 for workstations" which gives a performance boost, apparantly? I have MSDN.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's no upgrade path from Enterprise to Pro for Workstations. You have to do a downgrade install of Pro, then get your key from MSDN and upgrade to Pro for Workstations.

If your Enterprise is E3 then you'll even skip straight back into Enterprise without a reboot.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Too much bother. Will get pro for workstations next time I rebuild.

Thank you for the info though!

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Am I wrong or is the main performance boost for workstations that it keeps the CPU at it's max frequency at all times? At least as far as putting this on a normal desktop goes.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have an idiot question, setting up a new laptop.

In a helpdoc I'm reading it says I can find the files I need "in the paths %HOME%, %VIM% and %USERPROFILE%". How do I see what those variables evaluate to on my machine? For some reason my brain said to run

code:
echo %HOME%
but that just echo's %HOME%.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Careful Drums posted:

In a helpdoc I'm reading it says I can find the files I need "in the paths %HOME%, %VIM% and %USERPROFILE%". How do I see what those variables evaluate to on my machine? For some reason my brain said to run

code:
echo %HOME%

The non-commandline way is to paste those paths into file explorer.

You probably are looking for SET though.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 7, 2018

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Careful Drums posted:

code:
echo %HOME%
You can just enter %USERPROFILE% on the commandline and it will tell you that it's not a recognized command, but it will expand it to what it represents in that meassage. There must be a proper way, but I don't know it.

Edit: the right command is "SET", which will display a list of these and what they represent.

e: not only have to check before posting, but check before editing as well!

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 7, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Both my laptop and gaming PC updated to 1803 overnight. The build seems to work perfectly fine. I'm not in any Insider programs either.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Steakandchips posted:

I have Enterprise Win 10 on my home PC. How do I change it to the "Win 10 for workstations" which gives a performance boost, apparantly? I have MSDN.

You put in this key: NRG8B-VKK3Q-CXVCJ-9G2XF-6Q84J

reboot and activate using your enterprise license service.

quote:

There's no upgrade path from Enterprise to Pro for Workstations. You have to do a downgrade install of Pro, then get your key from MSDN and upgrade to Pro for Workstations

I put in that key above, rebooted, now I have Pro for Workstations. This is coming from Enterprise. So no, that seems incorrect.

quote:

Am I wrong or is the main performance boost for workstations that it keeps the CPU at it's max frequency at all times? At least as far as putting this on a normal desktop goes.

No, it seems faster and its not locking the processor at the max turbo speed. I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 8, 2018

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Giving me a key sounds suspicious.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Steakandchips posted:

These keys are on Microsofts webpage.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Steakandchips posted:

It's a 'conversion' key. There are a bunch for different versions of windows. It will not be activated, just allow you to convert from enterprise to pro for workstations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

redeyes posted:

I put in that key above, rebooted, now I have Pro for Workstations. This is coming from Enterprise. So no, that seems incorrect.
:shrug: that's according to Microsoft's own upgrade table https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-edition-upgrades

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

You are right. It still works.. no idea.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

So I just checked eBay for Windows 10 workstation keys and they exist. I have win 10 pro.

Is it a good way to get rid of candy crush forever?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is 1803 getting released to the Media Creation Tool today?

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is 1803 getting released to the Media Creation Tool today?

It was supposed to but uh

https://www.onmsft.com/news/waiting-for-windows-10-1803-rs4-spring-creators-update-final-sounds-like-nope-not-today

Thanks Microsoft

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Looks like I took the week off work for nothing then.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
How do you make windows account for the physical size of a monitor on a dual screen setup? I have a 24" 1440p that sits above a 15" 4k screen (my laptop). the laptop screen is display 1, and the external monitor is display 2. I have display 2 set to primary, but windows seems to think that because the 15" screen is 4k, it must be a physically bigger monitor (and depicts it as such in control panel). This makes the entry/exit points of the cursor not line up when moving between screens- is it possible to fix that?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

greasyhands posted:

How do you make windows account for the physical size of a monitor on a dual screen setup? I have a 24" 1440p that sits above a 15" 4k screen (my laptop). the laptop screen is display 1, and the external monitor is display 2. I have display 2 set to primary, but windows seems to think that because the 15" screen is 4k, it must be a physically bigger monitor (and depicts it as such in control panel). This makes the entry/exit points of the cursor not line up when moving between screens- is it possible to fix that?

I don't think that's possible to fix.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I've seen people recommend a program called LittleBigMouse for situations like that, but I haven't tried it. I don't think there's any official solution from Microsoft.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Hungry Computer posted:

I've seen people recommend a program called LittleBigMouse for situations like that, but I haven't tried it. I don't think there's any official solution from Microsoft.

This worked, and its super simple. Thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Dumb question: is there any way to embed a live tile on the desktop? I know you can't do it natively within W10 but maybe a third party app has been released that can do it? I'd love to have the weather and news right on the desktop because I use Classic Shell for a start replacement and never see the live tile start menu anyway.

Sure, there are still weather widgets and the hacky Windows Sidebar mod for W10, but a lot of the APIs those old widgets used no longer connect to the internet so I was hoping for something a little more recent.