Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

I don't really have a strong opinion, but I SUSPECT that US global actions are minimally less terrible than previous empires and I think that your use of "patently" isn't warranted.

US actions are more or less average. Like I said we learned at the table of Europe. All things considered the US isn’t significantly better or significantly worse. The only unfair thing is now we have to listen to European MP’s lecture the US when the only reason they stopped being assholes want due to good will or conscience but only because they couldn’t keep on doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, how could the country that operates mobile execution vans be worse that US, what a crazy thought

Thank you for proving my point for me.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Americans just can't handle the knowledge that America isn't some paradigm-defying benign empire, and it's just as lovely and horrible as every other lovely horrible historical empire but in more deniable ways and with a huge internal propaganda campaign to drill "imperialism is good, when it's America" into the heads of kids before they can even think.

lol

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
can we go back to laughing at the pumpkin man?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol Dems are +10 on the Generic Ballot in Nevada. Dean Heller should just quit now because he’s an utterly dead man waking. Are there any good House pickup opportunities in Nevada?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

axeil posted:

I don't think anyone (or not me at least) is arguing that American imperialism is okay, but rather that American-style imperialism (soft power, economic liberalism, free trade, etc.) causes less overall harm and suffering than every other empire's flavor of empire has because those usually involved conquest, ruthless exploitation of resources and autocracy/denial of human rights.

Ultimately, the US should be called out for doing nasty things but that sword cuts both ways and any other state doing the same things should also be criticized and not defended. Why you (general you) see so many people getting riled up about this is the Glenn Greenwalds of the world are arguing "American imperialism is bad, and therefore we should be indifferent or support Chinese/Russian imperialism" which...no. They're all bad, just America's is less bad.

The Trail of Tears is our national badge of shame just like the Armenian Genocide should be for Turkey or French abuses in Vietnam, or the poo poo Japan pulled in Korea.

I have a lot of respect for Germany for being one of the few imperialistic states to look at what they did, acknowledge it and try and prevent it from happening again. True, that's because other imperial powers (US, France, UK, USSR) imposed that on them, but they've been pretty adamant that "Nazis are evil, here's all the bad poo poo they did, we're sorry" which is a hell of a lot more than most nations.

There is nothing "soft" about American power.

And I see that Glenn Greenwald derangement syndrome is still going on full force.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not even a communist at all lol.

Americans just can't handle the knowledge that America isn't some paradigm-defying benign empire, and it's just as lovely and horrible as every other lovely horrible historical empire but in more deniable ways and with a huge internal propaganda campaign to drill "imperialism is good, when it's America" into the heads of kids before they can even think.

I also remember the time when I discovered that my middle-school history texts glossed over a lot of bad stuff.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

joepinetree posted:

And I see that Glenn Greenwald derangement syndrome is still going on full force.

Compared to straight up invading/annexing places it sure is

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

A lot of it was exacerbated by Stalin's ridiculous paranoia, unrealistic quotas, suicidal push for industrialization, and...peculiar ideas about farming of the time.

Stalin took their inability to produce enough food as evidence they were hoarding food because at the end of the day he was kinda a dumbass.

Even darkly you could surmise Stalin would have preferred the Ukrainians lived so he could march them into german machine gun fire the next time the west invaded.

Stalin is intensely confusing to me because it's very unclear what ludicrious things he said and did he believed, and which he was using to consolidate power and eliminate opposition. Like with the show trials, the historical record veers between obvious awareness that the trials and the confessions elicited were utter nonsense, and actions that seem to indicate some level of belief in the confessions and conspiracies wrung out by the various iterations of the KGB. He definitely wasn't dumb. The most coherent explanation I can think of is that Stalin frequently acted as if his nonsense was true even where it wasn't necessary to pretend, because he needed it to be true and so it was a little bit of a cross between "I need this to be true, ergo it is true" and "I need this to be true, so I need to minimize the times I don't admit it was true even where I don't need to affirmatively lie." But at least some of it does seem to have been what he believed, like the fear of wreckers and the like.

I mostly read Stalin's nonsense about that they must be hording food as something he knew was nonsense, but was a handy excuse to ignore the deaths and continue exports and collectivization.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I think the thing that makes me maddest about tankies is that their ridiculous equivocation puts reasonable people in the delicate position of explaining why the U.S.'s behavior, which has often been quite bad, is substantially less bad than Stalin, the British Empire, and the goddamn Nazis.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 5, 2018

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The fact that we've come all this way and not mentioned the loving Indians or the Trail of Tears once is kind of staggering.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Marijuana posted:

Thank you for proving my point for me.

they are both bad friend, and given the same hegemony the US has, China would be as bad or worse

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

joepinetree posted:

It's an actual term to describe a manner of influence.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

axeil posted:

Compared to straight up invading/annexing places it sure is

The US has done both of those things. In fact, it invaded two countries nearly simultaneously not even 20 years ago.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

On the other hand I think he'd be really easy to bait into signing things by sticking in some flashy but meaningless provision that he can tweet about.

Or just appeal to his narcissism - stick another zero on the end of the National Park Service's budget but require all improvements made with the money to have a dedication plaque to the president who signs the bill.

You've gotta get him to sign it before people can get to him though, that's basically what Dems tried on DACA and got agreement right up until Miller was the last person to talk to him. He's so ignorant that you can't fool him for long because he doesn't remember things long enough.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

kidkissinger posted:

It was specifically the claim the US imperialism has been better than other imperialism which is patently false.

That's not what happened.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Stalin is intensely confusing to me because it's very unclear what ludicrious things he said and did he believed, and which he was using to consolidate power and eliminate opposition. Like with the show trials, the historical record veers between obvious awareness that the trials and the confessions elicited were utter nonsense, and actions that seem to indicate some level of belief in the confessions and conspiracies wrung out by the various iterations of the KGB. He definitely wasn't dumb. The most coherent explanation I can think of is that Stalin frequently acted as if his nonsense was true even where it wasn't necessary to pretend, because he needed it to be true and so it was a little bit of a cross between "I need this to be true, ergo it is true" and "I need this to be true, so I need to minimize the times I don't admit it was true even where I don't need to affirmatively lie." But at least some of it does seem to have been what he believed, like the fear of wreckers and the like.

I mostly read Stalin's nonsense about that they must be hording food as something he knew was nonsense, but was a handy excuse to ignore the deaths and continue exports and collectivization.

An interesting historical what if: Trotsky dies at right about the same time as Lenin thus not creating a power struggle between Trotsky and Stalin after his death.

I guess "Stalin dies in 1924" would also be interesting but far more speculative.

My dad got me a biography on Stalin that covers 1924-1945 and I'm really excited to read it this summer when I have more free time.

Boon posted:

The fact that we've come all this way and not mentioned the loving Indians or the Trail of Tears once is kind of staggering.

I mentioned the Trail of Tears a bunch of times :(

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Boon posted:

I mentioned it at the beginning, it was my first response to the claim "the US is miles ahead of other empires in not committing crimes against humanity"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Boon posted:

Uh it was mentioned. More than once.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Can't believe I missed the cool Satan page and it was clogged up with stupid bullshit from idiots smdh

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Boon posted:

it, uh, was mentioned

axeil posted:

I don't think anyone (or not me at least) is arguing that American imperialism is okay, but rather that American-style imperialism (soft power, economic liberalism, free trade, etc.) causes less overall harm and suffering than every other empire's flavor of empire has because those usually involved conquest, ruthless exploitation of resources and autocracy/denial of human rights.

Ultimately, the US should be called out for doing nasty things but that sword cuts both ways and any other state doing the same things should also be criticized and not defended. Why you (general you) see so many people getting riled up about this is the Glenn Greenwalds of the world are arguing "American imperialism is bad, and therefore we should be indifferent or support Chinese/Russian imperialism" which...no. They're all bad, just America's is less bad.

The Trail of Tears is our national badge of shame just like the Armenian Genocide should be for Turkey or French abuses in Vietnam, or the poo poo Japan pulled in Korea.

I have a lot of respect for Germany for being one of the few imperialistic states to look at what they did, acknowledge it and try and prevent it from happening again. True, that's because other imperial powers (US, France, UK, USSR) imposed that on them, but they've been pretty adamant that "Nazis are evil, here's all the bad poo poo they did, we're sorry" which is a hell of a lot more than most nations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Marijuana posted:

The US has done both of those things. In fact, it invaded two countries nearly simultaneously not even 20 years ago.

Interventions have been happening since the ancient world and neither country was annexed. Iraqis are not now Americans.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Boon posted:

The Indians were mostly handled by the British and Spanish beforehand, it's why the slave trade boomed. The Trail of Tears of course is entirely on the US (And of course Jackson. gently caress Jackson)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boon posted:

the genocide of the native americans is basically an unspeakable crime and one that doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves. the reason it's not being brought up much though in this discussion is that nobody defends it but it's also not really part of the modern american empire (which is mostly a post-WWI thing, long after the native genocide was complete), which is the subject of the current discussion.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

I mentioned it at the beginning, it was my first response to the claim "the US is miles ahead of other empires in not committing crimes against humanity"

Well, I now understand how Glenn Greenwalds happen

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evilweasel posted:

the dispute is mostly about if it was deliberately caused vs. collectivization causing a decline in food production and the USSR refusing to cease exports

that the USSR was exporting massive amounts food out of Ukraine and selling it abroad for hard currency while the famine was known to the politburo is not. the only real dispute is if the millions of deaths were specifically desired or if they just didn't care.

Also probably worth pointing out that there were probably a whole bunch of capitalists buying that food.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Arguing about how it could be worse is dumb and pointless because it could always be true and it's still currently poo poo so why not worry more about making it not poo poo instead of trying to argue that "Well it could be worse!!!! So please stop saying we're bad!" Even in the best of faith it's pointlessly trying to shift blame and attention to....save pride I guess?

I mean this is an argument we probably should have because a lot of the #Resistance people and liberals in this thread have done a lot of cheer leading for truly awful people simply because Trump was little rude to them (See: Jame Comey). There's a large undercurrent in the modern politics at the moment for the Democrat supporters to white wash really bad poo poo and are VERY eager to jump on the whole "Being the party of Supporting America's hosed up security state" because Trump has been 'disrespectful' to a few head of departments (who, by the fact that they were the head of these groups have overseen and approves some heinous poo poo).

Okay sure, I'll assume your historical fiction is correct that a world in which Russia somehow was the world expanding empire that the USA is and we weren't what we are would be worse. Now how does that change or excuse anything?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 5, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

I also remember the time when I discovered that my middle-school history texts glossed over a lot of bad stuff.

It's not that, it's the fact that people inevitably use this glossed-over version of history to support ongoing US imperialism because it's neutral or good for the world, viz

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they are both bad friend, and given the same hegemony the US has, China would be as bad or worse

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

theflyingorc posted:

I don't really have a strong opinion, but I SUSPECT that US global actions are minimally less terrible than previous empires and I think that your use of "patently" isn't warranted.

I'm actually super curious to see whether Chinese economic imperialism winds up being a less inhumane model than its predecessors (us and Britain, mostly). It's not like they haven't learned some lessons.

please ignore xinjiang and Tibet, those are just perfectly normal territorial expansion instead

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hail Santa.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
How about the time the continent of Europe was so awful, cruel, and stupid that they started a massive war that pulled in the whole world and killed millions of people needlessly. Then a couple of years they repeated it again.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zore posted:

it, uh, was mentioned

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Uh it was mentioned. More than once.

VitalSigns posted:

axeil posted:

I mentioned the Trail of Tears a bunch of times :(

:lol:

Well goddamnit, I apologize.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

It's not that, it's the fact that people inevitably use this glossed-over version of history to support ongoing US imperialism because it's neutral or good for the world, viz

you have shown a staggering ignorance of history so please go lecture about something else

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OddObserver posted:

Also probably worth pointing out that there were probably a whole bunch of capitalists buying that food.

yeah but the communists (local and in the ussr) were busy telling the world that all those stories of a famine in the ukraine were a complete lie, so it's a little hard to shift the blame to the capitalists on that one

it's not clear to me how well known the famine was outside the ussr until after it was over

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm actually super curious to see whether Chinese economic imperialism winds up being a less inhumane model than its predecessors (us and Britain, mostly). It's not like they haven't learned some lessons.

please ignore xinjiang and Tibet, those are just perfectly normal territorial expansion instead

Doesn't a fair amount of the Chinese 'Foreign Investment' into Sub-Sahara Africa basically amount to resource extraction?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

the genocide of the native americans is basically an unspeakable crime and one that doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves. the reason it's not being brought up much though in this discussion is that nobody defends it but it's also not really part of the modern american empire (which is mostly a post-WWI thing, long after the native genocide was complete), which is the subject of the current discussion.

It's funny how unlike every other empire, the US gets a "mulligan" on genocide because it happened so long ago get over gosh.

Anyway have I mentioned the Persian Empire invaded the Levant so that totally justifies the US doing it because someone else was Just As Bad thousands of years ago?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dissidents will be shot!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not even a communist at all lol.

To be fair. As a European. In my opinion.

No people in the world criticise their own government as vehemently as Americans do.

American citizens and organizations pretty much spearhead every single effort to call out the US government on any and all evil poo poo it does.

Sure they just have some very loud people on the opposite side of the spectrum but Americas greatest critic remains itself.

evilweasel posted:

yeah but the communists (local and in the ussr) were busy telling the world that all those stories of a famine in the ukraine were a complete lie, so it's a little hard to shift the blame to the capitalists on that one

it's not clear to me how well known the famine was outside the ussr until after it was over

And what's worse. The whole west bought it. The west ate all of it.

Even the show trials where people were on trial for their lives. Confessing to ridiculous plots to assassinate Stalin with half the Kremlin staff in on the plot. The only evidence against them was their own confessions yet these confessions were a result of the overwhelming evidence against them in the first place. And the western observers ate all of it.

Katt fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 5, 2018

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

It is important that we hang the US for everything it has done in it's entire history, whereas, conveniently, Russia and China only started doing bad things recently, and didn't exist at all before WW1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Interventions have been happening since the ancient world and neither country was annexed. Iraqis are not now Americans.

Sorry, I guess I should have said, "invaded with plans to permanently occupy those countries with mercenary armies."

• Locked thread