Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Have any of you tried Moxie? It's soda that's mostly sold in the northeastern US. I wound up with a can of it tonight, and it lives up to its reputation for having an unusual flavor that's hard to pin down. There's gentian in it, which gives it a bitter finish that's uncommon for soda. As I sip it, my perception of it keeps flipping between "root beer with bitters" and "burnt bubblegum."

Anyway, the gentian in it makes me want to try to approximate the flavor profile in a cocktail. I'm not sure about the base spirit (some kind of rum, maybe?), but I feel like it should probably include Root, Aperol or some other relatively mild amaro, and maybe a little blackstrap rum to approximate that burnt sugar element.

Any ideas? I know it's kind of weird and niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I picked this up in PA once at some place that had a bunch of kitschy sodas.

I made a highball with it with some plantation rum and I remember really liking it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I had Moxie once and it's the taste I imagine when people talk about Malort.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

When I finally tried Moxie was confused by all the weird fuss about it. It just tasted like Ango, and was pretty good, for a soda.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Toast Museum posted:

Have any of you tried Moxie? It's soda that's mostly sold in the northeastern US. I wound up with a can of it tonight, and it lives up to its reputation for having an unusual flavor that's hard to pin down. There's gentian in it, which gives it a bitter finish that's uncommon for soda. As I sip it, my perception of it keeps flipping between "root beer with bitters" and "burnt bubblegum."

Anyway, the gentian in it makes me want to try to approximate the flavor profile in a cocktail. I'm not sure about the base spirit (some kind of rum, maybe?), but I feel like it should probably include Root, Aperol or some other relatively mild amaro, and maybe a little blackstrap rum to approximate that burnt sugar element.

Any ideas? I know it's kind of weird and niche.

Boston thread is literally talking about this right now.

Moxie + Gin, Moxie + Bourbon is a New Englander, etc.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I used to drink Moxie with my grandfather when I was a little kid, whenever we would visit Maine to see him he would send me back with a big stash because you can't buy the stuff in DC where I lived. It's a really nostalgic taste for me since he passed a decade ago, I would love a cocktail that tasted like that and got me drunk.

EDIT: To contribute a question, do you guys have any brands or lines of glassware for home bar that you really like? I really love my (goon recommended) Schott Zweisel wine glasses, but I'm thinking their stuff is a little to expensive for me to equip a home bar with.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 15, 2018

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I have a second-hand shop near me that specializes in restaurant/bar equipment. So I usually buy my glasses used for $0.50-$2. In my case it's not a matter of if I'll break them, but when.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

TheQuietWilds posted:

I used to drink Moxie with my grandfather when I was a little kid, whenever we would visit Maine to see him he would send me back with a big stash because you can't buy the stuff in DC where I lived. It's a really nostalgic taste for me since he passed a decade ago, I would love a cocktail that tasted like that and got me drunk.

EDIT: To contribute a question, do you guys have any brands or lines of glassware for home bar that you really like? I really love my (goon recommended) Schott Zweisel wine glasses, but I'm thinking their stuff is a little to expensive for me to equip a home bar with.

I don't know about alcoholic drinks that taste like Moxie, but I did find that adding a bunch of Angostura bitters (I'd say 5-6 dashes) to a can of Coke makes for a good approximation of the soda.

What I'd like to find are drink recipes using birch beer as a mixer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't hesitate to drink soda water with nothing but bitters or vermouth in it, so maybe I should give Moxie another shot? I just remember it being maybe the third worst thing I've ever tasted.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Hey gang! Finally got captcha to work, I am (finally) no longer locked out of my account! :woop:

Some updates:
Went to NYC for the first time recently and checked out a multitude of cocktail places in Manhattan, good god do they love their coconut water out there right now. Trip was an absolute blast, everyone was super friendly. A fun anecdote: I did not realize Attaboy was a speakeasy; thought my cab driver might have dropped me off to get mugged in some rough rear end part of chinatown until I found the logo on the door.

I got into Diageo World Class! Midwestern Regionals so I'm off to Vegas (another first time) next month. Definitely feeling nervous about competing for my second time ever in a venue this large; if any of you have past experiences or advice regarding competitions please share them.

Answer tax

TheQuietWilds posted:

do you guys have any brands or lines of glassware for home bar that you really like? I really love my (goon recommended) Schott Zweisel wine glasses, but I'm thinking their stuff is a little to expensive for me to equip a home bar with.
Highly recommend checking out Riedel if you have not already, they're not cheap but you get what you pay for.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

I don't know about alcoholic drinks that taste like Moxie, but I did find that adding a bunch of Angostura bitters (I'd say 5-6 dashes) to a can of Coke makes for a good approximation of the soda.

Oh nice, thanks! I'll give that a try, maybe with some decent cane sugar cola.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't hesitate to drink soda water with nothing but bitters or vermouth in it, so maybe I should give Moxie another shot? I just remember it being maybe the third worst thing I've ever tasted.

My dad described it once as tasting like something that would drip out of the bottom of your car

Lokee posted:

Highly recommend checking out Riedel if you have not already, they're not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Whooof, $100 for four glasses is a bit out of my price range. Thanks for the recommendation though, maybe someday down the line I'll be in that bracket.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

TheQuietWilds posted:

Whooof, $100 for four glasses is a bit out of my price range. Thanks for the recommendation though, maybe someday down the line I'll be in that bracket.
Can't go wrong with Cocktail Kingdom either, might be a bit closer to what you're looking to spend.
e- ehhh that actually might be about the same

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

TheQuietWilds posted:

Are you friendly with anyone who owns or manages a bar or restaurant who might sell you some? they're still expensive wholesale (like $14 pp or so) but that still beats paying $25 for a glass. I've gotten all mine through places I've worked at

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

Not exactly what you were asking for but last night I went out and had a seasonal variation of an old fashioned which was really good and had a 'house birch beer simple' in it.

Menu posted:

Old Fashioned (Seasonal)
Kinsey Rye, house birch beer simple, orange and angostura bitters

I really liked it

goferchan posted:

Are you friendly with anyone who owns or manages a bar or restaurant who might sell you some? they're still expensive wholesale (like $14 pp or so) but that still beats paying $25 for a glass. I've gotten all mine through places I've worked at

Unfortunately no. I'm a medical student and know nobody that isn't trapped in the hospital perpetually.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

What kind of coconut water do you all prefer? Anybody championing making it yourself?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Slowest Sprinter tastes exactly what it sounds like. I’m digging it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
My wife and I will be in Houston from the 26th to the 30th.

Does anyone have any cocktail bar recommendations? We usually like things on the quieter side where we can have some face time with the bartender to talk about what we like and go from there.

That usually means going in earlier but we're fine with that. Good food is a bonus but not a dealbreaker.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you really can go in right at opening, you can't beat Anvil. It gets hella busy though, so no chit chat if you can't make it early.

Pondicheri is amazing Indian restaurant and the bartenders are great and friendly.

e: vvv looks like I'll need to visit my family again soon!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 29, 2018

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Klauser posted:

My wife and I will be in Houston from the 26th to the 30th.

Does anyone have any cocktail bar recommendations? We usually like things on the quieter side where we can have some face time with the bartender to talk about what we like and go from there.

That usually means going in earlier but we're fine with that. Good food is a bonus but not a dealbreaker.

Tongue-Cut Sparrow. Same owners as Anvil, with an emphasis on classic cocktails and a max occupancy of 25. It's dark, nothing but jazz on the stereo, and the bartenders are top notch and always willing to talk about drinks.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

chitoryu12 posted:

The Slowest Sprinter tastes exactly what it sounds like. I’m digging it.

Holy Christ, are those American dollars? That's absurdly expensive for how cheap the ingredients are.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

poop dood posted:

Holy Christ, are those American dollars? That's absurdly expensive for how cheap the ingredients are.

Looks like the normal prices here in LA.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

poop dood posted:

Franklin Mortgage & Investment in Philadelphia. You’re also paying for the labor.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Franklin Mortgage & Investment in Philadelphia. You’re also paying for the labor.

I had a mini post typed up about pour costs etc., but without knowing what they pay for their liquors and how much of each ingredient goes into each cocktail, it’s pure speculation. Suffice to say my target is 18% and I charge $12 for most menu cocktails, so I can’t make a drink that costs me more than $2.05 (unless it rarely gets ordered).

Instead, I want to ask if you’ve gone to the Hop Sing Laundromat speakeasy in Chinatown (Philly). Cool spot, pricy of course, and my dad didn’t know wtf was going on because the doorman was messing with us. Great experience.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, thanks man, I've been to a bar before. My point is that I'm familiar with how bars work, being a bartender myself, and their profit margin on that is so insane I couldn't do that with a clean conscience if I was the bar manager. It's nigh-unethical.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Maestro posted:

I had a mini post typed up about pour costs etc., but without knowing what they pay for their liquors and how much of each ingredient goes into each cocktail, it’s pure speculation. Suffice to say my target is 18% and I charge $12 for most menu cocktails, so I can’t make a drink that costs me more than $2.05 (unless it rarely gets ordered).

Instead, I want to ask if you’ve gone to the Hop Sing Laundromat speakeasy in Chinatown (Philly). Cool spot, pricy of course, and my dad didn’t know wtf was going on because the doorman was messing with us. Great experience.

Last night and today were actually only the second time I’ve been in Philly and the first visit that didn’t involve the Liberty Bell.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

poop dood posted:

Yeah, thanks man, I've been to a bar before. My point is that I'm familiar with how bars work, being a bartender myself, and their profit margin on that is so insane I couldn't do that with a clean conscience if I was the bar manager. It's nigh-unethical.

I mean you never know what kind of rent they're paying at the place either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i've worked at some places with really, really desirable/expensive locations relative to the city I'm in and with that often comes jacked-up prices that are about twice what I'd be willing to pay at the bars I actually drink at. And honestly, if some rich son a bitch is willing to pay for it, it's not overpriced

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Our most popular cocktail every week forever is basically a jalapeño cilantro margarita. Do I feel bad that kept finding cheaper and cheaper tequila (while still maintaining my high standards) until my pour cost hit about 10.5%? No I do not. It still tastes great and I can afford to make better Negronis etc for people because of it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The Maestro posted:

Our most popular cocktail every week forever is basically a jalapeño cilantro margarita. Do I feel bad that kept finding cheaper and cheaper tequila (while still maintaining my high standards) until my pour cost hit about 10.5%? No I do not. It still tastes great and I can afford to make better Negronis etc for people because of it.

Dont hold back, what's the infusion recipe?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
No infusion, all fresh

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The Maestro posted:

No infusion, all fresh

All right give us the recipe then. I loving love spicy margaritas.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Lol it’s really as simple as it sounds. Just turns out eeeeverybody loves spicy margaritas.

Muddle 3 jalapeño wheels, add a pinch of cilantro
1oz lime
1oz agave nectar
2oz tequila
Salt and pepper rim
Shake and dump

It’s incredibly shocking when it’s not the top seller for any given week. We sell maybe 40+ a week.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The most basic cocktails will always be the best sellers. Most people at the end of the day just want basic poo poo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

People are basic bitches.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243400834/worlds-first-portable-cocktail-machine

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

There is a bar in Vegas called "The Tipsey Robot" which is like a version of this that cost a few hundred thousand and all it is good for is lovely sweet drinks.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You will not replace us

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I ordered some Bittermens Orange Cream Citrate that came in today and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for using it.

The maiden voyage was seeing what it would do to a gin and tonic and I'm kinda on board.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is like that episode of Bar Rescue where they replaced a lovely pirate-themed bar with a differently lovely corporate-themed bar with an automatic cocktail machine and special round ice.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Mint julep season is coming up for me. What's the best method for mint syrup, Morganthaler with the blanching, blending, fine straining, or steep in hot syrup and cover? Can anybody vouch? I'm gonna try to use multiple kinds of mint this time.

i don't care if the syrup turns dark I'm gonna use deep brown raw sugar and ultimately mix it with bourbon, color not important, just flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I'd love to know, too. I've never been able to make a mint syrup I was 100% happy with.