Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1996. Bold statement but despite it being one of the most famous CART moments ever I think that pass should have been illegal.

Oh for sure, that poo poo was completely off track. It will remain one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed during a race of any kind, and was a formative moment for teenage me in developing a lifelong devotion to motorsport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1996. Bold statement but despite it being one of the most famous CART moments ever I think that pass should have been illegal.

Zanardi owning Herta repeatedly over the period of 1996-1998 is funny, to me. But I agree, it was a poo poo move.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sorry, but the pass is not impressive. He just drove off the track. Verstappen does it every single race.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Zanardi probably should have been the '96 Champion but he wasn't great on ovals and Vasser drove smarter that year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah I mean it's one of those things about the wording of cutting the track where apparently it's OK to completely blow a corner as long as you've passed the guy before leaving the track lol.

I always wonder if anyone tried gaining laptime in a pit outlap or something by cutting a chicane but not overtaking anyone by doing it

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He passed Herta before the corner, he went off track because there wasnt any space left. It doesnt matter he passed Herta next year clean.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

DoctorGonzo posted:

He passed Herta before the corner, he went off track because there wasnt any space left. It doesnt matter he passed Herta next year clean.

The year after in Vancouver he ran Herta off the track.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im talking about Laguna Seca

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

The year after in Vancouver he ran Herta off the track.

Yeah and he was a lap down when he did that lol. It was badass

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I always wonder if anyone tried gaining laptime in a pit outlap or something by cutting a chicane but not overtaking anyone by doing it

Isn't the wording specifically "leaving the track to gain an advantage" to cover that?

It is probably a grey area where you could get away with it once and then it they'd clamp down on it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Zanardi's F1 career (both stints) is odd. He looked below average in the first part and out to lunch in the second. Gugelmin, Lehto, and Blundell all drove in F1 around the same time and looked much better (although in Blundell's case he had pretty good cars) but in CART it was reversed.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Isn't the wording specifically "leaving the track to gain an advantage" to cover that?

It is probably a grey area where you could get away with it once and then it they'd clamp down on it.

according to wikipedia they determined post-race that Zanardi's pass was allowed but it wouldnt be allowed the following year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah but whatever wording CART used was dumb enough that "passing" someone by completely blowing a corner and going off the track after the pass was apparently ok

That kind of stuff even shows up in F1 sometimes, like when people went wide coming out of La Source to get a straighter exit down to Eau Rouge.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Zanardi got schooled by Van Der Zande last year, who pulled the pass but clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GT0qZACJ8k

2h47m in

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
from https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-calls-urgent-meeting-to-discuss-overtaking-1022018/

"Meanwhile, a separate meeting of the technical directors today rubber-stamped various proposals for 2019 that had been under discussion for some weeks.

They include an 80kg minimum driver weight, simplified bodywork in the bargeboard area that makes it easier to see sponsor logos on the chassis, and lower exhausts which cannot point upwards, designed to stop them having an aerodynamic effect...."

Would be fun if Verstappen etc had to wear a diving weight belt to get to 80K.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Phwoar lads, get a load of Are Pasties new lid

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhMvJVJDs-E/?taken-by=pastormaldo

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

In qualifying at Magny Cours in 1991, it's said that Senna figured he figured he could end his lap quicker if threw himself through the final corner to cross the timing line and not worry about spinning the other side. He took pole...

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Only this thread could go on for half a page about rules technicalities surrounding the pass while ignoring the more impressive feat of Zanardi being competitive at all while carrying around that boat anchor he calls a scrotum.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

In qualifying at Magny Cours in 1991, it's said that Senna figured he figured he could end his lap quicker if threw himself through the final corner to cross the timing line and not worry about spinning the other side. He took pole...

The final corner of Magny Cours is extremely good for being a proven fraud binmen sifter. Too bad about everything else having to do with that circuit. France is cursed with having to choose between two equally boring tracks (3 if you count Le Mans Bugatti), just because magnesium burns Frenchmen hotter than the surface of the sun, and apparently chunks of volcanic pumice to the face at racing speed are bad for your health and your personality.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

McGuinty posted:

Only this thread could go on for half a page about rules technicalities surrounding the pass while ignoring the more impressive feat of Zanardi being competitive at all while carrying around that boat anchor he calls a scrotum.

He balanced it out by removing his legs. Billy Monger tried the same, but it's backfired as he'll never make 80kg now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's no way to get ahead in life.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Apropos of nothing did anyone ever explain what the poo poo was up with the weird-rear end livery Newman-Haas used for one season only in 1990

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

was it like that or did it get scratched up during multiple crashes?

Also,
toro rosso this weekend, probably:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Who cares about TR-Honda. Let them run around at the back.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

McGuinty posted:

The final corner of Magny Cours is extremely good for being a proven fraud binmen sifter. Too bad about everything else having to do with that circuit. France is cursed with having to choose between two equally boring tracks (3 if you count Le Mans Bugatti), just because magnesium burns Frenchmen hotter than the surface of the sun, and apparently chunks of volcanic pumice to the face at racing speed are bad for your health and your personality.

Paul Ricard is good, I just wish they left out that chicane. Dijon-Prenois is also good.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Magny-Cours sucks a bag of dicks.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Apropos of nothing did anyone ever explain what the poo poo was up with the weird-rear end livery Newman-Haas used for one season only in 1990

The pink might be for Energizer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I always liked how plain Newman-Haas's liveries were, the white-black sidepods for the first K-Mart/Havoline cars, and then the plain black ones, so the 1990 one is a bizarre outlier that I've always thought was weird

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
1990 also had the original Target Chip Ganassi car which was weird as hell. Also weird that it's an '89 Penske that Chip got when he bought Patrick Racing.

I love that at some point there were three teams on the grid which had descended from Patrick Racing, and two of them still exist!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

The pink might be for Energizer.

I think it's just 90s design. The NH pit uniforms for a few years were designed by a fashion designer who also designed the Charlotte Hornets NBA uniforms so they looked intensely 90s.

seriously those crew members look like they could be extras in a Tribe Called Quest video or some poo poo

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1990 also had the original Target Chip Ganassi car which was weird as hell. Also weird that it's an '89 Penske that Chip got when he bought Patrick Racing.

I love that at some point there were three teams on the grid which had descended from Patrick Racing, and two of them still exist!

Cheever, what might have been. Another pretty good F1 guy (and the last successful US F1 driver) that did not do all that well in CART.

The CART wheelcovers were cool.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think it's just 90s design. The NH pit uniforms for a few years were designed by a fashion designer who also designed the Charlotte Hornets NBA uniforms so they looked intensely 90s.

seriously those crew members look like they could be extras in a Tribe Called Quest video or some poo poo

The harlequin golf is back, in shirt form!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gigi Galli posted:

The harlequin golf is back, in shirt form!

all part of the same 90s design movement that eventually produced this

which owns

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I always liked how plain Newman-Haas's liveries were, the white-black sidepods for the first K-Mart/Havoline cars, and then the plain black ones, so the 1990 one is a bizarre outlier that I've always thought was weird

Some of the later NH cars were different colours. Fittipaldi's car was Red in '97, Then light/dark blue in 2001, Then Green/Yellow/Blue/White in 2002.

Also, unrelated;

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
K. Mag owns. There's also a really great motorsport prime article on the upcoming 2021 changes and how Brawn and Co. hopefully learned from the 2009 rules gently caress-up.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brawn-warning-to-himself-on-f1-new-rules-1021443/

Everyone should have access to that courtesy of F. Alonso's free 90 days of Prime access.

Also, Sainz saying that at "poisoned" banana caused his food sickness during the grand prix, lol. Sirotkin???

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

This was a cool livery but it wasn't used for very long.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Poois Shamilton.

:discourse:

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Wirth1000 posted:

K. Mag owns. There's also a really great motorsport prime article on the upcoming 2021 changes and how Brawn and Co. hopefully learned from the 2009 rules gently caress-up.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brawn-warning-to-himself-on-f1-new-rules-1021443/

Everyone should have access to that courtesy of F. Alonso's free 90 days of Prime access.

Also, Sainz saying that at "poisoned" banana caused his food sickness during the grand prix, lol. Sirotkin???

So Brawn says that 2009 was 50%, and it should have been 75%. What does 75% reduction look like? A 2m wide front wing?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Forget this nonsense, ban blue flags and add two more shitheel back of the grid teams and they'll make the cars able to follow and overtake really fuckin fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not a terrible suggestion actually