Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Foam is significantly cheaper and easier to repair after a crash. EPP in particular does not crush, and can be glued together incredibly easily.

Also if you laminate EPP, it becomes pretty indestructible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgGtMrgPgR8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, balsa planes just explode in a crash into tiny toothpick-like shreds. Foam planes essentially bounce, maybe crack in a few big chunks that you can stick back together with spray glue in 30 seconds.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Dregs posted:

I assumed the balsa were more sturdy than the foam kits. Did I have it backwards? Plus they're really fun to build, at least the rubber band ones.
Absolutely not. I've 100% throttle'd EPP wings into trees and flown them 4 minutes later. A balsa model just vaporises into toothpicks

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yf_QTbDeWM&t=107s

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 29, 2018

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Balsa sounds way more fun tbh.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lmao no, epp is the poo poo.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I believe that the foam is probably the better idea, but we really enjoy the meddling easiest of making balsa planes. Is there anything more sturdy that offers that kind of fun?

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 30, 2018

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Double phone postin'

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Dregs posted:

I believe that the foam is probably the better idea, but we really enjoy the meddling easiest of making balsa planes. Is there anything more sturdy that offers that kind of fun?

Watch Peter Sripol on youtube and start thinking about the things you can make out of dollar store foam core instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7X5Zp1lgBM

Once you get a simple fixed wing down, you can start seeing how far you can push the design

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 30, 2018

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Balsa models are perfectly viable and can be very beautiful too. However, as mentioned above, when you crash them, you end up with toothpicks.
I've flown my EPP planes into solid metal objects at 100km/h, picked them and tossed them back into the air.
It really depends on what type of flying you wan to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSPeWZENlUg

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Like literally buy a cth albatross

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Lmao no, epp is the poo poo.
EPP with bigass carbon spars, specifically

The Dregs posted:

Water resistant foam board is the tits for tinkering. And you can use square carbon stock as spars to make it perform. And you can laminate it (or at least tape the leading edges) to make it pretty crash-resistant.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 30, 2018

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I found a series of videos on youtube for building a little foam board plane called the RC-help trainer. They are exhaustive, he even tells you how to save and print the file and what a glue gun is. I think this will be a decent intro for my son and me, since we know almost nothing about planes or RC in general. After that we can try something a little more daring.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you want something a bit more turn-key you can get a flite test foam trainer kit and a power pack. Then you just need a radio and receiver.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

evil_bunnY posted:

If you want something a bit more turn-key you can get a flite test foam trainer kit and a power pack. Then you just need a radio and receiver.

Seconding this, the tiny trainer might be a good place to start. If you want to go from a peice of foam board to a plane, they also provide free Plans for most (all?) of their foamboard designs.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I'd love to get a Flite Test, if every goddamned thing in their store weren't out of stock. The have the base kits, but all the accessories are out.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I’m sure someone here could put an electronics kit together for you. What stores are convenient for you to order from? Do you have a radio yet?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
There is a Hobbytown right by here, and they stock Flite Test stuff on their website, although I have no idea if they have it in-store. I am going to go by there today. Thanks!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Well, that turned out to be a huge waste of time. The guy who ran the RC department was at the local hobby store was a huge pedantic douche. The place stocked Flite Test stuff, but I'll be damned if I give them money.

So if you guys have the time to help me pick out a complete set of stuff I need to get footing, if appreciate it. From the site, my son and I really liked the 3 planes in one set (nutball, flyer and Delta), and we also looked a lot of the mini diy stuff.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Are you starting completely from scratch?
I'll see if I can't get a shopping list done tonight.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Yeah. I got a message from Flite Test, they said that the DXE-6 kits will be in stock today, but not the DXE kits. I think the 6 kits are like 100 more. I think i can get everything from their site and pick up that transmitter elsewhere, right? Either way, thanks!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I put together a B power pack in this thread a few months ago, let me find it.

edit: if you are looking for just a transmitter and receiver, then I'd get the FlySky i6 FS-i6 on the cheapest end, or a frsky qx7 on the higher end (along with a d4r-ii or x4r receiver)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 2, 2018

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

How diy-savvy are you? Can you solder?
A Taranis QX7 radio is far more versatile but can be more tricky to get set up...but you wont outgrow it.
Basically, how much trial and error can you put up with before you get frustrated?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Seriously consider a qx7 and the crashtesthobby albatross (3 channel) if this is for your kid. It's durable as poo poo and you can fly it with one hand in a lawn chair with a beer in your hand

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

moron izzard posted:

I put together a B power pack in this thread a few months ago, let me find it.

edit: if you are looking for just a transmitter and receiver, then I'd get the FlySky i6 FS-i6 on the cheapest end, or a frsky qx7 on the higher end (along with a d4r-ii or x4r receiver)

This is great. So, this will work for whatever calls for a B pack from flite test? Which store would you recommend? As for DIY savvy, I am pretty handy, but I know very little about electronics in general. Closest I have ever done is mod Nerf guns. I will check out the albatross and the other transmitter.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Google Butt posted:

Seriously consider a qx7 and the crashtesthobby albatross (3 channel) if this is for your kid. It's durable as poo poo and you can fly it with one hand in a lawn chair with a beer in your hand

Crashtesthobby stuff is pretty great if you're interested in durable EPP planes. The one thing I will mention is that they give you a piece of string to wrap around their flying wings for reinforcement and suggest coating it in corn starch (flower? I don't remember exactly) to act as an accelerator for the superglue. They warn there will be fumes and you should do it somewhere well ventilated, DO NOT IGNORE THIS ADVICE. I've never seen CA glue set that fast or give me a headache so quickly. We had to open the garage and let it sit for 15 minutes.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Dregs posted:

This is great. So, this will work for whatever calls for a B pack from flite test? Which store would you recommend? As for DIY savvy, I am pretty handy, but I know very little about electronics in general. Closest I have ever done is mod Nerf guns. I will check out the albatross and the other transmitter.

This is all on banggood. I'll have to see if any of this is out of stock though. The ESC was last time (but is easily swappable)

edit: there are some 20a esc with BEC which are slightly cheaper. You'll need to solder an xt60 plug onto them however.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 2, 2018

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I checked out the albatross, and it is cool. But for some reason the shipping is 60-100 dollars?! Is that right?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

The price in the drop down menu includes shipping, $91.95

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Ah OK. Jeez.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I see what you guys mean about balsa. Been working on this Guillows kit and holding back tears of frustration (and pain from the lovely sewing pins I used) the whole time. And I know drat well it'll be nothing but toothpicks after it's maiden flight.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The Dregs posted:

I see what you guys mean about balsa. Been working on this Guillows kit and holding back tears of frustration (and pain from the lovely sewing pins I used) the whole time. And I know drat well it'll be nothing but toothpicks after it's maiden flight.

https://store.flitetest.com/ft-spitfire-speed-build-kit/

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I'm getting one of those! But, I bought this Guillows kit before I ever came to this thread. I am off for a week, and I might as well do this while I wait for shipping.

Right now I am trying to decide between a pair of mini Sparrows, or the triple kit with the Nutball and the other two.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The Dregs posted:

Get some t-pin instead. Much easier on the fingers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Dregs posted:

I'm getting one of those! But, I bought this Guillows kit before I ever came to this thread. I am off for a week, and I might as well do this while I wait for shipping.

Right now I am trying to decide between a pair of mini Sparrows, or the triple kit with the Nutball and the other two.
The best advice I can give you is getting different CA consistencies, and a needle tip bottle, but balsa will suck forever.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I figured the glue out on my own. I couldn't find T-pins anywhere, I did find a thimble, though. It also took me forever to realize you can pin through the wood, instead of just holding it in place.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 4, 2018

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The Dregs posted:

The FT Sparrow flies strangely, I wouldn't recommend it for beginners.

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
Does anyone know if the dronin auto tune stuff works on a tricopter? I'm throwing some old spare motors and electronics into a tri frame I 3d printed and might give dronin a go if so. I need to check if it requires the servo be digital though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A bunch have been using it on tricopters successfully. Apparently the stock firmware and some out-of-tree branch with tricopter specific changes (haven't really kept up with that one).

https://forum.dronin.org/forum/d/365-trironin-tricopters-running-dronin/118

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone had the chance to play with a Tello yet? It seems like a pretty nifty little drone for $99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've been tempted to grab one just to see but haven't brought myself to do it.