Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Pretty much every multiplayer game ever has unbalanced bullshit at any given time, it just depends on the current patch. Even Brood War took years to properly balance. Stop being such silly reactionary nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

How many of you guys saying the game is fine play hero league as your main game mode? More than 50 games in a season.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Top 10 heroes by win rate

pre:
 #: Name        Win Rate               Pick+Ban Rate
 1: Fenix       63.4%      |++++++++++ PBBBBBBB   (93.9%)
 2: Tracer      55.9%      |++++++     P          (24.0%)
 3: Probius     55.0%      |+++++                 (1.5%)
 4: Thrall      54.2%      |++++       PP         (30.2%)
 5: Xul         53.7%      |++++                  (5.3%)
 6: Sgt. Hammer 53.3%      |+++                   (4.5%)
 7: Nazeebo     52.6%      |+++        PP         (30.5%)
 8: Li Li       52.6%      |+++        PP         (35.4%)
 9: Ragnaros    52.6%      |+++                   (11.3%)
10: Samuro      52.4%      |++                    (4.1%)
Top 10 bans
pre:
 #: Name       Ban Rate             Win Rate
 1: Fenix      ########## (78%)      |++++++++++ (63.4%)
 2: Maiev      ####       (34%)      |           (49.5%)
 3: Stukov     ##         (23%)      |+          (50.8%)
 4: Chromie    ##         (18%)    --|           (48.3%)
 5: Malfurion  ##         (17%)      |+          (50.5%)
 6: Diablo     ##         (17%)      |++         (52.0%)
 7: Genji      ##         (16%) -----|           (45.3%)
 8: Kael'thas  #          (15%)      |           (49.6%)
 9: Varian     #          (13%)    --|           (47.6%)
10: Hanzo      #          (11%)   ---|           (46.6%)
Why are people banning genji and hanzo so much? There are like 9 heroes barely banned with much better winrates.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Genji and Hanzo are extremely annoying to play against, along with Tracer and Chromie. Badly designed, not easy to counterplay.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

beejay posted:

Genji and Hanzo are extremely annoying to play against, along with Tracer and Chromie. Badly designed, not easy to counterplay.

The numbers indicate otherwise. Except for tracer, who should be a higher priority ban.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

As a guy who plays Muradin all the time the idea of a Tracer is loving surreal and makes me laugh on my rear end.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

beejay posted:

How many of you guys saying the game is fine play hero league as your main game mode? More than 50 games in a season.

I think the game is fine and I play hero league almost exclusively. I mean Fenix needs a nerf, but the game as a whole is fun and good.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Dietrich posted:

The numbers indicate otherwise. Except for tracer, who should be a higher priority ban.

Ok, well you asked why they are banned so much. That's why I ban them and almost every stream I watch is the same. It's not enjoyable to play vs these characters. I do think that bans should be used strategically to ban counters, stop synergies, and so forth, but with the game as is, a lot of people are choosing to ban stuff that's not fun to play against. It doesn't mean everyone who plays those heroes is good at them.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

beejay posted:

Ok, well you asked why they are banned so much. That's why I ban them and almost every stream I watch is the same. It's not enjoyable to play vs these characters. I do think that bans should be used strategically to ban counters, stop synergies, and so forth, but with the game as is, a lot of people are choosing to ban stuff that's not fun to play against. It doesn't mean everyone who plays those heroes is good at them.

That's bound to happen in a game with that many heroes I'd think. I also ban based on what I hate playing against. For example, I hate fighting Lucio. He drives me crazy. But he's not necessarily any better than healers I don't mind playing against, which is also true for the bans you mentioned based on their win rates. It sounds more like a personal issue rather than a core issue with the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Midnightghoul posted:

Their balance and dev team is just straight up not up to the standard that a lot of Blizzard games are used to, and the lack of communication (or baffling reasoning on some things they do communicate, i.e. Ana's recent nerfs) and inability to fix things from PTR->Live is really compounding right now into frustration in the community. The game is not terrible by any means or dead, but it's been in noticeable decline lately.

Blizzard has balance standards? Have I been away from Overwatch long enough that people aren't constantly bitching about Mercy anymore?

Also even League of Legends pretty regularly lets poo poo slip from PTR to live. Even with a proportionally larger playerbase, they still don't get enough people testing to generate enough data to make sound balance decisions. PTR will never not be more about making sure the latest hero doesn't crash the game or instantly kill the entire enemy team when they press E than careful balancing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
These last two releases were incredibly bad by any game's standards... that shouldnt really be a controversial opinion

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

John Murdoch posted:

Blizzard has balance standards? Have I been away from Overwatch long enough that people aren't constantly bitching about Mercy anymore?

"As an example of how Blizzard doesn't care about balance, I will cite the hero who has had the most balance tweaks in Overwatch"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

John Murdoch posted:

After a couple of tries they finally got her in a place where I think she's fine now. She's not mandatory to have anymore, and it's no longer a situation where if the other team has a Mercy and you don't, you are 100% going to lose.

The problem with Blizzard is that they loving drag their feet with balancing things. They nerfed Doomfist really hard and have been taking FOREVER to make him good again. They dragged their feet with nerfing Mercy. They are, in my opinion, REALLY dragging their feet with Orisa (I think her shield is loving ridiculous). Blizzard just needs to learn that they don't have to sit on balance decisions forever

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Macaluso posted:

After a couple of tries they finally got her in a place where I think she's fine now. She's not mandatory to have anymore, and it's no longer a situation where if the other team has a Mercy and you don't, you are 100% going to lose.

Yeah, and pro play agrees - she shows up sometimes, in situations where she can res safely or teams are more comfortable with her than other options, but she's not a universal presence.

(That universal presence is now Zenyatta. :v:)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SirSamVimes posted:

"As an example of how Blizzard doesn't care about balance, I will cite the hero who has had the most balance tweaks in Overwatch"

The most balance tweaks...because they got it wrong several times in a row and people endlessly bitched until they got it mostly right.

I also don't think it was ever a question of whether Blizzard cares about balance, because that position is nonsensical. I was mainly just wondering where this mythical Blizzard was that never makes balance mistakes or inexplicable changes out of the blue, because I'm pretty sure I've heard those complaints about almost every Blizzard game ever.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 5, 2018

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

I like the slow-to-action balance approach. Broodwar meta changed drastically over years with almost no changes.

But maybe I'm from a different era. No games I played growing up ever got balance patches. People learned to beat Kirby in smash 64 and how not to get cannon rushed in Broodwar. I know that's not the same as a MOBA but sometimes letting players figure things out is better than just reactionary nerfing and buffing things because enough people on the internet whined about it. People complained endlessly about double support, they nerf supports, now everyone thinks the game is too bursty. You'll never please everyone.

They still need to tune Fenix's numbers though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ToastyPotato posted:

I think that is a given now since they had the VA come in for the hero. So that's cool.

And he already has experience announcing things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIeTZG_G0e0

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Elysium posted:

Ancient Blessings + Tracer. And you thought she was broken before...

Blizz rep says there's an internal 1 second cd: https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/8a1a5k/deckard_cain_full_talents_and_abilities/dwva1f8/

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Macaluso posted:

The problem with Blizzard is that they loving drag their feet with balancing things. They nerfed Doomfist really hard and have been taking FOREVER to make him good again. They dragged their feet with nerfing Mercy. They are, in my opinion, REALLY dragging their feet with Orisa (I think her shield is loving ridiculous). Blizzard just needs to learn that they don't have to sit on balance decisions forever

When there is a significant financial cost to pushing a patch for PS4 and XB1 then I can see why they drag their feet a bit to make sure the change is appropriate. This isn't like wow or hots where worst case they just tweak the numbers and wait a week.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

lol yeah lorenado was an April Fool's thing in 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuD5pgmtVs4

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Does winrate for a mass ban character skew itself because letting it through is something only clueless teams do?

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

kater posted:

Does winrate for a mass ban character skew itself because letting it through is something only clueless teams do?

Probably. I also saw Psalm play a game of Fenix and he got absolutely bodied. N=1, I know, but I don't really think the community has fully figured this thing out in the 10 days he's been out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There's no way of knowing, that's the sort of baseless claim people make when they're working an angle

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Anyone else read "Lorenado" as "Lo-re-NA-do"? I figured he's Italian or something.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Anyone else read "Lorenado" as "Lo-re-NA-do"? I figured he's Italian or something.

How would you pronounce Sharknado?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BrianBoitano posted:

lol yeah lorenado was an April Fool's thing in 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuD5pgmtVs4

Oh poo poo so this is what my buddy was talking about with how Cain should've been a skin for Malfurion and Twilight Dream should be replaced by "Shhh!"

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Butter Hole posted:

I like the slow-to-action balance approach. Broodwar meta changed drastically over years with almost no changes.

But maybe I'm from a different era. No games I played growing up ever got balance patches. People learned to beat Kirby in smash 64 and how not to get cannon rushed in Broodwar. I know that's not the same as a MOBA but sometimes letting players figure things out is better than just reactionary nerfing and buffing things because enough people on the internet whined about it. People complained endlessly about double support, they nerf supports, now everyone thinks the game is too bursty. You'll never please everyone.

They still need to tune Fenix's numbers though.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. People always over react with every new hero release and expect instant gratification and for changes to achieve perfect 50% winrates immediately. It's just not going to happen. The developers don't work 24/7 and they have to figure out what to change and by how much to not ruin the character and make no one want to buy them after significant capital investment in developing the hero.

HoTS has got a lot of new heroes since release. Some are overtuned on release, most have gotten fixed. Chill the gently caress out, we don't even have the primary data to rely just hotslogs.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder how much of the first two week win rate is bound up in the fact that only people who play all the time are going to have 15k gold and/or spend money for the new hero.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Samu posted:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. People always over react with every new hero release and expect instant gratification and for changes to achieve perfect 50% winrates immediately. It's just not going to happen. The developers don't work 24/7 and they have to figure out what to change and by how much to not ruin the character and make no one want to buy them after significant capital investment in developing the hero.

HoTS has got a lot of new heroes since release. Some are overtuned on release, most have gotten fixed. Chill the gently caress out, we don't even have the primary data to rely just hotslogs.
"perfect 50% winrates".... gently caress off

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Samu posted:

Nobody expects perfect 50% winrates, but maybe wanting something lower than 63% is reasonable.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Chill guys, so a character wins 2/3 of their games, can easily dominate hero damage and siege damage with great waveclear and has an escape and regenerating shields... big deal. It will get fixed sometime. I beat Battletoads on the NES without any so called "balance patches" and we didn't even have the internet. It's called :gitgud:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

how about we actually chill

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Kerrzhe posted:

how about we actually chill

Back in my day of gaming we didn't have to be asked to chill

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Moai/nexus

Only took me four tries to remember how to spell kel'thuzad and alexstrasza

100%, I feel bad.

Almost 5 minutes left too. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 5, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It's cool that I'm good enough to win almost all qm matches as Fenix.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
gently caress Sylvanas players that take Dreadful Wake. It's not a wave clearing ability, it's your escape.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is Cain a late april fools joke or is he actually happening lol

NameHurtBrain posted:

Fenix's trait is more of a Muradin trait in shield form.

Raynor's heal is more of just something that might happen if you get poked too much because it isn't going to stop you from get bursted down.

I honestly think a good design place for Raynor if they want to keep him super newb-friendly is embrace that he's a slow guy in power armor. Make him a hell of a lot more tanky than he is - Higher base HP, maybe some armor talents, things that make Inspire give some defense. Make the heal activate-able by default(but it still goes off automatically if not used). Maybe make Seasoned Marksman base line - if he's how you teach new players, give them incentive to do more than just go into a clusterfuck in mid. Give him bonus damage to minions via talent to make him really, really good at building up stacks. Turn him by default into a slow and steady character who gradually becomes a monster if left unchecked. He essentially becomes a sort of lumbering blunt object compared to the precision strikes of Tracer and other speedy ranged assassins. Fits the character - nothing fancy, but gets the job done.

Starcraft power armor is built as a prison first, spacesuit second, and armor third. :eng101:

Why he's not a vulture is beyond me.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Except Jimmy was a lawman, so he can get into and out of his suit at will, and can modify it to be better.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Cuntellectual posted:

Is Cain a late april fools joke or is he actually happening lol

Actually happening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx0sZIIJ5Bc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
A bunch of the pros streamers that I watch don't really see a place for Fenix in the pro meta.