Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Worthleast posted:

It's an ancient practice in the Church to promote someone to remove him from a situation. Promoveatur ut admoveatur. Famously Archbishop Annibale Bugnini fell out of favor with Pope Paul VI in the late 1970s and was named Apostolic Delegate to Tehran, far away from Rome and where there are not too many Catholics to be in charge of.

oh no, now I have to eat persian food every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Amen, Cythereal.

And not to take away from the spirit of the moment, I just found this intriguing:

But is a group of people in silly hats also necessarily an army without guns?

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Anyone else ever thought God was guiding you to do 'a thing', and then you're like oh poo poo maybe I'm just an insane person. Oops? This 'thing' is actually stupid and I'm probably insane. gently caress if I know.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I suppose, if anyone cares to hear my fundamental emotional reasoning, to me it's very important to my faith that no one is spiritually different from or superior to anyone else. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God - no ifs ands buts saints or priests. Those of you who have read my posts in this thread probably know I struggle with severe depression, but it's not a new thing for me. It's something I've struggled with since I was a child, and family and friends have for decades commented that I'm harder on myself than anyone they know.

When I came to faith, it was a faith born of believing that God truly loved and cared for even the least of us, and even me, a shy, depressed, lonely, relentlessly bullied kid with a mediocre school record who was literally going bald in middle school from stress and had twice been investigated by the police because people told them they were worried I'd shoot up the school (this wasn't long after Columbine), was equal in God's eyes with the best and brightest of mankind. That when I prayed to God, he heard me and listened to me.

That's colored how I've always seen Christianity, and faith. That God is a friend, lover, and champion of the oppressed, the exiled, the depressed, and the lonely. I think that's why I so bristle at concepts like a special priesthood or saints. For me, it's important to believe that there are no intercessory powers, no innate spiritual meaning to the priesthood or even the sacraments. That if you believe in Christ and try your best to live a Christian life, no matter how many times you fail or how badly you screw up, God understands and will meet you wherever you're at.

I'm a fan of liberation theology and queer theology as a result, and I've always stressed God as a being of compassion and forgiveness.

You and I are cut from the same cloth. I'm glad you're around.

Drop in on a United Methodist church sometime. You might find it more accommodating. We're not particularly rigid doctrinally, so you should find plenty of room to grow your own theology. As John Wesley said, "But as to all opinions which do not strike at the root of Christianity, we think and let think."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Goobish posted:

Anyone else ever thought God was guiding you to do 'a thing', and then you're like oh poo poo maybe I'm just an insane person. Oops? This 'thing' is actually stupid and I'm probably insane. gently caress if I know.

all the time. do you have anyone you can talk to about it? worked for me

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Goobish posted:

no

edit: to be more serious, things like therapists, a church community, priests, tradition, and scripture exist to help sort these things out.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 5, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Goobish posted:

I honestly don't know if I'd do a thing God told me to do because my first impulse would be to think I'm losing my mind.

Plus I kinda got to see a case of a would-be prophet end in ruin

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Goobish posted:

Yes, I've had that thought. I stopped and reexamined what I was doing and decided it wasn't hurting anyone and was intended to do something good. Therefore, even if it wasn't exactly what God wanted, it would be something else God would appreciate so I went on and did it anyway.

People get too hung up on God's Will as though it's some massive, ineffable thing we have to figure out and then find what our specific role is within it.

God's Will is for us to become more Christlike and representative of Him here on Earth. So do that. Work at being more Christlike and you'll be within God's will.

If you perceive that God wants you to do a specific task, it's usually less about the task, and more about you doing it - as that is something God wants you to do that He thinks will develop your soul to be more Christlike.

Love is about commitment and doing things, so get busy and do things for God. Show love to others and you will do God's will.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Cythereal posted:

To me, there's no actual dilemma. I am, and will be, looking for a church community where I feel at home. To me, community is more important than theology up to a point. For me, church has always been a place to find friends and people I can look up to and talk to when I'm troubled spiritually. But the fact that I disregard theology does have limits, and for me the Catholic and Orthodox churches cross those limits. I do not like the concept of the priesthood in their senses. I do not like the veneration of Mary. I do not like the veneration of saints. I'm not personally convinced demons in the classic sense even exist. It would take something truly special to make me go along with what I so completely disagree with, and this local Catholic church is not that.

A word to the wise: better to not have in one's life phenomena to convince one that demons in the classic sense exist.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i’ve had dreams where i encountered ghosts and demons and i told them they needed to rely on amida’s primal vow and recite the nembutsu in order to be reborn in the pure land

surely there’s a saint who did something similar for demons, whether successful or not

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Goobish posted:

All the time. In my early recovery, I misunderstood which part were the divine and which came from my own ego, but with the practice of prayer and meditation, eventually I realized which are gods and spirits, and which are my own delusions :)

tl;dr you're probably not insane, chill

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Senju Kannon posted:

i’ve had dreams where i encountered ghosts and demons and i told them they needed to rely on amida’s primal vow and recite the nembutsu in order to be reborn in the pure land

surely there’s a saint who did something similar for demons, whether successful or not

They are definitely people who pray for universal reconciliation including Satan, etc

Tias
May 25, 2008

IIRC this thread told me hardcore catholodocs pray for the salvation of demons, which owns

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Demons, hm? Since they come up from time to time in this thread, I've prayed on the subject more than once.

For me, I take in a material world and project outwards a spiritual dimension. The only demons I've known are personifications of things which twist good things into bad. Whether it's called greed or Mammon, the true symptoms are the same, and the true remedies are the same.

At the completion of the universe's evolution, at the omega point, every broken thing will be redeemed and resurrected for an eternal and perfect life. In a spiritual projection, this can resemble an obliteration of the demons, an obliteration of their demonic nature, or a separation of a resurrected angel and a condemned demon, and effectively they will mean the same thing: there will be no more bad, and the good shall be everywhere and forever.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

no

edit: to be more serious, things like therapists, a church community, priests, tradition, and scripture exist to help sort these things out.

Yeah, I've been slowly sort of integrating into a church community. My main understanding of God is through an AA perspective, so whoever made the post on Gods Will hit is right on the nose.

Therapy is good and I'm also trying to sort that out because even with the 12 steps, sanity is not something I have currently restored.

The Bible still confuses the hell out of me and I don't see myself making much sense of it. Not in a way that would make me feel any less insane. I started attending a Bible study and it still just feels really out there.

Thanks for the feedback though guys. A lot of your conversations go over my head so I'm sure my questions always seem trivial, but it helps me a lot so thank you.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Goobish posted:

A lot of your conversations go over my head so I'm sure my questions always seem trivial, but it helps me a lot so thank you.

I think there's some intentional confusion-sowing going on here, because it's kind of fun to talk about stuff that is only really familiar to people in your denomination as if everyone should know what you're talking about. And it's fun if you get what others are saying without having to ask. And it's actually fun to ask, too, and then be educated.

Simple questions are usually the best ones. Complex ones are mostly about matters that aren't so important.

E: That's not to say simple questions have simple answers but they tend to be the ones that are most fruitful to discuss about.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 5, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CountFosco posted:

A word to the wise: better to not have in one's life phenomena to convince one that demons in the classic sense exist.

In my experience humans do not need outside help in loving up massively and being terrible people.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Goobish posted:

A lot of your conversations go over my head so I'm sure my questions always seem trivial, but it helps me a lot so thank you.

I absolutely feel you on this. Every time we get into theology and philosophy and whatever the hell a 'telos' is.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's the location of Atris' secret Jedi temple after the Jedi Civil War, duh

Tias
May 25, 2008

What game is this from, btw?

Caufman posted:

Amen, Cythereal.

And not to take away from the spirit of the moment, I just found this intriguing:

But is a group of people in silly hats also necessarily an army without guns?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tias posted:

What game is this from, btw?

e: Hearts of Iron IV, I think?

Tias
May 25, 2008

is it less dumb incomprehensive micromanaging than HoI 3? Because if so I'm in :D

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tias posted:

is it less dumb incomprehensive micromanaging than HoI 3? Because if so I'm in :D

I wouldn't know, I had to google to tell if it was that or EUIV. I'm mostly a Crusader Kings II guy as far as Paradox games go.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tias posted:

Yeah, its actually playable unlike HoI3. The air and navy stuff doesn't work great and the AI occasionally shits itself but it's still a million times better than 3.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tias posted:

It is. They got rid of the crazy "build regiments seperately and combine them thing" to go back to just building divisions", and you can set up armies and army groups and assign them battle plans ahead of time, which they'll generally do a good job carrying out. So there's a lot less fidgeting with individual divisions.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Hearts of Iron IV is probably the best paradox game at the moment, especially if you can play with friends/goons.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ceciltron posted:

Hearts of Iron IV is probably the best paradox game at the moment, especially if you can play with friends/goons.

That's a funny way to spell "Stellaris."

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Cythereal posted:

In my experience humans do not need outside help in loving up massively and being terrible people.

I don't think most of the people in the thread who believe in demons (that's "of the ones of us who believe in demons, most of us", not "most of us believe in demons") think humans need help to be terrible people. But it's not unreasonable to think that just like there are things that hurt us and things that help us in the physical world, there's things that hurt us and help us in the spiritual one. We don't need to be bitten by a mosquito to feel itchy (sometimes we don't need any physical stimulus at all for that) but mosquito bites sure do itch, right? If stories of angels aren't just metaphors for encountering God - if there's actual non-physical beings whom God can send on a task, or whom God can direct to protect a person or a city - then it's not unreasonable to think that biblical stories of fallen angels are also not merely metaphorical.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zonohedron posted:

I don't think most of the people in the thread who believe in demons (that's "of the ones of us who believe in demons, most of us", not "most of us believe in demons") think humans need help to be terrible people. But it's not unreasonable to think that just like there are things that hurt us and things that help us in the physical world, there's things that hurt us and help us in the spiritual one. We don't need to be bitten by a mosquito to feel itchy (sometimes we don't need any physical stimulus at all for that) but mosquito bites sure do itch, right? If stories of angels aren't just metaphors for encountering God - if there's actual non-physical beings whom God can send on a task, or whom God can direct to protect a person or a city - then it's not unreasonable to think that biblical stories of fallen angels are also not merely metaphorical.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Angels and demons are not something I spend any time thinking about. There is good in the world and there is evil, I've never seen the point in ascribing either to supernatural power. Christ asks nothing of us that we are not capable of regardless of belief structure or lack thereof, and no human except Christ himself was without sin. For me, faith comes at the end of human limits and understanding. We can't be what God hopes us to be and asks us to attempt to be. We can try, but at the end of the day everyone is face down in the dirt - even Mary. That's where faith comes in.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

When you cross yourself, does it matter if you go left-to-right or right-to-left? Does it depend on your denomination, or is it personal preference?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Samuel Clemens posted:

When you cross yourself, does it matter if you go left-to-right or right-to-left? Does it depend on your denomination, or is it personal preference?

orthodox start on the right; catholics on the left

at some point in time soemone hosed up, but i don't know which was first

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm a massive disappointment to my Presbyterian mother because I cross myself at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

as the least qualified person to possibly weigh in on this: spectacles, testicles, wallet, and watch

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

Oriental Orthodox (both Tewahedo and Coptic that I know of) do it the Catholic way so who knows

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

if you mean your own right, apparently I was/am* accidentally orthodox, although i'm not sure if that's a general Anglican thing or just my thing

then again the anglican thing to do is refer it to a committee for the next five centuries and have everyone do what they feel like until it becomes traditional for their sub-denomination

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if you mean your own right, apparently I was/am* accidentally orthodox, although i'm not sure if that's a general Anglican thing or just my thing

I'm pretty sure that's not an Anglican thing.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

then again the anglican thing to do is refer it to a committee for the next five centuries and have everyone do what they feel like until it becomes traditional for their sub-denomination

OK keep doing your thing.

Jokes aside, and for all its faults, I truly love the fact that Anglicanism ties itself in knots to avoid Schism and bad feeling between its members. No-one should want to have to call their neighbours heretics. If we sometimes err on the side of laxity, then we do it out of a love of unity and fraternity.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I like the way old orthodox ladies cross themselves. Its like superspeed diagonal slashes.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Swiped from the eastern europe thread:

SaltyJesus posted:

this is a real book you can buy right now

Orthodoxy and the Challenges of Computer Technology

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i hate it when i try to grab my laptop but instead it's a crocodile and i'm in the middle of a jungle and not my room

every day with that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

i hate it when i try to grab my laptop but instead it's a crocodile and i'm in the middle of a jungle and not my room

every day with that poo poo

Just the other day I lost 3 fingers to an alligator when I tried to order a pizza online.

• Locked thread