Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So what are you all doing for paint schemes for your Rebels? I don't want them all the same, since I want it to feel like a thrown together force. I'm thinking of doing each squad in a different scheme. Like one desert, one forest, one urban, that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've only painted my squad leaders, but I'm doing red shirt and hat, grey pants. The squad leader's coat is blue to make him stand out.

I'm a pretty bad painter so I'm keeping it really basic and just going for tabletop quality. Army Painter Dark Shade is a magic elixir.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Funzo posted:

So what are you all doing for paint schemes for your Rebels? I don't want them all the same, since I want it to feel like a thrown together force. I'm thinking of doing each squad in a different scheme. Like one desert, one forest, one urban, that kind of thing.

Yeah varying squads could work to show different origins. Alternatively, use similar colours but lighter and darker shades to show them going for a uniform but having to make them in different places with the fabrics they had.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can you make a full 800 point army out of the core set or do you need to buy more stuff?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
You need to get more stuff. Another trooper set will help - I'm holding out until the Fleet troopers/Snowtroopers launch.

A core set is about 450-500 points.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Deviant posted:

Can you make a full 800 point army out of the core set or do you need to buy more stuff?

At minimum you need a third corps unit for each side, imperials could probably stretch that to 800 with upgrades, but you’ll probably need another box of something beyond that for each faction.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
How's balance in this? I've only given the rules a quick look-through while I was putting the models in the starter together. Neither side LOOKS much better than the other, but maybe Rebels are a little trickier?

I'm still kinda torn between my tendency to do the 'Good Guys' vs really liking the Vader and storm trooper models, and the speeders. I imagine a certain joy in commanding Stormtroopers to their almost certain deaths.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

OB_Juan posted:

How's balance in this? I've only given the rules a quick look-through while I was putting the models in the starter together. Neither side LOOKS much better than the other, but maybe Rebels are a little trickier?

I'm still kinda torn between my tendency to do the 'Good Guys' vs really liking the Vader and storm trooper models, and the speeders. I imagine a certain joy in commanding Stormtroopers to their almost certain deaths.

Anecdotes say it's a little tilted toward the rebels bexause Luke and AT Rts feel like more bang for the points than Vader and the ATST, but it's wave 0 so it's pretty bare bones

You'll be pleased to know Vader has an order New Ways To Motivate that lets him choke out a trooper from a unit to grant it an extra action.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Uhm... Sold.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Like with a lot of games the starter is a really good value to ah... Start... and gets better when you and a friend pick factions and split 2 so you have enough points for a full size game if you put it all on the table.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I got to play this for my birthday yesterday. I took empire (because I usually play empire). I accidentally told my opponent that luke uses his light-saber value for his pistol, and he decimated my speeders. Darth charged in and under a hail of gunfire killed each other. The AT-RT went down finally and the last remaining troopers started trying to kill each other. Finally it was down to a unit of 5 troops to a unit of my 4 stormtroopers. My final one went down, leaving just 3 troopers for a pretty hard-fought loss.

I feel like the game is a bit clunkier in rules than X-wing, but it seems alright. I don't play that many miniatures games, or at least ground battle ones, so I don't know how it compares to like say warhammer/warmahordes.

I kind of really don't like Darth, at least in the starter game without the abilities he's just so slow with no ranged attack. I'm tempted to get Veers.

I kind of hope they don't add a new S&V faction. I kind of feel like it messed up the balance and meta of X-wing, where the S&V became the special favored child of the game.

It'd be a shame to not include Bobba fett, so I hope they'll do some sort of bounty hunter hiring thing maybe. (Though I have a feeling they will do a S&V faction, like they did with X-wing, ImpAss, Armada...)

Hate me if you will, but I'd love to see Ewoks as a unit as well (I don't hate Ewoks as much as many people seem to :P)

Also, RE:when they will include prequel stuff. I hate to break it to you, but the AT-RT is from clone wars. :P

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 2, 2018

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I hope they do transports so that slow-movers like Vader have some actual board control.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

So I played another learning game via TTS, this time as rebels, and I lost again. :P

Darth vader charged forward and decimated a unit of troops. I had another firing, along with my AT-RT trying to end him, but he then charged and killed another unit before finally going down. Once again it came down to just troopers at the last turn, but I only had 1 unit left, and my opponent had two on turn 6, so won on points.

Now I want to try an actual full game, though I don't know if I want to sink money into this game on top of the $80 I spent on the core game right now, so I'll probibly stick with a built army of 400-500 points with what I've got using the full rules next time.

I'm leaning towards getting Veers or an AT-ST for next purchase, since I usually play empire in x-wing. Though I do like the idea of being Han Solo in his Endor Moon assault outfit. (Partly nostalgia for the Kenner figure I had)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Foolster41 posted:

(Though I have a feeling they will do a S&V faction, like they did with X-wing, ImpAss, Armada...)

Armada has no S&V faction.

But I would totally buy an ewok faction or gungun faction.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I sorta expect they'll do some Clone Wars stuff, since there's a poo poo ton of material out there for it and since a generation of now-adults grew up on that stuff.

The question at that point is do they introduce two new armies (Republic and Separatists) or introduce both as expansion units for the Empire and Rebellion respectively.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Apparently droids are next year as well as scum.

But there hasn't been a formal announcement and waves are every three months.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

New core set confirmed!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

But there hasn't been a formal announcement and waves are every three months.

I hope they create new factions for CW seperate from CW.

I kind of was hoping they'd handle Scum like Regiments of Reknown in Warhammer: either army can hire them as a special unit choice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/3/maximum-firepower-1/
Here comes Veers! Interesting that the 1 pip command card gives an extra attack.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Veers seems very strong. Spotter seems like an amazing ability.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah, everything about him looks great. I was worried the command phase would just feel kind of bolted on and vestigial, but with some of these cards it feels very well integrated with the rest of the game. I also like how strongly some of these commanders are influencing the list building around them.

Putting an AT-AT on one of Veers' cards is a hell of tease though...

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I hope Leia's command hand is really ownage. With the current selection of units available even though she's cheaper than Luke, he might be the better value simply because there isn't a whole lot to spend the extra points on (it's fairly easy to max out on AT-RTs and Troopers and still take Luke, and the speeder isn't very good imo). Luke on his own might be better and have more of an impact on a game than Leia and a bunch of heavy weapons upgrades for your squads. It's too bad that the commando dudes are dropping with Han, because I could see them being a good use of the bonus points actually.

Veers is going to be a game changer for imps for sure. Vader isn't worth 200 points imo.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 3, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

StuG Jeebus posted:

Yeah, everything about him looks great. I was worried the command phase would just feel kind of bolted on and vestigial, but with some of these cards it feels very well integrated with the rest of the game. I also like how strongly some of these commanders are influencing the list building around them.

Putting an AT-AT on one of Veers' cards is a hell of tease though...

I mean, I get that it's an abstraction for calling in an off-map heavy artillery strike, but it could also be interpreted that he's going to do a Care Bear Stare and roll 4 red dice through the power of an angry look

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Armada has no S&V faction.

But I would totally buy an ewok faction or gungun faction.

Oh, I never played Armada, so that was a guess.

I doubt either would be their own faction, probibly would fit in light side.

Actually, how factioning works in Legion is weird because it's not rebels and empire, but "light side" and "dark side", I wonder if they did that on purpose to more easily map the prequel factions. Not sure how scum works with that ("The grey side").

Here's my prediction for what will probibly appear in the next few waves:

EMPIRE / Dark Side
Imeprial Guard - Special Forces
Imperial Commandos (with officer Leader) - Special Forces
Gran Moff Tarken - Commander
Mini ATAT? - Heavy (Original is too big, precident is the destroyers in x-wing)

REBELS / Light Side
R2D2 & 3CPO - Support?
The Ghost Crew? - Special Forces? (Having a squad of named characters would be interesting)
Mandorian Troops - Corps?
Lando - Commander

SCUM
Gamorian Guards - Troops (Possibly duel faction with rebels like some of the x-wing ships?)
Jabba the Hutt - Commander
Bobba Fett (Of course!) - Special Forces?
Dengar - Special Forces?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I hope the battle droids can be allied to dark side simply, because I love their basic solider and the destroyer droid aesthetic, but everything else is hot garbage

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Mercenary units, while cool on paper, never work out well for a game. They're just too difficult to design around, you either end up not powerful enough to be worth taking over faction troops or they cover an area a particular army lacks and they end up being mandatory.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The thing I notice about Legion is the differenciation is really quite granular and ultimately low. I don't think we'll really see a huge amount of forced factional Identity as it were, I don't think the ruleset really accommodates off-the-wall kinda stuff. Most of an army's identity will come from building around a leader's strengths and I don't doubt that as time goes on, both factions will more or less be able to build armies to suit any particular taste. As opposed to Xwing where each faction typically has an aspect of the game that is particular to them, or that they excel at.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
As soon as this game gets Death Troopers I'm all in.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

You know, I don't think X-wing was this expensive to get a legal standard list. I think you had to buy maybe 1 more $15 expansion (For a total of $55 investment, $60 for a rebel and imp list.). It looks like I need to buy ~$75 in expansions, or another core (Which costs $90) to get a legal 800 point army. (and even then I think ~750 points is the most I can squeeze in for rebels). That's rediculous. So to get both factions lists I need to spend $80-150 (with spending more I get more varied armies rather than just two core sets) compared to x-wings $60-70

They should make the standard game points something more like 600 points, and a minimum of 2 corps. That would be much more reasonable.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
X-wing required a minimum of $70 for a core set and two additional X-wings. There is no 100 point list you can make with two X-wings.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Foolster41 posted:

You know, I don't think X-wing was this expensive to get a legal standard list. I think you had to buy maybe 1 more $15 expansion (For a total of $55 investment, $60 for a rebel and imp list.). It looks like I need to buy ~$75 in expansions, or another core (Which costs $90) to get a legal 800 point army. (and even then I think ~750 points is the most I can squeeze in for rebels). That's rediculous. So to get both factions lists I need to spend $80-150 (with spending more I get more varied armies rather than just two core sets) compared to x-wings $60-70

They should make the standard game points something more like 600 points, and a minimum of 2 corps. That would be much more reasonable.

If you compare it to something like Warhammer or Warmachine it's more reasonable, but don't take that as me defending the pricing. It feels a lot cheaper to swap rebel/imperial factions with a friend from your two cores, then you have a fairly playable 800 right out of the box(es), and only really need to add an ATST/T47 to have a pretty robust force (for wave one).

Xwing at release you needed to buy at least two more rebel expansions (to get to three ships for 100 points) and I think Imperials would have needed at least two more ships, if not a second core outright, so I think you're also underestimating the cost of X-Wing at launch, as well.

e: beaten, kinda.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yea I can't compare to X-Wing, but you can get an incredibly competitive list for dirt cheap in this game compared to WMH. Even if you don't trade, a core, 4 more units of troopers and 2 more AT-RTs is like what, 250 Canadian?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah, it's a bargain compared to warhammer, but from what I heard/seen of warhammer's pricing that's an incredibly low bar. (Warhahordes might be more reasonably priced)

If I had someone else who could split the price, yeah, Two Cores, a AT-ST and a T47 would be not too bad, that's almost $200 US a person. Like I said though, I'm not sure I can even with that get two full 800 point armies.

Strobe posted:

X-wing required a minimum of $70 for a core set and two additional X-wings. There is no 100 point list you can make with two X-wings.

I didn't say you could. But yeah, I underestimated at core + one expansion (What I actually said). A core and two $15 expansions was $80. Or heck two different cores (the regular and FA core) was $80 and you could make a 100 pt. list from that easily.

I guess my point was, I didn't realize how much a money investment I was getting into it would take to get a standard list. I'm hoping they release an alternate core like they did for X-wing, so I don't just have two armies with doubles of everything. I still think they should have made the point requirements smaller, I don't think you can even get 600 points with the core, so you'd require at least another trooper pack for either side, not a large thing like the ATST/Glider or another set of Speeders/ATRTs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Eh, getting into X-Wing to actually play a proper game of X-Wing with a real competitive list is a lot more expensive than just "I got a starter and a couple expansions." If anything Legion is (so far) giving appearances of being a little less ridiculous of "buy the latest expansion to get the essential synergistic upgrade for the unit we released 2 waves ago."

And if you're just playing kitchen table with pals, it doesn't matter how many points you play.

Basically the tabletop gaming hobby is stupid expensive and you gotta make piece with that or find some inide PDF game that uses little green army men as playing pieces.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just finished painting my 3 squads of rebel troopers. Not posting pics because I am so drat bad at painting minis. Having shaky rear end hands does not help at all. At least I get to start painting my AT-RTs and snow speeder now which should actually be fun.

In other news my FLGS just received a form from FFG/Asmodee asking what regionals the would be interested in hosting and Legion was on the list. So it looks like there will be Legion regionals at the end of the year/early next year. I really hope that they spread them out.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Eh, getting into X-Wing to actually play a proper game of X-Wing with a real competitive list is a lot more expensive than just "I got a starter and a couple expansions." If anything Legion is (so far) giving appearances of being a little less ridiculous of "buy the latest expansion to get the essential synergistic upgrade for the unit we released 2 waves ago."

And if you're just playing kitchen table with pals, it doesn't matter how many points you play.

Basically the tabletop gaming hobby is stupid expensive and you gotta make piece with that or find some inide PDF game that uses little green army men as playing pieces.

Yeah. I gave up on playing competitively with x-wing a long time ago, I mean mostly just being able to do a "proper" point value list, even if it's a poo poo list. IDK, it feels like they're starting already with the upgrades in certain packs thing (grappling hookis), and X-wing felt pretty nicely balanced for the first couple waves, and then got ridiculous with upgrades you could only find in certain faction packs (like scum), and turrets (especially TLTs). Though it's pretty easy to proxy upgrades and the battlefield cards since I like I said, I really don't plan on playing competitively anyway.

I might figure out how to make base token the right size as unit stand-ins too for the time being. I'm planning on waiting a while before I buy any more legion stuff since I've already spend $90.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I've played 2 800 point games of this so far, both times as Rebels

First time the Imperials tabled me, but the second time the Rebels tabled the Imps, including the AT-ST. The lists in the game I won were basically Vader with Force Choke and Saber Throw, 3xStormtrooper Squads with Rifle Guy, and a fully kitted-out AT-ST vs. Luke with Force Push and Force Reflexes, 6x Rebel Trooper Squads with Minigun guy, and two AT-RTs with heavy blaster cannons. It seems like the best tactic for the Rebels is to play super-duper defensively, staying in cover and dodging until they softened up the Imperials enough to move in for the kill.

Also blowing up an AT-ST feels so good.

The list in the game I lost had only 1 AT-RT, two fewer squads of troops, only one mini gun and two ion rifles and then another squad of five with no special weapon, and the air speeder (which died on like turn two).

Over all I am really loving the hell out of this game. I used to be a huge Star Wars nerd but I don't remember much from outside the movies and, like, SWTOR so I have no idea what other units they can include after the ones they've announced and, like, Death Troopers, Scout Troopers, Imperial Guard, and like that squad of dudes from Rogue One was it?

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 6, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Foolster41 posted:

I didn't say you could. But yeah, I underestimated at core + one expansion (What I actually said). A core and two $15 expansions was $80. Or heck two different cores (the regular and FA core) was $80 and you could make a 100 pt. list from that easily.

I cut out the middle explanation a bit, because at release X-wing had X-wings, Y-wings, TIE Advanced and TIE Fighters.

Two core sets is not actually enough to get to 100 points in any combination of upgrades. The most expensive X-wing pilots are 29 and 31 points (standard and FA), and the most points in upgrades you can put on either of them in the cores is 13 points. The TIE Fighters are even worse off, because the two TIEs in the original core come to a maximum of 39 points with upgrades.

Legion is doing pretty good when compared on even terms. A single AT-ST gets the Imperial side up to nearly a full tournament list, and what's more that actually looks like a pretty well balanced list.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Am I confused, or is Darth Vader in the learning game with no powers really bad? He didn't seem to have any mitigation beyond deflect, and I was just throwing dice and hoping they stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Strobe: Maybe I'm mis-remembering. It's been a while since I built core-only x-wing lists.

Yeah, for the most part he's pretty bad. I got over confident and moved my rebel troopers too close to Darth and let him slow walk up and slaughter two of my troops (though to be fair, my table I think was a bit smaller than 3'x3', also having that move and strike thing helps negate the speed issue some since you can double move and attack, or aim, move and attack). I've only played the learning game so far twice, and I really want to try out force choke and sabre throw.