Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SalTheBard posted:

Do they really get it done in one business day because holy poo poo thats some amazing turnaround for $40. I'm strongly considering having them do my system. I feel stupid asking this question are motherboards backwards compatible? Like could I throw an i3 on my Z370 for the few days I would be down?

They took a day for me yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I mean, it's probably 15 minutes or less for them to do a single CPU. So unless they let themselves get worked into a backlog, that's not surprising.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Wait, is there any CPU option pricier than an 8700k that doesn’t have the heat spreader problem? For $40 to send it off I could just buy a higher end CPU that doesn’t have this problem I would hope? Or are people doing this precisely because there’s no option besides going another $100+ or something?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

necrobobsledder posted:

Wait, is there any CPU option pricier than an 8700k that doesn’t have the heat spreader problem? For $40 to send it off I could just buy a higher end CPU that doesn’t have this problem I would hope? Or are people doing this precisely because there’s no option besides going another $100+ or something?

There's nothing in Intel's consumer lineup atm. You could go Ryzen, which has soldered IHS, but that's another kettle of fish entirely.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
It seems Intel consumer chips have had this poo poo IHS problem for a while now. Your next step up for 8th gen is an i9 for like double price.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

Wait, is there any CPU option pricier than an 8700k that doesn’t have the heat spreader problem?

In short, no. Even their i9 7980X 18-Core CPU will drop 20C in temp with a delid and application of liquid metal. Even like kryonaut paste is better than Intel's stock paste, but I am unsure if the performance difference.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

jokes posted:

I'm looking at that 8400. I have a 6700k I don't overclock (I was going to before I got an ITX case) that I can sell for roughly what I paid for it and buy an 8400 instead. Swapping out my motherboard with a newer B-class one, I'll end up making like $50. Am I correct in seeing that an 8400 is as good as a non-OC i7-6700k?

I'd say so in general. The 6700k will clock a little bit higher but nowhere near enough to make up for two more cores unless they aren't being used at all.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Moey posted:

It seems Intel consumer chips have had this poo poo IHS problem for a while now. Your next step up for 8th gen is an i9 for like double price.

Still not soldered :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Switched my NH-L9i for a much larger NH-L12S. Still hitting high 80s and low 90s with a i7 8700. No longer hitting throttling temps though, so....yay? I think.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

buglord posted:

Switched my NH-L9i for a much larger NH-L12S. Still hitting high 80s and low 90s with a i7 8700. No longer hitting throttling temps though, so....yay? I think.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Repaste, undervolt, delid.

Does your case have any airflow at all?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Umm.

No case fans heh. Just the CPU fan under the PSU fan. And then a big honkin GPU on the other side.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
A 140mm fan at the front would probably help a bit here.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

buglord posted:

Umm.

No case fans heh. Just the CPU fan under the PSU fan. And then a big honkin GPU on the other side.

Install a 120mm AIO in the front

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

buglord posted:

Umm.

People like so mod those Sugo cases so put the PSU at the front, which makes way more room for a heatsink.

https://imgur.com/a/n70oA#OlH1u2U

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

buglord posted:

Problem solved. I had to dig around the ASUS ROG forums for a couple of painful hours, but I figured out how to undervolt my CPU since the motherboard is so keen on giving it a ton of extra power. I did a voltage offset by -0.040, ran Prime95, Cinebench, and the Intel CPU burn test, and it ran stable. (-0.050 caused BSOD, -0.045 resulted in general weirdness). Cinebench scores went up, CPU temps in Kingdom Come Deliverance (which heats up my CPU way more than any other program??) dont go higher than 75C. Also my idle temps dropped by 10C.

Starting to think high end motherboards are more trouble than they're worth, especially if i'm running a non-K CPU and need to control temps.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't say that. SFF systems with high end components require tweaking either way, and "overclocking" boards allow that. Both ways. It's just that the defaults are tuned towards higher power use/temperatures to get a bit more performance out of even non-overclocking parts (like non-K CPUs). Unfortunately this is at odds with a basic SFF setup where you don't have room for excessive tower coolers or multiple AiOs and lots of options for case fans for airflow.

But I'm glad it's working now. I probably have to repaste my delidded 7700k, it goes up to 90°C in Prime95 and I don't think it should (it's fine in games with 70°C though).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah I mean to say the board isnt bad and im sure it has its OC uses, but its kind of obnoxious that I had to go through the weekend effort to figure out why it was causing sky-high CPU temps. I think i've been on the Apple platform for too long and got used to simplicity.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Thinking of building my first MiniITX system. How do the parts picked below look? Any recommendations for a cooler? I have a video card and some SSDs I'm gonna throw in it for now. If there's anywhere I can save a little $$ without too much of a performance hit, I'm all ears.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($346.69 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H200i (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($124.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($114.68 @ OutletPC)
Total: $893.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-19 16:01 EDT-0400

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

tonic posted:

Thinking of building my first MiniITX system. How do the parts picked below look? Any recommendations for a cooler? I have a video card and some SSDs I'm gonna throw in it for now. If there's anywhere I can save a little $$ without too much of a performance hit, I'm all ears.

Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($114.68 @ OutletPC)

Those are great choices, do you have a Microcenter near you? Also you need a CPU cooler, probably want an AIO for that case.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

tonic posted:

Consider the Thermaltake Core V1 case, it is less than half the price, smaller overall, and super-easy to build in because 5 of the sides pop off, it's my favorite case for the money: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015UDUAKG/

The best performing paste is only $12: https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Kryonaut-Grease-Paste/dp/B011F7W3LU/

For a cooler, a Cryorig M9i for $20 is solid, and the Core V1's built-in 200mm fan will give it some extra help: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0177GTTB0/

For the PSU, the EVGA Supernova G3 has the same 7-year warranty, same efficiency, but only $70 (or $50 with rebate) instead of $115 for the Corsair. It is 50 less watts, but no modern GPU can max that out, I promise: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sMM323/evga-supernova-g3-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0550

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 19, 2018

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Consider the Thermaltake Core V1 case, it is less than half the price, smaller overall, and super-easy to build in because 5 of the sides pop off, it's my favorite case for the money: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015UDUAKG/

The best performing paste is only $12: https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Kryonaut-Grease-Paste/dp/B011F7W3LU/

For a cooler, a Cryorig M9i for $20 is solid, and the Core V1's built-in 200mm fan will give it some extra help: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0177GTTB0/

For the PSU, the EVGA Supernova G3 has the same 7-year warranty, same efficiency, but only $70 (or $50 with rebate) instead of $115 for the Corsair. It is 50 less watts, but no modern GPU can max that out, I promise: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sMM323/evga-supernova-g3-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0550

Thanks, grabbed that cooler/paste and the PSU that you recommended.

Any thoughts on this case: BitFenix Mini-ITX Tower Case Without Power Supply, Arctic White BFC-PRO-300-WWXKW-RP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BZYJ6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8hI2AbY3XVMNM ?

Finally, I’ve been out of the PC scene for a while and video cards seem crazy expensive. Should I go Nvidia? Will a GeForce 1060 work for most gaming needs?

tonic fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 20, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

tonic posted:

Thanks, grabbed that cooler/paste and the PSU that you recommended.

Any thoughts on this case: BitFenix Mini-ITX Tower Case Without Power Supply, Arctic White BFC-PRO-300-WWXKW-RP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BZYJ6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8hI2AbY3XVMNM ?

Finally, I’ve been out of the PC scene for a while and video cards seem crazy expensive. Should I go Nvidia? Will a GeForce 1060 work for most gaming needs?

That case is really big for Mitx (like 3 times the volume of the Core V1) and I had it for a bit, the hard rubber carrying handles are uncomfortable to actually carry it with if you're transporting it, and the bottom hard rubber feet can make the case slant over time. Mostly I think there's actually mATX towers smaller than that case.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

tonic posted:

Start with your intended output resolution and go from there. 1080p/60? A 1060 6gb is great.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

here is a case size and dimension comparison chart over from reddit

While the NCase M1 is the ideal form me, i am pleasantly surprised at how similar the Define Nano S looks to be size wise, when placed next to each other.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 20, 2018

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Full Copper Cryorig C7: http://hexus.net/tech/news/cooling/117383-cryorig-c7-cu-full-copper-heatsink-cooler-released/

I just wish they'd stop using that non-standard fan mounting....
It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up, anyway.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 22, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

Full Copper Cryorig C7: http://hexus.net/tech/news/cooling/117383-cryorig-c7-cu-full-copper-heatsink-cooler-released/

Could be good with a different fan, if you don't mind using zip-ties I guess :v:

It's unfortunate Dan aborted his 48mm (height) low profile cooler project, I had high hopes for that. But apparently one of the manufacturers he was working with took over some of his research and plans to do a similar cooler eventually.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

loving finally... Cryorig was telling me and others in emails that it was coming out in 2017.

orcane posted:

It's unfortunate Dan aborted his 48mm (height) low profile cooler project, I had high hopes for that. But apparently one of the manufacturers he was working with took over some of his research and plans to do a similar cooler eventually.

My NFC S4 Mini case only has 45mm of height, but the Cryorig C7 with the Cryorig CR-XTA 140mm slim fan comes out to 44mm total height and fits inside fine. I'm sure the copper will be a big help (their page is claiming 15% better performance... which is a low enough quote that I actually believe it lol)

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

HalloKitty posted:

Speaking of which, what is the go-to cooler for a Dan A4 anyway? I'm assuming Cryorig C7 or Noctua L9i? Kinda really want to do a A4 build right now, but I'm not really sure how to cool a 8700k in something that small.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

Speaking of which, what is the go-to cooler for a Dan A4 anyway? I'm assuming Cryorig C7 or Noctua L9i? Kinda really want to do a A4 build right now, but I'm not really sure how to cool a 8700k in something that small.
C7 or some DYI solution, the L9i is made for much less powerful CPUs - a 8700k will probably reach throttling temperatures in no time if you use a stock L9i on top of a 8700k with default settings (ideally on a mainboard with multicore enhancements on :v:).

You can put a different fan on top the L9i heatsink (it's tiny so you can fit a 25mm fan on it) or use a 14 or 15 mm Noctua (eg.) fan on top of a better heatsink like that of the C7 or LP53.

People who run that sort of CPU also delid or undervolt. A 10-20 degree difference from delidding is huge.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What are the best cases in terms of sound management and thermals in the vein of the node 202, which can be put vertical and are fairly slim?

May end up going with the Define Nano S anyway

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I’ve always leaned toward fractal cases because I want system as quiet as possible.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So I just put together my system and it's working great-- I had one major issue during my build though. I used the Cryorig M9 cooler and, for whatever reason, the cooler mounting plate seems to sit too close to one of the ram slots and blocks me from loading a DIMM in that spot.

Anyone with this motherboard/cooler had a similar issue? I reseated the cooler completely and it didn't seem to help, so I'm not really sure what to do. Almost just considering buying a 16GB DIMM to put in the one slot and returning the 2x8GB.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

tonic posted:

So I just put together my system and it's working great-- I had one major issue during my build though. I used the Cryorig M9 cooler and, for whatever reason, the cooler mounting plate seems to sit too close to one of the ram slots and blocks me from loading a DIMM in that spot.

Anyone with this motherboard/cooler had a similar issue? I reseated the cooler completely and it didn't seem to help, so I'm not really sure what to do. Almost just considering buying a 16GB DIMM to put in the one slot and returning the 2x8GB.
That's weird, one of the advertised feature of this cooler seems to be that it doesn't infringe on RAM at all, and the exclusion zone around the socket is a part of the spec.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Yeah, it could be that I don't have it properly installed still. I'll take it off again tomorrow and make sure everything is correct.

EDIT: If I can't figure it out, is there any issue with using a single DIMM over two?

tonic fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 24, 2018

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
The Corsair 250D has been discontinued. Is it likely they're releasing an update? I'm a big fan of cube cases, and would like something a bit nicer than my Core v1

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Using only a single DIMM hurts performance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture#Dual-channel_architecture

http://www.streacom.com/news-item/da2-product-announcement/
Any hot takes? Shell is single piece aluminum, some sort of wacky rail system to allow a lot of flexibility.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

Using only a single DIMM hurts performance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture#Dual-channel_architecture

http://www.streacom.com/news-item/da2-product-announcement/
Any hot takes? Shell is single piece aluminum, some sort of wacky rail system to allow a lot of flexibility.

Looks like an M1

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

My old Dan A4 computer was running loud and hot for years but now it runs like a dream. The v3 case has mounts for an AIO now, but it works well too just floating around behind the graphics card on the v1.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cP9J7P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I was looking at the GPD Win 2 the other day and saw an upcoming SFF PC, the Chuwi HiGame. It went live yesterday, and essentially it's just a variant of the Hades Canyon NUC. Like the latter, it has two CPU options out of the 5 Kaby Lake G variants, although the two on the Chuwi are slightly below the two on the NUC. The NUC is primarily a barebones although you can buy prebuilt complete systems, whereas the HiGame is being sold complete.

The problem is that even with the included RAM & SSD the Chuwi isn't really worth it over the Hades Canyon. Aside from obvious differences in I/O, size, cooling, noise, etc., if one was considering either of these systems it'd probably be worth it to just go with the NUC. The top Hades Canyon barebones is currently $900 as of this writing, and if you were to add 8 GB of RAM and a 256 GB m.2 SATA SSD like the HiGame comes with you'd end up between $1-1.1k, and the latter was $1k as a limited day 1 perk, $1.1k regularly. So even if the Chuwi has a slight edge in price as a complete system, it's probably worth the slight price premium to go with the unlocked NUC, and then on top of that you get the ability to start at $900 and go with the exact RAM you want (ideally 16 or 32 GB dual-channel) and perhaps a better [NVMe] SSD than the SATA one they're throwing in.

Also, the NUC has 2x m.2 (NVMe/SATA) slots whereas the HiGame has one of those and one 2.5" slot; the former configuration is more valuable as they're the highest-performing ports available in this kind of setup and a 2.5" SATA drive can just be connected externally via USB3 so you're not really gaining anything there.

On top of all that, however, was the realization that, unless you specifically needed a SFF desktop, in a price:performance scenario for a small gaming system the laptop that I always recommend (the Acer Predator Helios 300) is by far the best option still. The Radeon Vega M graphics options in the Kaby Lake G chips are all less powerful than the 1060 in the Helios, even if the latter's CPU is a little older. Plus, you get an SSD (SATA, but NVMe is supported) (plus an empty 2.5" bay,) 16 GB of RAM, and finally of course it comes with a display and keyboard, peripherals being an added cost with the desktops. Considering those SFF PCs are aren't any more upgradeable internally than a laptop, unless you specifically need TB3 there's no way I could recommend either of them over the Acer.