Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just carry two of the 50 water and two salted reginalds and that's enough for like an hour and a half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Podima posted:

Wow I finished the game and had no clue the still suit existed. Go figure.

It's like the one thing I haven't found. I've been scouring every wreck I can find for the plans.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it might be out in the dunes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also the wreck in the bulb zone. Not really worth it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

SugarAddict posted:

Some things I have figured out from gameplay:
The scanner room only shows stuff you've found/picked up in areas/chunks you have visited since you last loaded your game. Drop diamonds/teeth/stuff into the ocean then pick them up to add them to the things-it-can-search-for list.

ohhhhhhhhhh

goddamn this is so dumb

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Stillsuit is totally worth it. It's a free 20+ hydration every so often. It drastically increases your loiter time.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Stillsuit is totally worth it. It's a free 20+ hydration every so often. It drastically increases your loiter time.

You dont actually have to cook fish to eat em so you can stay out forever really

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 9, 2018

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

That can happen? :stonk: :psyduck: :eyepop:

Absolutely. If you grab on to a large predator you can sometimes preform a sort of slingshot maneuver that slams you into things. It's now happened twice. Today I was slung into one of the big cubes outside the active lava zone chamber thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I just pack lots of purified water. But I love plopping down advance bases. And like being able to deal with some heat or a Warper getting tetchy.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Stillsuit is in a tiny wreck on the dunes/sea treader's border right between two reaper patrols. I don't think it spawns in the smaller Bulb Zone wreck without a specific path of unlocking databoxes. It's the most obscure wreck and the most guarded for some reason.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Yoau dont actually have to cook fish to eat em so you can stay out forever really

Thermoblade also lets you cook fish in the water by knifing them.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also the wreck in the bulb zone. Not really worth it.

If you find it early it's very worth it due to the staying power you get, if you get the thermoknife you don't even have to return to base, between on demand cooked fish providing enough net water that you don't have to return to consume or really pack any food/water on trips

i went into the non-food/water mode after i beat the game mostly b/c i didn't feel it added enough to care about

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I thought they changed it so the still suit doesn't provide sustainable water anymore.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I thought they changed it so the still suit doesn't provide sustainable water anymore.

2 hardcore completions down since final release and I still haven't found the stillsuit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's +20 water, -2 food twice a day, iirc?

On another note, the Ghost Leviathan is my favourite critter and I could obviously use a new avatar. Any good pics come to mind?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

I quite like this one.

Edit: A mouth that size compared to the rest of the critter doesn't really seem big enough for a creature that feeds on filtering plankton out of the water.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 6, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I picked one I found more mysterious and evocative, though that is pretty great too.

And oddly enough you're not the first one to bring that up to me today.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
"Exploration is ill-advised." I loving love that. Makes me want to drop :10bux: to get myself a proper avatar, too.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 7, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lowtax does need the money.

Wondering if there's any Subnautica/Aquaria crossover fanart.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
You fucks aren't so spooky where you're upside down and dead, huh?!

Hey there :stonklol:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Shoot me, I started a new game with hardcore.

Things I have learned:
Glass walls above the sea do not remove integrity and I suspect integrity for things work differently as well when other things are too.
Water purifier does not work above water but it will infinitely drain power.
There is a cyclops docking bay repair module, what confuses me is that it's where the cyclops thermal conversion module data-vault should be.
If you are trying to avoid infection, bleeders can still attach to you if they are stasised and you come into touch range of them.
The reason why its worth alt +F4 if you get attached by a bleeder is that they always infect you if they managed to attach to you, and once you are infected the warpers come out to play try and murder you for the rest of the game.
Your best bet for early game ion cells and goodies are time capsules.
Certain modules/base stuff can be built/attached while you are inside another one. You cannot build up but you can build sideways to an attaching module.
gently caress reapers.
You should never need to build fire extinguishers.

Edit: walking around like a hobo without a map let me find a bunch of PDAs I missed the previous play-though.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 9, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is it possible to not get infected at all? I thought the infection automatically got worse as you did more plot stuff.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
There are a few events that automatically progress the infection to not infected(no warpers) to glowly bulbs on your hands stage (warpers want your head on a plate):
poking the on/off button at the alien cannon, and the exploration of the ruined alien research facility are the only two events that I know that force it from not-infected to full infection.

There are numerous creatures that infect you if they get a hit on you: bleeders and all crawlers are the ones that I know that infect you.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I feel like you're missing the point of hard core.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SugarAddict posted:

The reason why its worth alt +F4 if you get attached by a bleeder is that they always infect you if they managed to attach to you, and once you are infected the warpers come out to play try

If you Alt F4 in hardcore mode you are a filthy cheater. Have you no video game honor!?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Warpers can't aim for poo poo anyways.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Warpers are incredibly tame once you get used to them. Oh no, a warper teleported me right next to it for 5 damage, what do I do?!?!?! (swim away)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Warpers are incredibly tame once you get used to them. Oh no, a warper teleported me right next to it for 5 damage, what do I do?!?!?! (swim away)
At least until they teleport you outside the terrain :doh: Not exactly as common as falling through the floor/ceiling of your cyclops, but it's the big :tinfoil: when dealing with warpers.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

If you Alt F4 in hardcore mode you are a filthy cheater. Have you no video game honor!?

There is no honor is falling though the world.

And warpers are a hazard if you are fighting a reaper or moving around with the prawn. No matter what, suddenly getting teleported out your prawn while over a gaping maw of a drop and watching your pawn fall 300 meters isn't fun.

Also Levithans can and will no-clip their way through the world to get you. This makes it an extreme hazard when scanning cyclop parts around the crashed ship.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 9, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SugarAddict posted:

And warpers are a hazard if you are fighting a reaper or moving around with the prawn. No matter what, suddenly getting teleported out your prawn while over a gaping maw of a drop and watching your pawn fall 300 meters isn't fun.

That doesn't happen though, when you get warped out of the Prawn it floats

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Rutibex posted:

That's wildly incorrect. I, too have been warped out of a mid-hover prawn to watch it sink to the sea floor.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

it doesn't

but most fish you thermoknife provide +3-10 water on top of the food, which makes up for that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One time I was prawn jetting from one ledge to another when a warper grabbed me and while the prawn was over the chasm and it fell all the way down

Multiple times I got warped out of the prawn, got back in, and got warped out not even a second later

gently caress warpers

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Rutibex posted:

I definitely had this happen in my post-launch playthrough, but I assumed it was a glitch. Persisted through saves and poo poo, made Warpers fairly trivial even in the deepest zones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's what the repulsion gun is for.

Warper: "Hmm, I think you should be... Over here!"

"Well I think YOU should be over THERE!"

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's what the repulsion gun is for.

Warper: "Hmm, I think you should be... Over here!"

"Well I think YOU should be over THERE!"

The repulsor cannon is wonderful for giving you that sense of progress/becoming more powerful. There's nothing quite like punting a shark that's getting too curious for its own good clear across the loving reef.

The same with the Prawn suit. It's amazing how fast that thing has you go from 'Uh, oh, I don't know what that is but it looks scary, I better avoid it' to 'Come any closer and I swear to God I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE GODDAMNED FACE."

Edit: Who else wishes a Prawn-scale repulsor cannon was a thing?

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 10, 2018

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The Prawn is cool, but I really wish I had the choice to use the Seamoth at the same depth. I just like it more.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Are there mods for "your seamoth has prawn suit arms now" yet?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Minenfeld! posted:

The Prawn is cool, but I really wish I had the choice to use the Seamoth at the same depth. I just like it more.

Yeah if there was a mod to make the drill a hand tool and create Seamoth depth modules 4-5 with the same ingredients as the Prawn depth modules I'd use it in a heartbeat

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I just learned from the steam discussion forums that a modder is currently working on a mod to make subnautica multiplayerable.

From what I gleam from it, the people have to be in the same room because of the amount of data that has to be transmitted (creature paths and actions happening all the time), and there needs to be animations seeing what other player is doing, among other things. Probably won't be done for a year or two.

https://github.com/orgs/SubnauticaNitrox/projects/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

SugarAddict posted:

I just learned from the steam discussion forums that a modder is currently working on a mod to make subnautica multiplayerable.

I recall there already was a mod that did that. No idea how well it worked though. I bet there's more than one working on it too.