Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bussamove posted:

And the loving bathtub that I'm still waiting to somehow be plot-relevant. I want to believe.

You missed the boat on that one -- Elliot and Margot gifted it to the people of Fillory in order to force faery kind out into the open. Happened back in episode 8 or 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rhyno posted:

While the amnesia plot isn't what I was hoping for or expecting, the monster plot is fantastic.

I'm hoping they combine the two and make possession the thing that short circuits the potion. Spend 3-4 episodes righting the ship and give all the key players a chance to act out a bit. Either that, or in the interest of her being awesome, have Margo be the key thanks to her fairy eye.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mastajake posted:

Pretty lame they set up the “you’ll regret this deal” thing and then she got away with her ridiculous scheme anyway.
I assumed that was going to be a long-term thing. Like, it wasn't a trick so much as a bad deal and the people who made it were too short-sighted to realise just how bad it was, but eventually they're going to find out and regret it.

Woden posted:

What was the deal with the key paradox? It seemed like a set up where Q and crew would be bringing the second set to unchain the dude in prison but it went nowhere.
Well, they only used the keys once. After they read the book Quentin made the deal that got them let into the castle without using the keys. There was also the fact that the keys were destroyed and then they got new keys to use, so that was kind of like what happened in the book anyway.

That doesn't seem like enough though, so maybe something more will come of it later? :shrug:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought it was just a 4th wall type joke continuity errors. I was thinking the exact same thing (“wait the doors swallowed the keys…”) and then Elliott-as-us pointed it out which was met with hand waving explanations. Like the whole parsec thing in Star Wars.

Can you not? I was a major contributor to the thread on these forums a few years ago that finally put this issue to rest. The perceived notion of a continuity error is wholesale incorrect and I would strongly urge you to refer to literature on the subject prior to any more of these comparisons. Furthermore

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
season 4: foggfall

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Can you not? I was a major contributor to the thread on these forums a few years ago that finally put this issue to rest. The perceived notion of a continuity error is wholesale incorrect and I would strongly urge you to refer to literature on the subject prior to any more of these comparisons. Furthermore

You'll be hearing from my lawyer :colbert:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

In fairness to the show’s continuity, they did actually need a second set of keys.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bussamove posted:

Well that was a big fucko of an ending.

I feel like it was supposed to be a two-parter or 90 minute episode and the last 30/40 minutes got smashed into 5.

Everything was nice and smooth until that point and then the editing poo poo the bed.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I feel like it was supposed to be a two-parter or 90 minute episode and the last 30/40 minutes got smashed into 5.

Everything was nice and smooth until that point and then the editing poo poo the bed.

Yeah. After such a brilliant season, without a single bad or even mediocre episode, we end the season on an amnesia plotline.

Even worse, at least for now, they've erased the line, "We had a family." It was so powerful that not only did Eliot and Quentin spend their life together, but that they could still remember it after returning to their original timeline.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The ending would’ve been tons better if Elliot found quinton and said hey bro remember our son and your dead wife? And quinton started to immediately snap out of it. Just like Julia and her scar from season one.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
I liked that last scene. Feels like they're getting Q back into what he does best: killing gods. Tack on a fish out of water pairing with an evil childlike Hale Appleman, and I'm already disappointed that arc will inevitably only last an episode and a half until they move on to the next.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

You missed the boat on that one -- Elliot and Margot gifted it to the people of Fillory in order to force faery kind out into the open. Happened back in episode 8 or 9.

Plot relevant again, I should say. I want that goddamn tub to somehow be critical to getting magic back.

Fairy Queen Tub for high king of Fillory.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I thought it was the queen Margot masturbation tub but that’s just me.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I'd like to point out that this is the 2nd time Eliot has decided to pack heat on a magical adventure

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'd like to point out that this is the 2nd time Eliot has decided to pack heat on a magical adventure

I think it was Margo that brought the gun on the first trip to Fillory.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Knowing the ending of the books, there were some things in this episode that I suspect were written the way they were so this could have been the series finale if they didn't get renewed. That and/or they wanted to tease and reference the books for the sake of the episode.

I'm okay with Penny-23, but I suspect that Penny-40 will show up again, eventually, and probably with Hades in tow. I wonder though if we'll see any non-Greco-Roman dieties, be nice if they weren't entirely Eurocentric.

I thought the episode did some cool segments, and of course I'll be back first thing next season, but I was kind of hoping for a monster that isn't just "A guy with glowing eyes." Oh well, cable budget I guess.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I thought the episode did some cool segments, and of course I'll be back first thing next season, but I was kind of hoping for a monster that isn't just "A guy with glowing eyes." Oh well, cable budget I guess.

After this season I have hope they have something pretty solid planned and it being a child wanting to play is just something to throw everyone off.

I was worried that the finale would have been Julia's send off and Stella Maeve was leaving as what happened in the books going to find her tree on the flip side of fillory.

I would have loved to see more of Julia and Godhood, but I don't think OLU is done with Julia just yet; I think Julia will be rewarded again in some way, but she won't be OP.

Margo is really interesting at the moment just because she has a Fairy eye. I think she'll see Eliot / Quentin for who they really are and will snap out of whatever. Margo perhaps lead the charge to convince the others of danger while remembering she has a kingdom to rule.

I'm not a fan of amnesia plots by any means, but if The Magicians can pull off something similar to LOST in season 6 in bringing everyone together again would be pretty cool. I don't want it to be solved in the first episode or have to wait for the last. But if around episode 7 or 8 the band's back together, we'll be in good shape.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blind Rasputin posted:

The ending would’ve been tons better if Elliot found quinton and said hey bro remember our son and your dead wife? And quinton started to immediately snap out of it. Just like Julia and her scar from season one.

That's all that I wanted. That would have kept me from feeling so devastated in that finale.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

mastajake posted:

Pretty lame they set up the “you’ll regret this deal” thing and then she got away with her ridiculous scheme anyway. I’m sure it will be addressed later, but I thought that was kind of a lovely ending to an otherwise great season. Body jumping stuff has potential though. Lol at Julia essentially giving up goddesshood for nothing.

I saw it as her taking the long view of things. Like, she knows at least the bare bones of the syphon plan and the Libary's involvement, so if the "bad guys" win they limit magic which is in the faeries' favor, and even if it's a magic free for all there's a deal in place that says "no one can harm a fairy ever" which is a much stronger deal than the "leave a few behind on earth but you can't go after them anywhere else" deal that was annulled. Even if fairy deals were weakened greatly by one being broken, that's got to be useful, and it's notable that there's nothing in that deal's wording about fairies messing with humans.

muscles like this! posted:

Lol-ing at "Janet"

Yeah that really made me smile, such a nice and simple callback to the books.

Nihonniboku posted:

Ha! Exactly my thought! It is really interesting to see though how they're still recycling elements from the books, even if they're not used the same way.

That animation at the start of the episode was beautiful, and they must have spent a chunk of change on that.

I was more impressed by the CGI of them flying to Fillory's Upside Down, but yeah it was certainly pretty. I don't mind them making budget concessions per se, but now that it's been pointed out I would love to see fewer scenes set in the Fillory throne room and Physical dorm downstairs because now it's like all I can think about. With how this season left off it seems like I'll get my wish for awhile at least.

And I guess Dean Fogg made the deal just because he figured the library was gonna win anyway? I wish we knew more about what he was thinking there. Overall looking forward to next season, they found a fine way to keep Julia in the show and I feel like one god or another coming in to help her in particular is the most likely catalyst towards everyone getting their brains fixed, I put Margo's fairy eye as a close 2nd only because she looked at Josh and wasn't knocked out of it immediately, though she did seem thrown off for a second so it's definitely going to play a role in all this somewhere. Also looking forward to seeing possessed Elliot show off why all the gods feared that being, I'm expecting them to top the Beast singing crazy showtunes which is a high bar to beat.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Knowing the ending of the books, there were some things in this episode that I suspect were written the way they were so this could have been the series finale if they didn't get renewed. That and/or they wanted to tease and reference the books for the sake of the episode.

I mean, it's rarely a bad idea to write each season finale as an at least decent series finale when you can, especially when you're on cable. It definitely works that way with one quick shot of whatever mindwipe Elliot is up to, maybe change the Alice dialogue to suggest the thing they released is coming after the Library instead, and then Fogg does the "I'm possessed" eyeflash or something. Not an ideal ending, but a nice mix of "at least they're not dead," a sense of what the future could hold for the characters, and some implied comeuppance for the bad guys.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 6, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm completely lost on this "Janet" thing. Is it a book spoiler to explain it?

I find it kinda nuts how negatively people are reacting to the end of this season. It's like none of you were around for the end of Season 1 or Season 2 when some twist of fate completely fucks everything up. This is par for the course and I'm surprised to find myself as the only person expecting it. You had super-late-game "library wants to use this siphon thing" that the rest of the cast waves off to the point a couple of them don't even remember what it's called. You have the super-late-game "btw there's a monster in the castle and by all means it cannot escape because even the gods can't handle it" in tandem with Calypso mentioning the keys were made "for a time when humans would save the gods" like... how does it not all scream "hey, we're setting up for season 4 so prepare for things to go south at the end here." If anything, realizing that Julia's god powers were given to her specifically so she could spend them making a second set of keys seemed like genius writing to me. I always love well thought out seasons of television that let their characters get to a brink then pull them back in through smart writing. To be honest, I didn't trust that woman who took Julia away and, if anything, was surprised she didn't end up being a surprise bad guy... though I could see it maybe happening next season in a sort of stilted lover kind of way.

Anyway, I will agree that they better kill the amnesia bullshit in under 5 episodes during season 4 or it's gonna be a stinker. That said, nobody expected a season without magic to be as good as Season 3 ended up so I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt. Good luck!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

DaveKap posted:

I'm completely lost on this "Janet" thing. Is it a book spoiler to explain it?

Not a spoiler at all, just a super simple explanation. Margo's character was named Janet in the books, but to avoid having two female characters who both have J names they changed her name to Margo for the show. So yeah, a super cheap and easy shoutout to the book readers that doesn't detract or distract from the story they're writing and can be just thrown in there is always welcome in my book.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought it all made a lot of sense. They've been building up the Library as the show's big bad for a while. I'm honestly surprised it's taken them this long to pull the trigger on them.

Fogg siding them makes a lot of sense too -- it's as Alice pointed out last week, Brakebills was always about regulating the use and knowledge of magic, and they were loving pathetic at it. Fogg's previously proven himself beaten down enough to accept whatever scraps get thrown his way (e.g. selling the school to the board of trustees) and the Library is going to let him continue on doing his old job, only in a what he hopes to be a more successful, effective way.

So we've got a season coming up where both Penny and Alice have drunk the Library's kool-aid, Julia, Quentin, Margot and Kady have been temporarily neutralised, Marina and Poppy are out there waiting to take advantage of the cast again and Fenn is stuck in charge of a barely controlled Narnia while Eliott is possessed by a hedonist. I think that's honestly really exciting.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Margo's character was named Janet in the books, but to avoid having two female characters who both have J names they changed her name to Margo for the show.

3, counting Jane Chatwin.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm not crazy about the Tesla thing and bringing in versions of characters from alternate timelines... the idea of the alternate timelines itself doesn't bug me as it fits with the story they've set up from S1, but when they use it to bring characters back it feels cheap, like there are really no stakes. Penny owns but Penny-23 has cast a real pall over the latter part of the season for me.

Rocksicles posted:

wait... err... i... :3:

Elliot's fine, right? guys?

Well, it jumped into the guardian lady, who we haven't seen since. :ohdear:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Fogg siding them makes a lot of sense too -- it's as Alice pointed out last week, Brakebills was always about regulating the use and knowledge of magic, and they were loving pathetic at it. Fogg's previously proven himself beaten down enough to accept whatever scraps get thrown his way (e.g. selling the school to the board of trustees) and the Library is going to let him continue on doing his old job, only in a what he hopes to be a more successful, effective way.

I liked the nod to Fogg being an educator by having all of the Library's banal red tape down pat.

Alice is clearly being set up to become the frazzled old future-writer later we saw earlier this season, so seems like Fogg doesn't spring her.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DaveKap posted:

I find it kinda nuts how negatively people are reacting to the end of this season. It's like none of you were around for the end of Season 1 or Season 2 when some twist of fate completely fucks everything up.

Anyway, I will agree that they better kill the amnesia bullshit in under 5 episodes during season 4 or it's gonna be a stinker.

You answered your own question.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I loved the ending tbh; the crew just keeps loving everything up So bad whenever they try to fix things, and dang what a gently caress up this was. I also love what they're doing with Alice.

I'm just prepared to call the police and report Syfy for making me wait so loving goddamn long for a resolution like this isn't fair or cool and I am Upset.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Every Syfy show takes a year to come back, they're kind of like that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll just join the chorus that I didn't like that and it left me cold on the show. But it also isn't a huge surprise and I never really turned to corner from "entertaining garbage" to "great show" like many of you did so its just "eh, its sometimes garbage but its entertaining enough that I'll probably come back."

The "we need two sets of keys/the door consumed the keys" thing seemed to be resolved by Quentin using the magic Alice game him to make the deal with the jailor to open the door. They never needed to use the keys to get in so they didn't have to worry about them getting "consumed." It was all very sloppy and rushed and kind of pointless, IMO.

And wow, Kady gets cursed to deal drugs? This show really hates her.

And at this stage I kind of think OG Penny is gone and eating the cupcakes was supposed to be him accepting he's dead and New Penny joining the key link was supposed to be closure. Which is bad writing but I'm just gonna assume that until OG Penny re-emerges, if he re-emerges. That way I'm not sitting here waiting on resolution that may never come.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Q got the magic from Julia; they did need two sets of keys; Kady was buying not dealing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I meant Julia. That's my bad.

The Kady thing was just me not paying enough attention. But kinda just further emphasizes me "Why does this show hate Kady so much?" question.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SLOSifl posted:

Kady was buying not dealing.

No, she handed to drugs to the dude in the car and he gave her cash.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Heck, at first I was worried they made Kady a prostitute. It was still really malicious for no reason

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
As long as she's not getting high on her own supply it's a step up for her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mastershakeman posted:

Heck, at first I was worried they made Kady a prostitute. It was still really malicious for no reason

Do you have any idea how much money there is in drug dealing?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SLOSifl posted:

Kady was buying not dealing.

Yet again, a goon demonstrates the inability to comprehend a moving visual image. Someone should conduct a study.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

The "we need two sets of keys/the door consumed the keys" thing seemed to be resolved by Quentin using the magic Alice game him to make the deal with the jailor to open the door. They never needed to use the keys to get in so they didn't have to worry about them getting "consumed." It was all very sloppy and rushed and kind of pointless, IMO.

It's two different things though? The plot hole with the keys, as depicted in the Tale of The Seven Keys, is another hint that their quest to return magic was contrived and manipulated by an outside force. (The demon in the musical episode pretty much spelt this one out.) Because if the keys were used once before to return magic to the world, and were destroyed in the process, how do they still exist?

The thing with the keys being destroyed in this episode was just drama.

(Oh and Penny40 will totally be back. They're just sticking him on the back burner for a few episodes, because they don't have room for him right now. Shows bench characters like that all the time.)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Every Syfy show takes a year to come back, they're kind of like that.

Illegal. This is a gross misuse of my attention span and lots of TV is garbage also and I want more sex wizard angst nowwww

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Whalley posted:

sex wizard angst

The Magicians: Sex Wizard Angst

Please mods. Please.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Nihonniboku posted:

You answered your own question.
Except I didn't. The thing is, the amnesia ending is still a good ending. The only bad part about it is the expectation that it will somehow make the beginning of Season 4 bad. We haven't seen the beginning of Season 4, so we don't know if it's bad. The ending of Season 3, though, is good. Take into account what I said after that (benefit of the doubt because we though beginning of Season 2 would be bad) and, well, we have no reason to expect the beginning of Season 4 to be bad. Hell, take into account how fun alternate universe characters were and, if anything, the start of Season 4 should be amazing.

So... my actual conclusion is that the ending of Season 3 is really good and Season 4 should be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Rhyno posted:

No, she handed to drugs to the dude in the car and he gave her cash.

Ah thanks, and my bad for correcting someone with wrong info. I saw the car pull away and, yeah, that makes sense.

Julia looked to be killing it at least.

edit: Julia became my favorite by the end. Maybe she can regrow her spark.

mycomancy posted:

Yet again, a goon demonstrates the inability to comprehend a moving visual image. Someone should conduct a study.
I have never watched and episode of this show sober, and am pretty sure I’ve failed in every post, so basically if there is a paying study please let me know. I’m fine with nudity if that is a condition. If not please check if nudity is allowed.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 7, 2018