Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I've never understood how invader matchmaking works in this game. I'll be wombling along, SL50 or whatever in the first quarter of the game, and I'll get invaded by people with maxed out boss soul weapons and end game armor. Isn't the whole soul count thing that everyone hates supposed to prevent that kind of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They could be cheating but it's more likely that they used the agape ring for most of the game to carefully limit how many souls they got, and then spent them exactly upgrading the poo poo they need to go back and roll over weaker players

Even with everything dark souls 2 did to prevent it, people will find a way

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

That's why I think 3's method of just limiting on levels and upgrades, and not having armor upgrades was actually pretty great. You still get people transferring over overpowered late game gear to their level 20 guys that invade the first couple areas with the +3 rings or the prisoner's chain or the splitleaf greatsword or a full count of max-upgrade flasks but it's not entirely impossible to win.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I started going through the Crown of the Old Iron King DLC, and it seems pretty tough. Is it possible that I'm underleveled or something? I had a hell of a time trying to get part those axe-wielding guys in that room with the flame-ball-thing until I found a ledge I could land on at the edge of the room, and lured them out one-by-one with projectiles. They seem to set up ambushes with those guys, and they pack them in with those big club wielding guys.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I guess you might be underleveled, but generally the DLCs are just much harder than the base game. Enemies have more HP, resist ranged attacks and some of the encounter designs are just plain mean.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

I guess you might be underleveled, but generally the DLCs are just much harder than the base game. Enemies have more HP, resist ranged attacks and some of the encounter designs are just plain mean.

I've actually had to resort to chipping away at enemies with ranged attack just to make sure I could get through without dying, but even then, they're usually set up in a way where trying to cheese them like that is difficult, if not impossible. I'll say that I'm at SL127, so I don't know if that would be considered underleveled or not.

I was sort of expecting the DLC areas to be harder, but mean is a good way of putting it. There's more than a few places where they'll place the axe guys, so you'll retreat away and end up getting ambushed by more who pop out of the ground. I can't imagine what the bosses are like.

At the moment, I'm considering just dropping the idea of completing each DLC area and going to Drangelic Castle to finish the game (though it looks like there's a few more areas after Drangelic Castle). However, I want to at least check out each DLC area to see what it's like, and I have the goal of getting all the pieces of the Catarina armor set.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I have over 200 hours in Dark Souls 2, and I've only bothered to complete all 3 DLCs in one playthrough once. The ice one isn't so bad, I've done that 5 or 6 times, but the fire and poison ones I found so obnoxious that once was enough. I might try them on this current playthrough, we'll have to see how much my patience will hold...

In other news, it turns out that all the Rats in the Grave of Saints are hollow, meaning you can mass nuke them using Soul Appease :getin:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

I've actually had to resort to chipping away at enemies with ranged attack just to make sure I could get through without dying, but even then, they're usually set up in a way where trying to cheese them like that is difficult, if not impossible. I'll say that I'm at SL127, so I don't know if that would be considered underleveled or not.

I'm at SL121, and I'm just about to clear Bright Cove Tseoldora so I can head to the castle. I reckon you could easily add another 20SL to that before you need to do the DLC, there's quite a chunk of the normal game after the castle left to be done.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Max Wilco posted:

At the moment, I'm considering just dropping the idea of completing each DLC area and going to Drangelic Castle to finish the game (though it looks like there's a few more areas after Drangelic Castle). However, I want to at least check out each DLC area to see what it's like, and I have the goal of getting all the pieces of the Catarina armor set.

If you haven't been to Drangleic Castle yet, you're not ready for the DLCs. The DLC areas are balanced around an endgame character, and you have a large chunk of the game left.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

I'm at SL121, and I'm just about to clear Bright Cove Tseoldora so I can head to the castle. I reckon you could easily add another 20SL to that before you need to do the DLC, there's quite a chunk of the normal game after the castle left to be done.

King of Solomon posted:

If you haven't been to Drangleic Castle yet, you're not ready for the DLCs. The DLC areas are balanced around an endgame character, and you have a large chunk of the game left.

I sort of figured I was under-leveled, but I wasn't sure. I sometimes get the impression that in the Soulsbourne levels/stats don't always make much of a difference, and you just have to learn patterns, approaches, and whatnot in order to win. Obviously, that's not the case, but I'm always surprised to hear that people have beaten the game at SL1. It also seems like it's impossibler, you can't really overlevel yourself to be nigh-invulnerable and just tank hits all through the fight.

I'll go through Drangelic and try and gain some more levels, though I still don't see myself completing the DLC. I was watching a video ranking the difficulty of the bosses, and the ones you face off with in the DLC sound pretty hard (fighting an even stronger version of the Smelter Demon sounds like a nightmare :gonk:).

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I sort of figured I was under-leveled, but I wasn't sure. I sometimes get the impression that in the Soulsbourne levels/stats don't always make much of a difference, and you just have to learn patterns, approaches, and whatnot in order to win. Obviously, that's not the case, but I'm always surprised to hear that people have beaten the game at SL1. It also seems like it's impossibler, you can't really overlevel yourself to be nigh-invulnerable and just tank hits all through the fight.

I'll go through Drangelic and try and gain some more levels, though I still don't see myself completing the DLC. I was watching a video ranking the difficulty of the bosses, and the ones you face off with in the DLC sound pretty hard (fighting an even stronger version of the Smelter Demon sounds like a nightmare :gonk:).

Skip the co-op areas, or whatever they are called. Regardless of what anyone will tell you, they are not fun. The vast majority of the DLC stuff is fantastic.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

The DLC bosses are definitely harder than the base game's, but are also the best designed and most fun part of the entire game. As someone who also has issues with DS2's sadistic encounter design I'd say it really is worth powering through them at least once to experience some of the best boss fights in the franchise.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

Skip the co-op areas, or whatever they are called. Regardless of what anyone will tell you, they are not fun. The vast majority of the DLC stuff is fantastic.

Co-op areas?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Max Wilco posted:

Co-op areas?

There are areas in the DLC where you can summon people who don't actually own the DLC (this isn't exactly relevant to SotFS, since that's built-in, but in vanilla this was true.) These areas are marked by those statues you see outside the DLC gates, and are called co-op areas, since they're designed to be played in co-op.

The areas in question are the Cave of the Dead, Iron Passage, Frigid Outskirts, and technically the Memory of the Old Iron King. You should absolutely do that last one, though; just run past the enemies, the boss of that area is amazing.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Co-op areas?

There is one area in each DLC that has the tombstone looking constructions matching the ones in the entrance. If you placed your summon sign in the entrance, people can summon you at the matching tombstones in the DLC proper. These areas were supposedly designed with co-op in mind, so they tend to be jam packed with enemies and have tougher bosses / multiple enemy bosses.

EDIT: Beaten!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I really like the word drangleic it just rolls off the tongue and also sounds irish

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Drangleic is a great name, yeah. Majula is also quite evocative.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Can we revive this thread to talk about how bad the Frigid Outskirts are?

I flat-out skipped it in my first playthrough, but I'm determined to do it this time around. I think I've figured out that if I summon a bunch of phantoms then it's not too hard to get to the boss. Those reindeer just suck so drat much.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The boss sucks aswell. Didn't get enough of the previous one? Get twice of it.

The best thing I've done in there is to summon two phantoms to do the zone and dismiss one of them before the bossfight so even if it's a boss hp buff, I can kill one while the other is distracted. I'd only do it if you really want to get that boss soul for the weapon, otherwise skip it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Honestly the boss isn't even that bad, like it's sorta dumb that it's two clones of the area's first boss but the most annoying thing about it is the absolutely preposterous runback. Popping a brightbug and any other buff items right before starting the fight helps a ton, though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Malsgrein posted:

Can we revive this thread to talk about how bad the Frigid Outskirts are?
All the DLCs' coop areas sucked, but Frigid Outskirts definitely was the worst.
I never understood what From was thinking there. Making an area where non-DLC owners can be summoned into and let them experience some of the DLC was a neat idea. But if my only exposure to the DLCs was attempting Jolly Cooperation in Cave of the Dead, Iron Passage & Frigid Outskirts I'm not sure I would have bought them.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

That's why I think 3's method of just limiting on levels and upgrades, and not having armor upgrades was actually pretty great. You still get people transferring over overpowered late game gear to their level 20 guys that invade the first couple areas with the +3 rings or the prisoner's chain or the splitleaf greatsword or a full count of max-upgrade flasks but it's not entirely impossible to win.

I had to ditch the Agape Ring and level up around 500,000 souls to start seeing people online v:shobon:v

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I recently platted DeS and thought I'd start playing DaS2 again and slowly work towards platting it too

gently caress this game is huge, I don't even know where to start. I'm going back and forth between starting a fresh playthrough or continuing with my guy that's already killed every boss in NG

Also not having an infinite seller of Twinkling loving blows

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

My save got wiped a while back and I thought "I'll just do a quick playthrough to get back to where I was". I'm just finishing up the DLCs and it's easily been 40 hours, and that's playing the game quickly for a second time. This game is massive.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah, my first playthrough without any DLC was 75 hours. Granted, it was also my first-ever Souls game so that's longer than average anyway, but still. I don't recall off the top of my head how long my first Scholar playthrough was but obviously it's gonna be long since the base game plus DLC is just fuckin gigantic.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My first playthrough of DS2 was the scholar version on PC and went completely blind. I clocked 100h with all the DLCs. Next run took 40. DS2 is huge.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Also I will definitely be starting a new character because I took my current guy into NG+ and promptly realized that I did things such as setting Things Betwixt bonfire intensity to 30

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I got over my hatred of the Frigid Outskirts. They're bad, but not that bad.

You just have to summon a few phantoms to get to the boss. If you've got a good player with you, keep them for the boss. If you've only got NPC phantoms, dismiss them all and solo the boss. I beat Lud and Zallen on my third try this way. Though I did have at least one pathetic attempt where I got wiped out very quickly.

Santier's Spear and the stone ring can effectively stunlock the reindeer and let the phantoms get a bunch of hits in.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The best solution to the reindeer is to get a lot of repair powder, an old knights hammer, and the stone ring. This gives you enough poise damage to flatten a reindeer with the 2hand r2. Just give them a second to get halfway to their feet and slam them again and again until they are dead. There are other options, but that's what I used for my sl1 run. I smashed them 1 at a time over and over until they stopped spawning entirely.

It was wonderful.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
IME if you have Scholar then you can just summon all three NPCs and both the area and the bosses will be a cakewalk. Maybe bring some healing miracles/warmth to keep things topped off, and stop by the healing springs partway through.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Digirat posted:

They could be cheating but it's more likely that they used the agape ring for most of the game to carefully limit how many souls they got, and then spent them exactly upgrading the poo poo they need to go back and roll over weaker players

Even with everything dark souls 2 did to prevent it, people will find a way

some people do that, some people make a beeline to the agape ring and then fight their way up through the iron keep to brume tower so they can get a minotaur helm and co-op in FoFG as a big fat bull

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Djeser posted:

some people do that, some people make a beeline to the agape ring and then fight their way up through the iron keep to brume tower so they can get a minotaur helm and co-op in FoFG as a big fat bull

One of my coop builds did this with a smelter hammer. Only got enough souls to level str up enough to 2hand it

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Been replaying this game because I lost my DS3 save and replayed that, got tricked into replaying DS1 when some friends kept talking about it, and then noticed my SotFS save was also missing.

Went full sorcery build because I'm pretty sure I never did that in this game. It made Iron Keep and the ninja foggy forest hippies really difficult as they'd just dash under or through most of my spells to beat my face in.

Also, Steam connectivity died 70-80 minutes ago and the DS2 online connection went down with it. However Steam was back up within a few minutes while DS2 is still stuck in offline mode.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
If you want to do the DLC, I'd recommend trying to get the moonlight great sword, which is a great weapon that scales with your intelligence. Trying to do the DLC using only magic spells would be painful, since all the enemies there take half damage from magic projectiles (magic melee damage from things like Magic Weapon doesn't seem to be affected).

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Too late. I finished the main bosses of Ivory King (with NPC summons) and am up to Fume Knight on Iron King.

Though I've had to R2 most of the riff-raff with my Black Witch+10 since it pumps out consistent damage while, just like you said, spells are a joke in Ivory and Sunken.

In classic fashion, I had Fume down to 1-2 hits from death and he did that AoE/spiral-balls attack. I haven't fought him in a few years now so I forgot how it worked and died. Still working to overcome that faux pas.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

trying out the halberd 2h and i kinda hate it, are there faster 2h polearms? the moveset seems weird coming from swrods

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are you landing the sweet spot hitbox

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Maybe? Damage feels fine it's just the slow moves that are throwing me off

e especially the windup on the heavy attack

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah the thing with halberds is you have to be hitting with the actual blade of the weapon to do full damage, and that can take some getting used to. The heavy attack does have a long windup, so that's why it's better to use it as a follow-up to a light attack, which can stagger most small enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah you gotta be conscious of spacing