Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I get that, but imagine going back to a game you haven’t played before that came out before (roughly) standardized controls, or camera control being manageable. It’s rough. A remaster or something to bring a classic up to modern standards would be helpful.

God, now that I think of it, camera issues used to be a major thing in games but I can’t think of the last time someone bitched about a game’s camera.

Bloodborne's camera has hosed me multiple times. I get that's because I'm locked on a boss, but they should've done something about that if you're including this mechanic in the game.

Not me, but I've heard people complaining about Revengeance camera making it really hard to S a stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Samuringa posted:

While the men at Platinum are unrepentantly lecherous, at the end of the day the Bayonetta designs were made by a woman. With the exception of the glasses and a few instructions, everything else came from her

There are some blog posts from before the game was released where she posts some of her notes

Designing Bayonetta

Designing Jeanne

Designing Rodin & Enzo

Designing Luka

High Fashion Sketch Enzo owns.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Bloodborne's camera has hosed me multiple times. I get that's because I'm locked on a boss, but they should've done something about that if you're including this mechanic in the game.

Not me, but I've heard people complaining about Revengeance camera making it really hard to S a stage.

Maybe I'm imagining things because the dark souls camera is so bad, but I thought the camera in bloodborne was pretty good.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The real problem of game cameras is that there are only two states: invisible or "what the gently caress, game."

Nier Automata had a really great camera for like 90% of its runtime and the sidescrolling/zeldacam transition was mostly bloody perfect but the forest and the castle are both solid contenders for the most forehead-slappy "well how was I supposed to even fuckin' see that" in recent gaming memory.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Go back and play Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time. Or any early 3-D Playstation stuff. Go and remember what a bad camera is like. Then you may return here, enlightened.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mario 64 was fine. I don't like how a lot of modern cameras just have your character's back take up 2/3 of the screen, the Batman games are just one increasingly long zoom into his flat rear end

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Mario 64 was fine. I don't like how a lot of modern cameras just have your character's back take up 2/3 of the screen, the Batman games are just one increasingly long zoom into his flat rear end
Mario 64 was definitely the best camera of its time, but there are plenty of places it doesn't keep up with you, like the sliding sections in the snow level near the start.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I actually really love that close behind the back camera view, and modern gaming has rewarded me aplomb.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lately I've seen more cameras defaulting to being positioned directly behind the back pointing straight forward, so your character obscures whats immediately in front of you. You can still tilt the camera down slightly so you can see where you're going but if you let your finger off the stick it drifts back down to this useless position. Now I'm wondering if maybe I'm the weird one for preferring the camera be a bit higher and pointed at the ground in front of you so I can see where I'm going.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Agent355 posted:

Lately I've seen more cameras defaulting to being positioned directly behind the back pointing straight forward, so your character obscures whats immediately in front of you. You can still tilt the camera down slightly so you can see where you're going but if you let your finger off the stick it drifts back down to this useless position. Now I'm wondering if maybe I'm the weird one for preferring the camera be a bit higher and pointed at the ground in front of you so I can see where I'm going.

I find this super noticeable in open world GTA style games, mainly in vehicles. If I'm driving fast I always have to manually tilt the camera to see whats coming up. Drives me up the wall.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Part of me wonders if the reason the cameras default to "your character blocks half the screen" is because the higher ups want you to see the textures that they had their artists and programmers spend months on (and however much money) lovingly rendering in super high definition. Look at the texture of your characters clothing. Count the individual fibers. Look at it. LOOK AT IT! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WE SPENT WORKING ON THESE TEXTURES? LOVE THEM!

Coincidentally, I prefer playing in first person mode whenever I can because that way I can see what the gently caress is in front of me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's a deliberate artistic choice that often coincides with the type of game you're trying to create. If your game features a central protagonist that evolves over the course of the story (TW3, Horizon, Uncharted, etc.) then an intimate third-person camera perspective helps to build empathy with that character over time. Seeing their reactions to events in the game world, getting hurt, their idiosyncracies, along with all the cool stuff they do in combat naturally makes your brain identify with them more. It's no mistake that games built around a charismatic lead all tend to have this third-person view.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Coincidentally, I usually can never tell where the gently caress I'm supposed to go in those types of games because they blew all their cash on Nathan Drake's realistic individual eyebrow hairs and forgot to put some "GO OVER HERE" level design in.

Good level design should flow pretty naturally and that's being ignored in a lot of modern stuff and it bugs me is what I'm saying.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I had a different kind of camera problem in Seven: The Days Long Gone, it's third person but the camera is almost directly on top of you, looking down. You can move the camera left & right, but you can't tilt it down so that you can see a bit more of what's in front of you. It's a stealth game, I kinda want to see if there's a guard at the top of the stairs or not.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
That reminded me about games like Horizon where for instance ledges you can reach are marked in some way, and a joke I saw about it in Awkward Zombie (it's actually the latest comic at the moment), and actually... I think it would be pretty cool if you could somehow interact with your surroundings to make them passable by simply giving them those 'passable/interactable/whateverable' signifier (ie in this case Aloy paints a ledge yellow and so can suddenly climb it when she couldn't before).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jukebox Hero posted:

Coincidentally, I usually can never tell where the gently caress I'm supposed to go in those types of games because they blew all their cash on Nathan Drake's realistic individual eyebrow hairs and forgot to put some "GO OVER HERE" level design in.

Good level design should flow pretty naturally and that's being ignored in a lot of modern stuff and it bugs me is what I'm saying.

I don't really have much trouble with the camera in The Witcher or Horizon but the Uncharted series is constantly full of these guess jumps where you're not sure if that 5-foot drop is going to land harmlessly or send Nate careening down the cliffside to his death. And it happens in EVERY single installment, such that you wonder who playtests these games and never points out that hey, it seems like players should be able to make this jump.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Go back and play Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time. Or any early 3-D Playstation stuff. Go and remember what a bad camera is like. Then you may return here, enlightened.

Yeah, I was thinking of the days when fifty percent of the reviews in EGM had the staff going “WHAT THE gently caress, CAMERA!”

A bad camera now is usually annoying. In early 3D games, the camera was usually one of your greatest enemies. I ragequit more over camera shenanigans than actual difficulty.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That reminded me about games like Horizon where for instance ledges you can reach are marked in some way, and a joke I saw about it in Awkward Zombie (it's actually the latest comic at the moment), and actually... I think it would be pretty cool if you could somehow interact with your surroundings to make them passable by simply giving them those 'passable/interactable/whateverable' signifier (ie in this case Aloy paints a ledge yellow and so can suddenly climb it when she couldn't before).

Problem is that having to hunt around for those drat ledges, and how poorly the colors stand out in certain landscapes. In many areas (the less-populated areas) the markings are white, and very hard to see, leading to lots of jumping impotently against a wall trying to find that one near-invisible handhold.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Problem is that having to hunt around for those drat ledges, and how poorly the colors stand out in certain landscapes. In many areas (the less-populated areas) the markings are white, and very hard to see, leading to lots of jumping impotently against a wall trying to find that one near-invisible handhold.

It doesn't have to be ledges. Say there's a big monster skulking around in an area full of barrels. All of them are brown. So you paint them red somehow, and suddenly they're explosive and can help with fighting the monster!

e: or you run into a recolor of an early monster, and this version is really super tough, so you spray it with the previous monster's colors and suddenly it's only as strong as that earlier monster was

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I see you also read Awkward Zombie.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

And I see you also post on the Something Awful Forums.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

marshmallow creep posted:

I see you don't read posts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, that was my biggest problem with the game too. Well that and Aloy having the mass of a bowling ball and if you jump from a ledge she'll lose 60 health. I'm already terrible with directions, I don't need more help with that!

Also, I never had issues getting lost in Uncharted personally, but to each their own.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RareAcumen posted:

Also, I never had issues getting lost in Uncharted personally, but to each their own.

Because Uncharted is perfectly linear ?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

food court bailiff posted:

I see you don't read posts.

Who has time!?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Ni No Kuni 2 is fantastic in basically every way, except for Lofty. Holy poo poo does Lofty have the most obnoxious accent in both writing and voice acting. He also sucks as a character. Also there's an upgrade I can get so he gives me more blue balls and that's just terrible.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kruller posted:

Ni No Kuni 2 is fantastic in basically every way, except for Lofty. Holy poo poo does Lofty have the most obnoxious accent in both writing and voice acting. He also sucks as a character. Also there's an upgrade I can get so he gives me more blue balls and that's just terrible.

I love Lofty, but only when he's not actually participating, because then he's just in the corner of the screen while characters are talking, with the dumbest loving looks on his face and it's hilarious.

Also yes I thought the same thing when I saw that Blue Balls research.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Morpheus posted:

I love Lofty, but only when he's not actually participating, because then he's just in the corner of the screen while characters are talking, with the dumbest loving looks on his face and it's hilarious.

Also yes I thought the same thing when I saw that Blue Balls research.

When he's silent, he's fantastic because he has the dumbest face. Any time he makes noise is awful.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lofty looks like a 5 year old drew Lisa Simpson and now you can never unsee that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FactsAreUseless posted:

Mario 64 was definitely the best camera of its time, but there are plenty of places it doesn't keep up with you, like the sliding sections in the snow level near the start.

The first Tomb Raider on PS1 before the analogue controllers came out :negative:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bloodborne’s camera is awful

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I'm not lazy but gently caress you if you think i'm going to buy an entire system to protect the integrity of a videogame story. There's a lot more to life than having to play every videogame in an entire series in hopes that it manages to tell a coherent story, and choosing to not play videogames and do those things is the direct opposite of laziness. Almost every other plot thread in the game is self-contained, thats what a good editor does, so it's fair to expect that to happen on every level. Also, metal gear is the longest running unrebooted videogame franchise that has ever been, going all the way back to the NES era, so it's insane not to expect some concessions towards the average gamer for plot coherency.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Well, that came out of nowhere

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Olaf The Stout posted:

I'm not lazy but gently caress you if you think i'm going to buy an entire system to protect the integrity of a videogame story. There's a lot more to life than having to play every videogame in an entire series in hopes that it manages to tell a coherent story, and choosing to not play videogames and do those things is the direct opposite of laziness. Almost every other plot thread in the game is self-contained, thats what a good editor does, so it's fair to expect that to happen on every level. Also, metal gear is the longest running unrebooted videogame franchise that has ever been, going all the way back to the NES era, so it's insane not to expect some concessions towards the average gamer for plot coherency.

Counterpoint: gently caress you for jumping into a long-running series and complaining it doesn't explain every detail from everything that's ever happened. If you're not interested in the story, go play something else. If you are, it's very easy to go back and play previous titles.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

Olaf The Stout posted:

I agree, gently caress Kingdom Hearts!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

Who are you arguing with?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nobody was saying you had to buy the system, just that your claims of "bloo bloo bloo it's impossible to play this game that is still available to buy brand new for under forty bucks and available used for multiple systems in every clearance bin in a GameStop ever" were really dumb. You didn't need to like, prove how dumb you are.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Just watch a lets play of the older games in a series if you don't want to jump back and play them or can't find them for sale?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Complaining about the fifth game in a series having plot points that only make sense if you're familiar with the rest of the series is pretty lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Olaf The Stout posted:

oh no! this game makes no sense even though i jumped in at the end of a game that's notoriously unfinished and incomplete in a game series that might possiby be the most convoluted and mental game series in all of history :allears:

Do you read the end of a book then complain that it made no sense?

edit : sorry it sounds like i'm jumping on you,but you are definitely a spadge.