Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baronjutter posted:

I still don't know if that's real or the Times Colonist's april fools joke.
I've seen what a single panicked seagull can do to a room its suddenly realized it doesn't know how to get out of though so that part rings true.

The hotel PR people have confirmed it via long time staff lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I refuse to believe it's possible for Lethbridge to have suburbs

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Well, I mean, half the population lives in those two seemingly tiny yellow/orange spots on the map. Calgary has 1.2 million in its metro area, Edmonton has 1.1 million, and the third largest city, at 98,000, is Red Deer, and the whole province is around 4 million (up from 3.65 in 2011)

I'd guess that anything resembling a "city", like Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, etc, are majority "climate change exists and needs dealing with", too, they're just too small to light up their spots on the map, given that it seems to be based on voting districts.

Maybe we could go with "gently caress half of Alberta"? I mean, that's what a lot of us Albertans say.

gently caress rural Alberta. And gently caress The Rural Alberta Advantage, while we're at it. Waiting Up There For Your song to end, more like it.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

infernal machines posted:

I refuse to believe it's possible for Lethbridge to have suburbs

If they're anything like the "suburbs" of other smaller Alberta cities, then they're really just communities that spring up outside city limits to take advantage of the County's lower taxes. (while still expecting full municipal services from the city)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Franks Happy Place posted:

The hotel PR people have confirmed it via long time staff lore.

Right, so says an article posted on april 1st. But on the other hand the TC has pretty much zero writing talent so I don't they could afford to have someone spend the time to type up the story rather than copypaste from another source.

My seagull story isn't as dramatic but it's still pretty good. This house had a sun-room with a bunch of big doors that could open up and turn it into more of an outdoor space. They had a bunch of food and snacks set up for a nice summer BBQ party and decided to use the sunroom for condiments and buns and all that. They had most of the doors closed as well as the door between the sun room and the rest of the house. There was a worry they didn't have enough propane so the husband goes out to get another tank while wife and friends decide to chill out in the kitchen which is on the opposite side of the house to the sun room. They eventually hear what they think is someone knocking on the sun room door but arrive to find no one. Art has been pull off the walls, an antique standing lamp has been tipped over and smashed. Porcelain figures and all sorts of knickknacks are broken on the floor. They thought some burgles or lovely teens had gotten in and smashed the place up but then they noticed the seagull poo poo all over the place as well as some feathers. No believed a single seagull could have caused so much damage in such a short amount of time.

Also none of the food was missing. It must have gotten in and flipped out before it could even eat.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

My seagull story

A cat hanging around can help reduce birds getting in yer stuff. Just need to make sure you trust the cat to not get into the food.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Does anybody know of any good left-wing organizations that could use volunteers in Winnipeg? I have tons of free time at the moment and everything Pallister does makes me want to punch a wall. I was thinking of signing up with the NDP but their last federal election campaign sucked so hard that I reconsidered.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Your provincial NDP is not run by the same people as the federal NDP.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the Conservative party is now openly collaborating with Jefferson Beauregard "NAACP Is An Anti-American Commie Pinko Organization Out To Get White People" Sessions in their desperate attempt to kill the cannabis bill

libs are just as bad as tories durr i am very smatr :jerkbag:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 5, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hey look, the Star wrote something not-lovely about campus free speech!

Choice excerpt:

quote:

The free speech erosion bogeyman, then, becomes the elite equivalent of the “It’s OK to be white” posters. It frames identity-based intolerance in innocuous or righteous terms that anybody can get on board with. In reality it’s code for affirming the status quo or pushing back against resistance. It allows opposition to certain topics to be framed as opposition to the concept, in this case free speech.

This, although, there is no unfettered free speech in society, legally or literally. We may speak freely but we are all constrained by context, by relationships, by decorum, by responsibility. In this newspaper, for instance, we don’t carry photos with dead bodies even though there’s no legal censorship of it.

Are school campuses obliged to host those who spout intolerance, and further legitimize their views? Could I read a few rubbish books on computer science and expect to give a lecture on Artificial Intelligence at Waterloo University?

Free speech may give us the right to falsely attribute the phrase, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,” to Voltaire. But it doesn’t protect us from being corrected that not Voltaire, but Beatrice Evelyn Hall, wrote those words about him in an autobiography.

Free speech assures us of the right to repeat the original erroneous statement, but not the right to demand it be debated, nor the right to a university platform or space in a newspaper.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Blisster posted:

Does anybody know of any good left-wing organizations that could use volunteers in Winnipeg? I have tons of free time at the moment and everything Pallister does makes me want to punch a wall. I was thinking of signing up with the NDP but their last federal election campaign sucked so hard that I reconsidered.

Pallister also makes me want to punch a wall. We have so much in common let’s be friends.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Blisster posted:

The Manitoba NDP and Federal NDP are pretty different entities. Based on what's going on right now the NDP have the best shot at beating Pallister in the next election, but the MB Liberals may get some boost in the upcoming By-Election in St. Boniface(Greg Selingers former riding) if their new leader can pull of a win. I'm not sure what kind of volunteer work either party is looking for 2 years before an election, probably just bugging people for money I guess.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Hungry Computer posted:

If they're anything like the "suburbs" of other smaller Alberta cities, then they're really just communities that spring up outside city limits to take advantage of the County's lower taxes. (while still expecting full municipal services from the city)

Yeah, I really should have written "suburb" rather than suburb, I was even thinking "well, it's not really close enough that you'd typically get the 'burbs popping up, but it's that weird Alberta thing there tiny ramshackle communities form around cities to leech off them while paying lower taxes", but for simplicity's sake...my bad.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Blisster posted:

I've heard and seen nothing but good things from the Bear Clan Patrol in the city. Extremely inclusive, tons of community engagement, and from the sound of things they're really making an impact on the community, especially when it comes to engaging with vulnerable street people.

If you want to help the less priviliged get around the city, the community bike co-ops are gearing up to be extremely busy now that the snow is melting.

Siloam mission usually needs people. If you check with them they probably have roles that need filling.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I still don't know if that's real or the Times Colonist's april fools joke.
I've seen what a single panicked seagull can do to a room its suddenly realized it doesn't know how to get out of though so that part rings true.

It's real. I actually know the guy in real life.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

THC posted:

the Conservative party is now openly collaborating with Jefferson Beauregard "NAACP Is An Anti-American Commie Pinko Organization Out To Get White People" Sessions in their desperate attempt to kill the cannabis bill

libs are just as bad as tories durr i am very smatr :jerkbag:

" "Faced with the Liberals' empty answers and broken record, we had to seek concrete and real facts right at the source.""

loving lol. To the people in this thread saying the Libs and Cons are the same party, come defend this poo poo.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
They aren’t the same party but they’re both garbage and working for the same interests.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

only one of them is working for a white supremacist death cult but ok

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

M.McFly posted:

" "Faced with the Liberals' empty answers and broken record, we had to seek concrete and real facts right at the source.""

loving lol. To the people in this thread saying the Libs and Cons are the same party, come defend this poo poo.

Bill Blair, Liberal extraordinaire

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

THC posted:

only one of them is working for a white supremacist death cult but ok

You know cowofwar means business interests.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
This is a fun and easy way to discover that your relatives, bosses or co-workers donated to the erin o'toole leadership campaign

http://special.nationalpost.com/follow-the-money/database

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

It's funny, I was digging up an article written by a prof in the G&M about the free speech issue where he refutes a lot of the common criticisms about university campuses today and goes into a lot of the institutional politics at universities that are anything but radical. I was vague in my search so it picked up all the articles in the G&M about this issue in the past year. That op-ed was the only one critical of the campus free speech narrative. In comparison there was sixteen articles claiming that campuses were being overrun with illiberal, tyrannical students and faculty.

I keep see-sawing on this narrative. I haven't been involved in academia for a few years, and I'm told things took a drastic turn after 2015 at a number of campuses where things really heated up politically. But then again I was at Concordia -- it's not an exaggeration to say that people were always protesting something every day -- and there had been massive student protests in Quebec before student protesting was seen as some form of creeping illiberalism. Because I'm not in that environment anymore it's hard to get a gauge on how much pressure there is on academics to tow the left-leaning line and I have to at least consider that it's a possibility. But given how hard this narrative has been pushed by the media and some public intellectuals, and the fact that this same narrative about radicalism in universities occurs every 10-20 years again and again from the 1950s onwards, means I return to the feeling that way too much ink is being spilled on something that isn't a problem.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 6, 2018

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

Argas posted:

You know cowofwar means business interests.

Even there, the Liberals are the party of Bay Street. With the finance minister running a bay street firm. The conservatives are the party of resource extraction and angry outsiders like used car sales people.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/tory-senators-talk-pot-legalization-with-jeff-sessions-in-d-c-1.3871239

I can’t believe we are going to trigger a constitutional crisis over pot

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

folytopo posted:

Even there, the Liberals are the party of Bay Street. With the finance minister running a bay street firm. The conservatives are the party of resource extraction and angry outsiders like used car sales people.

I think it's fair to say that both are parties of maintaining or worsening inequalities.

And unfortunately the NDP still needs to work on not just being orange Liberals in some aspects.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You guys can not be surprised that a shitload of Canadians don't believe in climate change, dull-eyed satisfaction with the status quo and an unwillingness to entertain the notion that anything might be wrong or need changing is like our entire national character. I bet you half the people who know that climate change is real also think that it's a good thing for Canada and that we'll be able to grow tropical fruit on the 5 inches or so of lovely useless soil covering the Canadian shield.

Even if the Conservatives are worse than the Liberals, it's hard to really give a poo poo which of them is in power when the Liberals are so loving awful anyways. I certainly don't think anyone still has any confidence in Canada to take meaningful action either way, we just had almost a decade of Conservative rule and we ended up doing nothing more than replacing them with conservatives. If all the Liberal Party has to do to stay in power is just be 10% better than the Conservatives, then it's hard to give a poo poo either way, especially when the NDP show no signs of getting any better and many signs of getting worse indefinitely.

The trap of being stuck with an eternal conservative government kept in power by the threat of a Conservative government along with the lack of any real will to make a positive change makes caring about Canadian politics ultimately kinda pointless.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 6, 2018

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This is a fun and easy way to discover that your relatives, bosses or co-workers donated to the erin o'toole leadership campaign

So far nothing surprising from my searches, but the quest continues

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I accidentally doxxed everyone in the thread by seeing who donated to the Marxist-Leninist Party. Sorry everyone. But I'd like to give a shout out to Comrade Champoux and Comrade Greig for donating $2,000 each.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 25, 2018

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Blisster posted:

I wholeheartedly believe that if you care about progressive politics or whatever, you should not volunteer for a political party, but instead volunteer for an organization that does meaningful work in an issue area. A Tenant's Union, anti-poverty organization, whatever. There are better ways to spend your time than dealing with the shitshow that is electoral politics.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

thehoodie posted:

I wholeheartedly believe that if you care about progressive politics or whatever, you should not volunteer for a political party, but instead volunteer for an organization that does meaningful work in an issue area. A Tenant's Union, anti-poverty organization, whatever. There are better ways to spend your time than dealing with the shitshow that is electoral politics.

Yeah, like previous posters mentioned volunteer at Bear Clan Patrol or Winnipeg Harvest or even the Salvation Army. Not the loving NDP. If you care about Left wing politics it’s best to get involved at a grassroots level rather than supporting a garbage neo-liberal political party

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Those 30% of people don’t even know what climate change is.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

A Typical Goon posted:

If you care about Left wing politics it’s best to get involved at a grassroots level rather than supporting a garbage neo-liberal political party

How can the party change without new blood and new ideas?

I get that local volunteering is more rewarding in terms of direct impact on the community. Changing policies and regulations can affect a whole lot more people, but yeah it takes forever with politicians more worried about a constant stream of donor money than the the future of Canadians.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

M.McFly posted:

How can you compare heart disease to cancer, one is obviously worse than the other!

Oh wait, they are both poo poo. Yes one is more poo poo, but they are both poo poo.

Especially the ontario libs.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

patonthebach posted:

How can you compare heart disease to cancer, one is obviously worse than the other!

Oh wait, they are both poo poo. Yes one is more poo poo, but they are both poo poo.

Especially the ontario libs.

The Ontario Liberals are less poo poo than the federal ones, tyvm. They actually throw in some good policies that help people and keep some promises while they sell us out with neoliberal privatization bullshit. The Federal Liberals just say they'll do good stuff but always after the next election - they're too busy trying to build pipelines and sell weapons to dictators to get those promises done in this decade.

The Federal Liberals also had a mandate to enact electoral reform that would prevent any chance of a future Conservative majority, and they decided that nah, we are cool with letting the Cons get their turn. So much for "anyone but conservatives". A vote for the Liberals is a vote for the Conservatives, plain and simple.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bill Blair, Liberal extraordinaire

I told yall he'd gently caress it up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Lol the Calgary city council has banned public consumption of marijuana, because they're morons. My (good) councillor was one of the only people to point out how loving stupid it is, and how it basically fucks over renters and tourists and will inevitably be used to hassle minorities and other marginalized people. Druh Farrell and Nenshi, my arch-nemeses of municipal politics, both supported this stupid bylaw because they are stupid and bad.

Why is our country this way? Why does it matter to anyone if people burn a wee bit of plant matter while walking down the street or sitting in a park?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

You nailed it earlier in your post: Legalization of weed removes a pretty well-worn excuse for harassing young people, vismins and Indigenous people. Something's gotta fill that void.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
PS This is why there very clearly is a war other than class war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I can't speak to Calgary, but in Toronto they did something similar because it basically matched our existing public smoking/drinking bylaws. They treat pot as both, of course.