Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically you pay money to get more in-game fancy currency (one out of the zillion 'credits' that actually matters) that you can use to buy keys to get random stuff out of the lockboxes the game showers you with at every opportunity. It's like those coin-operated turn-the-crank machines that dispense capsules containing random, generally crap toys, except with pixels, and drat near every game has them now because it's not gambling if you can't get real money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
If you like any character on Bewitched besides Endora then go to heck right away!!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like that crazy Aunt that shows up sometimes

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Is there someone seriously posting on Something Awful Dot Com, Senile Grandfather of the Internet, in Tee Why Oh Oh El Two Thousand And Eighteen who doesn't know what a software patch is?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think they're wondering why a game needs 22GB one day then half that the next and takes all day to update itself.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It probably has to have initial patches from the original install, and then just luck off the draw a new patch hit the next day

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

FilthyImp posted:

Im getting Orson Welles wine commercial vibes from that poo poo and it is amazing.

Those vibes are extremely my vibes

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm still thinking of what the real abilities should be on any self aware star trek card game game.

Kirk and Riker obviously have some sort of sex appeal ability.

Q has his deus ex machina ability which just let's him do whatever is convenient.

Beverly Crusher heals people but also needs a sex candle ability.

Playing the Neelix card automatically makes you lose the game.

Garak needs some sneaky ability like a trap card or make your opponent play a card.

Dukat let's you win the game obviously. Or maybe an "Attention Bajoran workers!" ability.

Chakotay has the "fail to make them fire you ability"

Geordi and Harry Kim have the opposite of whatever Kirk and Riker's abilities are.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

is there a re-skin so that i can make counter-strike looks like star trek????

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

O'Brien lets you skip your turn

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Space Camp fuckup posted:

O'Brien lets you skip your turn

Kieko's ability only triggers if O'Brien is in play, it removes O'Brien from the table.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

is there a re-skin so that i can make counter-strike looks like star trek????

You can play Voyager: Elite Forces. It uses the Quake III engine and I think the multiplayer deathmatch still has a following. Other than that I've heard a lot of roleplayers use it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Best part of that game is vaporizing Janeway with the portable photon torpedo launcher.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MA-Horus posted:

Best part of that game is vaporizing Janeway with the portable photon torpedo launcher.
I think you're confusing that with the Seska_notavirus.Update DLC for "Lieutenant Tuvok's Voyager Insurgency Simulator"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

so many old star trek PC ive missed :stare:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Can you actually buy that again now or is it still :filez: only due to licensing nightmares?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Clark Nova posted:

Can you actually buy that again now or is it still :filez: only due to licensing nightmares?
Do you think any royalties from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Fallen would trickle down to Michael Dorn?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I’m fuckin lazy and poo poo on steam/gog generally Just Works™

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
https://youtu.be/JwZiezIxCVU

it's like voyager is some kind of... bad show!

mycomancy posted:

Is there someone seriously posting on Something Awful Dot Com, Senile Grandfather of the Internet, in Tee Why Oh Oh El Two Thousand And Eighteen who doesn't know what a software patch is?

yes :(

Clark Nova posted:

I think they're wondering why a game needs 22GB one day then half that the next and takes all day to update itself.

this too, though. ive deduced that the Patch things are like, new game content that gets released based on what I've read onlinr, and presumably after d/ling the big 22 kellicam isoquad gigabyte patch the first time I played it, which was all the current content as of that day, I had the misfortune of having another patch released the next day that had to be downloaded before I could play again.

presumably it doesn't need to download a dozen or so gigs every time I want to play, that would be insane and I can't picture anyone playing a game that required hours of downloading before it could be started, every single time you want to run it. the download speed is pitiful though, and it's really dumb that you can't download the new patch whilst playing the stuff you already have downloaded

Gatekeeper fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 6, 2018

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Gatekeeper posted:

it's like voyager is some kind of... bad show!
impossible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAVFOVgwBrY

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
I found some cool older trek games online too, I was trying to play the 25th anniversary game but for the life of me I can't figure out how to fight this romulan ship. I can see on the lil radar screen thing where it is and when it's coming at me, I know how to raise Shields and power weapons and I think I'm firing the phasers correctly, but I spent like 20-30 minutes trying to shoot down this romulan ship and I'm positive I was doing something wrong, the stupid thing just kept flying at me, I'd try to keep it onscreen and shoot it but nothing would really happen.

it's embarrassing too because this game is like ancient as hell and it's still too complicated for me :(

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Nah dude, old games can be pretty hard because you didn't get tutorials, tool tips, and there was like zero standardization of controls. Totally shouldn't feel bad.

I gave up on that game after 10 minutes because I just don't have the patience for old stuff much anymore

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
The two best Star Trek games were Elite Force for letting you vaporize the crew of the Voyager or the TNG Adventure game where I never got past the first level because the alien probe kept shooting Geordi in the face.

The actual best game though is Armada 2. The shows should have gone all out with borg sticking 8 cubes together into fusion cubes and poo poo.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Being a Borg drone seems pretty cool I mean you get told what to do and probably only one thing at a time instead of having your boss text you on your phone asking you if you saw the email she just sent you and why haven't you responded yet, constantly.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
And you're like "Hey, I'm still working on the last thing you emailed me about while I'm home with the flu, back off."

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

gonna munch some ketchup chibs and watch some ENT

im on the first doctor central episode

:munch:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gatekeeper I want to play star trek bridge crew with you.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Gatekeeper I want to play star trek bridge crew with you.

I dled that game but haven't tried it out yet, is it cool?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

When it comes to oldskool adventure games I think it's cool to check out poo poo from good ol' gamefaqs, some of the stuff is deliberately obtuse to act as a form of copy protection ie. you have to have the manual to make any sense of things. Also in some games (Sierra Online, gently caress you) puzzles are deliberately a bit random and insta-deathy to encourage buing hint books and calling expensive hintlines before the Interwebs made both instantly redundant.

The 25th Anniversary Game has some fun missions and feels like a series of really tight TOS episodes. It even lets you think of multiple solutions to puzzles while keeping track of how Trekky your way of going about things is. Punches and genocide: bad, logic and empathy: good and so on, it's fun and holds up well, I think!

e: poo poo didn't notice the page had changed, oh well

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 6, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still like the idea of the Mirror Borg being peaceful and strictly voluntary.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
One of the best star trek games ever is Stellaris with with Star Trek conversion mod.

I dare anyone to play that and not immediately play as the Cardassians and enslave Bajor.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

For more real time strategy shenanigans, I think Sins of A Solar Empire and maybe the new Homeworld remasters have Trek mods too.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Kitchner posted:

I'm still thinking of what the real abilities should be on any self aware star trek card game game.

Kirk and Riker obviously have some sort of sex appeal ability.

Q has his deus ex machina ability which just let's him do whatever is convenient.

Beverly Crusher heals people but also needs a sex candle ability.

Playing the Neelix card automatically makes you lose the game.

Garak needs some sneaky ability like a trap card or make your opponent play a card.

Dukat let's you win the game obviously. Or maybe an "Attention Bajoran workers!" ability.

Chakotay has the "fail to make them fire you ability"

Geordi and Harry Kim have the opposite of whatever Kirk and Riker's abilities are.

Hey, don't lump Harry in with Geordi. We know Harry got laid at least once because he got that space STD from getting pegged by the alien lady

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
people need to stop kinkshaming Harry. you think Riker hasn't taken it up the rear end? Riker is the king of rear end, giving or receiving.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
yeah Riker eats rear end

Kitchner posted:

One of the best star trek games ever is Stellaris with with Star Trek conversion mod.

I dare anyone to play that and not immediately play as the Cardassians and enslave Bajor.

YES. I like it better than vanilla Stellaris, frankly.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Kitchner posted:

I tried that out this weekend, it’s extremely cool

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Does that give special events or something?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

You're actually all wrong because the best Trek game was Bridge Commander

I'd play that game today with an updated texture pack.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I played Starfleet Academy on the SNES. Was kinda weird. One of the few SNES games with 3D graphics. (certainly wasn't Star Fox level)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Starfleet Academy was great. I rented it so many times. The last level is the Kobayashi Maru which of course is unwinnable (you can put a cheat code in before starting the game to make it winnable)