Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Also tonight I learned that Sami Sosa went white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Veskit posted:

It's ok, he's black-ish again.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Veskit posted:

What did he have them look up?

e: How long was this episode supposed to be, 41 minutes right?

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 6, 2018

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

What did he have them look up?

"Sammy Sosa hat"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hahaha I just had the same reaction they did

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Just don't eat em, drat!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I was convinced that Teddy was playing a prank on Darius the entire time and there was no brother right up until the end. Awesome episode, if a little depressing.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I thought this was one of the worst episodes so far, but I have to admit the intercom voice recorder thing was hilarious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought this episode was so well done I didn’t even think about how it was going to be divisive

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Even given the broad spectrum of what Atlanta can be from week to week, it didn't feel very much like an Atlanta episode, but whatever it was it was very well done.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also the U Mad hat was very good

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Oof

https://twitter.com/twitersgoodboy/status/982291037317033987

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Jesus

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That was a strange episode, but I still enjoyed it. I really like how each episode goes in completely different directions and you can't nail it down to a single "This is Atlanta." The only thing that really remains constant is the main characters.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Atlanta does whiteface. I liked it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pussy Quipped posted:

Atlanta does whiteface. I liked it.

It was freaking me out from the start even before things actually started getting freaky. I was also surprised by the end but as soon as the other guy came out of the elevator you knew poo poo was super hosed up for real.

This pretty much describes it:

Fat Albert in a can posted:

It's like Michael Jackson had a child with the uncanny valley.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

At least Atlanta Horror Story was creepy.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I loved Darius walking into a Southern Gothic horror.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This......is probably the best show ever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I laughed my rear end off at the softboiled ostrich egg. I don't even know if that would work without like... sous viding it or something. I have no clue; ive never made ostrich eggs

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This is the best show on TV.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

so teddy was benny and “benny” was benny’s father right

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

sudo rm -rf posted:

Think you might be reading a bit too much into it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I don't know, I've been wondering about that too. It's a little strange that we never actually get a picture or old movie of Teddy and Benny together and it makes a sort of sense.

Although I might have just been on the Atlanta subreddit for too long. There are people there treating it like Lost. Not necessarily wrong, just a little surprising to see.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

sudo rm -rf posted:

Hard to say for sure but I'm sure as hell wondering who Teddy was, if he wasn't Benny. Just some other guy who also happened to undergo skin bleaching?

Your idea does make sense of things I guess.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Teddy Perkins needs his own Better Call Saul

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

My takeaway was that Teddy idolized his father, and after he died he started abusing Benny like his father did. That, or he just got tired of taking care of him and decided to beat him to death at the piano as evidenced by the blood on the keys. He was going to blame the beating on Darius, hence the line about the fire poker making it look like a home invasion, but was surprised to see Benny was alive when he came out of the elevator.

Or

spudsbuckley posted:

Think you might be reading a bit too much into it.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
The barbershop episode was one of the best if not the best of the entire show. I haven't rewatched season 1 since it aired though.

The Teddy episode was another episode of the show.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Seems like a real stupid reach.

That Darius didn't have his hands up during that photo was an allusion to some film, but I couldn't immediately place it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Seems like a real stupid reach.
It's an incredible reach. But people see what they wanna see.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm not sure that any reading of who was who is appropriate. It's a self contained story, and it's not about who is michael jackson and who stole whose identity. It's a little story about people and how their lives effect them.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

It is what it is.

Good writing doesn't need a bunch of retarded fan theories and "well actually, what they meant was........" around it.

You've failed once that poo poo starts creeping in. It adds absolutely nothing and if you encourage it you are just a bad, lazy writer because a billion other dipshits have done that bit before.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I want that Benny hope shirt from the gift shop

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Oh my gosh, Donglover stayed in character the whole loving time they were on set.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/atlanta-donald-glover-teddy-perkins-backstory.html

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Grem posted:

Oh my gosh, Donglover stayed in character the whole loving time they were on set.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/atlanta-donald-glover-teddy-perkins-backstory.html

He had to have been having an amazing time doing that. Can you imagine a comedian playing that role, especially off camera, and not cracking up at some point?

e: Not because the role itself is funny, but the reaction of people to such a freakish character, especially people you know who might not recognize you.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 9, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That is hilarious and probably fun

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

RandomBlue posted:

e: Not because the role itself is funny, but the reaction of people to such a freakish character, especially people you know who might not recognize you.

Not emptyquoting, because even if you're not a method actor, that poo poo has to be your goal to do at least once in your acting life.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

lol wow I had zero idea that was Glover

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I have no idea what this show even is anymore.

Not that I'm complaining. Carry on Donald, I'll watch. The last two episodes are just great to spend time with Darius and Paper Boi, fleshing out the characters more. I mean you could go the traditional route and have them hang out solo with our supposed main character but hell, why not do some intensely weird poo poo with it (or have one get a hair cut).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Possibly related. I don't care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfogZiV2YHk

• Locked thread