Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've been forgetting to put it on my end slate, whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm pretty sure that episode featured the first "on screen" real time morph without morphing sequence. Possibly even of sentai. I'm no sentai expert though. I just recall a podcast a long time ago saying that might be the first one. Maybe Burkions

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gee, I wonder who this "Buldont" is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
idgi

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Buldont is the name of Prince Sprocket's counterpart in Ohranger, I assume they just left it in the footage from this particular Zeo episode.

Speaking of Sentai, Shout Factory will be releasing Timeranger on DVD on July 31.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Lizard Wizard posted:

How similar was the premise?

"When Buldont (Prince Sprocket) decides to steal humans to make a movie showing humanity the errors of their ways, the Ohranger pursue in order to get them back."

Ranger Snatchers seems to avoid the hostage situation entirely based on your abridged episode with only the Rangers being kidnapped.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I think Bandai didn't allow them to

Yeah, Bandai's contract explicitly forbade them from skipping a season, so their solution was half Goseiger and half Gokaiger. After Megaforce, Saban renegotiated and they can now skip seasons (or at least skip under the condition they go back later if Go-Busters is any indication).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Tbf, working in a skip clause was basically their hand being forced by ToQger

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finally finished Dino Charge. My main complaints about the second half of the season were actually addressed in the last six episodes, and the things I thought would happen totally didn't happen and other, better things happened. Really good season!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I thought the rumour was that they were forced to skip GoBusters by Bandai because the toyline struggled in Japan, despite the toys being way more suited to a Western audience, and that's why they're going back to it, because Hasbro are cool with making versions of those?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sockser posted:

Tbf, working in a skip clause was basically their hand being forced by ToQger

Given how much they did to Megaranger and Gingaman, it's kind of sad they'd rather just skip things than try to build new ones out of whole cloth. Not that the current crew shows much inspiration (in fact it's precisely the problem), but there was a time when they'd approach something that required more than a simple translation and refilming with gusto.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
On that topic here is a chart of what percent of each season was original footage

there's a link to the guy who did it and an ep by ep breakdown here

https://twitter.com/Martian_Ranger/status/849305817467584512

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
loving lol, Megaforce was so bad.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Beast Morphers is going to be like 98%.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Are they counting Zyu2 as original footage or Sentai footage? It is original footage, produced specifically for Power Rangers, but specifically made by the sentai production company and they weren't basing it off Saban scripts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Are they counting Zyu2 as original footage or Sentai footage? It is original footage, produced specifically for Power Rangers, but specifically made by the sentai production company and they weren't basing it off Saban scripts.

They have to count it as Sentai footage, otherwise season 1's ratio would SKY ROCKET since there's basically no real Sentai footage from episode 41 on

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Episode 16(or maybe 15, I forget) of Dino Super Charge has to be one of the craziest episodes of Power Rangers I've ever seen.

It starts with a man being sad that nobody likes his malfunctioning robot caveman, then becomes a zombie apocalypse, then the power rangers fight and defeat the current big bad of the season - an evil statue of liberty, then the big bad from two big bads ago shows up and kills said big bad and his henchmen, while the second big bad splits into two people, one of which joins the original big bad and the other of which remembers his tragic backstory so he can begin a face turn.

The rangers, oblivious to this, celebrate by joining the robot caveman's new aerobics class.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is that the one where evil Society for Creative Anachronism steampunk guy goes good, or where evil Chaotoc Evil Eagle is actually a Lawful Good
Condor?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wait, what?! Why would you not give them scripts to go off? At the very least you can make the situation work in your favour! :psyduck:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, what?! Why would you not give them scripts to go off? At the very least you can make the situation work in your favour! :psyduck:

There were some ideas Saban used that they implemented, like pink being friends with yellow (who was no longer obviously a guy) and linked to green (who was fuckin ded at the end of Zyu), and blue being a bit of a geek.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah they gave them broad character strokes but Toei just made the stuff as if they were making their own show and it was more or less the same process for Saban of getting the footage and then saying "well hmm what the gently caress do we do with this"

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah they gave them broad character strokes but Toei just made the stuff as if they were making their own show and it was more or less the same process for Saban of getting the footage and then saying "well hmm what the gently caress do we do with this"

I feel like the franchise is really at its best when they say “Thanks for the suits and footage!” and just kinda do their own thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everyone says Ninja Steel is really bad but I've watched the first three episodes so far and it seems fine. Definitely probably aims a little younger than the average season in terms of complexity and characterization so far but it's completely passable. It's definitely grabbed my kid's attention moreso than other series he's watched.

I don't understand this fuckin zord set though. A wolf, a ninja man, a dragon, a dump truck, and a train?

Also I find it kind of an interesting and novel dynamic that they don't really have a mentor or anyone who already know about this stuff and are kind of just figuring it out on their own.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

In Ninninger, the mecha are designed after things each of the squad likes. Kasumi is an engineer or something, she gets a train. Cloud is studying literally at a British magic school, he gets a European dragon.

Takaharu is such a loving dork about ninjas, he gets a gigantic robot ninja.

E: I'm burning up!!d :ninja:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I guess that's basically how it's working here.

Preston loves magic and gets a puff the magic dragon, yellow guy likes working on cars and gets a truck, pink likes speed and gets a train, white likes wolf and get wolf, and red like Ninja and get Ninja.

Middle aged Boom basically said a couple episodes later their desires would manifest when they use the steel

Aaaaaaaaaaand this episode has a side plot of the comic relief bullies trying desperately to fart their way out of a web, causing it to inflate and float them away. It's incredibly stupid and juvenile but I kind of like how brazen it is.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 7, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh, is it a wolf in Ninja Steel? It's a bichon frissé in Ninninger.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Everyone says Ninja Steel is really bad but I've watched the first three episodes so far and it seems fine. Definitely probably aims a little younger than the average season in terms of complexity and characterization so far but it's completely passable. It's definitely grabbed my kid's attention moreso than other series he's watched.

I don't understand this fuckin zord set though. A wolf, a ninja man, a dragon, a dump truck, and a train?

Also I find it kind of an interesting and novel dynamic that they don't really have a mentor or anyone who already know about this stuff and are kind of just figuring it out on their own.

I think Ninja Steel just suffers from coming after Dino Charge, which a lot of people loved as the first unambiguously good season since RPM. Also yeah, that it's more low-brow is a bit of a turn off.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like they got a memo from Nick that said "This is a kids network! Put in more farts!" Cause I noticed there seemed to be more fart and body humor in the last few episodes of Dino Charge as well.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh, is it a wolf in Ninja Steel? It's a bichon frissé in Ninninger.

She owns a Husky (or something?) and calls her zord the Kodiak Zord. There are no rules.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cause the husky's name is Kody

Also the White ranger and yellow ranger just start the show as an already together couple. No crushes or forlorn loves, they just happen to already be together.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Aaaaaaaaaaand this episode has a side plot of the comic relief bullies trying desperately to fart their way out of a web, causing it to inflate and float them away. It's incredibly stupid and juvenile but I kind of like how brazen it is.
When this episode aired, I called it the stupidest thing I have ever seen in any episode of Power Rangers.

Keep in mind how many episodes that means. That’s pretty close to 400 episodes, of some of the dumbest poo poo. I watched all of Turbo. I watched MMPR during the year of Al Bundy Zedd talking about Big Time Space Wrestling. I watched Stitch Witchery and Trouble By The Slice last night, and I still stand by this. The ranger pizza sequence of all things loses the Stupid Crown to two normal regular-rear end guys farting to fly around.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 8, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really like this idiot and I think I know why.

He's G rated Dennis Reynolds. He's practically screaming every episode "Peak? I haven't even begun to peak!". When he came out in the Disco costume in episode six it clicked "Oh he's Dennis Reynolds"

Also Kody is a severely good dogge

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The tire zord from Ohranger is the worst zord in all of Sentai and all of Toku

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sockser posted:

The tire zord from Ohranger is the worst zord in all of Sentai and all of Toku

Not in a world where the Zenith Carrierzord exists only in the 15 seconds of stock footage required to launch the actual megazord that will fight and then disappear until next week.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Not in a world where the Zenith Carrierzord exists only in the 15 seconds of stock footage required to launch the actual megazord that will fight and then disappear until next week.

That zord was so weird. It's just a barely recognizable shark that opens up and barf up some zord parts.
Was the sentai also like that?
I don't think it was even destroyed in the climax was it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Darth TNT posted:

That zord was so weird. It's just a barely recognizable shark that opens up and barf up some zord parts.
Was the sentai also like that?
I don't think it was even destroyed in the climax was it?

As far as I can tell it mostly exists in the original Sentai as a reference to a similar carrier in one of the 80's series(I think Sun Vulcan but I'm not completely sure)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

To be fair you could say the same thing for Artillatron (the Phantom Ranger's "Zord" in Turbo/Carranger), it basically exists just to house the Rescue Zords and provide an extra set of guns for the Megazord.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What about that long arm zord in Time Force that all it does is push stuff through the gate

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What about that long arm zord in Time Force that all it does is push stuff through the gate

That one at least got a chance to fight in one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh it did? What, like in the finale?