Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
While I am enjoying Saga. I'm currently in Volume 6 and the series is starting to seem a bit "edgelordy".

Thanks. I'll pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where should I start JSA at?

Also I’ve only read Watchmen by Alan Moore are any of his other stuff good

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Empress Brosephine posted:

Lots of it is great, some of it is a bit :pedo:

From Hell is a masterpiece though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you're going straight to Johns, read the Justice Society Returns miniseries before the ongoing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Justice_Society_Returns
I think it's at the start of the omnibus.

Get into Starman first too, if you haven't.

e: re: moore: Swamp Thing, mate.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 22, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks all

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Where should I start JSA at?

Everything that was made into a movie is way better than the movie. Swamp Thing, Supreme, Top Ten are all excellent too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Idk if it's still in print but that DC Stories by Alan Moore trade had some fun bits in it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Everything that was made into a movie is way better than the movie. Swamp Thing, Supreme, Top Ten are all excellent too.

Top Ten, Supreme, and Judgment Day (Alan Moore's courtroom drama starring Rob Liefeld's Extreme Studios/Awesome Entertainment characters) are among my favorite Moore works.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Skip Neonomicon unless you want 30 or so pages of fishman rape.

Top 10 is one of my favorite comics, but skip the post-Moore issues.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I noticed Comixology has a sale on the recent Howard The Duck trades but it only has three volumes? Did it get canceled in a hurry or something? And I going to be disappointed if I buy or did they manage to conclude it in a fun way?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It concluded fine and it's very good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought the last arc was pretty funny but I can't tell you why cuz that'd spoil it

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
If I wanted to get started with the Hulk but don’t particularly like the verbose Stan Lee writing style from the 60s, what’s a recommended starting point? Malntlo? David?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Hopeless Savages by Jen Van Meter any good?

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Whats going on in the marvel universe right now? I dipped out around after secret wars was all wrapped up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They're relaunching in a few months. Jason Aaron Avengers, Ta-Nehisi Coates Captain America, Fantastic Four are coming back in a Dan Slott comic, etc.
Anything else specific?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Teenage Fansub posted:

They're relaunching AGAIN in a few months.

FTFY

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

Kinda just ment in general, what are the "big things" I aught to know before jumping in? (character deaths, new events.etc). Planning on starting up with the legacy run onwards.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The biggest thing on right now is Lady Thor going out to be replaced by Regular Thor for the next series, but you should go back and read all of that. Jason Aaron's Thor has been one big story for the last five or so years.

Pick up the Marvel Legacy one shot from last year as a primer for the next Avengers run and the return of Wolverine.

Wolverine is getting a back to life one-shot that splits into four miniseries and finally into a mystery ongoing.

Donny Cates has a Death of the Inhumans miniseries coming up. There was an excellent Black Bolt series that just finished. Read that if you wanna start caring about those guys.

Avengers is weekly right now for a story called No Surrender. The big thing there has been a character called Voyager being retconned into Avengers history as a founding member and the Hulk coming back to life after dying in Civil War 2 (the upcoming Hulk series has some zombie horror type element to it, which sounds neat.) That'll wrap the current Avengers runs before Aaron comes on.

The thing they'd like you to think of as the big event coming up is Infinity Wars (and there's a countdown series now,) but it's really break-out from Guardians of the Galaxy, so I think interest is a little low key.
If you'd be into a Mike Allred designed Adam Warlock who looks like Madman, he's in there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 6, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Are they relaunching Amazing Spider-Man again? I was going to keep it as one of my series where I get floppies, but if they're relaunching I'm going digital.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/28/marvel-spider-man-nick-spencer-ryan-ottley/

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

The biggest thing on right now is Lady Thor going out to be replaced by Regular Thor for the next series, but you should go back and read all of that. Jason Aaron's Thor has been one big story for the last five or so years.

Pick up the Marvel Legacy one shot from last year as a primer for the next Avengers run and the return of Wolverine.

Wolverine is getting a back to life one-shot that splits into four miniseries and finally into a mystery ongoing.

Donny Cates has a Death of the Inhumans miniseries coming up. There was an excellent Black Bolt series that just finished. Read that if you wanna start caring about those guys.

Avengers is weekly right now for a story called No Surrender. The big thing there has been a character called Voyager being retconned into Avengers history as a founding member and the Hulk coming back to life after dying in Civil War 2 (the upcoming Hulk series has some zombie horror type element to it, which sounds neat.) That'll wrap the current Avengers runs before Aaron comes on.

The thing they'd like you to think of as the big event coming up is Infinity Wars (and there's a countdown series now,) but it's really break-out from Guardians of the Galaxy, so I think interest is a little low key.
If you'd be into a Mike Allred designed Adam Warlock who looks like Madman, he's in there.

Sweet, most of those series sound great. cheers for the breakdown.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

god dammit.

lol is anything keeping it's originally numbering?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

pubic works project posted:

god dammit.

lol is anything keeping it's originally numbering?

Some stuff is going to dual numbering isn't it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pubic works project posted:

Are they relaunching Amazing Spider-Man again? I was going to keep it as one of my series where I get floppies, but if they're relaunching I'm going digital.

Your bigger concern should be Nick Spencer is writing.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Your bigger concern should be Nick Spencer is writing.

He did write Superior Foes. I understand that Secret Empire was a steaming pile of garbage, but let's not pretend that he hasn't done anything worth while.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jedi posted:

He did write Superior Foes. I understand that Secret Empire was a steaming pile of garbage, but let's not pretend that he hasn't done anything worth while.

I loved Superior Foes, and Ant-Man and The Fix are good too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jedi posted:

He hasn't done anything worthwhile.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Cool. Then we don’t have to hear you talk about it.

Ant Man and Superior Foes we’re both really fun. I’m hoping for the best because I’m not a grumpy hate reader reading just to complain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hadji murad posted:

Cool. Then we don’t have to hear you talk about it.

Ant Man and Superior Foes we’re both really fun. I’m hoping for the best because I’m not a grumpy hate reader reading just to complain.

I'm sorry that I disagree with your terrible, terrible taste in comics, but I assure you that I don't read books "just to complain". I do occasionally buy books that turn out to be dog poo poo by mistake, though. Like Nick Spencer's books.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jedi posted:

Superior foes is kind of mediocre but even if you like it that’s one thing and there are multiple other things that are bad. Like his Ultimate X-men or Morning glories. I can’t understand still giving him a chance on things that cost money at this point.

Basically anything with an actual plot.

Plus he is a trash person.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry that I disagree with your terrible, terrible taste in comics, but I assure you that I don't read books "just to complain". I do occasionally buy books that turn out to be dog poo poo by mistake, though. Like Nick Spencer's books.

It seems like if you stopped repeatedly buying comic books that you found bad everyone would be better off.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Superior foes is kind of mediocre but even if you like it that’s one thing and there are multiple other things that are bad. Like his Ultimate X-men or Morning glories. I can’t understand still giving him a chance on things that cost money at this point.

Basically anything with an actual plot.

Plus he is a trash person.

There are multiple things he's written that are good and there are multiple things that he's written that are bad. It's almost like every other writer on the planet.

He is a trash person, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jedi posted:

There are multiple things he's written that are good and there are multiple things that he's written that are bad. It's almost like every other writer on the planet.

He is a trash person, though.

There are? His best work seems to be really mediocre.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

hadji murad posted:

It seems like if you stopped repeatedly buying comic books that you found bad everyone would be better off.

If only everybody could buy good things 100% of the time like you

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

There are? His best work seems to be really mediocre.

It's as if different people like different things. There's people still buying Spawn, after all.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Roth posted:

If only everybody could buy good things 100% of the time like you

I buy bad things all the time I just don’t complain about it for years and don’t post about how bad future books I have no intention of reading will be.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's fair to complain that a creator you don't like is on a book you would otherwise want to read. I won't buy anything with Greg Land on art, which has meant not reading stuff by writers I really like. Similarly, I've been really enjoying Bendis's take on Iron Man, and Slott taking over is a huge disappointment to me.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

I won't buy anything with Greg Land on art, which has meant not reading stuff by writers I really like.

I am the opposite. For me, I'm willing to forgive terrible art if the story is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

hadji murad posted:

I buy bad things all the time I just don’t complain about it for years and don’t post about how bad future books I have no intention of reading will be.

Good for you? Like why should we care?