Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

People who cry in all for one should be banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Janna is definitely for cowards...... cowards who want to be High Ranked. I don’t think any champion routinely stands as far away from the opposing champions as Janna. Perhaps Lux, Ziggs, or Soraka.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
About a dozen games so far this year and not a single person has accused me of buying my account. This community disappoints me

The only person to get mad at me (in a way) was a mid Kindred who got dumpstered and asked, “what is this mmr” (he was silver v, the rest of my team was silver/bronze, and the enemies were gold, which is the highest rank possible in League of Legends)

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Changes to Vi next patch in an attempt to make her a viable (haha) top laner

https://twitter.com/RiotAugust/status/981340320322404352

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

d0grent posted:

https://twitter.com/RiotAugust/status/981340320322404352

It's always a great result when you start out with literal impossible goals.

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Riot has finally raised the club member limit to 100, bless their souls. GOON is open again, so if you want your precious tag add Teehee Tartlocks or Gromp Hellscream in-game and send a PM

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

d0grent posted:

If nothing else it's somewhat novel that Riot is trying to add a lane role to a jungler. Most of their attempts to curate roles in the meta take the form of players figuring out how to play a champion outside of their deliberately defined role, and Riot rolling up with sirens blaring to put a stop to that poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

when will they make lee sin support viable

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

JerryLee posted:

If nothing else it's somewhat novel that Riot is trying to add a lane role to a jungler. Most of their attempts to curate roles in the meta take the form of players figuring out how to play a champion outside of their deliberately defined role, and Riot rolling up with sirens blaring to put a stop to that poo poo.

This is usually good. Heroes being played off role tend the be degenerate.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Hey

Karthus is pretty good right now.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i play this

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

It's always a great result when you start out with literal impossible goals.

It's not that impossible. Vi's two big problems in lane are that she has trouble harassing enemy laners when they're away from the wave (since she's dependent on E for ranged damage), and that the cooldown on Q early is so agonizingly long, and the mana cost so needlessly punishing, that you put yourself at a serious disadvantage when trying to bluff with it (and you have to bluff with it if you ever want a gank to go off successfully). She's also got a weird trading pattern compared to most other melee toplaners, since she has no real method of retreating after a successful trade (which isn't a problem for Camille, Jax, Renekton, Fiora, etc.) due to a lack of soft CC, a disengage dash, or any kind of speed boost.

If I wanted to make her viable in lane, I'd do one or more of the following:
  • Make E deal more damage if the empowered auto kills its primary target.
  • Make W give a short burst of speed on proc.
  • Give W an active component with a long-ish cooldown that makes your next E or Q slow the target for a brief period of time.
  • Give her passive a (poorly scaling) base value and make it linger for longer so that she can go in, trade, and retreat without taking as much damage.

JerryLee posted:

They've started making active moves to support champions in multiple roles, with the Morg/Zyra changes a few patches back being their first explicit attempt. Lux and Vi are their next test cases, and they're good choices for different reasons (Lux is already played frequently - if unsuccessfully - as a support; Vi was originally designed as a toplaner, and no one plays her, anyways).

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

when will they make lee sin support viable

its already viable mother fucker. strap on your blindfold and dragon kick some rear end

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just a thought, but what if they made vi's q a stationary charge up ability that did damage and stunned in an aoe in front of her, to give her more disruption in a teamfight, made her w a shield that dealt damage after a short time with a passive that gave her permanent max health when nearby minions died, to make her tankier, made her e knockback a minion in a line dealing damage to anyone it hit, to make her able to poke in lane, and made her ult a long range charge/skillshot to help her get back into lane and initiate teamfights. thoughts?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Breaks my heart that karthus gets huge buffs after I go cold turkey.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

just a thought, but what if they made vi's q a stationary charge up ability that did damage and stunned in an aoe in front of her, to give her more disruption in a teamfight, made her w a shield that dealt damage after a short time with a passive that gave her permanent max health when nearby minions died, to make her tankier, made her e knockback a minion in a line dealing damage to anyone it hit, to make her able to poke in lane, and made her ult a long range charge/skillshot to help her get back into lane and initiate teamfights. thoughts?

Excellent. Needs more punching though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Methanar posted:

Breaks my heart that karthus gets huge buffs after I go cold turkey.

If you aren’t pulling your life together anyway you might as well play. Have some priorities and self control and don’t overindulge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Excellent. Needs more punching though.

what if they made her passive that she could keep punching after she dies

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

what if they made her passive that she could keep punching after she dies

hm... seems promising, but i think it would be better if she said everything in a really poor impersonation of arnold

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
she'll be insanely vulnerable to ganks without any of the lane bullying or 2v1 potential of a darius or urgot. she has absolutely no gap control whatsoever and so unless her numbers are so good that she can just gently caress up anyone she lands a single q on she doesnt really have anything going for her

also her only escape is conditional. even jax can jump to a ward or something

Vermain posted:

It's not that impossible. Vi's two big problems in lane are that she has trouble harassing enemy laners when they're away from the wave (since she's dependent on E for ranged damage), and that the cooldown on Q early is so agonizingly long, and the mana cost so needlessly punishing, that you put yourself at a serious disadvantage when trying to bluff with it (and you have to bluff with it if you ever want a gank to go off successfully). She's also got a weird trading pattern compared to most other melee toplaners, since she has no real method of retreating after a successful trade (which isn't a problem for Camille, Jax, Renekton, Fiora, etc.) due to a lack of soft CC, a disengage dash, or any kind of speed boost.

If I wanted to make her viable in lane, I'd do one or more of the following:
  • Make E deal more damage if the empowered auto kills its primary target.
  • Make W give a short burst of speed on proc.
  • Give W an active component with a long-ish cooldown that makes your next E or Q slow the target for a brief period of time.
  • Give her passive a (poorly scaling) base value and make it linger for longer so that she can go in, trade, and retreat without taking as much damage.

i like 2 and 3 but i dont really think 1 is a good idea. you could easily end up with maokai poppy nautilus syndrome where she'll be able to build tanky and wave clear and just bring the lane to a worthless boring standstill

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 7, 2018

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Why does she need to be a viable top laner though.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

kingcobweb posted:

:riot:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

kingcobweb posted:

Something about their goal of having every champion viable in at least 2 roles or whatever.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Vi is already a support though :thinking:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

I don't think it's a bad thing for champions to have multiple viable roles if you're able to juggle their numbers sufficiently so that making one role viable doesn't make the other one too strong.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Riot always wants as much diversity as they can but since it’s a competitive game people gravitate to what’s the most powerful at any given patch. It’s a good thing to strive for but basically impossible.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

the reason you want flexible picks is actually to encourage team composition diversity. by having more flexible roles characters with distinctive abilities(vi ult being extremely high up there) can be drafted more easily, allowing for people to build team comps around ability synergy, which makes for a lot more diversity and strategic depth. if vi is only viable as a jungler, and so is say... wukong, and you want a team comp based around vi setting up to target the enemy ADC with wukong going in to follow up, you are hosed. which is not to say that is the best possible strategy but just an example

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ya characters being viable in more places than one seems kinda like a no-brainer to me. i think there's value in having characters that arent good flex picks to give draft maybe another layer but ultimately its more fun when there's more variety assuming the character isnt like a completely boring piece of poo poo like maokai or poppy

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Poppy rework is the worst thing they've ever done, she's so boring now.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Actually, she’s very fun as a support and top in my experience.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

:wrong:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

trying to make vi a toplaner makes a lot of sense, initiation based ults have mostly been banished up there far away from the action

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
More champs in more positions is a good thing so that people will stop yelling at me for going Nami mid

Stop cyberbullying me

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nightgull posted:

Actually, she’s very fun as a support and top in my experience.

She was a lot more fun when you could press R on some poor sap and murder the gently caress out of them while laughing at the rest of their team, imo. Also rip in piss the old lollipoppy splash art, which will never be forgotten.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

She was a lot more fun when you could press R on some poor sap and murder the gently caress out of them while laughing at the rest of their team, imo. Also rip in piss the old lollipoppy splash art, which will never be forgotten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nfrWwEMZ9I
I miss this.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
After a few days I have to admit the minion gold change wasn't nearly as dumb as I thought it would be, but then again I'm a top lane onetrick and it might be way worse in mid.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:(

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

old poppy was really fun and unique in a way that nobody else was and new poppy is not nearly as interesting. it was cool how poppy had a lot of burst and was surprisingly tanky and her role of anti carry diver is something that has not been properly replaced and will be missed. but the worst rework riot ever did was malzahar because he used to be able to go top, bot, and jungle and build either AP or AD and all of these were serviceable places to put him and now he is only a one dimensional midlaner

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the worst rework riot ever did was mordekaiser because hes literally the exact same as he was before but half as good and with a ton of completely non-functional gimmicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Endorph posted:

the worst rework riot ever did was mordekaiser because hes literally the exact same as he was before but half as good and with a ton of completely non-functional gimmicks

isn't this just half the roster at any moment