Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

Is this true? I assumed they would be much louder.

They are loud as gently caress when the engines are running and almost completely silent when on batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Reik posted:

China stealing IP is an actual issue that the administration could be dealing with instead of just random tariffs because why not.

you know what the obama administration was doing about this? TPP

quote:

Under the Trans-Pacific Partnership, or TPP, China would have been forced to crack down on these types of imitations, as well as bring tariffs in line with those of other countries, and strengthen its environmental regulations to be more like those of developed countries—all measures that might have made the cost of manufacturing more in the US more competitive. But the complicated, far-reaching trade deal negotiated by Barack Obama’s administration was a common punching bag of US president Donald Trump on the campaign trail, and he pulled the US out of it just three days after his inauguration.

The TPP was intended to give countries a counterbalance to China’s growing dominance in world trade. It would have “absolutely” been tough on China’s intellectual-property violations, said Christopher Balding, a professor of political economics at Peking University. Among other things, “companies and countries could sue sovereigns and have the cases heard by courts not controlled by the sovereign,” he said. “In other words, if Nike sued China, it wouldn’t be heard in a Chinese court.”

https://qz.com/1044656/trumps-china-trade-war-the-tpp-would-have-cracked-down-on-chinese-intellectual-property-theft/

there's no reason to give trump the benefit of the doubt about anything, he's an enormous blundering idiot who will single handedly cause a recession

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

kidkissinger posted:

When the diesel engines are running? Very much so.

On battery? They're incredibly quiet. Nukes still have the pumps going on the reactor.

Of course the thing with those stories is you don't hear about all of the times where a sub (or even the same sub) tries the same feat and gets caught.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Xae posted:

They are loud as gently caress when the engines are running and almost completely silent when on batteries.

How does that compare to nuclear?

Edit: answered

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

kidkissinger posted:

Nuclear subs run much quieter because their engines don't make a ton of loving noise.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

Nuclear has a higher baseline noise because the pumps need to run 24/7 to cool the reactor.

Diesel can turn off everything and turn into a hole in the water until the juice runs out. Then they need to run some loud generators to recharge and they have to be at a certain depth to snorkel air into the system.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

gently caress IP rights. If tech companies have their products stolen then it only serves them right for seeking out slave labor in poorer nations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

kidkissinger posted:

They made a documentary about it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Also the sub running on batteries pretty much has to be fortunate enough to be in the path of the carrier. It's not going to catch the carrier on batteries.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mantis42 posted:

gently caress IP rights. If tech companies have their products stolen then it only serves them right for seeking out slave labor in poorer nations.

That's kind of what I was getting at in my post. Like - if you are looking for slave wages - don't be surprised if there's a different cost somewhere else you're paying.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

They're turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers. But what's the real cost? Cause the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper. Why are we still paying so much for sneakers when you got little kid slaves makin' em? What are your overheads?!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

FizFashizzle posted:

Like partnership even?

That's spanned the pacific?

Pence refused to get on board with any trans legislation

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you want a general thesis on the pluses and minuses of diesel vs nuclear subs, you'll want to see Down Periscope starring conservative criminal Kelsey Grammar.

He's a criminal because he stole America's hearts and no matter how much of a conservative butthole he is he still has my heart.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CascadeBeta posted:

Never mind that the book has been translated and retranslated and altered and amended over the course of 2 millennia and was written by mortal hands originally anyway so what the gently caress.
This isn't really an accurate picture of the situation. We have some some extremely old copies of most of the New Testament, I'm pretty sure we have intact versions of everything dating to before 300 AD at the latest - I'd have to research more to remember which books we have to which years. The Bible we have is pretty similar to the original copies of the documents, and the places where it's different (like the end of Mark) we know about, and most Bibles you purchase will specifically note that it has an addition.

This doesn't mean that they're accurate accounts, but retranslation hasn't radically altered the contents of the books.

edit: Correction, 1st and 2nd Timothy we have copies from around 350 AD, along with 2nd and 3rd John. So most we have existing copies from 300AD or earlier, but not those 4.

The Gospel of John (which I think was the last Gospel written?) we have copies from as early as 125 AD.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 6, 2018

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

FizFashizzle posted:

Like partnership even?

That's spanned the pacific?

this sounds far too reasonable

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

They're turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers. But what's the real cost? Cause the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper. Why are we still paying so much for sneakers when you got little kid slaves makin' em? What are your overheads?!

Won't someone take these knives and forks out of my leg?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, IP theft is a real thing China and the US could be working on together. It's definitely doable. A decade ago China was a wasteland of pirated Western media and now it's the next big market.

It might be a bigger issue for China than the US. If they want more companies like DJI then those businesses need their IP protected. If China isn't guarding Western IP's then it's unlikely they're doing the same for domestic industry.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

this is, theoretically, what the first $50b was aimed at

it would have been much more effective in concert with the rest of our trading partners but the orange baby pissed them all off

The fact that TPP was built around countering China's growing expansionism and influence is one of the biggest things I still despise Trump for to date. Honestly I never thought about how it also was meant to help counter the IP theft but now that it's been pointed out it just makes me despise the piss cheetoh that much more.

It's absolutely no surprise to me at all that since TPP wasn't making money directly, and was indirectly beneficial in tremendous other ways that our manchild president wasn't able to understand that and ruined the deal without even realizing how bad he was loving up. Everyone else has been playing an intricate game of chess over there. He stumbled in and thought it was checkers, and has been loving it up ever since.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Burning_Monk posted:

Will somebody remove these cutleries from my knees?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

It's absolutely no surprise to me at all that since TPP wasn't making money directly, and was indirectly beneficial in tremendous other ways that our manchild president wasn't able to understand that and ruined the deal without even realizing how bad he was loving up. Everyone else has been playing an intricate game of chess over there. He stumbled in and thought it was checkers, and has been loving it up ever since.

trump didn't understand TPP and he can't share the limelight. he has to make a break with prior policy so he can prove he's a big boy who can do it all himself and he's the bestest and greatest. he's gonna take government apart trying to 'fix' it and then, when it's all in pieces on the floor, declare it to be impossible and let someone else clean up the mess

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Dividends for shareholders and baller parties for execs

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

khy posted:

The fact that TPP was built around countering China's growing expansionism and influence is one of the biggest things I still despise Trump for to date. Honestly I never thought about how it also was meant to help counter the IP theft but now that it's been pointed out it just makes me despise the piss cheetoh that much more.

I mean, lots of people tried to explain to the howling masses what TPP really was, but it got lost in the dumb ALL FREE TRADE DEALS ARE BAD FREE TRADE DEALS populist nonsense.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

khy posted:

He fully understands, this is just what his oligarch handlers want so he's being a good boy

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

Again, it's not just a matter of "slave labor". It's that China doesn't open its markets to you to allow you to sell to the giant Chinese market without you registering your IP with the government, and amazingly, a few years after submitting all of your documents showing all of your IP to the government so that you can sell your tech in China, suddenly there are a bunch of companies in China that have your tech and are underselling you.

And they're underselling you in part because Chinese companies have absolutely no qualms in leveraging their own slave labor, and they don't need to recoup their costs in developing the tech.

And that doesn't cover the cases where a Chinese backed company offers to take over a failing US tech company, looks at all the IP in the discovery phase, then backs away from the merger while now having a copy of all the IP.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

He fully understands, this is just what his oligarch handlers want so he's being a good boy

I don't know if he does. Like, dude is pretty dim sometimes, see: Amazon.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Marketing broke society.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

In more than a few manufacturing sectors outsourcing to China is simply cheaper in the short term than upgrading their equipment. Of course upgrading the equipment tends to reduce workforce too.

Hell even for most of the manufacturing stuff out there labor isn't a major cost driver, at least not for the final steps.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

If you want a general thesis on the pluses and minuses of diesel vs nuclear subs, you'll want to see Down Periscope starring conservative criminal Kelsey Grammar.

He's a criminal because he stole America's hearts and no matter how much of a conservative butthole he is he still has my heart.

Kelsey Grammar was Frasier and he fought the network/studios to get Girlfriends greenlit. He gets a pass. A light pass, but still a pass.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Burning_Monk posted:

Will somebody please
relieve these
companies
of IP's

FE: dammit PPJ

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am sure threat of death is motivating but the fact the US, England, Japan and Germany all were able to invent and then implement whole brand new major weapons concepts makes it seem like maybe that is just a thing that is possible to do and it's more that the modern US's difficulties with it are the aberration and not the norm.

China has a lot of heavy industry and the resources to do it. If they ever need a navy they might not be able to have one by the end of the day but it wouldn't take a hundred years either.

A lot of those weapon systems didn't work so well, or at all. Even the "successful" ones had massive glaring design flaws (the B29 was seconds away from catastrophic engine failure on every takeoff) but everyone involved just accepted that a bunch of uniformed folks dying was preferable to waiting a few months or years to get the tech right for deployment.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Koalas March posted:

Kelsey Grammar was Frasier and he fought the network/studios to get Girlfriends greenlit. He gets a pass. A light pass, but still a pass.

Sideshow Bob too

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tatsuta Age posted:

haha no, there's nobody in charge. not even trump controls trump. you wish someone was orchestrating events, in reality we're all in a giant oldsmobile and sleepy grandpa is behind the wheel

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

khy posted:

I hate to agree with President Bone Spur, but the truth is that they have done all kinds of incredibly horrible and sketchy things to steal technology (Mainly in the consumer tech field where they require copies of trademarked information to allow production or sales within China). Huawei is pretty much built entirely upon tech stolen from US companies. And then they go further to make all kinds of horrifying backdoors in their tech, spyware and other shady programs built in, the purpose of which is to give unfettered access to sensitive networks to the government. So yeah, gently caress China entirely.

On the other hand if the iPhone was produced here in the US I bet the costs would not be able to go below $1500 per phone. People like the (relatively) cheap products that come from China, tons of huge industries would be in major trouble if they can't provide products as cheaply as they are made over there, and it would affect every single income level if we were to gently caress up the production lines we have.

I honestly despise china because of their shady as gently caress practices but it's an undeniable fact that a large part of our prosperity in the US is built upon the backs of cheap chinese labor and supply chains that can get us goods and services for better prices than we could ever match for equipment built here in the US.

I don't honestly know what the best solution here is, I feel like China absolutely needs to be punished and held accountable for the theft of our IP but China sees that as levelling the playing field for the cheap goods we get from them, so how do we approach the one without loving up the other?

It's more complicated than that, in my opinion. Here's a good article illustrating the fact that China's strategy is nothing new:

https://stratechery.com/2015/xiaomis-ambition/

quote:

In China, as in much of Asia, inventions and even pure acts of creation were thought to belong to the community; visit any Chinese museum and you can calculate the value of a scroll or painting by the number of seals applied by important people showing their appreciation.

And, I might add, from my perspective it’s not a big moral problem either: the truth is the United States ran just as roughshod over intellectual property during its rise to power as China does today, and I’m more than sympathetic to the developing world’s position that the West is attempting to pull up the ladder behind it: no one was holding Europe or American to task for pollution or intellectual property or workers’ rights the way the West does the rest of the world. That doesn’t make it “right,” it just makes “right” a whole lot more gray than “Xiaomi-are-copycats” complainers are apt to admit.

It doesn't excuse their behavior, of course, but it's not particularly unique.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Will somebody please
relieve these
companies
of IP's

FE: dammit PPJ

:golfclap:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

Marketing broke society.

You're not wrong, but you're responding to a Flight of the Conchords quote

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

What is wrong with the world today?

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Is twitter down? I'm not getting new posts and I'm getting withdrawls.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

khy posted:

yeah but as people pointed out, not bothering to read the details of the agreement or understand the broader geopolitical ramifications was by no means limited to trump and had fervent supporters on the left

but even putting that aside, he first pissed everyone off with the steel nonsense right before doing this, burning a lot of bridges

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mango sentinel posted:

China isn't interested in n global force projection. They just want to control their own hemisphere. They don't need aircraft carriers to do the force projection for that, they just need to build artificial islands with missile platforms that threaten US carriers outside of retaliatory range.

This literally makes no sense unless you believe the US magically cannot bomb static islands to pieces for reasons.

If a country with sufficient capacity wanted to remove those islands as a threat, they could, especially if they already have the capacity to project forces far enough to where those islands are suddenly a danger to its navy.

China can put anti-ship missiles on all their artificial islands, and we can hem and haw about their effectiveness in hypotheticals all we want. But we've spent decades using pretty much every aspect of our military strength to remove static targets from an equation. That strength also includes submarines.

If war broke out between the US and China, you'd be foolish to think that the US military, despite being lead by an utter loving moron, would not have plans to counter or at least mitigate the threat those islands represent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Koalas March posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcC6Qkxh-_E

• Locked thread