Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Begging via email and twitter seems to be the way most manage it, other than looking for talks done by the podcast and handing out business cards

Yeah, was hoping there would be a better way but might have to do that. I made a bunch of connections at Unpub 8, hopefully I grow them at Origins in June. Main thing is I want to line stuff up to do while at Gen Con for people doing live stuff there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The Gen-Con update e-mail has me wondering, what do we call Pathfinder 2nd Edition? 3.875th edition?

Zeno's Paradox is going to come into play at some point if they iterate enough

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

what do we call Pathfinder 2nd Edition? 3.875th edition?

This has my vote. Granted, I haven't read any of the playtest stuff, but I love how it seems they are doubling down on complexity with a 400+ page playtest rulebook.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Dr. Quarex posted:

The Gen-Con update e-mail has me wondering, what do we call Pathfinder 2nd Edition? 3.875th edition?

Zeno's Paradox is going to come into play at some point if they iterate enough

Does that mean they're slowly moving towards a D&D4e clone? :newlol:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Just do the computer programmer thing and keep adding decimal notation

DnD 3.5.02b

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

Yeah, was hoping there would be a better way but might have to do that. I made a bunch of connections at Unpub 8, hopefully I grow them at Origins in June. Main thing is I want to line stuff up to do while at Gen Con for people doing live stuff there.

I don't know for sure if he's going or if the blog is one you'd be interested in or even how big it is but http://gamer-goggles.com/ is a guy I've known for years who is genuinely excited about drat near anything game related

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Welp the engine in my car just died so there goes Gencon 2018 :negative:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Okay so hear me out.

From the man who brought you Shot Wednesday, I give you:

Karaoke Thursday.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Deviant posted:

Karaoke Thursday.
:getout:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
How about Gen-Con Friday

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

How about Gen-Con Friday

Genwhat Now?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

Okay so hear me out.

From the man who brought you Shot Wednesday, I give you:

Karaoke Thursday.

Please, no

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I just bought my tickets for my second GenCon. My buddy's wife has a million airline miles and got a free hotel room downtown last year, so I'm hoping that the same thing happens this year. If not I'll just sleep on the convention floor like a Real Goon™.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
What's wrong with karaoke? I'd be down for that. I've got a song in my heart that I'm not real sure on the lyrics or melody and I've just gotta let it out!

We don't have a date for the events schedule, do we? One of my goals for this year is to do a lot more playtesting (mostly RPG's, assuming people are running the new Star Wars and Star Trek games), but I'd like to get into some discussion groups on design and the like if anything catches my fancy. And I'd actually prefer to schedule this stuff in advance for once in my life.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

What's wrong with karaoke? I'd be down for that. I've got a song in my heart that I'm not real sure on the lyrics or melody and I've just gotta let it out!

We don't have a date for the events schedule, do we? One of my goals for this year is to do a lot more playtesting (mostly RPG's, assuming people are running the new Star Wars and Star Trek games), but I'd like to get into some discussion groups on design and the like if anything catches my fancy. And I'd actually prefer to schedule this stuff in advance for once in my life.

The event list is coming out April 22, event registration is May 6.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If you want to repel grognards karaoke will do it. Someone keeps bringing it up on the Gary con forums and everytime they do the grognards go into a murderous rage. I must be one of them because I, too, want to murder who ever is putting on karaoke at a gaming con.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

nesbit37 posted:

I'm kind of sad I won't be doing any game events this year. I need to actually see if I can find some podcasts to be on about the game I'll be kickstarting in September/October. Anyone have any good tips on how to go about that?

what's the game about?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Holy poo poo they did it

Those madmen did it

They cut event listings from the physical book

Literally every single wargamer or gamer over 50 is now going to boycott

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
As long as they still have the unbelievably embarrassing summaries of the bands that are playing, I'll be ok.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Not emptyquoting.

(Although I might be convinced to show up to watch. Still, this is bar game time you're taking away from.)

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

fordan posted:

Not emptyquoting.

(Although I might be convinced to show up to watch. Still, this is bar game time you're taking away from.)

Yeah, those seats at High Velocity aren't going to fill themselves.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Holy poo poo they did it

Those madmen did it

Joke's on them, I didn't submit an event this year!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Holy poo poo they did it

Those madmen did it

Woe be to those olds that rely on the book instead of anything modern.

As a second time goer, what does everyone budget for food? The hotel my girlfriend and I have this year doesn't offer free breakfast but does have room service.

I'm going with a rough estimate of:

Breakfast x5: $20~ each
Lunch x5: $20~ each
Dinner x4: $40~ each, to account for drinks and such.
Total $360~

Obviously no meal is going to match exactly this and some may even be cheaper. I don't remember the prices on the food trucks but I don't think they were much more than $20 for two people. Is this inline with other non-rich goons, and do you include all the outrageous drink bills in the food budget or "buying stupid poo poo" budget?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Holy poo poo they did it

Those madmen did it

This makes me sad, but for different reasons than those wargamers. I hope they still let me download a CSV of the entire catalog for future updates to https://www.best50yearsingaming.com :(

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
How the hell are you spending $20 each on breakfast each morning? And you can get way cheaper lunches. Dinner, too, honestly, but I can see splurging because it's vacation.
Or are those estimates for the 2 of you? if so, okay, that sounds about right.

My first Gen Con was last year, and I never even looked at the giant book of events, just went on my phone for events (that I had not already got tickets for) or wandered around and found fun poo poo to do. The book was more of a hassle then anything.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

How the hell are you spending $20 each on breakfast each morning? And you can get way cheaper lunches. Dinner, too, honestly, but I can see splurging because it's vacation.
Or are those estimates for the 2 of you? if so, okay, that sounds about right.

My first Gen Con was last year, and I never even looked at the giant book of events, just went on my phone for events (that I had not already got tickets for) or wandered around and found fun poo poo to do. The book was more of a hassle then anything.

Yeah those are the totals for both of us. The room service seems pretty expensive so I don't know how much of that we'll do.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just buy a 6pk of Bagels and a tub of cream cheese on the way in so I can blow my food budget on Harry and Izzy's.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

clockworkjoe posted:

what's the game about?

The game is a worker placement and resource management game about bees where you have to survive for 1 year as a wild bee hive. It takes about 30 minutes a player, for 1 to 4 players, and I am going to be making some better prototype copies via the Game Crafter in the next month or two. I am happy to talk more about it here but I also don't want to gum up the Gen Con thread about it. That said, I do have a booth at Gen Con for this game so I'll probably talk more about it as a result of that as we get closer. I figure you all would like to hear about the hectic experiences of a first year exhibitor at Gen Con.

Also, we are doing a pin for Gen Con's copy of Pinny Arcade this year. We're getting 250 of these things to sell so I hope people buy them. Here is the current rendition by my graphic designer, let me know what you all think. Its carrying an orange cube because orange cubes represent pollen in the game.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

That's adorable. I'll definitely pick one of those up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nesbit37 posted:

The game is a worker placement and resource management game about bees where you have to survive for 1 year as a wild bee hive. It takes about 30 minutes a player, for 1 to 4 players, and I am going to be making some better prototype copies via the Game Crafter in the next month or two. I am happy to talk more about it here but I also don't want to gum up the Gen Con thread about it. That said, I do have a booth at Gen Con for this game so I'll probably talk more about it as a result of that as we get closer. I figure you all would like to hear about the hectic experiences of a first year exhibitor at Gen Con.

Also, we are doing a pin for Gen Con's copy of Pinny Arcade this year. We're getting 250 of these things to sell so I hope people buy them. Here is the current rendition by my graphic designer, let me know what you all think. Its carrying an orange cube because orange cubes represent pollen in the game.

I want 2 of these pls. Possibly more.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nesbit37 posted:

Also, do you have a PnP of this because I will deffo grab people locally and force them to play it for my amusement. PM or email me at toshimo@toshimo.com

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah those are the totals for both of us. The room service seems pretty expensive so I don't know how much of that we'll do.

Don't do room service. At All. There are restaurants within walking distance of the con, the food trucks, and there are some places to grab food like Wal-Greens and groceries.

nesbit37 posted:

I'm a sucker for games with odd themes or themes that haven't been hosed into the ground (no more zombies, space, or Cthulu ever again, thanks), so I will be checking this out.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm glad some of you like the bee pin!

Toshimo posted:

Also, do you have a PnP of this because I will deffo grab people locally and force them to play it for my amusement. PM or email me at toshimo@toshimo.com

No PnP right now. I haven't made one because I figured people wouldn't be interested in cutting out 80 hex tiles. If you're interested regardless, though, I might put one together based on the files we need to put together for the game crafter so let me know and I'll see about assembling that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nesbit37 posted:

No PnP right now. I haven't made one because I figured people wouldn't be interested in cutting out 80 hex tiles. If you're interested regardless, though, I might put one together based on the files we need to put together for the game crafter so let me know and I'll see about assembling that.

There exists a goon who carved an entire game of Talisman out of cereal boxes. Get me some fukken pdfs Imma get this poo poo done.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Last year, due to a weird/busy schedule, I managed to not see a single goon for the entire duration of Gen Con. I was pretty bummed. May tYoOL 2018 offer me a reversal of fortune. That is all.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is there anything for a teetotaler goon to do with goons? I went in 2016 and also didn't see any goons and most of what I saw discussed was barhopping with some games involved. Either way I'll be there. You will know me by my No Fun shirt.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is there anything for a teetotaler goon to do with goons? I went in 2016 and also didn't see any goons and most of what I saw discussed was barhopping with some games involved. Either way I'll be there. You will know me by my No Fun shirt.

I mean aside from some wednesday shenanigans, no one gets *that* drunk...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Clanpot Shake posted:

Last year, after a certain point in the day, we just commandeered half a ballroom in the Open Gaming section and played board/card games and tabletop RPGs with goons, which, unless you have some sort of compunction about hanging out with people who drink and game simultaneously, is a good option.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Toshimo posted:

Last year, after a certain point in the day, we just commandeered half a ballroom in the Open Gaming section and played board/card games and tabletop RPGs with goons, which, unless you have some sort of compunction about hanging out with people who drink and game simultaneously, is a good option.

Is that the big room that had that kind of library of games you could pull out and play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Have any of you done the Critical Role live thing? I am hooked on the current season and I think I want to go this year.