Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
It's me. I'm GET MONEY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Get Money if you fly to Pittsburgh and pay me $60k, I’ll kick you in the balls 5 days a week for 3 years and you’ll get the same experience and only pay half the cost.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

B average in undergrad, LSAT is top 3%

Lol

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes, this is the good shiiiiittt

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I am told that LLS is maybe less prestigious than Manitoba. Also there are actually legal jobs in Manitoba.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

It's me. I'm GET MONEY.

I was betting this would be the return of Soothing Vapors if anything.

edit: everyone wants to live in California get out we're full

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GET MONEY posted:

B average in undergrad, LSAT is top 3%, and I'd graduate in my early 30's. No home or spouse or chains to any particular location. LLS offered $ and I'd be OK with living the rest of my life in southern California or some other perennially warm jurisdiction. UCLA would be fantastic but without scholarship would be hard to justify. Still waiting to hear from BC/Ontario schools but Canada overall is so GPA focused I'm not particularly hopeful. My Canadian alternative right now is three years of penance in Manitoba but I think the cold might drive me insane and the US degree can go farther.

edit: if any OPPS are reading this they must declare themselves otherwise this whole hypothetical is just another apples from the poision bush because i've been doing some reading to get ahead and

I'm guessing based on this comment you have a partial scholarship to like Loyola? 3rd ranked law school in LA could be a bunch of lovely law schools. The only schools that matter in LA are Stanford, Yale, Boalt, Harvard, other T14s, and USC/UCLA (depending on which school they went to) in that order. Then any school with UC in the name (though Irvine has no alumni, so LOL), then any school with a football or basketball team they've heard of. Then like San Diego (you can claim you went for the weather), Loyola, Southwestern, American Samoa, then Laverne. And pepperdine is in there somewhere, but no one gives a poo poo after the football schools.
Also, gently caress off, we're full. The only person who's allowed to move here is Mr. Nice and only if he makes us some tacos first.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I went to Southwestern. It’s pretty good and rising up in the rankings.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Lote posted:

I went to Southwestern. It’s pretty good and rising up in the rankings.

Wait you're a doctor though right?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GET MONEY, seriously there are lots of other careers where you will actually have challenge, changing requirements, and exciting fast paced work.

Lawyers, otoh, have the highest % of sociopaths than any other profession, so you always know you’ll be surrounded by the most empathetic and caring people. Your daily work will be almost the exact same thing every day. There isn’t any amount of “coming up with crazy solutions for clients” or arguing really that you’ll do. Even if you end up in court every day, you still don’t really argue in the colloquial sense. You’re rarely if ever going to be one on one trying to convince someone they’re wrong.

You will have adversarial confrontation, though. Half the people you deal with will be deliberately acting like a crazy jackass just because it makes them more likely to win. Every one of your peers will have some sort of substance abuse problem, and you will likely develop some vice as well.

You aren’t going to be top 25% of your class. I know you’re smart, but the thing is, we’re all smart. Every single one of your competitive peers in law school is just as smart or smarter than you. Plenty of people will write much better than you, and the amount of effort you have to put in to be top of your class will be exceptional.

If you want to do any good in the world with your legal education, you’ll never make any money. You’ll make 40-60k/year starting and maybe cap out in a decade or two at a low six figure area. If you want to make money from the law, you’re already behind your competition (they had better grades/LSAT scores and are already in T14 schools) and you’re not likely to catch up. The work that you will do to get there, though, will put you in one of the highest categories (4th by profession) of suicide risk.

I know you think you’re doing the right thing and nothing i say will change your mind, but all you’re doing by quitting a comfy yet stale job in tech that already pays better than you’ll likely make as a starting attorney is to significantly increase the chance you’ll be another dead body and another statistic.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I actually have a job where I make people happy, get some coin and deal with unique situations that directly rely on me for problem solving.

Do you want to practice family law?

No you do not. Because it's loving terrible.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

He thinks because he was able to earn a 3.0 in undergrad he will now miraculously get a top 25% in law school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

3.0 in undergrad but high lsat screams smart but lazy. He’s going to ride the top of the bell curve at best.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CaptainScraps posted:

I actually have a job where I make people happy, get some coin and deal with unique situations that directly rely on me for problem solving.

I mean, yes every family law case is unique, but they’re also almost all the exact same because people (especially jilted lovers) are universally awful when pitted against one another.

Sure the case today might be the first time you ever had the father kidnap both his kids and the step kids, but generally speaking it’s still just dealing with more lovely parent poo poo.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

3.0 in undergrad but high lsat screams smart but lazy. He’s going to ride the top of the bell curve at best.

Employers hate those because they don't loving grind hours.

Here's the secret: law is full of smart people willing to work hard. There are loving tons of them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

He got a 169-170 which is good but not great.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

He thinks because he was able to earn a 3.0 in undergrad he will now miraculously get a top 25% in law school.

Any chance grades actually mean something at Canadian Universities? 3.0 in the US means you went to class once and a while and showed up for tests imo.

The competition is stiffer. You can no longer count on being smarter or just being able to cram better than 75% of the class.

Cannot emphasize enough how obnoxious he’s probably going to find your average LMU law student in LA.

E: deleted unposted poo poo post from yesterday

Flutieflakes017 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 6, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Wait you're a doctor though right?

Yes. There's a directional Texas school that's ironically in the northeast corner of the state.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I left law for a much less rote tech career. This guy is doing it backwards and wrong.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
My full ride with expenses covered experience makes me feel pretty confident in my decision, but I didn't have a prior career.

I was a 3.4 average with a 167 LSAT. I am average/below average and get crushed by my peers with regards to the number of hours they put in to achieve. This semester I've realized I legitimately have to step up my game if I want to be competitive for cool jobs, and with only one not great semester behind me I am significantly behind the power curve and unlikely to move up. I know I won't crack top 25% simply because other people want that poo poo more than me, and everyone in my class is really loving smart.

So go for it! I'm sure you'll ease right into success and will have no regrets.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I don't know, I would argue that if they were smart, they wouldn't have gone to law school.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Kawasaki Nun posted:

My full ride with expenses covered experience makes me feel pretty confident in my decision, but I didn't have a prior career.

I was a 3.4 average with a 167 LSAT. I am average/below average and get crushed by my peers with regards to the number of hours they put in to achieve. This semester I've realized I legitimately have to step up my game if I want to be competitive for cool jobs, and with only one not great semester behind me I am significantly behind the power curve and unlikely to move up. I know I won't crack top 25% simply because other people want that poo poo more than me, and everyone in my class is really loving smart.

So go for it! I'm sure you'll ease right into success and will have no regrets.

Oh boy, it's going to be a fun summer wondering if you did enough to put yourself in a position to get an offer from OCI. Have you nailed down this summer yet?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Any chance grades actually mean something at Canadian Universities?

My deep dark secret is that I got into UBC Law with a 157 LSAT, presumably because I graduated undergrad with like a 90% average.

gently caress the LSAT.

Afaik no one cares about LSAT scores after you get into law school, but firms were still asking for undergrad transcripts even when I was looking for jobs as a 3y call.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I've seen some firms ask for law transcripts, undergrad transcripts, and LSAT score.

I'm a 5th year lawyer at this point. I'm not giving you poo poo.

Also I'll never leave government until I get fired.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've seen some firms ask for law transcripts, undergrad transcripts, and LSAT score.

I'm a 5th year lawyer at this point. I'm not giving you poo poo.

I thought, "yeah, me too - oh wait, I graduated in 2010... its been 8 goddamn years already, oh gently caress me "

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

CaptainScraps posted:

As an aside, how often do you go up against pro se's? Based on what I've heard, a majority (!!!) of Las Vegas family court litigants are pro se. Based on litigating against family lawyers in non-family cases, family lawyers seem to take for granted that their opponent is incapable of reading, much less opposing, their arguments. At least that explains their penchant for unsupported arguments and personal-attacks-masquerading-as-motions.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Unamuno posted:

As an aside, how often do you go up against pro se's? Based on what I've heard, a majority (!!!) of Las Vegas family court litigants are pro se. Based on litigating against family lawyers in non-family cases, family lawyers seem to take for granted that their opponent is incapable of reading, much less opposing, their arguments. At least that explains their penchant for unsupported arguments and personal-attacks-masquerading-as-motions.

There's a lot of goddamn pro pers. I did restraining order and custody consults in San Diego and now do representation here in the Bay Area and most cases I see are unrepresented. Which, as you guessed, leads to a total shitshow in court.

Most attorneys I've encountered seem to not follow that example but there are a few I have to warn clients to be ready to dodge monkey poo poo. I'm lucky in that most judges I am in front of don't humor it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Unamuno posted:

They're the loving worst. I have to do everything with them kicking and screaming. Even minor things.

Good family law attorneys are terrifying. Keep in mind they're in court every day. They're completely at home in a court room, have cross-examined hundreds (if not thousands) of witnesses and can adapt on the fly.

Arguments on the law not so much.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The doctors thread is currently arguing over whether to report a med student (who wants to be a pediatrician) for being a diaper-fetishist furry who apparently likes baby play (I think that's what it means when a furry is with a "cub").

An interesting dilemma. If it were a law student I would say no. But a pediatrician feels different, and I'm not sure why. Their whole job is interacting with children, so any kind of fetish involving pretend baby play seems more heinous.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

Unequivocally way more interested in the latter. The only other job with a similar profile I think I might enjoy is management consulting. Something's strangely appealing about the mix of mind-numbing jargon, adversarial advocacy, and all-encompassing work that leaves no room for life balance.

This is one of my larger concerns. What are firms like on hiring a Canadian? I know it's relatively simple right now with TN visas until NAFTA implodes. And is the job market really still terrible for everyone? Because I hear that a lot but I know from experience most people seeking employment are morons with a Comic Sans resume and no common sense or relevant skills. My tech background, though I want to leave it behind, in line with where law seems to be heading w/r/t finally embracing "big data" and AI and all that.

Maybe "rote" wasn't the right word. But my understanding is if I'm not doing corporate transactional work there's a wide variety of research and problem solving to do even if you wind up putting all your conclusions into the same boilerplate filing.

Like, submitting stuff like this, or all the other case files you guys post here actually sounds fun. Am I a Broken Person and does that just mean I'm going to do great in law school?

Missed this one, I think I can reasonably end up in the top 25% of the class. Aren't there any starting jobs in the $80-$90K salary range with room to grow? I'm not opposed to biglaw per se but I'm not a gunner (I choose not to gun) and I'll have effectively no network to lean on for job opportunities.

The partner I work most with is from Canada and recently got his citizenship.

Therefore you should 100% go to law school.

Of course to increase your current pay, make up for the 3 year opportunity cost, and cover your portion of tuition/etc., you'll need to make biglaw. Which means you need to attend a T14 or absolutely slaughter your fellow classmates. Have fun!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hell, if I can do it,

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

But seriously, if he popped a 170 hes basically a classic splitter and could potentially scrape his way into Northwestern, Cornell, University of Texas, or UCLA and coast to a miserable 3 or 4 year long biglaw career. I believe.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Anyone in this thread do business law/formation in California

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

But seriously, if he popped a 170 hes basically a classic splitter and could potentially scrape his way into Northwestern, Cornell, University of Texas, or UCLA and coast to a miserable 3 or 4 year long biglaw career. I believe.

Btw key resources for the law school hopefuls:

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/ (amazing, unbiased, objective source about admissions and job placement figures by school)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/index.php (chat with hundreds of fellow suckers and learn if you're getting ripped off, could get a better deal with your scores, etc.)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
You want to practice law someplace warm, you say?

I know an island where you’ll never be bored, and where there are plenty of Chinese girls who would love to marry a Canadian.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The doctors thread is currently arguing over whether to report a med student (who wants to be a pediatrician) for being a diaper-fetishist furry who apparently likes baby play (I think that's what it means when a furry is with a "cub").

An interesting dilemma. If it were a law student I would say no. But a pediatrician feels different, and I'm not sure why. Their whole job is interacting with children, so any kind of fetish involving pretend baby play seems more heinous.

Jus gonna save this one for posterity because lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 13, 2021

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I think the pediatrician wannabe should be reported Phil. I'm sorry if that ruins your career prospects.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

:same:

And our employee relations department is so timid to discipline people that the only way to get fired is to get disbarred. So since I don't handle trust funds as government counsel, unless I commit murder or something I'm here until the cold Arctic winds claim my frozen body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I think the pediatrician wannabe should be reported Phil. I'm sorry if that ruins your career prospects.

You’re the one who said pediatricians feel different