Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

axeil posted:

Goodbey creepy pajama man, no one will miss you

It was funny when he'd go on MSNBC and get owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

awesmoe posted:

resigning lets him dodge the house ethics committee investigation that was going on

You mean duck the ethics committee.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twice burned ice posted:

10x :10bux: that Farenthold is the latest 'victim' of the #metoo movement.

Thank god that creepy gently caress finally is gone.

Actually he was exposed as a sex creep months ago and he just didn't go anywhere because the GOP are amoral pieces of poo poo who ignored it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gyges posted:

From SAG

Who is entitled to receive residuals?

All performers hired under or upgraded to a principal performer agreement whose performance remains in the final product. This includes performers, professional singers, stunt performers, stunt coordinators, pilots, dancers employed under Schedule J and puppeteers.

Oh wow that sounds grea-

quote:

Dividing up revenues generated by soaring sales of DVD's becomes contentious issue in egotiations over new three-year film and television contract between producers, represented by Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, and combined bargaining teams of Screen Actors Guild and American Federation of Radio and Television Artists; dispute has raised possibility of actors' strike; consumers, who in 1996 spent $6 billion buying VHS tapes and $9.2 billion renting them, will spend $24.5 billion buying and renting DVD's and VHS tapes in 2004, and nearly 80 percent of that will go to studios through their home entertainment division; studios have refused to change home video residual formula for creative talent guilds, which puts only fraction of pennies of each DVD sale into hands of most actors, writers and directors;
To understand just how the formula works in the age of DVD sales, however, look at Dave Chappelle, star of "Chappelle's Show" on Comedy Central. Mr. Chappelle's show is wildly popular on cable -- a limited audience compared to network television -- with around three million viewers. Last February, Paramount Home Entertainment, part of the Viacom conglomerate that owns Comedy Central, bundled Mr. Chapelle's first 12 episodes into a DVD boxed set. It shipped just 35,000 sets to the nation's video retailers. "Paramount just dumped the DVD out there," said an executive who helped broker the initial employment deal between Mr. Chappelle and Comedy Central and who spoke on the condition of anonymity. To the amazement of studio executives, sales of the boxed set, which included many of the words that were bleeped when the shows were broadcast, had reached 2.2 million units by the end of November, and had returned close to $37 million in wholesale revenues to corporate parent Viacom. Mr. Chappelle's reward was a renegotiated deal with Comedy Central that will also earn him several dollars for each future boxed set of DVD's sold, paying him a total of around $25 million a year. The reward for the rank-and-file actors who performed on "Chappelle's Show"? They will divide 12 cents for every DVD sold

Unless you're a big star you're not making a living on residuals, once again a few pennies thrown to the workers are used to justify a system where a few people hoover up all the profit, and while there's some noise about needing to protect the workers (when capitalists are also hurt), that noise disappears when say firing a bunch of workers to move production overseas is profitable for capital.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ague Proof posted:

He was already ein sexmonster but his district is super super Republican.

I'm guessing their internal polls were troubling enough.

Why? He announced in December he wasn't running again this year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nth Doctor posted:

Why? He announced in December he wasn't running again this year.

Its probably a deal where he wants to avoid the ethics investigations or public spotlight in a campaign (even if he doesn't run he'd be a topic of a Democratic candidate in his district, probably) and figured if he resigned in direct response to the scandals he'd be linking them but if he waited a few months and resigned at a random date he could claim "personal reasons" and just avoid ever addressing the fact that he's a pervert and predator.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/982363921238589441

W...what

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Hoooooooly poo poo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The new Purge movie is called The First Purge and the reason the Purge happens is so the government can just go out and kill Black Lives matter groups.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
So does creepy resigning result in a special election, or a gubernatorial appointment?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

It's just nonsense words to deflect from the scandals. Like with Trump, assume Shucks is speaking in bad faith until proven otherwise.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

"If animals and plants can't compete with man's destructive power, their extinction is natural selection."

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Out of curiosity, do you mean this as a general (and justly earned) insult, or is there some actual dirt on his academic qualifications going around that I haven't heard about yet? please dish

Sorry, I probably wasn't specific enough. When I was in grad school, I remember my sponsor saying not to be easily pushed over by someone with a PhD: it's an accomplishment, but mostly due to hard work, not necessarily genius. Some in the academic field have gotten to where they are solely due to sheer, idiotic, stubborn perseverance. Jordan Peterson is that guy, and you can tell it just when he speaks. What I will say though is that my sponsor did interact with him at a conference, and said he had the personality of someone who isn't loved by their mother. :boom:He had the kind of speaking skill where he could talk people into giving him a pass, even if there were disagreements on methodology.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

assume Shucks is speaking in bad faith until proven otherwise.

that last bit's pretty redundant

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Rinkles posted:

that last bit's pretty redundant

I think you mean "implausible"

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

VitalSigns posted:

Do stunt performers get paid in a percentage of sales (no). Only big name actors can get contracts like that, other than them it's the executives and shareholders who suck up all the extra profit from DVD sales abroad.

(actually, yes)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Re: Peterson, and in support of Lowtax's new neck, I give you:

:qqpeters:

E: at least, once it's cleared its way through the forums or whatever needs to happen. It's on the list of smilies already at least.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 6, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

VitalSigns posted:

Do stunt performers get paid in a percentage of sales (no). Only big name actors can get contracts like that, other than them it's the executives and shareholders who suck up all the extra profit from DVD sales abroad.

Anyway glad liberals can stop pretending to care about the welfare of a guy in China when discussing trade policy, they don't.

I don't think IP shouldn't exist (if we're going to stick with capitalism anyway) (although I do think copyrights ought to return to their original length rather than being extended every time Disney needs to keep its IP out of the public domain), I'm just pointing out an example of the inconsistency and hypocrisy in the arguments for free trade, where sweatshops abroad and unemployment at home are defended as charitable endeavors to help the Chinese, but the welfare of the Chinese goes out the window the instant they do something a capitalist doesn't like.

You idiot. You loving moron.

Trump didn't put the tariffs on China to improve working conditions.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm watching CNN right now, and is Wolf Blitzer completely shithoused? He's barely competent with people.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Timby posted:

I'm watching CNN right now, and is Wolf Blitzer completely shithoused? He's barely competent with people.

Is this the first time you're watching Wolf in action?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No that's just his baseline form

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Zuck is only sorry because an algorithm said he should be sorry.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

You idiot. You loving moron.

Trump didn't put the tariffs on China to improve working conditions.

Duh.

However if we hadn't been so eager to let capital crush US labor and take advantage of sweatshops we probably wouldn't be talking about it because an orange idiot wouldn't have been the only major party candidate in decades talking about how much the US worker is getting hosed.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Gyges posted:

From SAG

Who is entitled to receive residuals?

All performers hired under or upgraded to a principal performer agreement whose performance remains in the final product. This includes performers, professional singers, stunt performers, stunt coordinators, pilots, dancers employed under Schedule J and puppeteers.

lol the owning is sizzling

vitalsigns is a bad poster

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

Duh.

However if we hadn't been so eager to let capital crush US labor and take advantage of sweatshops we probably wouldn't be talking about it because an orange idiot wouldn't have been the only major party candidate in decades talking about how much the US worker is getting hosed.

it is far better to be a worker in china or india now than it was 20 or 30 years ago

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

skylined! posted:

lol the owning is sizzling

vitalsigns is a bad poster

That is just what Big Puppet wants you to think man.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

man, im getting ready to buy a house and it would be great if the stock market stopped going down

just kidding. i am getting ready to buy a house but i hope the whole thing crashes and burns even if it affects me negatively!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

This is actually really neat, and I'm not sure what popehat's freaking out about. (Unless the joke is 'this is what it would read from my subvocalizations' and I'm just reading the tweet wrong.)

As an anti-social cowering baby who would die of embarrassment at the idea of shouting at my phone in public, the idea of being able to invisibly issue hands-free commands and receive audible responses that only I can hear is fantastic. I mean, it would need to be less obvious than that big face covering white strip, but I'm sure that's just the prototype version.

Also, it's too bad this technology is coming a little too late for Stephen Hawking, as something like this would have essentially allowed him to hold real time conversations. :(

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

it is far better to be a worker in china or india now than it was 20 or 30 years ago

See this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Unemployment and outsourcing is good, because some Chinese or Indian workers are better off (not as better off as they'd be under fair trade, mind), and Americans have too much wealth already (not the Americans losing their jobs, mind, and let's ignore that the top 1% are making out like bandits). Free trade is a charity!

Except it isn't, the second one of those Chinese workers does something capitalists don't like, oh my gosh suddenly the liberal doesn't care about their welfare anymore and starts talking about how unfair the guy from a small village selling bootleg DVDs from his roadside stall is being to media conglomerates er the American worker!

I mean it's good that the liberal can sometimes sympathize with the workers, but like could we maybe try doing that all the time rather than only when it's convenient for the owners?

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

man, im getting ready to buy a house and it would be great if the stock market stopped going down

just kidding. i am getting ready to buy a house but i hope the whole thing crashes and burns even if it affects me negatively!

Tell me you aren't in the Seattle market. Our property taxes have gone up 20% in 3 years...

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Timby posted:

Isn't Blitzer the CNN head that asked during a live interview segment with a hurricane survivor who the "Dollar General" was

BobTheJanitor posted:

This is actually really neat, and I'm not sure what popehat's freaking out about. (Unless the joke is 'this is what it would read from my subvocalizations' and I'm just reading the tweet wrong.)

You're reading it wrong.

scopes fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 6, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BobTheJanitor posted:

As an anti-social cowering baby who would die of embarrassment at the idea of shouting at my phone in public, the idea of being able to invisibly issue hands-free commands and receive audible responses that only I can hear is fantastic. I mean, it would need to be less obvious than that big face covering white strip, but I'm sure that's just the prototype version.

Also, it's too bad this technology is coming a little too late for Stephen Hawking, as something like this would have essentially allowed him to hold real time conversations. :(

Yeah, if you're going to just scream endlessly about the potential abuses of a new technology, start with this instead:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/darpa-funded-prosthetic-memory-system-successful-in-humans-study-finds

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/PrfpIJo.gifv

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Azhais posted:

Yeah, if you're going to just scream endlessly about the potential abuses of a new technology, start with this instead:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/darpa-funded-prosthetic-memory-system-successful-in-humans-study-finds

He's not screaming endlessly about the device, he's saying that the device would pick up nothing but the endless daily screaming that is the background brain noise during the Trump era.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So how long before that device is used to get confessions

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Re: Peterson, and in support of Lowtax's new neck, I give you:

:qqpeters:

E: at least, once it's cleared its way through the forums or whatever needs to happen. It's on the list of smilies already at least.

I thought that smile was two women chest bumping. I don't know what that says about me.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Would this have worked for him? It functions by picking up on neuromuscular signals in the jaw and face that are triggered when people speak 'in their head' but not generally observable. I think that this is actually similar to what Hawking was using, but his paralysis meant that he didn't have function in his entire face and so it had to rely on using specific muscle twitches as switches.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Tell me you aren't in the Seattle market. Our property taxes have gone up 20% in 3 years...

im in austin

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hollismason posted:

So how long before that device is used to get confessions
Never? A) that's not really how subvocalization works at all, and B) there's a reason we get people to sign their written confessions instead of just accepting things typed on a paper as proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

im in austin

Likely not much better I'd imagine.

• Locked thread