Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Golden Bee posted:

If you want to intimidate someone, you can always pressure someone, propose a deal, or turn to violence.
No, I disagree. The rules for pressuring someone are decidedly squishy and unsatisfying, proposing a deal doesn't get to the heart of the issue, and turning to violence doesn't give the other party any kind of out (and is also likely to straight up kill NPCs). It also assumes two-sided violence, which is often not narratively appropriate. There were a number of times playing this game where sessions ground to a halt because there was no clear mechanical way to handle what the PCs were doing (or trying to do). Like I said, A+ for theme, but in terms of a tightly-written hack I'd give it a C mechanically.

Also, what's up with modifying the "price" of something by +-10% or 15% or whatever when the game has no way to handle resources or money? Like, what does +15% even mean?

What does "terrible harm" mean for a game that has no harm track? See what I mean? There's a bunch of stuff about this game that still feels beta or unfinished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Ilor posted:

What does "terrible harm" mean for a game that has no harm track? See what I mean? There's a bunch of stuff about this game that still feels beta or unfinished.

Yup, this is the beta version.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
"The Sword, the Crown and the Unspeakable Power" (SCUP) PDF is out.

Anyone read or played it yet? Is it good?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Just got my copy of the 1st Masks sourcebook, Halcyon City Herald, which I'd forgotten I'd pledged for.

It at least avoids the mistake of the core and has the associated playbooks printed in the back! The meat of it's just lots of little vignettes for the default setting, most of which have a custom move or two associated with them.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Have you also forgotten about the LE playbooks? :V

I mentioned that the beta versions for Brain, Harbinger, and Soldier came out a while ago, but nobody reacted whatsoever. :shrug:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

lessavini posted:

"The Sword, the Crown and the Unspeakable Power" (SCUP) PDF is out.

Anyone read or played it yet? Is it good?
As time goes on I like it more and more. I feel the play books are very similar to core AW, But improved with more specificity for the setting. The crown does something set the hardholder doesn’t, and the new torturer/wormtongue/magician/witch books are intriguing. Plus it lets you play a much much wider array of monarchies than the traditional, "just middle ages" kind of game.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Golden Bee posted:

As time goes on I like it more and more. I feel the play books are very similar to core AW, But improved with more specificity for the setting.
Interesting. Would you say it strikes the same balance as AW in regard to the spectrum of "Adventuring party <---> Player-driven drama" ? I ask because I always felt that most hacks end up going radically to one side (Dungeon World, Monster of the Week) or the other (Monsterhearts, Sagas of the Icelanders, etc), while the original AW manages - at least in my experience- to strike a balance in this regard. Is SCUP similar?

quote:

The crown does something set the hardholder doesnt,
Could you elaborate?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Golden Bee posted:

As time goes on I like it more and more. I feel the play books are very similar to core AW, But improved with more specificity for the setting. The crown does something set the hardholder doesn’t, and the new torturer/wormtongue/magician/witch books are intriguing. Plus it lets you play a much much wider array of monarchies than the traditional, "just middle ages" kind of game.

This looks interesting, but sadly doesn't seem to have a preview yet. So seconding that request!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

lessavini posted:

Interesting. Would you say it strikes the same balance as AW in regard to the spectrum of "Adventuring party <---> Player-driven drama" ? I ask because I always felt that most hacks end up going radically to one side (Dungeon World, Monster of the Week) or the other (Monsterhearts, Sagas of the Icelanders, etc), while the original AW manages - at least in my experience- to strike a balance in this regard. Is SCUP similar?

Could you elaborate?

I would say it’s about average in that players can team up but aren’t required to. There’s a huge power dynamic between a popular guy who sings in taverns and the king of the only city for 500 miles, but there’s a patronage system which means players can connect while still manipulating each other.

The hardholder doesn’t have any playbook level up moves but The Crown gets a few different ones. You get a version of ‘finger in every pie’, to use your Royal powers to just get someone in front of you. You can personally lead your army in battle. You are Powerful and your moves reinforce that.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
I'm dipping my toes back into the water of RPG design after a period of long illness, and I'm working on a third-generation PBTA game where there are a small number of flexible basic moves that rely upon "fictional resource". So for instance, here's the example for one of them:

quote:

When you make your reputation known, make clear your reputation and roll+grand. On a hit, they know you by your reputation and you choose options. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 1:

Option

Option

Option

Option

On a miss they don’t know who you are and that’s a problem, or they do and that’s worse. The MC makes a move against you, hard as they like.

In this case a reputation is a keyword that you have as part of your character/playbook. You may well have multiple ones, that you can use in different situations (so if you were Assassin for Hire and Wealthy Merchant you might use them to achieve different things).

Now, I have three of these moves mapped out: Make your reputation known (reputations), consult a source of information (sources, ie reputable places you can get information from including libraries, experts, but also spying on the movements of guards, your own knowledge of a subject, etc), take an opening (openings, being weaknesses in a foe, opportunities to act effectively, etc etc).

The mechanical flow of these moves you use your reputations to get access to sources of information, which you use to find the openings you need to triumph. Basically, you solve problems, in many cases, by going through this flow of activity. You bribe the doorman (the reputation is Very Rich) to get into the club, where you observe your target (source of information), to learn that they have a limp on their left side and are getting steadily drunker as the evening goes on (openings).

(None of this terminology is set in stone, it's just working concepts right now)

However, I need a fourth move to represent ways to access sources of information that aren't social. I need to have a move that lets you break into a house, pick the pocket of a target, fix the surveillance equipment, hike across the mountain range, etc etc. ie, a move that lets you do stuff rather than be stuff. But I'm struggling to conceptualise a fictional resource for it, and also how to encompass this range of activity. Any thoughts?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Moxie? Gumption?

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

BlackIronHeart posted:

Moxie? Gumption?

How would these be preserved as fictional assets though? What meaningfully different kinds of moxie could characters have access to? The problem isn't the name as such, it's the concept I'm struggling with - what kinds of resource are applicable to this?

I hope that makes sense (I'm not even sure it does to me).

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Access? Access seems good.

Use Reputation to get info and influence, use Resources to get supplies, use Access to get into places, and use Openings to exploit weaknesses. And if I could suggest a fifth resource - use Force to remove problems in your way.

Reputation can get you Resources and Access, Resources can get you Access and Force, Access can get you Resources and Openings, and Force and Openings can solve problems.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 13, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
How about "Nerve?" Treat it as a resource (like Stress in BitD), something that comes and goes depending on how long it's been since your last downtime/recharge/whatever.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

gnome7 posted:

Access? Access seems good.

Use Reputation to get info and influence, use Resources to get supplies, use Access to get into places, and use Openings to exploit weaknesses. And if I could suggest a fifth resource - use Force to remove problems in your way.

Reputation can get you Resources and Access, Resources can get you Access and Force, Access can get you Resources and Openings, and Force and Openings can solve problems.

I like this very much, very much indeed. Thank you.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

That is a fantastic snapshot. How does Reputation loop back in? Just as a record of (or the perception of) how you have employed those subsidiary resources in the past?

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

SlimGoodbody posted:

That is a fantastic snapshot. How does Reputation loop back in? Just as a record of (or the perception of) how you have employed those subsidiary resources in the past?

I can try and give the real theory crafting element of it if you like.

Ok, so, in PBTA there's the concept of the fictional trigger that makes the move happen, then the move is a crux point where the fictional weight of the character (the stat) impacts upon the possible outcomes sometimes via player choice (picking options, etc), which in turn triggers a fictional outcome. However, there's actually another step in there - the fictional resource or asset that the character uses to leverage that trigger.

So, I go aggro on someone, and I stick the gun in their loving face and say "I'll pull the trigger if you don't tell me where you hid the stash", that's a trigger. But for that trigger to exist in the first place, you need the fictional asset (the gun) that allows the fiction to unfold in that way. So the flow is:

1. Fictional asset allows fictional trigger to occur
2. Fictional trigger initiates move
3. Fictional weight (stat) impacts outcome
4. Player choice impacts outcome (optional)
5. Fiction is triggered by move result

What I'm trying to do in this is take the one element of that which PBTA games are super fuzzy about (the fictional asset), and make it explicit, in the same way that the fictional triggers are made explicit in PBTA despite existing in a fuzzy fashion in basically every other RPG already. To facilitate this, I'm considering what fictional resources can, and should, exist in order to provide a framework for fictional triggers for certain kinds of move.

So in the example move (with reputations), we have:

quote:

When you make your reputation known [fictional trigger], make clear your reputation [fictional asset allowing trigger], and roll+grand [fictional weight].

In this example, the category of fictional asset is clear to me ("things I appear to be or way I appear to be to other people").

I was struggling to conceptualise the other categories, but I think, working from what gnome7 has suggested, I have something.

1.Who I am/appear to be (Reputation)

2. What I can do (Skills)

3. What openings are available (Opportunities)

4. Things I can learn from (Sources)

5. Things I have that I can use for a specific purpose (Tools)

There's also a zeroth option which is

0. Brute Force (if all else fails don't use a tool to pick the lock, break the lock. Don't wait for the moment to strike, just hit him as hard as you can. Don't pump useful lady #4 for info, just shove a gun in her face and demand it. Brute Force should be messy and full of consequences)

Then instead of a basic move structure you can have a "generic" structure for a move that proc off of the specific fictional asset leveraged. I'm still working out the details but I've got a handle on the concepts now I think.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I really like this idea. It boils down some PBTA things that I still have difficulty tracking at times.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2e is finally out!

It's been a strange journey from a design contest on this forum to this point, but I'm very proud of the end result. It's a beautiful book, and does some really fun things with your world's history and how you reshape the map over generations. For this edition, I've incorporated a lot of feedback on the 1st edition - particularly, I've added a lot more play advice, made it a lot smoother to shift between the character and faction levels of play, and added a ton more playbooks to make sure the world your group builds is truly unique.

If any of that sounds intriguing, pick up the free quickstart or check out the full version!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Is the PDF supposed to be $21.01? That is a strange number.

Definitely buying this when I get home though, Legacy is a cool game that I never really got to the table, so 2E gives me a good excuse to try again.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

gnome7 posted:

Is the PDF supposed to be $21.01? That is a strange number.

Definitely buying this when I get home though, Legacy is a cool game that I never really got to the table, so 2E gives me a good excuse to try again.

Ah, I told Modiphius I wanted to sell it for £15 not thinking of how it'd look in USD. I'll see about tweaking that. Thanks for giving it a look!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Nah that's fine, I think that's more DTRPG's problem than yours. The price would make more sense if DTRPG mentioned it is supposed to be in another currency and they converted it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flavivirus posted:

Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2e is finally out!

Loving my read so far. I have the KS version, and have found some errors. Are you interested in reports, or has the ship sailed?

Also, I was wondering if you could say a bit about how the Fortunes and Trials for Age advancement are meant to be balanced. They seem roughly as good as each other mechanically, such as the second on both lists being mechanically identical. Are they meant to imply some sort of soft guidance to the GM or something?

Edit: and am I utterly blind, or are there no character/family playbook sheets that can be filled out?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 21, 2018

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Flavivirus posted:

Ah, I told Modiphius I wanted to sell it for £15 not thinking of how it'd look in USD. I'll see about tweaking that. Thanks for giving it a look!

Congrats on the release of Legacy 2e! I love the setting and scope for Legacy, so I can't wait to dig into this latest version.

I'd love to pick your brains about working with Modiphius. I'm staring down the barrell of getting my first game published and it's pretty daunting. I don't know whether I should go all out on self publishing or approach an established company like Modiphius. I had a great conversation with Mark Diaz Truman from Magpie earlier today who gave me some great advice about directions I should pursue.

TBH All you publisher folks in this thread are folks I look up to in regards to the quality of your games, your business ethics, and what you want for the TTRPG comunity in general and I'd love some advice or anything you're interested in offering me in regards to Impulse Drive.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

madadric posted:

I had a great conversation with Mark Diaz Truman from Magpie earlier today who gave me some great advice about directions I should pursue.
I have to warn you to be careful, SA TG in general has... strong feelings towards Mark Diaz Truman which I share to an extent, mind, but still.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Foglet posted:

I have to warn you to be careful, SA TG in general has... strong feelings towards Mark Diaz Truman which I share to an extent, mind, but still.

I mean talking to him about business is fine. Just...keep it a business relationship. Dude's done sketch poo poo to his own friends before.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Loving my read so far. I have the KS version, and have found some errors. Are you interested in reports, or has the ship sailed?

Also, I was wondering if you could say a bit about how the Fortunes and Trials for Age advancement are meant to be balanced. They seem roughly as good as each other mechanically, such as the second on both lists being mechanically identical. Are they meant to imply some sort of soft guidance to the GM or something?

Edit: and am I utterly blind, or are there no character/family playbook sheets that can be filled out?

If you haven't had the DriveThru link sent to you, send me a message on KS - that's the final version, and comes bundled with the handout sheets.

For Fortune/Trial balancing, we wanted everyone to come into a new age with new things to play with. It's a game about evolution, after all, so going through trials can easily make you stronger. The fiction side of things is meant to be the main 'punishment' for Trials - if you get a 6- or 7-9 you'll start the new age on something of a back foot, with injustices to address or wounds in your family to heal. On the other side, getting Fortunes gives you some extra tech as a nice little bonus, and the results imply that you'll be in a high social standing when play begins again. So soft guidance to the entire group, not just the GM.

madadric posted:

Congrats on the release of Legacy 2e! I love the setting and scope for Legacy, so I can't wait to dig into this latest version.

I'd love to pick your brains about working with Modiphius. I'm staring down the barrell of getting my first game published and it's pretty daunting. I don't know whether I should go all out on self publishing or approach an established company like Modiphius. I had a great conversation with Mark Diaz Truman from Magpie earlier today who gave me some great advice about directions I should pursue.

TBH All you publisher folks in this thread are folks I look up to in regards to the quality of your games, your business ethics, and what you want for the TTRPG community in general and I'd love some advice or anything you're interested in offering me in regards to Impulse Drive.

Modiphius has been pretty great for me. They didn't provide financial assistance getting the book complete, but they provided a ton of good advice and introductions to great warehousing, shipping, printing etc companies. Now that the game's out, they're giving me the majority of money earned from PDF sales and once the hardcopy's out we're splitting money earned selling it at cons and in game shops 50/50. Basically, they're acting as a great promotional engine and a route into distribution without the big headaches I'd have handling it myself.

As far as I've seen Magpie is great to work with, and they've got good heads for business. I'm not privy to the financial compensation they ask for, but seeing how well their kickstarters do their advice is probably work heeding. Not necessarily their advice on stretch goal management, though - I think every single game they've kickstarted still has multiple stretch goals left to deliver.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Foglet posted:

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean talking to him about business is fine. Just...keep it a business relationship. Dude's done sketch poo poo to his own friends before.

Flavivirus posted:

If you haven't had the DriveThru link sent to you, send me a message on KS - that's the final version, and comes bundled with the handout sheets.

For Fortune/Trial balancing, we wanted everyone to come into a new age with new things to play with. It's a game about evolution, after all, so going through trials can easily make you stronger. The fiction side of things is meant to be the main 'punishment' for Trials - if you get a 6- or 7-9 you'll start the new age on something of a back foot, with injustices to address or wounds in your family to heal. On the other side, getting Fortunes gives you some extra tech as a nice little bonus, and the results imply that you'll be in a high social standing when play begins again. So soft guidance to the entire group, not just the GM.

Modiphius has been pretty great for me. They didn't provide financial assistance getting the book complete, but they provided a ton of good advice and introductions to great warehousing, shipping, printing etc companies. Now that the game's out, they're giving me the majority of money earned from PDF sales and once the hardcopy's out we're splitting money earned selling it at cons and in game shops 50/50. Basically, they're acting as a great promotional engine and a route into distribution without the big headaches I'd have handling it myself.

As far as I've seen Magpie is great to work with, and they've got good heads for business. I'm not privy to the financial compensation they ask for, but seeing how well their kickstarters do their advice is probably work heeding. Not necessarily their advice on stretch goal management, though - I think every single game they've kickstarted still has multiple stretch goals left to deliver.

Thanks for the insight folks!

Stretch goals is a part that I'm going to be very cautious with when it comes to my first time trying to kickstart something. Being in Australia feels like a big hurdle for physical stuff, but I also don't want to over-promise on content-based stretch goals that then needs to be produced.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

madadric posted:

Thanks for the insight folks!

Stretch goals is a part that I'm going to be very cautious with when it comes to my first time trying to kickstart something. Being in Australia feels like a big hurdle for physical stuff, but I also don't want to over-promise on content-based stretch goals that then needs to be produced.

When I Kickstarted Pigsmoke I specifically said 'no stretch goals' because I didn't want to deal with them. On the one hand, I probably ended up leaving money on the table. On the other hand, when the main book was done it was done and I appreciated that a lot.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ironsworn looks pretty cool and you can download it for free.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Way too many moves, and way too many roll plus your good stat moves.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Has anyone converted AW over to work with the Fallen Empires rules for weapons, where everything defaults to 2-harm unless it's in its preferred range, where it does 3-harm? It pretty much fixes the issues I have with weapons in AW, especially for the slight hack of it I want to do.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Halloween Jack posted:

Has anyone converted AW over to work with the Fallen Empires rules for weapons, where everything defaults to 2-harm unless it's in its preferred range, where it does 3-harm? It pretty much fixes the issues I have with weapons in AW, especially for the slight hack of it I want to do.

The new version of fallen empires did away with that.

I miss it too.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Golden Bee posted:

Way too many moves, and way too many roll plus your good stat moves.

Yeah, I'm tinkering with an Anglo-Saxon inspired pbta game at the moment that touches on some of the same themes as this game, and I seriously thought I was pushing the absolute upper limit on how many lives I had at base... And it's not even two thirds the number in this game.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Error 404 posted:

The new version of fallen empires did away with that.

I miss it too.

Wait, what was the problem with that?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, what was the problem with that?

I don't know if it was a problem so much as vince wanted to try something else.

The current rules have every weapon doing x harm again, and a system of advantage and disadvantage that gives you +1/-1 depending on circumstance. And the battle moves allow you to withdraw if you end up outmatched.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
How would you hack AW for Planescape?

I would put factions at center, so my first thought is making them playbooks (The Dustman, The Athar, etc) and going from there. Make the moves a mix of powers based on belief (eg: Dead Truce for Dustmen) and based on class/role-related activities (fighting moves for Harmonium, thief/sabotage moves for Anarchists, etc). Also, I would make advancement/xp based on the factions beliefs with moves like "when you do X mark xp".

Thoughts?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Green Law of Varkith and Planarch Codex for Dungeon World try.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Megazver posted:

The Green Law of Varkith and Planarch Codex for Dungeon World try.
I have Planarch Codex here but never took a good look at it. Will rectify this now, thanks.

What about Urban Shadows? If it's geared for factional intrigue, it should fit a Planescape game centered on the factions, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

lessavini posted:

I have Planarch Codex here but never took a good look at it. Will rectify this now, thanks.

What about Urban Shadows? If it's geared for factional intrigue, it should fit a Planescape game centered on the factions, right?

US is about inter-player conflict, but it doesn't really do any faction stuff.