Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

You have no problem with being told to go outside? Well, pity that all the new bylaws forbid it outside, then!

I think there’s room for reasonable restriction but this goes too far. There is no problem with smoking outside away from doors and air intakes. That’s a completely acceptable compromise.

Yeah, there needs to be a compromise space where you can smoke some mary jane. Especially with a lot of people in non-smoking apartments, this is just asking for trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean I am not Canadian but even I know that...the lake is named for the state where the city is ffs

oh buddy

the province is named after the lake, actually. Means "Lake of Shining Waters" in Huron (Ontari'io)

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

Smokers are terrible people and the laws segregating and restricting them to the most inconvenient and annoying places is good and cool. Pot should fall under that exact same category. No smoking anything in parks, anywhere near doorways, patios, etc etc.

i remember jeff sessions saying something very similar to this about a year ago

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

PT6A posted:

I don’t want to smell it, but I recognize that it’s not my right to be free of all annoyances in a public space. Why are people so loving fragile? Yes, it smells bad. loving deal with it; you’ll be okay if you’re briefly annoyed!

Try endlessly farting in an office or not showering for a week and see how long your manager decides to put up with it before deciding you have to have A Talk. Also the massive social faux pas of microwaving fish in the office kitchen.

Or stuff like this:

Foul odours are actually one of the senses we police quite strictly, as bad ones can be a lot more repulsive and difficult to avoid or tolerate than other nuisances.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That's why you drop silent farts in other people's offices.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

i remember jeff sessions saying something very similar to this about a year ago

A good SSB post. Because we should all smoke sumthin.

NZAmoeba posted:

Try endlessly farting in an office or not showering for a week and see how long your manager decides to put up with it before deciding you have to have A Talk. Also the massive social faux pas of microwaving fish in the office kitchen.

Or stuff like this:

Foul odours are actually one of the senses we police quite strictly, as bad ones can be a lot more repulsive and difficult to avoid or tolerate than other nuisances.

I agree, you shouldn't smoke in an office, or on a subway. Being near someone, briefly, who is smoking outdoors (either tobacco or cannabis) is not a big deal, and if you think it is, then you have mental problems. I mean, I don't even really have a dog in this fight since I don't smoke cigarettes or cannabis, but it's just such an inconsequential thing to bitch about.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

Or stuff like this:

Occasionally getting a whiff of someone's smoke because the wind happened to be blowing a certain way is a lot different then being in enclosed environment where smell lingers.

Springtime dogpoop thaw and farm manure smells feel far more prevalent and offensive then cigarette smoke. :colbert:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oxyclean posted:

Occasionally getting a whiff of someone's smoke because the wind happened to be blowing a certain way is a lot different then being in enclosed environment where smell lingers.

Springtime dogpoop thaw and farm manure smells feel far more prevalent and offensive then cigarette smoke. :colbert:

That's why there's fines for not picking up after your dog?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

That's why there's fines for not picking up after your dog?

No, that's more because people don't want to step in dogshit.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/982267889674670087

Doug Ford's gonna lose this election lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Inshallah

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I wouldn't bet on it.

And he's not ...entirely... wrong. Doug Ford doesn't need a plan to win, he's wrong about why, but that doesn't matter. No one who is willing to vote for a Ford led PC government gives a flying gently caress about a "plan". It does not factor into their voting intention and never has with the Fords.

Every election they've been involved in beyond Ward 2 council has involved spilling barrels of ink pointing out the complete impossibility of their stated policies, their general innumeracy, and the absurdity of their rhetoric. It doesn't matter.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 6, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
love too spend the next few months hearing about how we should take doug ford seriously but not literally

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Jimbozig posted:

The Ontario Liberals are less poo poo than the federal ones, tyvm. They actually throw in some good policies that help people and keep some promises while they sell us out with neoliberal privatization bullshit. The Federal Liberals just say they'll do good stuff but always after the next election - they're too busy trying to build pipelines and sell weapons to dictators to get those promises done in this decade.

The Federal Liberals also had a mandate to enact electoral reform that would prevent any chance of a future Conservative majority, and they decided that nah, we are cool with letting the Cons get their turn. So much for "anyone but conservatives". A vote for the Liberals is a vote for the Conservatives, plain and simple.

I find it hard to appreciate anything they have done when they do some of the most fiscally irresponsible poo poo of all time like start the hydro one sell off.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

infernal machines posted:

I wouldn't bet on it.

And he's not ...entirely... wrong. Doug Ford doesn't need a plan to win, he's wrong about why, but that doesn't matter. No one who is willing to vote for a Ford led PC government gives a flying gently caress about a "plan". It does not factor into their voting intention and never has with the Fords.

Every election they've been involved in beyond Ward 2 council has involved spilling barrels of ink pointing out the complete impossibility of their stated policies, their general innumeracy, and the absurdity of their rhetoric. It doesn't matter.

The amount of chutzpah and hubris on display for an election still two months away is staggering. The Conservatives are loving this up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Reince Penis posted:

The amount of chutzpah and hubris on display for an election still two months away is staggering. The Conservatives are loving this up.

This is definitely something we disagree on, the hubris and chutzpah are real, and they are an asset not a liability IMO. You've seen the last two municipal elections in Toronto, you know how this works by now.

Unless you think there's some silent majority of Red Tories in southern Ontario that are either going to go Liberal or just not show up this time out, he's not losing much.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Reince Penis posted:

You are very sure the worst thing won't happen. This seems dubious, friend

For example: everything

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
They're taking a victory lap 2 months before the vote. If you don't see the optics problem therein I don't know what to tell you.

E: I'm not clear what you mean about the last two mayoral elections in Toronto either. Both Rob Ford and John Tory ran fairly humble campaigns neither of which acted like they were the front-runner from day one.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 6, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm saying it's not a problem because you're assuming rules that apply to other candidates apply to Doug Ford they don't and they never have.

Doug Ford being a smug prick and telling people, "Don't worry, you don't need to know the details, I've got this" isn't a problem because people who were willing to vote for a government led by Doug Ford do not care about policy. So maybe a Ford led PC government is fundamentally undetectable, or maybe PC voters will stick to their party regardless, but Doug Ford being a complete knob end during the campaign isn't changing any minds. He was already a divisive enough candidate that I don't think there's a lot of swing there.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yes I understand the dynamic but 'plucky outsider playing by his own rules' doesn't mix well with 'crowned winner in game one of a seven game series.' '

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I guess I'm asking who do you see seriously considering a vote for the OPC, with Ford at the helm, only to change their mind when they see the party "taking their vote for granted"?

He's an underdog outsider who knows he's going to win because you just hate the Liberals so darn much, and they're so bad and corrupt and ruining the province, who else are you going to vote for?

e: I think he's also learned that the way his predecessors lots the election was by talking about their policies

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 6, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I realize this is somewhat contradictory, but he's running on finding $6 billion in "efficiencies". Getting nailed down on specifics like gutting the public service, reducing benefit programs, cuts to education and healthcare will only hurt him and he knows that. Hudak probably could have squeaked out a minority if not for gleefully handing out pink slips, etc. But at this point Ford's not saying he'll cut anything and if you're willing to vote for a ferret looking used car sticker salesman you probably aren't going to pay much attention to the details.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Lol did I hear on the radio that doug ford is going to do some high speed bullet train to London or something how does that even make sense

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Can we devote a moment to talk about when Hamilton committed itself to racism and transphobia

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Re: Peterson, and in support of Lowtax's new neck, I give you:

:qqpeters:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Lol did I hear on the radio that doug ford is going to do some high speed bullet train to London or something how does that even make sense

Probably some more nonsense where he's talking about a federal project (e.g. VIA high speed rail in the Windsor corridor) because he has no goddamn idea what the provincial government actually does.

e: Or that, in which we build and operate our own HSR service because VIA doesn't want to stump the cash to build out their service, because it's not really viable. It basically requires no at-grade crossings anywhere and dedicated tracks, so yeah, it's pricey

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 6, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Jesus no it's Wynne putting 11 billion into a high speed train Windsor to Union station to "help businesses attract talented workers from across a wider area". At least she admits she's made Toronto unliveable.

Premier Kathleen Wynne was at Info-Tech in London today to highlight Ontario's historic investment to build a high speed rail line along the Toronto-Windsor corridor that will connect communities and create jobs and economic growth across Southwestern Ontario.

As announced in the 2018 Budget, the government will make an initial investment of more than $11 billion to support construction of Phase One of the project between Toronto and London. Canada's first high speed rail line -- the largest new investment in the Budget -- will slash travel times in half along the corridor, offer people a convenient new travel option that will reduce carbon emissions, while creating new opportunities for workers, businesses and anyone traveling in this part of Ontario.

Electric-powered trains will move at speeds of up to 250 kilometres per hour on a combination of existing track and new dedicated rail corridors. The high speed trains will dramatically reduce travel times -- to an estimated 73 minutes between London and Toronto Union Station. This will give people a faster and greener way to get around, and will help businesses attract talented workers from across a wider area.

This project is one in a series of major investments Ontario is making to build and expand public transit and transition to a low-carbon innovation economy. These investments include the transformational GO Regional Express Rail (RER) project, which will introduce all-day, two-way service every 15 minutes across the GO rail network, with electrified service on core segments, including the Union Pearson Express. Weekly trips across the entire GO rail network will grow from about 1,500 to nearly 6,000 by 2025.

Building high speed rail is part of the government's plan to support care, create opportunity and make life more affordable during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes free prescription drugs for everyone under 25, and 65 or over, through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, and easier access to affordable child care.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

It's working now:

Enjoy!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jesus no it's Wynne putting 11 billion into a high speed train Windsor to Union station to "help businesses attract talented workers from across a wider area". At least she admits she's made Toronto unliveable.

Premier Kathleen Wynne was at Info-Tech in London today to highlight Ontario's historic investment to build a high speed rail line along the Toronto-Windsor corridor that will connect communities and create jobs and economic growth across Southwestern Ontario.

As announced in the 2018 Budget, the government will make an initial investment of more than $11 billion to support construction of Phase One of the project between Toronto and London. Canada's first high speed rail line -- the largest new investment in the Budget -- will slash travel times in half along the corridor, offer people a convenient new travel option that will reduce carbon emissions, while creating new opportunities for workers, businesses and anyone traveling in this part of Ontario.

Electric-powered trains will move at speeds of up to 250 kilometres per hour on a combination of existing track and new dedicated rail corridors. The high speed trains will dramatically reduce travel times -- to an estimated 73 minutes between London and Toronto Union Station. This will give people a faster and greener way to get around, and will help businesses attract talented workers from across a wider area.

This project is one in a series of major investments Ontario is making to build and expand public transit and transition to a low-carbon innovation economy. These investments include the transformational GO Regional Express Rail (RER) project, which will introduce all-day, two-way service every 15 minutes across the GO rail network, with electrified service on core segments, including the Union Pearson Express. Weekly trips across the entire GO rail network will grow from about 1,500 to nearly 6,000 by 2025.

Building high speed rail is part of the government's plan to support care, create opportunity and make life more affordable during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes free prescription drugs for everyone under 25, and 65 or over, through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, and easier access to affordable child care.

Eh, what's another $11 billion DBFOM project? We'll just pay another private company to make and run HSR even though VIA couldn't make the numbers work. I mean it's only in addition to the entire RER network.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's working now:

Enjoy!

A true hero.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

will this be ready in the next six months? asking for someone moving to windsor because his girlfriend works in downtown detroit

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol the NDP tried this under Bob Rae too, they did a feasibility study and everything. I feel like it's the desperation play of the election campaign playbook.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
This thread's anti-Ford bias is going to ruin the media.

https://twitter.com/anthonyfurey/status/982296189306421254

quote:

Whenever I’m asked about liberal media bias by disaffected news consumers, I explain that it’s not so much that they’re fully for or against one candidate or another. It’s just that they’re naturally predisposed to viewing liberals in a more positive light than conservatives, such that it’s more difficult for them to see things in a neutral fashion. (Case in point: The Ottawa bubble has, to their credit, finally figured out that Trudeau’s progressive schtick is a smarmy ruse. It just took them two years longer than the rest of us to get there.)

Hence why right after Doug Ford won the leadership we saw all of these headlines predicting the doomsday things he was going to get up to and how he’s just a repeat of Trump. It was not only lazy journalism but most of it ranged from baseless to flat-out lies. It’s an example of how their first inclination is to reach for any conceivable negatives, which is of course the opposite of their response to a liberal victory.

Here’s the thing though: If they display this bias too heavily, it risks further eroding the dwindling trust people have in them. For two years in a row, the annual Edelman Trust Barometer has found that less than half of the country trusts the media.

The tour bus is the least of their problems. The question is how fairly they cover the events once they get there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

lol the NDP tried this under Bob Rae too, they did a feasibility study and everything. I feel like it's the desperation play of the election campaign playbook.

It's not as if it's not needed, it would help combat congestion on the 403/QEW and reduce fossil fuel usage in general. But it's massively expensive and cannot be supported by fare revenue (see UPX, times 100), so no private business will ever do it on their own and the province will be paying huge fare subsidies in perpetuity to run it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

It's not as if it's not needed, it would help combat congestion on the 403/QEW and reduce fossil fuel usage in general. But it's massively expensive and cannot be supported by fare revenue (see UPX, times 100), so no private business will ever do it on their own and the province will be paying huge fare subsidies in perpetuity to run it.

Don't get me wrong I think it's great and I'm all for it and I think the province should build, maintain, subsidize, and operate high speed rail from Windsor to Ottawa for the good of the province's infrastructure and to decrease car traffic on major highways.

On the other hand I have no doubt in my mind about the fact that this is 100% a cynical election ploy by a party that's trailing Doug Ford in the polls due in part to its legacy of horrible corruption on major deals like this one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

On the other hand I have no doubt in my mind about the fact that this is 100% a cynical election ploy by a party that's trailing Doug Ford in the polls due in part to its legacy of horrible corruption on major deals like this one.

It's this, for sure, and even if they did build it, the province would be paying SNC-Lavalin through a DBFOM model. We won't "own" the infrastructure. Same with the RER, and by the looks of it every LRT line and probably the TTC subway lines, based on the proposed budget.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i welcome a return to the competitive environment of 1920s era private mass transit competing efficiently to serve the people. Can we also start calling them horseless streetcars while we're at it?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

PT6A posted:

I don’t want to smell it, but I recognize that it’s not my right to be free of all annoyances in a public space. Why are people so loving fragile? Yes, it smells bad. loving deal with it; you’ll be okay if you’re briefly annoyed!

You'd have a point if smokers actually kept back the required distance from apartment lobbies, restaurant patios, etc., and didn't just drop smoking-related litter on the ground whenever and wherever they feel like it.

As opposed to roads, which are completely unsubsidized?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

quote:

but in the decades since, “progressives” have successfully demonized the lexicon of government to the extent that any attempt at covering costs without going into debt is tarred as “austerity,” which is synonymous with “evil.”

what

man that is just the most out to lunch perspective on progressive views of austerity budgets ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xtal posted:

Can we devote a moment to talk about when Hamilton committed itself to racism and transphobia

I'm interested. What's up?