Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I doubt this ends with them going to jail since that would be kind of a weird story resolution for such a goofy pair of villains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fat and Useless posted:

I hope they at least make it to the popularity poll.

La Brava is going to rank higher than Gentle and the comic that accompanies the results is going to have her apologizing to him and trying to cheer him up while he pretends he isn't upset by his likely not-so-high ranking. (In general; he's not going to be upset at La Brava for doing well.)

Also, the people responding to obvious joke posts in complete seriousness, and people in turn making more jokes in response to the dead-serious posts, is kind of surreal.

Andrast posted:

I doubt this ends with them going to jail since that would be kind of a weird story resolution for such a goofy pair of villains

That was another strange part of the last couple of chapters, really. The arc has been goofy otherwise, which has been fun, and then you had Deku acting the same way he did in the life-or-death, villains-are-literally-trying-to-murder-children arcs. It felt weird, since everything else, from the characters to the very framing of the comic itself, treated the situation mostly as a rather silly/comedic one, and then you had Deku staring down Gentle the same way he would Stain or Shigaraki. This chapter toned that down, making him come across as serious but still reasonable and even gave him a slightly goofy moment or two during his first page in the chapter, whereas he felt positively grim two chapters ago.

Really, the two chapters before this one feel like missteps; Deku's attitude, him hitting Gentle with a flying tackle into a building, and Gentle dropping a loving girder (even if he was going to use his power to keep it from actually hurting people or whatever) clashed with the tone of the arc otherwise and feel really out of place in what seems like it's meant to be a lighthearted and fun thing after the Overhaul arc and its extreme darkness and violence. Fortunately, this one feels more in-line with what the arc seems to be going for.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 6, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
As someone mentioned if Midoriya had a few minutes to explain the situation to Gentle and La Brava I bet money they'd probably back off.

"Uh yeah, there's a little girl I rescued from a horrible abuser who literally spent the last few years dissecting her to death only to bring her back to life to make bullets out of her blood. I kinda wanted to bring her to the festival to cheer her up because she literally doesn't know how to smile. Also if you crash the festival they'll probably fire all the faculty and staff."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I like that Mei is being consistently portrayed as nasty as hell

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I like that Mei is being consistently portrayed as nasty as hell awesome

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Gentle earned THE POWER OF LOVE. Too bad Deku already unlocked THE POWER OF SELF RESPECT.

Like everyone else I really enjoy this duo and I think it's kind of hilarious that if this goes how I suspect then the Power of Love is going to get shat on which is hilariously bleak. Even if it's somehow great that's also awesome because it's so dorky and suits La Brava and Gentle so much. I also like how it explains the heart shapes in the smoke/dust. It's a great hint you could never work out but now you see why it's there it's really cool.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think kidcoelacanth meant that Mei is usually dirty and filthy from all her work.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
I think it'd be cool if Gentle reciprocated her Love and it gave the both of them a power-up because that's the true power of Love.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think kidcoelacanth meant that Mei is usually dirty and filthy from all her work.

Which is awesome.

Someone so dedicated to their work is really really cool. (In character form, I'm not so sure living with a borderline obsessive compulsive inventor would be awesome)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

yeah and it rules

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I don't want their fight to have a winner. I want them to end up on stage and everyone thinks it's part of the performance, like a goddamn sitcom, and then they win.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Roland Jones posted:

That was another strange part of the last couple of chapters, really. The arc has been goofy otherwise, which has been fun, and then you had Deku acting the same way he did in the life-or-death, villains-are-literally-trying-to-murder-children arcs. It felt weird, since everything else, from the characters to the very framing of the comic itself, treated the situation mostly as a rather silly/comedic one, and then you had Deku staring down Gentle the same way he would Stain or Shigaraki. This chapter toned that down, making him come across as serious but still reasonable and even gave him a slightly goofy moment or two during his first page in the chapter, whereas he felt positively grim two chapters ago.

Really, the two chapters before this one feel like missteps; Deku's attitude, him hitting Gentle with a flying tackle into a building, and Gentle dropping a loving girder (even if he was going to use his power to keep it from actually hurting people or whatever) clashed with the tone of the arc otherwise and feel really out of place in what seems like it's meant to be a lighthearted and fun thing after the Overhaul arc and its extreme darkness and violence. Fortunately, this one feels more in-line with what the arc seems to be going for.

To be fair, literally all of Deku's experiences with villains have been grim life or death situations. He's not really used to dealing with petty criminals with no murderous intent.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

To be fair, literally all of Deku's experiences with villains have been grim life or death situations. He's not really used to dealing with petty criminals with no murderous intent.

Oh, it's fair for Deku to be that way, sure; it definitely makes sense. I'm not blaming him for anything except maybe the flying tackle into a building. I meant more that it felt weird narratively, sort of tonally-inconsistent, and along with, again, said tackle and the girder-drop, escalated the seriousness of things somewhat, which is probably why we're having this discussion now. It felt out of place in the otherwise goofy arc and some people reacted to that, then others reacted to those reactions, etc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Stakes don't have to be life or death for someone to really care deeply about them.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

bacon flaps posted:

I think it'd be cool if Gentle reciprocated her Love and it gave the both of them a power-up because that's the true power of Love.

If Gentle reciprocates her love then I will want him to go to jail very much.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Like people have said, it is a serious situation. Gentle successfully breaking in would probably get UA shut down, everyone fired or have other dire consequences. Especially since its Gentle, him breaking in would make the school look like a total joke.

(Also the best ending would be for the fight to bump into the League of Villains simultaneous attempt to break in and Deku and Gentle have to foil it together)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nephthys posted:

Like people have said, it is a serious situation. Gentle successfully breaking in would probably get UA shut down, everyone fired or have other dire consequences. Especially since its Gentle, him breaking in would make the school look like a total joke.

(Also the best ending would be for the fight to bump into the League of Villains simultaneous attempt to break in and Deku and Gentle have to foil it together)

I would really hope that the fate of Yueii isn't in the hands of one student to protect them from a YouTuber villain. The school would look like a total joke then because it would be one.

That's not justifying what Gentle is doing, because it's not a good thing to do and he should definitely be stopped, just, like, if the best Yueii can do, when they know that people are trying to kill their students and their very existence as a school is on the line and they're going all out as a result, can't keep out Gentle, then gently caress, they really are incompetent. Every criticism of them would be proven true, and it'd demonstrate that the VA could walk in and slaughter the kids any time they wanted.

(I'm hoping for some sort of happy ending too. Something that doesn't end with Eri, Gentle, or anyone else emotionally crushed or the school getting closed or anything like that. Preferably something heartwarming and/or funny.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

even if deku knew without a doubt that they'd be stopped well before reaching the school itself without his help, he'd still try to stop them here because that's the kind of person he is

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

PringleCreamEgg posted:

If Gentle reciprocates her love then I will want him to go to jail very much.

Isn't she an adult by now? She had a poo poo time in school and became a recluse due to her experiences, only venturing back into the world after stumbling across Gentle's videos? Granted there's no discernible timeline other than she was younger in the past than she is now(which is of course the way things work), but... Yeah who knows. In the event that it's weird, toeing a line kind of stuff, I obviously don't want this scenario to play out.

edit: also there's more than just romantic and sexual love in the world but I guess we've established that trying to navigate things requiring nuance is not easy on the internet

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 6, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't get where Midoriya thinks Gentle isn't as strong as most of the people he has fought. Gentle's power even without his powerup from La Brava is an extremely loving good quirk. Like, Gentle's quirk is better than those of half of Midoriya's loving class?

Gentle as he is if really, really fighting seriously for his life could probably take most of the VA minus Dabi since I dunno how helpful his air elasticity would be against gigantic bouts of flame. A really well trained, battle-hardened Gentle who was down with violence would be a force to be reckoned with since he has tons of tools to turn a big majority of quirks against their own users nevermind mobility.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Manatee Cannon posted:

even if deku knew without a doubt that they'd be stopped well before reaching the school itself without his help, he'd still try to stop them here because that's the kind of person he is

Also the fact that, even if Gentle is caught by security, if he sets off any alarms the festival will immediately be cancelled.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

I don't get where Midoriya thinks Gentle isn't as strong as most of the people he has fought. Gentle's power even without his powerup from La Brava is an extremely loving good quirk. Like, Gentle's quirk is better than those of half of Midoriya's loving class?

Gentle as he is if really, really fighting seriously for his life could probably take most of the VA minus Dabi since I dunno how helpful his air elasticity would be against gigantic bouts of flame. A really well trained, battle-hardened Gentle who was down with violence would be a force to be reckoned with since he has tons of tools to turn a big majority of quirks against their own users nevermind mobility.

MS translated that line at the end as Deku having fought people stronger than he (that is, Deku) is multiple times in the past, which makes more sense. Other parts of the MS translation make less sense, like them translating All Might and Midnight's conversation as All Might being the one who got a permission slip to leave the school and buy some stuff, meanwhile; it's worth reading both translations whenever there's a new chapter because it seems like there's going to be at least one dumb mistake in both.

bacon flaps posted:

Isn't she an adult by now? She had a poo poo time in school and became a recluse due to her experiences, only venturing back into the world after stumbling across Gentle's videos? Granted there's no discernible timeline other than she was younger in the past than she is now(which is of course the way things work), but... Yeah who knows. In the event that it's weird, toeing a line kind of stuff, I obviously don't want this scenario to play out.

Someone elsewhere posted that she's supposed to be eighteen-twenty, yeah. Not sure how old Gentle is, though; he definitely looks older.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, my post before yours wasn't about Deku's own actions, just saying that if the fate of the school does ride on Deku here... Hoo boy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

he didn't say most. all he said was that he's fought a lot of people stronger (and I do think he meant physically faster and stronger), which is true

the first nomu, that muscle mass guy, and overhaul just off the top of my head. hell he had a mock battle with all might if you want to count everything

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Me, a fool: Yeah Spider-Man got Doc Ock! I'M glad Peter could stop him from ruining Aunt Mays birthday

You, a brain genius: Actually Spider-Man is the bad guy here for punching this man in a suit in this super hero fight universe cause clearly it was over use of force and the villain can't handle it even if he got up and walked away.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm not sure Deku is acting wrong or overreacting, Gentle and La Brava are criminals. It's not like they are pranking people for their youtube channel, they're have filmed themselves committing crimes and have violently attacked normal people. We may be sympathetic to them because they have fun personalities but from Deku's point of view they are villains. It doesn't help that their plan is to infiltrate UA but even if they were simply walking around Deku would still be justified in trying to detain them.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 6, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Policing the community from the outside is inherently immoral.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bacon flaps posted:

He's trying to prevent a traumatized, abused girl who is most likely around the same age that La Brava was when she had her love letter ridiculed from having her one day of normalcy ruined.

La Brava was like 14 when that happened. She is just young looking.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Policing the community from the outside is inherently immoral.

Yeah Gentle is doing a bad thing, you re right. Just Like Doc Ock when he tried to force his views of social structure when he attacked that ice cream stand.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The real hero is Mirio, who just keeps on smiling despite his tragedy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah Gentle is doing a bad thing, you re right. Just Like Doc Ock when he tried to force his views of social structure when he attacked that ice cream stand.

External police agencies are tools of state repression and this is also true of superheroes who divine authority from the government.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

External police agencies are tools of state repression and this is also true of superheroes who divine authority from the government.

Bringing violence upon anyone is bad. These people wish to disrupt festival put together by a community and a member of that community is trying to stop them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Bringing violence upon anyone is bad. These people wish to disrupt festival put together by a community and a member of that community is trying to stop them.

Sounds like a selective crackdown on the universal human right to expression to me.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

MonsterEnvy posted:

La Brava was like 14 when that happened. She is just young looking.

She was first year junior high which is definitely not 14, but still perhaps not as young as Eri. Either way we're both splitting hairs.

edit: also I am speaking from a US perspective where I personally never called anything junior high. I considered my education to proceed from elementary, to middle school, to high-school, to college. If she was a first year middle school student, by my reference, she'd be a preteen. Doesn't matter I guess, at the end of the day she's a girl that got bullied for a good number of years.

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 6, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Honestly, security in the MHA world sounds like it would be an absolute nightmare. UA shutting down almost seems like an inevitability because how exactly do you plan for all the random wacky quirks people can get? The Villain Alliance alone has a person who can create warp gates and another person who can make herself look like other people.

To properly secure UA you'd essentially have to turn it into a prison and that's not exactly a healthy environment to nurture young heroes in.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Can we just go back to

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The real hero is Mirio, who just keeps on smiling despite his tragedy.
?
He's an extremely good boy.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The school isn't at immediate risk of being shut down, the festival is. In order to prevent any further issues with public image they have the festival on a zero tolerance lockdown policy.

It's not necessarily like they could be blamed for a villian attacking the school if they respond appropriately, but they could be blamed for even having the festival if it presents an avoidable security risk (much like sending them to a vulnerable off site summer camp and letting one of them get kidnapped). Given the current climate and their recent track record, that's the issue at present.

Basically even if Gentle makes it to the school he's only going to wind up getting the festival cancelled and probably thrown in jail - it's a building full of professional heroes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gentle is like an older Lupin III who's just in it for mischief and fun.

This is why I like Gentle. Deku should still punch his stomach really hard. Not super hard. Just really hard.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hopeford posted:

I don't want their fight to have a winner. I want them to end up on stage and everyone thinks it's part of the performance, like a goddamn sitcom, and then they win.

If this arc ends any other way but this, I will be crushingly disappointed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shere posted:

The school isn't at immediate risk of being shut down, the festival is. In order to prevent any further issues with public image they have the festival on a zero tolerance lockdown policy.

It's not necessarily like they could be blamed for a villian attacking the school if they respond appropriately, but they could be blamed for even having the festival if it presents an avoidable security risk (much like sending them to a vulnerable off site summer camp and letting one of them get kidnapped). Given the current climate and their recent track record, that's the issue at present.

Basically even if Gentle makes it to the school he's only going to wind up getting the festival cancelled and probably thrown in jail - it's a building full of professional heroes.

There's not a risk of UA being shut down but there is a serious risk beyond "the festival gets canned". The current UA staff are already in a lot of hot water because of all of the poo poo that has gone down with Class A - remember when they had to send professional heroes to the students' parents houses to pretty much beg them to keep the students in the hero program after they had been nearly killed by villains multiple times? Principal Nezu basically staked what remains of his reputation in order to try to hold this festival for the kids against external pressure by promising that this time there would be no fuckups, so if there are fuckups he's probably going to metaphorically hang for it.

If the festival goes rear end up there's a chance that UA will change dramatically, possibly for the worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

symbolic posted:

If this arc ends any other way but this, I will be crushingly disappointed.

If Deku explained the situation Gentle would be at Eri's side with some hot tea for her in about 5 seconds