Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Plutonis posted:

So a shitload of police in my city were deployed to protect a Bolsonaro outdoor from vandalism but meanwhile there's an incoming criminal faction war after PCC leaders got killed here.

https://www.opovo.com.br/noticias/ceara/maranguape/2018/02/policiais-militares-evitam-depredacao-de-outdoor-de-bolsonaro.html

priorities

also loving lol, I live in Santa Catarina and people here are comparing the situation here to Rio because the new strategy from the secretary of public safety has flared up the factions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

For context the two biggest criminal factions in the country, the PCC and CV (First Commando of the Capital and Red Commando) started an all out war last year inside the prisons and outside and the murder rate spiked because of it. It doesn't help that the local factions took sides as well, like the "Guardians of the State" here, who massacred a nightclub because CV people frequented it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/968511698570182657

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so dictatorship is an inevitability no matter who wins? chalk up another victory for the "lol nothing matters we're all hosed" crowd

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'll still make the mock election thread in august when the actual campaigning begins

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

actually there is a very interesting view here that Temer might have unwillingly hosed the pro-dictatorship crowd pretty bad

basically, Rio is now a laboratory for the whole "military intervention now" deal, so it has a very narrow timeframe to show results about that mess, with the gigantic problem called "The Internet" that the armed forces are loving lol about it

and there is a lot more to it than security, which is exactly why people are going to have the learning experience of a lifetime about that: lets say they managed to deal with crime, so what, the hydra of economics will still rear its ugly heads and then things will get hot

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm sure this won't be abused

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/971019822426357761

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monroe Doctrine still doing work

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'd trust Facebook insane poo poo over any mainstream outlet 100% lol

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
A PSOL member of the city council was murdered after she started talking about policy brutality in the favelas.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Any Brazilian goons watch O Mecanismo?

I am considering it, but after having read that Padilha makes the Lula character say the stuff from the Juca recording I am afraid that I might have an aneurysm watching it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

rip brazil

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

morons throwing lula in prison

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/brazil-court-rejects-president-lula-bid-avoid-prison-180405053207116.html

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
on the contrary - they're not morons, they know exactly what they're doing, and they're going to get away with it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

rudatron posted:

on the contrary - they're not morons, they know exactly what they're doing, and they're going to get away with it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
whats ur feelings on it plutonis

since u actually, u know, live there

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I saw it coming miles away lol. I'll vote for Boulos but honestly it's gonna be either a legit full on military coup in October or loving Bolsonaro soin either option I'll join a revolutionary cell and get taken and murked by the doi-codi

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Plutonis posted:

I saw it coming miles away lol. I'll vote for Boulos but honestly it's gonna be either a legit full on military coup in October or loving Bolsonaro soin either option I'll join a revolutionary cell and get taken and murked by the doi-codi

i'll leave a volume of kengan ashura on your grave m8

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

actually I don't think they are going to arrest him, they just want to appease the ones who want it by leaving the possibility of prison open

Lula is ridiculously popular particularly in northern Brazil and I think a lot of people there are terrified that might be what it takes to get to spark one gigantic revolt

and imo Lula is aware of it, and he is playing along: if he really wanted to push things around he could just go to Garanhuns, his hometown in the Pernambuco hinterlands and ask "ok if you want to arrest me you come here"

and lol the military, most of their recruits in the southeastern major cities come from favelas with prominent criminal factions (there is a famous pic of a platoon in Rio de Janeiro battalion doing the CV handsign, which is for the red command faction), "Copacabana officers" (which Bolsonaro is one) are all about looking quite the paper tiger but when push comes to shove the stores on the street of the army headquarters in Rio got sacked and there was not a single action to help stop that

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dead comedy forums posted:

actually I don't think they are going to arrest him, they just want to appease the ones who want it by leaving the possibility of prison open

Lula is ridiculously popular particularly in northern Brazil and I think a lot of people there are terrified that might be what it takes to get to spark one gigantic revolt

and imo Lula is aware of it, and he is playing along: if he really wanted to push things around he could just go to Garanhuns, his hometown in the Pernambuco hinterlands and ask "ok if you want to arrest me you come here"

and lol the military, most of their recruits in the southeastern major cities come from favelas with prominent criminal factions (there is a famous pic of a platoon in Rio de Janeiro battalion doing the CV handsign, which is for the red command faction), "Copacabana officers" (which Bolsonaro is one) are all about looking quite the paper tiger but when push comes to shove the stores on the street of the army headquarters in Rio got sacked and there was not a single action to help stop that
fucken lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i need to look at that pic because that bodes hilariously for the 'intervention'

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
interesting thread and i don't have the knowledge to really contribute, but i remember watching some news report of a police op in a favela targeting red command a few years ago, and the helicopter news camera caught some of the CVers pulling out and they looked like they knew what they were doing. well-armed, wearing tactical kit and moving like soldiers. i'm guessing the news crew was lucky the CVers didn't shoot them down.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Plutonis posted:

i need to look at that pic because that bodes hilariously for the 'intervention'

I tried finding with google image search and ofc it had a shitload of garbage and I wasn't successful so far, but IIRC it was published on el pais?

but the gist of it was kinda similar to how crips and bloods get in the marines and the government doesn't even bother to "ok we are going to recruit from disfavored communities because it is prime human potential for the military" but doesn't finish the 1+1=2 in how that might play out in the long run

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

now I really wanted Lula to be all that menace that he is supposed to be tbqh

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it owns that practically every prominent elected politician in brazil is far more corrupt than lula, the guy they decided to throw in jail instead

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

it owns that practically every prominent elected politician in brazil is far more corrupt than lula, the guy they decided to throw in jail instead

:thunk:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SÃO BERNARDO DO CAMPO, Brazil — Ringed by supporters shouting “no surrender!” ahead of a possible showdown with law enforcement, former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva of Brazil defied a 5 p.m. deadline Friday to report to prison to begin serving his sentence for a corruption conviction.

Owns

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Civil War! Civil War! Civil War! Civil War!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

what truly owns is that he was far from being this "extremist" rebel figure and now they managed to turn him into a goddamn revolutionary

seriously if the intention was to bury him it backfired massively, guy is now greater than Peron or Vargas

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Hundreds of supporters — many are union members, students and land rights activists — have been camped outside the ABC Steelworkers Union, where Lula got his start in politics, since the order for his incarceration was handed down Thursday.

"Caravans from all over the state are arriving to defend President Lula," Vagner Freitas, president of the national Unified Workers Central union, known as CUT, told cheering demonstrators gathered outside the steelworkers union. "We are here, and if they want to remove Lula from here, they'll have to take us all with him."

Lula spent Thursday night in the union building, where he met with his legal team and fellow members of the Workers' Party, including former President Dilma Rousseff, former Sao Paulo Mayor Fernando Haddad and party leader Gleisi Hoffmann.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Civil War! Civil War! Civil War! Civil War!

:pray:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Hundreds of supporters — many are union members, students and land rights activists — have been camped outside the ABC Steelworkers Union, where Lula got his start in politics, since the order for his incarceration was handed down Thursday.

"Caravans from all over the state are arriving to defend President Lula," Vagner Freitas, president of the national Unified Workers Central union, known as CUT, told cheering demonstrators gathered outside the steelworkers union. "We are here, and if they want to remove Lula from here, they'll have to take us all with him."

Lula spent Thursday night in the union building, where he met with his legal team and fellow members of the Workers' Party, including former President Dilma Rousseff, former Sao Paulo Mayor Fernando Haddad and party leader Gleisi Hoffmann.

owns

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

didn’t one of the generals threaten a coup if they don’t put Lula in prison?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

didn’t one of the generals threaten a coup if they don’t put Lula in prison?

In so many words. And then one of the courts that is handling Lula's appeal "liked" the comment, and Globo read it as a final note in their nightly news.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

joepinetree posted:

In so many words. And then one of the courts that is handling Lula's appeal "liked" the comment, and Globo read it as a final note in their nightly news.

What a country. :allears:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being a war tourist can finally overlap with regular tourism

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And it has just come out that Lula's arrest was expedited because someone at the DA's office wanted to "curb Lula's feeling of omnipotence."

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

joepinetree posted:

And it has just come out that Lula's arrest was expedited because someone at the DA's office wanted to "curb Lula's feeling of omnipotence."

https://twitter.com/midianinja/status/982424881601105921?s=21

Narrator: It didn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

joepinetree posted:

loving christ. all this for a guy who took a neoliberal turn when he was actually president

• Locked thread