Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I haven't seen myself since my arrival. Could I get an update what I'm up to these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lpzie posted:

I saw some blood in my first month here. Two fisherdwarves, Temaukel and Mr. Moon, were out fishing. Flying some bees really scratched them up. Pitiful weak cowards! A strong planter, Dirt5o8, saw this and ended it with a quick kick. Amazing! Impressive! This one is worth watching.

Nooo my beautiful face. :smith: Will I ever recover? (I must say I am quite impressed with my fearlessness considering I am a weakling).

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 4, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Requesting a Dwarfing would prefer either in the military, or as a butcher or cook. Perhaps all of the above.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
As a young dwarf (probably unless I somehow died along the way) studying the greatness of our terrible volcano murder-deity, I approve of our young new bloodthirsty overseer.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Black Robe posted:

I know the feeling. Since the only sighting of dorf-me since I arrived in Valleysilences has been in the chapel, I'm assuming one of our various utterly terrifying gods is keeping me alive for some later purpose. Lava will probably be involved.

remember there are already over 100 dwarves. That means a lot of dwarves doing the boring things that keep a fortress from being drowned in cats etc.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The Children's Crusade will be swift and bloody.

:iit:

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Can I get dwarfed Humaned? Like if another caravan guard or someone wants to join the fortress. Otherwise something with the highest chance of dying horribly preferred.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 5, 2018

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Hey cool! A new dwarf fortress succession thread! Dwarf me as a male axe dwarf is possible. The axe dwarf is the important bit though.

I am looking forwards to seeing where people put all the unlabeled (Or worse, mislabeled on purpose) levers.

I wonder how many "gently caress the World" levers this fortress will gain by the end?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

As I put the finishing touches on the squad assignments, I bumped into a strange dwarf. DeathSandwich. He wanted to see things die. I made room for him in a combat-heavy squad.

One of the weaklings from the undead bird attack, Temaukel, wanted to become stronger. She wanted her husband, Kennel, and their son Slaan (when he's old enough), to also get stronger. I assigned them to combat training 2 times per year.

Something I think we are missing is the "righteous representations of the dwarven spirit". Every great story and heroic deed involves this: the battleaxe. The squads here scratched their heads at the concept. Wow! That will change as soon as this draft is finished. Every able-bodied dwarf will at least see training.

The "Reserves" contain the "vital" dwarves. Those dwarves that understand "logistics": medics, doctors, clerks, bards, scholars, poets, barkeepers, administrators, etc. The weak but important. These squads will "strengthen the civilians to maintain the general health and well-being of the iron-bred conglomerate." They will train a few months out of the year and only see combat when the situation is dire.

I asked the miners to expand the barracks. We will be needing it. Along the way, I saw the Poet Nuramor. He was deep in prayer. I had a task for him: come up with good names for the squads and some official sounding titles. Get the other poets to help out.

Later, a mighty dwarf approached me about combat possibilities. Zebrin is his name. Very old and stubborn. He likes books but the wrong kinds, I think. I will help him find excitement; gave him his own squad.

The final draft of the conscription was penned on Felsite 18th, 567. The poets did a nice job, I think. It looks official. Nice drawings of axes and dead enemies along the edges. I will have to ask Tunicate later what some of those words mean. The document will be posted tonight. Oh, and that Poet Nuramor? I will sharpen his body to match his mind. He has been assigned to a combat-heavy squad.

Because we do not have enough weapons and armor for every soldier on active duty, we must use "the makeshift-blitzkrieg, fodder-feeding, tactics of the ancient icy Northern warriors. One complete set of gear is assigned to two soldiers. The survivor is reinvigorated thrice-fold; once through completing their regiment gear, twice through vengeance, third via their gods." I hope the men of words, goods, and coins arrive soon.

(Oh, and my Mom and Dad were assigned their own squad. I have sent them to the ends of the world to find me some more books to read. My aunt chitoryu12 and my uncle Cyflan better not try to make me eat green things or they will be next.)

The Official Valleysilences Military Roster
Total Population: 137
Capable of Combat: 125
Active/Training Any Given Month: 63

The Rough Toes: Bestowed with Fortress Guardianship
Total Members: 8
Min. Soldiers Patrolling: 6
Min. Soldiers Training: 6
Weapons: Bows and Crossbows
Leader: DeceitfulPenguin
Members: Dallbun, Guarstine, Vodkahead, HardDiskD, burnaboy, InwardChaos, clockwork chaos

The Icy Portals: Pulpers of the Unpalpable Undead
Members/Patrol/Train: 8/4/6
Weapons: Hammers
Leader: Megane
Members: FrenzyTheKillbot, Maugrim, counterfeitsaint, PhallicPhalanges, Balon, barkbell, Grizzwold

The Fiery Portals: Chunkers of the Unhygienic Undead
Leader: Jamsque
Members: Brother Buer, Cyflan, gbuchold, Yeol, McGibby, blade leader, mercenarynuker

The Helmed Spears: Ravagers of the Ravine
Members: 8
Min. Soldiers Training: 6 (first 6 months), 2 (last 6 months)
Weapons: Spears
Leader: theshim
Members: Camoes, neogeo0823, Neddy Seagoon, Fuubi, Foul Ole Ron, Tiger Crazy, Black Robe

The Large Metals: Manhandlers of Man
Members: 8
Min. Soldiers Training: 2 (first 6 months), 6 (last 6 months)
Weapons: Body
Leader: Osroct
Members: Commander Keene, Zack Ater, Enemy_Input, Sad King Billy, <unnamed>, <unnamed>, Deadmeat5150

The Polite Askers: The Gentle Gentledwarves
Members/Train: 8/5
Weapons: Axes
Leader: Dirt5o8
Members: geri_khan, Gideon020, rabiddeity, Rincewinds, mojangles, Wordybird, AJ_Impy

The Brass Wishes: Metallic Dream Makers
Leader: Dr. Tough
Members: Corbeau, Arban, Thranguy, Drakenel, Vinny Possum, LostCosmonaut, turol

The Hells Bells: Yells Yells and Yells
Leader: Zebrin
Members: Dog Kisser, <unnamed>, ashnjack, lamentable dustman, Decoy Badger, Fat Samurai, Strrrrront

The Last Questions: The First Answers
Leader: Captain Aardvark
Members: Temaukel, StrangeAeon, <unnamed>, DeathSandwich, WarpZealot, <unnamed>

The Blurry Eyes: Delivers of Carnations
Leader: Ibblebibble
Members: Mr. Moon, Radio Free Kobold, GoldenPrice, Ro5s, chitoryu12, Hitlers Gay Secret, Windy Skunk

The Wispy Fingers: Symbolic Strangulators
Leader: SOLarian
Members: redneck nazgul, Malachite_Dragon, <unnamed>, <unnamed>, <unnamed>, <unnamed>, <unnamed>

The Fit Nobles: The 1% (Body Fat)
Members/Train: 3/1
Leader: Gnoman
Members: M_Gargantua, So Math

The Reserves: Canon Fooders
Groups: 4
Members: Everyone else
Minimum Civs Exercising per Group: 2

Brave dwarves always required!

Some portions transcribed by Tunicate as dictated by Lpzie.

Lpzie fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 10, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Wait Im a farmer! Im indispensable!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I will engrave our mountainhome with the corpses of our enemies!

10dishOkiku
Jul 28, 2010

7...8...9...9...9...10!
Go Mom! Lead those Polite Askers!

My mom's the best. :) She leads a whole group of soldiers and she's super-strong and amazing. I bet she could kill an undead raven with only the glare she gives me when I'm playing with dirt in my mouth or when I tell her I wanna be an elf when I grow up.

I love you mom. I don't wanna be an elf no more. I wanna be strong like you. :)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Can't believe I'm a boss, but you better believe that I am courageously leading our men from the rear, the best tactical vantage point.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
www yeah, escaped conscription

somehow

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Axedwarf in the Polite Askers, eh? Hm, Dwarfenly enough. Would you kindly get off our lawn?! :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think it bears reminding we can now flood the mountainside with lava now, so regular patrols outside are a roulette of fiery death at the hands of our benevolent toddlerseer.

Captain Aardvark
Dec 28, 2008

Ooh. I've been promoted to a leader position. Let's see how long that lasts

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Nobody told me I was drafted into a wrestling team.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm in the squad with the sanest name.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

At least 'The Helmed Spears' implies we get helmets.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm in the axe squad. Using a weapon known for severing limbs. In an area where severed limbs come back and try to gank you.

This is going to go wrong in the best way.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Choping things to pieces with axes may be dwarflike but it does not sound wizzard like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm in the axe squad. Using a weapon known for severing limbs. In an area where severed limbs come back and try to gank you.

This is going to go wrong in the best way.

The smart way to deal with problems is to break them down into smaller problems :colbert:.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The kid put everybody in the military. Barracks a huge mess, first-day rookies leading squads. Somebody got fingerprints on my hammer.

Hmph.

At least I got to see the nobles "training." Ever see a baroness try to do a combat roll? Hm hm hmm.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Drop me in as a Dwarf and put me in dangerous situations until I die thaaaanks

McGibby
Jan 27, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Did I heal from my one arm zombie mauling?

Hoping my military career goes a bit better...

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Lpzie posted:

The Fiery Portals: Chunkers of the Unhygienic Undead
Leader: Jamsque
Members: Brother Buer, Cyflan, gbuchold, Yeol, McGibby, blade leader, mercenarynuker
:redhammer:
-----:yohoho:

Let's do this

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Aw man. How did I get demoted from 'active military dwarf' to the reserves?

I mean, yeah the dwarf in question is a pacifist, but it was funny.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...
"The Blurry Eyes" sounds equal parts ludicrous and threatening. We're not sure what we're swinging at, but we sure are gonna swing.

Also deliver flowers, apparently.

God I hope I get to go on some raids. Launch me at a 1000-pop elven retreat, overseer, I'm ready!

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
So the overseer asked the miners to expand the barracks, but then he tells me, a miner, that I'm in the military so I guess I won't be expanding the barracks?

I am getting some serious mixed messages here.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Grizzwold posted:

So the overseer asked the miners to expand the barracks, but then he tells me, a miner, that I'm in the military so I guess I won't be expanding the barracks?

I am getting some serious mixed messages here.

Pretty much everyone is spending half their time in military service and half in civilian occupations. So when you aren't training in the barracks, you'll be expanding the barracks.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Fragment from the diary of So Math, Baroness of Valleysilences.

M_Gargantua insists he said "combat rolls", not "wombat rolls". I'll grab a meat pie for dinner later.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

10dishOkiku posted:

Go Mom! Lead those Polite Askers!

My mom's the best. :) She leads a whole group of soldiers and she's super-strong and amazing. I bet she could kill an undead raven with only the glare she gives me when I'm playing with dirt in my mouth or when I tell her I wanna be an elf when I grow up.

I love you mom. I don't wanna be an elf no more. I wanna be strong like you. :)

There's my little blunt object! Stick with me kid and we'll politely bash the poo poo out of the world!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Axes seem like a dubious idea here. Dismembering things just means more hauling jobs that need to complete before the zombification kicks in.

Hammers are the future.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Somehow, with a Name like "symbolic strangulators", I am expecting more of a wrestling team.
I'm pretty sure we will find ways to strangle intruders with our axes though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

SOLarian posted:

Somehow, with a Name like "symbolic strangulators", I am expecting more of a wrestling team.
I'm pretty sure we will find ways to strangle intruders with our axes though.
I know, right?

Forge worker turned soldier. If I were at home, there's a quick and dirty Photoshop just waiting to be done.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Imagine a tantrum spiral where everybody is a skilled combatant :allears:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
In the distance, the Mortal Kombat theme begins to play

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Boksi posted:

Even better - everyone but the children are skilled combatants.

We're gonna have a lost generation.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Boksi posted:

:magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You know, it never occurred to me before to train basically everyone in the military at least a bit. I always made a dedicated squad or two that would do nothing but train. I guess I always worried about nothing getting done because half the fort's farmers and haulers and cheese makers and whatever were too busy training to finish any work. As far as I've seen, this is also a new thing for a succession fort like this. I hope it goes well, but I know that it will at least be Fun.