Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Bleach had the shittiest last fight because Kubo spent like twenty chapters with the secondary characters mopping up the giant squad of bodyguards the last villain had and ended up with only two chapters for the main villain vs protagonist

And Shonen Jump cancelled him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

dwarf74 posted:

Oh no doubt. But tons of them are rad anyway. :)

There's also the problem where he doesn't seem to understand how to do a plot arc with Uryu that isn't
"Uryu apparently betrays ichigo but he's secretly a mole/comes to his senses at the last minute"

Plutonis posted:

Bleach had the shittiest last fight because Kubo spent like twenty chapters with the secondary characters mopping up the giant squad of bodyguards the last villain had and ended up with only two chapters for the main villain vs protagonist

Are you talking about Aizen or the guys from the later manga chapters where Kubo decided he liked German better than Spanish?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

And Shonen Jump cancelled him.

because he wouldn't just end the loving manga, they gave him a last arc and he tried to stretch it to infinity. it took months and months to kill a single badguy.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

dwarf74 posted:

You know on the other side of the coin, Bleach has some drat cool character design. Art-wise, anyway.

The creator is a little too obsessed with big anime titties though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FordCQC posted:

Aren't we all, though? :allears:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Aren't we all, though? :allears:

Not really!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FordCQC posted:

Oh for sure. I chalk that up to anime.txt though. "Improbable tits" is just par for the course.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Weirdo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Wait, do pecs count?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Rand Brittain posted:

Wait, do pecs count?

Are you fixated on gorgeous anime bodies of whatever gender?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Are you fixated on gorgeous anime bodies of whatever gender?

Does liking Jojos count?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Does liking Jojos count?

Yes.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Let's be honest, it should count twice.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Let's be honest, it should count twice.

If liking jojos is wrong, I never want to be right.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NinjaDebugger posted:

Good news!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

NinjaDebugger posted:

It didn't say it was wrong, just that if it's Jojos and you're counting anything, Jojos counts as two.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

dwarf74 posted:

Oh for sure. I chalk that up to anime.txt though. "Improbable tits" is just par for the course.

Yeah but Bleach is like a whole 'nother level of anime tits.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

FordCQC posted:

I stopped watching Bleach when the tiny child comedy sidekick character, turns out, had giant anime tits all along actually. Same as the goddamn cat.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Anime as an industry

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FordCQC posted:

It isn't at all. If anything it's moderate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Plutonis posted:

It isn't at all. If anything it's moderate.

Although we should let people who have not experienced Eiken bask in their blissful ignorance.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

High School of the Dead is high art that must be shared everywhere.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Darwinism posted:

I stopped watching Bleach when the tiny child comedy sidekick character, turns out, had giant anime tits all along actually. Same as the goddamn cat.

The gently caress? Glad I stopped watching early then.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also the villains in the last arc are thinly veiled not-nazis less lead by a thinly veiled not-Abrahamic-God. Or at least someone who acts like it, is named Ywach, and has a powerset explicitly called "THE ALMIGHTY" that allows him to kill people of lesser blood purity and alter the future so it's literally impossible for him to die(until they find the one heretofore unmentioned weakness at the very last second).

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That sounds rubbish. Unless the weakness is iron chariots with giant anime tits? Edit: adult iron chariots with giant anime tits, please. Not child ones. :(

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

stop talking about cartoons jc

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

stop talking about cartoons jc

In an effort to turn the topic away from cartoons:

Are there any games being published as small booklets in the style of the very oldest D&D rulebooks? It seems a nice way to provide player guides, anyway: summarize character creation & the basic mechanics in 20 pages, add a couple character sheets at the end, and sell it for $5. Write notes in it as you please and throw it away when it gets ratty.

I haven't seen this sort of thing in local game shops, but it feels like most modern game shops I go to are 95% board games and miniatures wargames with a shelf or two for Pathfinder and 5e.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are there any games being published as small booklets in the style of the very oldest D&D rulebooks? It seems a nice way to provide player guides, anyway: summarize character creation & the basic mechanics in 20 pages, add a couple character sheets at the end, and sell it for $5. Write notes in it as you please and throw it away when it gets ratty.

I haven't seen this sort of thing in local game shops, but it feels like most modern game shops I go to are 95% board games and miniatures wargames with a shelf or two for Pathfinder and 5e.

FAE Accelerated is this exactly, down to printing "JUST $5" on the cover like Arizona Iced Tea so they can't jack up the price.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

There are a few books I've seen do this. Lamentations of the Flame Princess comes to mind, although they are hard covers in the same size. I want to say I saw Stars Without Numbers digest size books as well. Kobolds Ate My Baby!, Savage Worlds, Mongoose Traveller and Castles &a Crusades Also have done digest size books. Seems to be popular among OSR type games, but I haven't seen any quite as disposable as what you are talking about.

Some of the Dungeon Crawl Classics modules are published in a small format as well, but I haven't seen any rule books in that format.

Edit - Fiasco also does small format books

Rhandhali fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 12, 2018

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The paperback version of BladesITD is close to Manga size, but I don’t think the page count makes it a “small” book.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Exemplars & Eidolons is a booklet, but then that's because it was specifically written to be a case study in replicating the layout of OD&D

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Pham Nuwen posted:

All of the games have seen like this are print on demand style. I don’t think it would be cost effective to carry them in store due to their niche status.

Actually, I saw Kobolds Ate My Baby in the wild once.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
There's B/X Essentials, which takes the original Basic and Expert D&D sets (i.e. not a retroclone) and redoes the layout, splitting the material into four booklets.

Also the most recent version of the Robotech RPG, and IIRC there was a non-World of Darkness White Wolf game that followed that format.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Xotl posted:

There's B/X Essentials, which takes the original Basic and Expert D&D sets (i.e. not a retroclone) and redoes the layout, splitting the material into four booklets.

Also the most recent version of the Robotech RPG, and IIRC there was a non-World of Darkness White Wolf game that followed that format.

The Mind's eye theater books have always been published in digest size as I recall. The most recent ones were stout, heavy rat killing books in hardcover though. Not really suitable for LARP play, but the digest or even a pocket book format would be ideal for that sort of thing.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
White box Paranoia.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

hyphz posted:

White box Paranoia.

The lovely new one?

As I recall there were some of the XP/mongoose strain that are before the kickstartered one that were digest sized.

Definitely a game that can lend itself to a pamphlet though.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Since it's another OSR example, it essentially is one of those old D&D rulebooks, but both editions of Whitehack do exactly this.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 12, 2018

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Someone's suing industry dirtbag Ken Whitman over the KODT movie kickstarter.

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2018/04/ken-whitman-youve-been-served.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

xiw posted:

Someone's suing industry dirtbag Ken Whitman over the KODT movie kickstarter.

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2018/04/ken-whitman-youve-been-served.html

I started looking into this and it turns out that the guy runs or owns, I'm not sure which, a little dumpster fire of a game store not too far from me.

http://notanotherdime.blogspot.com/?m=1

Has a lot more details. It's an interesting read. Something like a half dozen non-delivered kickstarters including a Traveller (!) TV pilot. Its all low level stuff but I'm amazed it went on for as long as it did.