Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Yuns can probably speak on this more but my brother told me Renzo's requires you to get three stripes before you can do nogi or free roll at all which I found interesting.

That's interesting. I'm a no stripe white and when I do nogi I routinely am learning something way more technical than I can handle and then we roll for like 45 minutes in which I get submitted and destroyed by purple belts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

That's dumb as poo poo. What if you're like mid 50's when you start? Or have an injury that would prevent you from competing? There needs to be an acknowledgement that there are more than one path to higher belts, even in the 'prove it on the mats' mentality of BJJ.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, representing the team to me is kinda dumb in competition, but I guess I can represent the coach in a way. Although now that I'm writing this I should meniton I'm coming at this from a casual/hobbyist gym. At some point I'd imagine high level success comes from training with high level training partners so the sucess of the individual is also shared by the team. But... team points resulting in a trophy is ridiculous. In my town we've got a good amount of small gyms but the huge one get to swarm all the small competitions with tons of guys in every division and kinda brute force results.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

That's dumb as poo poo. What if you're like mid 50's when you start? Or have an injury that would prevent you from competing? There needs to be an acknowledgement that there are more than one path to higher belts, even in the 'prove it on the mats' mentality of BJJ.

Idk maybe it's not entirely true, it's just what I've heard from other students. If I had known that I wouldn't have joined. It's not a question I thought to ask when checking out gyms

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The more I read about other gyms the happier I am I did multiple drop ins to find my gym. No forced comps, no payments for promotions, no strict patch/gi/ rules, but still a lot of very successful training partners with a cool mix of hobbyists. Having a laid back yet high level gym is great.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyone here in Seoul is under the same fight team pretty much so there's not "us vs them" mentality. It's just "let's see how we fare against these guys who train over there" and its a lot more friendly/chill.

Then again I don't speak much Korean so maybe everyone is talking poo poo on each other and I'm the dumb foreigner smiling pretending I know whats happening.

spacetoaster posted:

Isn't that up to the person in charge though? If they have that rule, then that's just the way it is?

I got into bjj because my kids have been doing it forever and I just enjoy the hobby of learning to fight (and also actually fighting).

I don't think I'll ever compete, and I'll be just fine if I'm a white belt forever just so long as I get to keep doing it.

It's a stupid rule because doing competitions isn't the be all end all of doing jiu jitsu.

I've been doing jiu jitsu off and on since 2008 and I've never heard of an rear end backwards policy like that.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It's not ballet.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I hear that a lot and I think it’s a weird comparison. I bet ballet is really loving hard.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
If I kept training for 10 years and had black belt level skills I wouldn't care of the belt I wore was white

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I hear that a lot and I think it’s a weird comparison. I bet ballet is really loving hard.

it's way harder than bjj and probably cooler too. i personally prefer bjj though

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sure ain't cooler

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ballet was the BJJ of the 1670s

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If you don't want to compete then it doesn't matter what belt you wear really.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Just become a super beast white belt that styles on blue and low level purple belts, and enter a white belt competition, and get your promotion.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Defenestrategy posted:

Just become a super beast white belt that styles on blue and low level purple belts, and enter a white belt competition, and get your promotion.

Don't doxx me

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There was some freestyle wrestling competition on today that was japan vs america. I only saw it on one tv on the wall on the sports bar. In the 80ish kg class, the american defended a double from the his opponent in the sickest way i’ve ever seen. He sprawled somewhat on him, then lifted him off the ground and threw him over his back in a beautiful inverted suplex. It was loving dope.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
FS World Cup. Kyle Dake suplex from front headlock maybe?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

There was some freestyle wrestling competition on today that was japan vs america. I only saw it on one tv on the wall on the sports bar. In the 80ish kg class, the american defended a double from the his opponent in the sickest way i’ve ever seen. He sprawled somewhat on him, then lifted him off the ground and threw him over his back in a beautiful inverted suplex. It was loving dope.

It's the Freestyle world Cup, there's more going on today.

https://twitter.com/FloWrestling/status/982739121721561090

I'd call it a really awesome and high amplitude Tawara Geashi.

James Green also did a cool thing.

https://twitter.com/Tony_Rotundo/status/982662081873960961

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 8, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thoguh posted:

It's the Freestyle world Cup, there's more going on today.

https://twitter.com/FloWrestling/status/982739121721561090

James Green also did a cool thing.

https://twitter.com/Tony_Rotundo/status/982662081873960961

The first clip is exactly what i was referring to. Japan’s guys in the sub WW divisions were cleaning up, then we got over 170lbs and the Americans came back. That throw was insane.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I once saw Rustam Chsiev do that in a grappling competition and started using it after that. I don't use it much now but I typically hit it off a head and arm control rather than both arms.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Still shot of it is also pretty sweet.

https://twitter.com/USAWrestling/status/982754845760409601?s=19

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

My girlfriend recently switched BJJ gyms because the coaches at her old gym were finding her "too aggressive" after cross training with our judo club and banned her from training in Judo. Her coaches were training her for "points" BJJ where she wants to be more submission-based after seeing how successful she was doing after a few randori sessions with our judo club. They told her "it was against the spirit of the team brand" aka we won't move you beyond purple because you win us medals.

Her new gym is pretty chill. She is the only female purple belt in the ranks of women's blue and whites but she is enjoying the coaching better and being able to cross train with our judo club is great too.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Winner winner chicken dinner

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

My girlfriend recently switched BJJ gyms because the coaches at her old gym were finding her "too aggressive" after cross training with our judo club and banned her from training in Judo. Her coaches were training her for "points" BJJ where she wants to be more submission-based after seeing how successful she was doing after a few randori sessions with our judo club. They told her "it was against the spirit of the team brand" aka we won't move you beyond purple because you win us medals.

Her new gym is pretty chill. She is the only female purple belt in the ranks of women's blue and whites but she is enjoying the coaching better and being able to cross train with our judo club is great too.

What the gently caress is wrong with people

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Good for her, sounds like leaving was the right move.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching Quintet after getting home from training and I gotta say I like it so far. I'mbout halfway through the first team match up and the overall format is something I can dig.

Rules are also not too bad overall I think. Recommebd at least watching a bit to see if it tickles your fancy.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

Watching Quintet after getting home from training and I gotta say I like it so far. I'mbout halfway through the first team match up and the overall format is something I can dig.

Rules are also not too bad overall I think. Recommebd at least watching a bit to see if it tickles your fancy.

where can i watch this without paying dana white a red cent

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wangsbig posted:

where can i watch this without paying dana white a red cent

Use a 7 day free trial for fight pass?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

CommonShore posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people

The old gym was taking advantage of the fact that they are the most popular gym in town from being first and affiliated with Brazilian Top Team. They had a lot of scummy practices meant to milk rich parents out of their money for their kid classes that bled into the adult classes when a new head coach took over last year. It became less "go out and have fun grappling " and more "do it for the 'team' in overpriced team approved gear".

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Commonwealth Games wrestling on right now.

74kg and 57kg mens divisions, 76kg and 50kg womens divisions today. Sushil Kumar (Olympic Bronze and Gold winner) is in the 74kg mens and Erica Weibe Olympic gold medallist competing in 76kg womens.

3/4 Australian wrestlers with first round wins.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

The old gym was taking advantage of the fact that they are the most popular gym in town from being first and affiliated with Brazilian Top Team. They had a lot of scummy practices meant to milk rich parents out of their money for their kid classes that bled into the adult classes when a new head coach took over last year. It became less "go out and have fun grappling " and more "do it for the 'team' in overpriced team approved gear".

That gym sounds like a garbage fire. The righteous course of action would be to beat her old teammates in competition by throwing them so hard that it leaves a crater.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Unfunny Poster posted:

Agreed it was a fun watch. Dan Strauss vs Sakuraba was the highlight. Feel really bad for the little dude who got slept twice in one night. Entertaining ruleset, Craig Jones is a monster.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

butros posted:

Agreed it was a fun watch. Dan Strauss vs Sakuraba was the highlight. Feel really bad for the little dude who got slept twice in one night. Entertaining ruleset, Craig Jones is a monster.

That was Hideo Tokoro if I'm thinking of the same guy.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Danaher is coming out with a leg lock and back attack DVD.

Bernardo Faria put up a little tidbit today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KISH2oK6TdA

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

Danaher is coming out with a leg lock and back attack DVD.

Bernardo Faria put up a little tidbit today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KISH2oK6TdA

I heel hooked a black belt and I liked it...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm not entirely sure why I made this

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Obviously I am biased as one of John's guys but I have to recommend that you guys get the video when it comes out. You'll learn what it's taken me years and tons of blood, sweat and tears to learn on the blue mats in the Renzo basement. You'll learn not just the moves but the principles too. It's part of an entire systematic way of looking at jiu jitsu.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm not entirely sure why I made this

Because God willed it.

Wish I could at least try the techniques at my gym. How useful is his stuff for gi? I imagine its pretty useful but maybe some stuff not as applicable?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yuns posted:

Obviously I am biased as one of John's guys but I have to recommend that you guys get the video when it comes out. You'll learn what it's taken me years and tons of blood, sweat and tears to learn on the blue mats in the Renzo basement. You'll learn not just the moves but the principles too. It's part of an entire systematic way of looking at jiu jitsu.

This will probably be the first BJJ DVD I legitimately acquire. That stuff looks amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

Wish I could at least try the techniques at my gym. How useful is his stuff for gi? I imagine its pretty useful but maybe some stuff not as applicable?

1. Why can't you try the techniques?
2. I use them all the time in gi.