Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Heavy Rain was real bad. At some point David Cage was showing off a scene with the reporter character where she goes incognito into some dance club. Supposedly he was trying to show how powerful and independent she is, but his commentary on her actions was suuuuper creepy.

He’s French, he can’t help it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This War of Mine

:smith:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Mafia III tidbits:

-The game has the Ubisoft Suspicion Meter, where if you invade a guarded spot and someone notices you, a marker will appear on your screen pointing to their direction and grow as they get more suspicious, until the point where it's full and they go after you. Except for cops, who are always suspicious of you, no matter where you are and have their own blue marker. They don't go out guns blazing just because you're talking a walk, but they'll stop patrolling or slow down their cruisers, and you can hear them yelling if you're looking for trouble or something like that.

-If you do get on a confrontation with the police and drive away, they'll chase you and aim precisely at the wheels of your car, which will gently caress you up pretty quickly and would make escape almost impossible if it wasn't for

- When you're against a group of people, no matter what faction they belong, there are two Phases. There's "Combat", where they know where you are and are actively going to your position - or last known position if you moved. And there's "Pursuit" where they know it was you, but not from where, and are patrolling the region looking for you. When you're against the Police, a blue radius gets marked on your minimap where they'll search for you, and your first thought would be to drive away from there as fast as you can except as soon as a cop spots you, and they will, the radius will move. Fighting back will also expand the radius, loving you up even harder. What's much easier is that as soon as you evade the sights of the police, the Phase will change to Pursuit, and all you gotta do leave your car, run into a secluded area and lay low. There are no helicopters and the cops aren't telepaths, so they don't know your exact position. Hell, if you climb a building they won't even come close to you.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Replaying it now, I really, REALLY like loving poo poo up as Aiden in Beyond Two Souls. Don’t care if I get a bad ending. Making poo poo explode and making (little detail) all the dinner chairs neatly line up in a pile on top of the table is pretty awesome.

There’s many little details. They all are good.

My first play through was on ps3 and I was Good.

Now I am Bad :unsmigghh:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I forgot one thing

it's almost :rolleyes: at this point but I'm still okay when it shows up

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Samuringa posted:

I forgot one thing

it's almost :rolleyes: at this point but I'm still okay when it shows up

Where does that number originate?
The first time I recall is Deus Ex or maybe System Shock 2.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Inzombiac posted:

SS2 I think was the first, it was the door code for Looking Glass's studio. Ever since then it's been used as either an homage to that, a coincidental homage to Fahrenheit 451, or a higher-order homage to one of those uses. It's like the Wilhelm Scream of gaming.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

It was in the original system shock without the 0.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

There's some indie immersive sim whose name escapes me that has a note that basically says "you know what the keycode is" which I thought was funny.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Leal posted:

This War of Mine

:smith:

This is a great and frankly difficult game to play

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Unfortunately it's pretty easy to get everything running really smoothly and not have to make any tough decisions for the rest of the game

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Veib posted:

There's some indie immersive sim whose name escapes me that has a note that basically says "you know what the keycode is" which I thought was funny.

There's an achievement in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for using it on the first keypad in the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's another for guessing 0000 as the code on a jury rigged bomb, because the guy who planted it didn't bother changing the attached cell phone's pin. :allears:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MizPiz posted:

This is a great and frankly difficult game to play

There is a DLC or expansion that features children and I played for like 20 minutes before I turned it off and went and stared at my sleeping son for like an hour.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
In Mario Odyssey, just discovered that the globe on the Odyssey is a music box. Didn't even discover it myself, but instead when my five-year-old was running around (postgame spoiler)as Yoshi and decided to just jump on it for a while. It seems to play different tunes based on location, or maybe just changes after every load.

On a different note, my kids used to play some crappy little Disney kingdom builder thing on ios. Can't remember the name, or maybe Disney Kingdom Builder was the name, but it was one of those "send character on a task for eight hours to collect tokens to upgrade characters and repeat, and also build structures wherever" games. All of the characters were arranged alphabetically, but Mrs. Incredible was sorted in with the E's. Took me a minute to realize why she was sorted as "Elastigirl". Thought that was a neat little touch.

I also like when phone games choose an opening track that softly rises from near silence. Not a fan of opening a game in a quiet place just to have that be the way I discover my volume is all the way up after using GPS.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Samuringa posted:

Mafia III tidbits:

-The game has the Ubisoft Suspicion Meter, where if you invade a guarded spot and someone notices you, a marker will appear on your screen pointing to their direction and grow as they get more suspicious, until the point where it's full and they go after you. Except for cops, who are always suspicious of you, no matter where you are and have their own blue marker. They don't go out guns blazing just because you're talking a walk, but they'll stop patrolling or slow down their cruisers, and you can hear them yelling if you're looking for trouble or something like that.

-If you do get on a confrontation with the police and drive away, they'll chase you and aim precisely at the wheels of your car, which will gently caress you up pretty quickly and would make escape almost impossible if it wasn't for

- When you're against a group of people, no matter what faction they belong, there are two Phases. There's "Combat", where they know where you are and are actively going to your position - or last known position if you moved. And there's "Pursuit" where they know it was you, but not from where, and are patrolling the region looking for you. When you're against the Police, a blue radius gets marked on your minimap where they'll search for you, and your first thought would be to drive away from there as fast as you can except as soon as a cop spots you, and they will, the radius will move. Fighting back will also expand the radius, loving you up even harder. What's much easier is that as soon as you evade the sights of the police, the Phase will change to Pursuit, and all you gotta do leave your car, run into a secluded area and lay low. There are no helicopters and the cops aren't telepaths, so they don't know your exact position. Hell, if you climb a building they won't even come close to you.

When entering a building that had a collectible, the owner made some racist remark, and that always prompted me to do the basic punch. He give them a really satisfying hit that would instantly drop them, and everyone else in there would usually shut up.
Also, if you started some poo poo somewhere, someone would have to actually run to a phone booth to call the police. When running up to someone to stop them from calling, Lincoln would just grab the back of their head and spike their face into the ground. Didn't matter who it was either. I think I had a trail of unconscious people laid out in front of a phone booth in one area, because as soon as I'd stop one and move in, another person would panic.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
If a store has a medkit or ballistic vest that I need, I just go in real quick, grab it and get out. If it has a "No Colored People Allowed" sign on it I also knock out the owner and grab the money from the cashier.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Samuringa posted:

If a store has a medkit or ballistic vest that I need, I just go in real quick, grab it and get out. If it has a "No Colored People Allowed" sign on it I also knock out the owner and grab the money from the cashier.

We know about life but this is a thread about video games, sir.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Pokemon Platinum: Several locations have two different music tracks - one that plays during the day, and a more chilled-out, down-tempo version that plays during the night.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I just finished Hellblade and started it back up to try out the 60fps mode, and really while everything about the narrative about this game is wonderful, I’m a little floored that (big spoilers! Kinda!) the ending is basically the same as the beginning. He’s dead, there is no way back, and she has to physically let go of what she believes will be the way back to what was before. Only in the start of the game it’s a boat, and at the end it’s...well, his head.

This game deserves every single writing award it got, but that in particular just jumped right out at me. Such a good game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Another cool bit of foreshadowing is when Senua touches the fire shrines in Surt's area, you can see her mother Galena being burned at the stake.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Creepy Castle is an alright retro-style game that sometimes goes a bit too far in its retroishness (managing your inventory is a mess), but then you reach the end of Chapter 2B where you enter a 3D Sonic-style final boss fight including a vocal butt-rock theme song when until then all the music was chiptunes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

While Shovel Knight wasn't my kind of game, I do enjoy that they added in body swapped versions of all the characters since the game's a giant sausage fest, if we're bein' honest. And the fact that I'm only just hearing about it means it must not've drawn too much attention like Quiet or 'Vagina bones' did.

http://yachtclubgames.com/2017/03/designing-body-swap/

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Iselda (the map shop keep in Hollow Knight) has a really good greeting voice. I can just feel how bored yet resigned to forever work in that shop they are.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm really liking Hollow Knight's boss designs so far, although I've only fought False Knight so far, he was adorable. :3: I also like that the game finds ways of getting you extra mana during the big fights for healing. Currently dying way too many times at the first of the shell minibosses after getting the magic attack.

I also like the way the hub gets more lit as the game goes on as you unlock more shops and the one guy is just so happy to see new businesses. :3:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Apr 6, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Hollow Knight bosses are a treat but that one is more like a tutorial to see if you grasped the basic mechanics. You'll know when you get to the first real boss, it's a fantastic fight.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RareAcumen posted:

While Shovel Knight wasn't my kind of game, I do enjoy that they added in body swapped versions of all the characters since the game's a giant sausage fest, if we're bein' honest. And the fact that I'm only just hearing about it means it must not've drawn too much attention like Quiet or 'Vagina bones' did.

http://yachtclubgames.com/2017/03/designing-body-swap/

I do not recall this feature at all.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

wrong thread

Sininu has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Apr 6, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I do not recall this feature at all.

It hit updates pretty late last year IIRC.

I think it's really cool of them to do.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Having the pronoun be a separate toggle from the physical sex is woke as hell.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

PYF little thing in Ni No Kuni 2:

Everything. Game is just dripping with charm.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It hit updates pretty late last year IIRC.

I think it's really cool of them to do.

More games need to do this, imo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm okay with games having characters of a certain gender and pronoun. If you're writing a story, nobody is forcing you to write it for all situations.

However, if a game lets you choose between character models, then it should be nearly nothing to have a pronoun toggle switch, too. The different writing situations are already programmed in, so it's just changing a flag one way or the other. Props on Yacht Club.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Pyre does that. It's mostly a Visual Novel and there are some terms you can hover on and there's a tooltip explaining a bit of the lore behind it. Right at the beginning of the game when you are found a character says something referring to you and the word "He" is highlighted. You can click on it to change to "She" or "They" and the game just carries on from that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The upcoming Battletech also does that, allowing you to pick a pronoun (he/she/they) in addition to the visual customisation. Of course the usual suspects immediately threw a shitfit, complaining about effort being "wasted" on something like that, even though the pronoun selector probably only took like 30 minutes to implement. :rolleyes:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MrJacobs posted:

Which is a different gimmick, The End's was being one with nature. Quiet's whole gimmick is that she refuses to speak english and drinks from her skin, which is why she is naked. Besides that her only real gimmick besides that is she is a super-sniper who doesn't need a spotter, a gimmick used twice already. 3 if you count the stupid wolf girl from 4.

I'm pretty sure they specifically stated that Quiet's powers come from the exact same parasites that gave The End his powers. And not that I think Quiet's design is in any way good, or that her story and explanation is anything but a stupid, contrived way to just have a dumb explanation why she has to be mostly naked - weren't her throat and lungs mostly destroyed in the intro of the game or something? Or has it been so long I just don't remember poo poo?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Nuebot posted:

I'm pretty sure they specifically stated that Quiet's powers come from the exact same parasites that gave The End his powers. And not that I think Quiet's design is in any way good, or that her story and explanation is anything but a stupid, contrived way to just have a dumb explanation why she has to be mostly naked - weren't her throat and lungs mostly destroyed in the intro of the game or something? Or has it been so long I just don't remember poo poo?

Her lungs and throat work well enough for her to speak so if that's what they were going for it didn't really work.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
For all the flaws Thief 2014 has, it's a huge guilty pleasure of mine. The feeling of a ghost run is fantastic - swoosh across the dark, crack a safe and then closing it shut again, in the time it takes a guard to turn around feels amazing.

The amount of detail put into someone using Garret's name to bilk off his in-universe reputation, hands is lovely. He does look like he's doing jazz hands if there's enough stuff to nick, though.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So, I've been doing the dlc quests of Xenoblade 2, got into a fight with this high level monster - half way through the fight, he got knocked down on a small hill - but resumed battle standing on a 90 degree angle stuck in the ground, before eventually getting reclaimed by mother earth and sinking into the depths from which he came by falling through the floor.

Also did get the dlc (wish I had gotten the "booster" upgrade from a shop before I burned through the legendary cores they gave you) and one of the quest fights ended against 3 drivers - who constantly kept screaming "SMALL FRY", and it's just always funny to me when everyone in the game gets into a screaming match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Got the game based on Planet 51 for a £5 and while it's very sluggish for a racing/driving game it has some cute mission types, like the one where you are hiding the astronaut in the back of your car and when the coast is clear ask him directions to his missing stuff. Also the collectibles are fairly charming, collecting individual panels to a comic book being one of them and filling a sticker album by doing optional challenges being another. You also unlock a new car pretty much every mission so even though all the vehicles handle the same (although I think some are faster the game doesn't show the stats so the speed differences may be psychosomatic) there is a lot of visual variety.