Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I always thought she had a hint of disdain in her voice. Didn't they sleep together at some point because I really thought she hated him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

AstroZamboni posted:

So for those of you who (reasonably) gave up on Tanis, Nic appears to be some kind of immortal dimensional conduit being who is destined to have some sort of boss fight against Grigori Rasputin and Nicolas Flamel and gods loving knows who else to keep D&Desque Cthulhu thing from causing a mass extinction.

There. You're caught up now. I also know you didn't ask. Well, too late. It's a thing you know now.

Why can't I stop listening to this train wreck?

Honestly, that’s not too different from season three of Magnus Archives.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

Honestly, that’s not too different from season three of Magnus Archives.

Yeah they're really doubling down on Everything Is Connected. Can't just have some stand alone creepy things. Even the anglerfish episode just looped back around to be relevant.

And yes I'm aware I complained about the bag of teeth episode not connecting with anything earlier in the thread. It's still the worst episode.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't necessarily mind the "everything is connected" bit, but I do mind that a show hewing so faithfully to the strengths of Lovecraft-style fiction decided to make its Great Old One analogues sentient and at least somewhat knowable. Cthonian gods tended to be essentially mindless (or so alien in consciousness as to be effectively mindless) even as their servants and cults were not.
It's like all the minions of a given book / God are their own supervillain faction.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

calandryll posted:

I always thought she had a hint of disdain in her voice. Didn't they sleep together at some point because I really thought she hated him.

Nah she's never hated him, sounding bored is her thing, like Daria or Aubrey Plaza. She's actively been trying to protect him from doing stupid poo poo lately.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Yeah they're really doubling down on Everything Is Connected. Can't just have some stand alone creepy things. Even the anglerfish episode just looped back around to be relevant.

I hate it. :(

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm all caught up on MAG now, and... I do really enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but I can see what people say about things being too interconnected, but I'm not entirely sure that's quite the right way to put it, and it's kind of hard for me to pinpoint.

Even before the connections were outright stated, it wasn't a hell of a stretch to think that the stories within each of the various recurring themes were connected, and I certainly enjoyed that well enough. I like the concept of a lot of the monsters being humans who've been changed by the various powers, and of having a story that's about conflicting cults. You can point to any individual component and I'm probably, at worst, okay with it. Maybe it's just that the veil got pulled back just a little bit too quickly? Like maybe if John had pieced things together himself instead of being exposited at, so there was still some uncertainty there.

That said, regarding the most recent episode: Dropping in on Michael and Sarah Baldwin were both perfectly fine. But the mannequin showing up like this, and this soon, is more than I'm really happy with

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

That said, regarding the most recent episode: Dropping in on Michael and Sarah Baldwin were both perfectly fine. But the mannequin showing up like this, and this soon, is more than I'm really happy with

Yeah, I agree that the mannequin was pretty poor. I was waiting for it to turn out to just be Georgie loving with Johnny until suddenly the episode was over.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

And yes I'm aware I complained about the bag of teeth episode not connecting with anything earlier in the thread. It's still the worst episode.

The anglerfish already had a connection - the Sarah girl was mentioned as being one of the other people who went missing in that episode and she's the same one that came up in the abandoned hospital where what's-her-face ghost hunter chick is introduced.

Personally, I'm 100% on board and invested.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

The anglerfish already had a connection - the Sarah girl was mentioned as being one of the other people who went missing in that episode and she's the same one that came up in the abandoned hospital where what's-her-face ghost hunter chick is introduced.

Personally, I'm 100% on board and invested.

Oh poo poo I hadn't even caught that connection.

Uh...well poo poo now my complaint isn't valid for the reason stated. I guess the guy who said the curtain got pulled back too quickly has it right, it felt like it went "No John you are the demons" way too quick. Don't get me wrong I'm still going to keep going because I do want to see where it ends and there's still more good episodes than meh episodes. I'm hoping that the break coming up gives them time to regroup and tighten things back up to how they were.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I think the infodump has been a little too fast. I'm still totally on board and I think coming where in the story it is (exactly at the halfway point) I feel like it's a prelude to a lot of poo poo hitting the fan but this still feels a little awkward right now. I think the fact that he's being told a lot of it outright rather than piecing it together himself from the statements is a bit of the issue too.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Every season gets infodumpy toward their ends, but S3 has been focused on metaplot to an unprecedented degree. There are now few if any stories that don’t relate to what’s happening at the institute.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm kind of hoping they use their hiatus to go back to more independent horror stories. I appreciate what they are trying to do with the interconnectedness, but as a casual listener that doesn't focus in on details all that much I feel like some of the stuff they're talking about is lost on me.

I'd go back to listening to Pseudopod, but the quality of the stories / audio is too inconsistent.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Second season of Limetown will start on Halloween.

LOL and apparently The Black Tapes are coming back.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 21, 2018

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Well, I tried and failed to find the kickstarter for more Black Tapes (or maybe it was Minnow Beats Whale in general), but I just saw the ad for their other new series "The Last Movie."

quote:

Tanis podcast host Nic Silver and regular contributor MK, explore the possible existence of "The Last Movie," an infamous underground feature film, reputed to drive you insane. Legend has it that every screening of this film was surrounded by bloodshed and controversy: one reviewer actually described slipping on blood in the aisle, as he ran through dozens of people trying to tear him apart.

The trailer's up, but that description isn't doing a lot for my hopes. It's a shame since I'd really love some proper The King in Yellow stuff.

Fingers crossed for Limetown.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Well, I tried and failed to find the kickstarter for more Black Tapes (or maybe it was Minnow Beats Whale in general), but I just saw the ad for their other new series "The Last Movie."

The trailer's up, but that description isn't doing a lot for my hopes. It's a shame since I'd really love some proper The King in Yellow stuff.

Fingers crossed for Limetown.

Sounds like a longer version of that Magnus episode about the band that makes people do that exact thing

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

sounds like I'm a sucker because I'm in despite loathing current Tanis and to a lesser extent Rabbits

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Sounds like a longer version of that Magnus episode about the band that makes people do that exact thing

God that episode was so good and that's the exact kinda thing we never get anymore.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SamuraiFoochs posted:

God that episode was so good and that's the exact kinda thing we never get anymore.

i haven't listened to last week's episode...i just want some spooky stories...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Last week’s was alright. The end-of-episode metaplot was much more interminable than usual, though. Some “spheres of influence” (which are really just the more creepypasta-influenced, direct targeting of phobias) are more engaging than others and I’ve never been freaked out by dolls.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They’re in a weird spot right now where they have their “spheres of influence” / recurring elements, some of which seem decidedly retired (darkness cult, the falling / abyssal thing, parasites) and some which are just now being pushed to the fore and developed (fire cult, caves and entrapment, taxidermy / living dolls). Which is probably smart in the long term to keep things from getting too static / repetitive, even if the darkness cult in particular was dispatched in a kind of offhand way.

But now that the cat’s out of the bag re: Elias / The Beholder... I’m not very excited about Cult Warz as a storyline, and the Scooby gang realizing they’re now enslaved will demand either a near-term resolution that would radically change the premise of the podcast or an extremely drawn-out metaplot that I don’t think is sustainable. It’s not a matter of them losing their touch - they’re still frequently clever (the in-universe accounting for the contrivance of the tell-all witness statement format, and Jon flexing the Jedi mind tricks associated with it are still impressive), but they are getting more ambitious, and TMA has been successful for so long largely on the strength of its restraint and economy.

That said, the weekly stories are still typically good-to-great. Even this season, while it’s had some weaker stories (didn’t much care for “Body Builder”, “Dig” or any of the fire cult ones) it can still provide a striking yarn when it hits the right subject matter and tone.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
And the thing is really, which stories resonate with who is really variable, too-- Body Builder hit me; We All Ignore the Pit not so much, and the fire cult does catch my interest. Honestly I think if you're wanting the episodic stuff, the individual statements will still do you, so long as you don't mind the serialized sections.

I like them both, so this works out great for me~

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Its still leagues beyond some of the other trash I subject myself to. I know their Patreon is pretty successful, so I wonder if they suddenly just found themselves with a glut of resources and got a bit ambitious. Maybe they'll scale back after the break. That said, I love Ghosthunter girl whose name I can never remember's inclusion on the show because I always liked her.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I don't hate this new TANIS venture, "The Last Movie". I like that they put everything out at once. That said, I'm not done yet.. Like 2 episodes to go. I did catch one flub though - they use their standard intro of haunting music with clips of dialogue from the show and they have a voice clip that is clearly the voice actor who plays Cameron Ellis from TANIS speaking normally, but when you get to that point in the show, its a character named Morris and they use a thing to disguise his voice. Seems like something that could have been caught in editing..

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

New Leaf posted:

I don't hate this new TANIS venture, "The Last Movie". I like that they put everything out at once. That said, I'm not done yet.. Like 2 episodes to go. I did catch one flub though - they use their standard intro of haunting music with clips of dialogue from the show and they have a voice clip that is clearly the voice actor who plays Cameron Ellis from TANIS speaking normally, but when you get to that point in the show, its a character named Morris and they use a thing to disguise his voice. Seems like something that could have been caught in editing..

It's funny because they also have Nic's friend "Laurie" reading some passages and it is clearly the same voice actor as for Alex Reagan.

e: apparently Lori Henry is the voice actor's irl name.

Monoclinic fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 29, 2018

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
For a 'quiet afternoon at work' kinda story it wasn't too bad, but I think they made a couple of pretty bad decisions with regards to how it was presented. Spoilers follow

I think where The Last Movie falters is in not giving (or maybe even having) a good idea of what the movie is. If i was feeling uncharitable I would probably say the same about Tanis as well. Is the film just a phantasmagoria of crazy images, is there a plot, what does it sound like, look like in the character's minds? There's an obvious comparison to be made to the Masters of Horror episode Cigarette Burns, and even though (to my memory) you never see the movie in the episode, you get a really clear idea of what it was and what it meant. There's a visual element that the writing clearly couldn't handle. I thought this really came through clearest when Nic just kept repeating the phrase "angelic demon or demonic angel" over and over. That's the kind of poo poo you see airbrushed on a van and it's being presented as if I should take it seriously.

Also that last second twist was a brick. "Morganna LaFee"? Give me a break.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
"Boys city" what are you lads doing to me??

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Can someone please explain Magnus 100 to me because I have no idea what that was about. What am I missing?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Montalvo posted:

Can someone please explain Magnus 100 to me because I have no idea what that was about. What am I missing?

I don't know what the ending meant, but to me the whole thing was trying to show how important John was to the Institute since nobody else can get a coherent statement out of people.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There’s some of TMA making fun of itself and its format, which is self-indulgent but can be fun if you’re in the mood for it. But it also feels in some way like a sop to people who miss the metaplot-light heyday of the show. The idea is that all four testimonials are being dismissed by the Magnus staff as insignificant / cranks but they are all actually paranormal and connected to the forces already revealed within the setting (the burning woman connected to the Lightless Flame, the stone circle and lost time connected to the Spiral / UnKnowing, the guy in the tunnel connected to the Church of the Divine Host,* the spider dude connected to the spiders obviously).

So weird stuff is happening out there beyond the drama of the Archives, basically. Otoh they might also be establishing something about how Jon’s ability to compel testimony is special. I think there’s definitely something there about how Jon is the only living human person (other than us the listener) to really understand the scope of what’s happening. He would have connected the dots that everyone else dismissed.

* Which is promising as it seemed for awhile there that the cops had shut that whole thing down

Anyway, I think it was probably a good idea to go on hiatus on a relatively lighter note, but different strokes etc

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 6, 2018

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I think it might have worked a bit better if they'd swapped around episodes 99 & 100. The ending of 100 was a little anaemic for going into a hiatus on.

Though having one of the Lukas family show up was pretty big, at least.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

I don't know what the ending meant, but to me the whole thing was trying to show how important John was to the Institute since nobody else can get a coherent statement out of people.

Yeah that was pretty clearly what it was about to me. Still loving weird though. Like, it felt like a comedy episode and TMA is the last podcast I particularly want that from.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

New Leaf posted:

I saw it as a near confirmation of one of the more meta theories: one of the more "unrealistic" aspects of the podcast is that every single statement, whether it's from doctors, or plumbers, have extremely vivid descriptions on par with those you'd expect from a professional writer. So once the Beholding powers came into play, I heard at least a couple of people theorize if part of the Archivist's powers is to give people that "artistical ability" to ensure proper recordings. This seems to prove this is the case (much like the episode where Melanie was recruited by Elias: when Martin tried to take her statement, she also mostly stammered until she asked about John).

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 7, 2018

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the clarification!

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Alasdair Stuart was a neat cameo.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

New Leaf posted:

I really appreciated this episode. I take statements every day and normal people suuuuck at describing just about anything.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

I saw it as a near confirmation of one of the more meta theories: one of the more "unrealistic" aspects of the podcast is that every single statement, whether it's from doctors, or plumbers, have extremely vivid descriptions on par with those you'd expect from a professional writer. So once the Beholding powers came into play, I heard at least a couple of people theorize if part of the Archivist's powers is to give people that "artistical ability" to ensure proper recordings. This seems to prove this is the case (much like the episode where Sasha was recruited by Elias: when Martin tried to take her statement, she also mostly stammered until she asked about John).

Yeah, thinking back, its like they're all read in the same "voice" - literally and figuratively. One of his favorite things to is start a sentence with "Still, ..." Maybe in the case of the written statements they're still coherent because of the presence of the Archivist - so with John away, nothing goes right.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Is there some kinda meta april fool's joke here where people pretend not to realize the episode came out right after april fool's?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Droyer posted:

Is there some kinda meta april fool's joke here where people pretend not to realize the episode came out right after april fool's?

Yeah, the great april fool's joke of "do your april fool's joke three days late"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Are we still doing recommendations here? I stumbled across a short series (though they’re gearing up for season 2) called Unplaced, which from the first episode, I admit I was ready to write off, but it somehow stuck with me. It’s the story of a woman who wakes up one day to find that no one can see or hear her, and everyone she knows is slowly forgetting about her. Good use of a single narrator.

If I’m being fair, I’d give it a 3.5/5.