Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If my iPad leaves my house it goes in an old laptop sleeve that for some reason has a pencil compartment, so that’s money saved. The 30 dollar Apple one would be great if it could magnet to the side, but thirty bucks for a thin leather cylinder? Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rolo posted:

This was recommended by the guy at Apple when I asked if their 30 dollar case connected to the iPad somehow or actually did anything:

https://www.stylussling.com/product...XhoCk9sQAvD_BwE

It even holds the little charging attachment.

The problem with these is that you can't fold the cover behind the iPad with the pencil still in the sleeve. I still use my fingers most of the time.

I ended up buying a cheap tablet sleeve with a compartment to hold the pencil and adapters.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RXQF3J/

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
This is the only Apple Pencil accessory I’ve needed:

Pentel Sharp Mechanical Pencil
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HN26F0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_srwXAb59F51Q9

Pop the metal clip off, slide it on the pencil at the medal band and it looks like it was made to be there and can be stored on your Smart Keyboard or in any pencil/pen holder in your backpack/briefcase.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got the $30 cheap speck case from Walmart for the 10.5 and it’s been great for daily use on dirty, or slippery college desks and dangerous labs. It’s not amazing for instance it has a clasp and not a magnet when it closes but it’s cheap and it seals the iPad away from danger very well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone know any good arm/bendable stands for an iPad? Last time I got a plain stand, it scratched the gently caress out of my new IKEA desk so I'd rather just get a stand that won't take up space on my desk when I'm not using it anyway.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
This 12.9 inch is the future. Like there are some devices that don't feel like they belong in this world. The screen is just too wide and expansive. I haven't tried drawing on it yet, but OMG comic books look so good on it. It truly is the Alpha Tablet.

I'm going to regret not waiting for the eventual FaceID version. Not because I want thinner bezels, but because now I have to remember two sets of gesture controls.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 12.9 is the master tablet that all tablets should aspire to be.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MarcusSA posted:

I wish 12.9-havers would stop gloating. :saddowns:
It especially hurts this week, since I’ve been using my 10.5 + Smart Keyboard as my primary computer while waiting for my new employer to ship me a laptop.

When I got the 10.5 I had this eventuality in mind. Now that it has arrived, maybe the larger one would’ve served me better... It’s still incredibly capable though. 12 hours battery life while emailing, creating PowerPoint presentations, marking up PDFs, browsing the web, streaming movies off the media server and AirPlaying them to the Apple TV. It’s practically a Real Computer™.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Hello Spaceman posted:

I wish 12.9-havers would stop gloating. :saddowns:
It especially hurts this week, since I’ve been using my 10.5 + Smart Keyboard as my primary computer while waiting for my new employer to ship me a laptop.

When I got the 10.5 I had this eventuality in mind. Now that it has arrived, maybe the larger one would’ve served me better... It’s still incredibly capable though. 12 hours battery life while emailing, creating PowerPoint presentations, marking up PDFs, browsing the web, streaming movies off the media server and AirPlaying them to the Apple TV. It’s practically a Real Computer™.

The 10.5 is really good! I love the poo poo out of mine and am glad I went with it instead of the 12.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

:agreed:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Matt Zerella posted:

The 10.5 is really good! I love the poo poo out of mine and am glad I went with it instead of the 12.

:unsmith::hf::q:

It is a good computer yes. I wish I knew how to draw, so that my Pencil would feel less neglected.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Hello Spaceman posted:

:unsmith::hf::q:

It is a good computer yes. I wish I knew how to draw, so that my Pencil would feel less neglected.

Same. I'm considering getting me pfmthose paper like screen covers but I don't like matte screens so here I am. I use it for note taking a lot.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
At least the 10.5 gives you extra space while being the same form factor. I'm really enjoying the 12.9, but holy crap it's big. The home button feels weird and I can't tell if that's because there's something off about it or if it's just a side effect of clicking something on this wide and thin a surface. I would not be surprised if the eventual thin bezel version is the same screen size, but smaller physical dimensions.

I'm constantly worried about hitting it on something as I carry it. Like when you're carrying a ladder, only smaller.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

ufarn posted:

Anyone know any good arm/bendable stands for an iPad? Last time I got a plain stand, it scratched the gently caress out of my new IKEA desk so I'd rather just get a stand that won't take up space on my desk when I'm not using it anyway.

I bought this a couple months ago and have been happy with it. It's a floor-standing one, not for mounting on your desk. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFRYAGQ/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Krispy Wafer posted:

This 12.9 inch is the future. Like there are some devices that don't feel like they belong in this world. The screen is just too wide and expansive. I haven't tried drawing on it yet, but OMG comic books look so good on it. It truly is the Alpha Tablet.

I'm going to regret not waiting for the eventual FaceID version. Not because I want thinner bezels, but because now I have to remember two sets of gesture controls.

Yeah I got the 6th gen to try out digital drawing and to get back into drawing in general. If I like it and use it I’m probably going to trade on a big momma next time they get updated.

I spend a lot of time sitting in airport lounges and playing with watercolors while Netflix played in the corner has been so baller this week. Doing so on a 12 inch pro, well that’s probably just gonna happen, sorry wallet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
As far as I can tell all Apple 12.9" keyboard covers work on every 12.9 pro, correct? Hopefully since I just bought an open box on eBay.

Rolo posted:

Yeah I got the 6th gen to try out digital drawing and to get back into drawing in general. If I like it and use it I’m probably going to trade on a big momma next time they get updated.

I spend a lot of time sitting in airport lounges and playing with watercolors while Netflix played in the corner has been so baller this week. Doing so on a 12 inch pro, well that’s probably just gonna happen, sorry wallet.

The smaller Pro's are fine for drawing. The 12.9 is probably overkill. Overkill I'm going to enjoy the heck out of, but certainly not a requirement. The ability to effortless zoom in and out make even a smaller screen good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Krispy Wafer posted:

The 12.9 is probably overkill.

Works for me :getin:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

As far as I can tell all Apple 12.9" keyboard covers work on every 12.9 pro, correct? Hopefully since I just bought an open box on eBay.

Can confirm they do. I bought a used CREATE and it worked fine. I ended up going with the Logitech Thin Folio ultimately, because god drat is the CREATE a bulky piece of kit (and also no Pencil holder for the 12.9 version).

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I still haven’t gotten the Pencil yet because I would only use it for scribbling notes and I far prefer taking notes with my keyboard (a bluetooth Logitech K380) but the 10.5” has been a fantastic purchase and I’m glad I got this size. It’s really easy to use in bed and hold for long periods of time (I think the 12.9” screen is a little unwieldy for me, even though it’s still very light weight-wise) and just generally is a great tablet. It baffles me how behind the rest of the tablet market is compared to how good the iPad has gotten in recent years.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Protip: Apple Pencil is only $85 from refurb store

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

FCKGW posted:

Protip: Apple Pencil is only $85 from refurb store

Our local Apple reseller has killer pricing for the 2018 iPad (equivalent of $333 including tax) and a bundled Apple Pencil is $83 incl. tax. Usually our prices are nowhere near US pricing but this is insanely good value.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I'm upgrading from my iPad 4 to the new 2018 iPad tomorrow (thanks, tax refund)

I have to buy a new smart cover, right?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If by iPad 4 you mean air, air 2 or fifth gen then no!

E: wait was there an actual iPad 4?

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

there was!. "the first iPad to charge via lightning" is maybe a better way to distinguish it though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, an iPad 4 smart cover will be too wide.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If i have a fuckload of discord notifications from the day how do i quickly clear them all? My android just has a clear all button but i cant seem to find it on this ipad. Does such a thing exist?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Len posted:

If i have a fuckload of discord notifications from the day how do i quickly clear them all? My android just has a clear all button but i cant seem to find it on this ipad. Does such a thing exist?

Pull down, force touch the (x), press clear all.

So I haven’t owned an iPad since something like 2011, whichever one that was, but I’ve had an iPhone since the very first one. If I were to buy an iPad today would the new iPad be “good enough” or is it one of those situations where its only purpose is to make you wish you bought a Pro instead?

e: I don’t remember all the reasons why I didn’t like the iPad I owned 7 years ago, but among them were the awful screen and screen resolution, the lack of great apps, and only being able to do one thing at a time (no split screen).

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 7, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Pull down, force touch the (x), press clear all.

So I haven’t owned an iPad since something like 2011, whichever one that was, but I’ve had an iPhone since the very first one. If I were to buy an iPad today would the new iPad be “good enough” or is it one of those situations where its only purpose is to make you wish you bought a Pro instead?

e: I don’t remember all the reasons why I didn’t like the iPad I owned 7 years ago, but among them were the awful screen and screen resolution, the lack of great apps, and only being able to do one thing at a time (no split screen).

I only see the x on days that aren't today or am I just doing something super wrong?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Len posted:

I only see the x on days that aren't today or am I just doing something super wrong?

I don’t have any notifications on my phone right now to test it but it should work for any of them. There’s no way to clear notifications in a more fine grain manner though if that’s what you wanted (ie, clearing all of yesterday’s or all of Discord only).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t have any notifications on my phone right now to test it but it should work for any of them. There’s no way to clear notifications in a more fine grain manner though if that’s what you wanted (ie, clearing all of yesterday’s or all of Discord only).

Nah I just wanted to empty the ridiculous number of notifications I got while at work and only saw X's for previous days. The today stuff looked like I had to swipe left on each and every single one. I'll look again next time there's a bunch to clear out

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I went and played with the iPad and the iPad Pros today with the pencils and wow, I was really impressed. I think I'm pretty set on buying a 2018 iPad and a Pencil now. Do you guys think the 32 GB version is enough? All my media content is streamed (Apple Music, Netflix, Plex, etc) and I don't play any games on my iPhone other than Hearthstone. I have Dropbox, OneDrive, and iCloud so I'm leaning towards 32GB being enough but I'm not sure.

e: Does Hey Siri work with iPad? I can't really find any information on this.

e2: My 6s is the 64GB version and I have about 39GB available. That's a bit concerning but it looks like it's mostly from having all my photos and way too many downloaded podcasts for some reason.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 7, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I went and played with the iPad and the iPad Pros today with the pencils and wow, I was really impressed. I think I'm pretty set on buying a 2018 iPad and a Pencil now. Do you guys think the 32 GB version is enough? All my media content is streamed (Apple Music, Netflix, Plex, etc) and I don't play any games on my iPhone other than Hearthstone. I have Dropbox, OneDrive, and iCloud so I'm leaning towards 32GB being enough but I'm not sure.

e: Does Hey Siri work with iPad? I can't really find any information on this.

e2: My 6s is the 64GB version and I have about 39GB available. That's a bit concerning but it looks like it's mostly from having all my photos and way too many downloaded podcasts for some reason.

32GB is the new 16GB. I’d go the next step up to be honest. I mean, you can probably manage OK now with 32GB, but things are not going to take up less space going forward. Save yourself some future frustration if you can afford it.

Yes, Siri works on the iPad. I was reminded of that during the NCAA Final Four when the announcer said “Remember to say “Hey Siri, remind me to watch the championship game”” and Siri went “OK”. I had forgotten to turn off “Hey Siri” in the prefs. (I highly recommend you set it to trigger on a long home button press and when unlocked only)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I bought a 32 GB 2018 iPad because my Air 2 was a 64 and I only used like 10 of it.

It’s not enough for most people, but my phone houses all my pictures and I don’t play mobile games so the only thing on my iPad is the handful of apps I use to browse the web. All my docs and music are in the cloud.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think about 5 or 6 gigs is used for the system. A new iOS version will temporarily take up 2gb. So keep that in mind.

My iPad eats space because I have like 30gb of images in iCloud and even the lower resolution copies take up almost 4gb. Between Comic Zeal and Kindle I have probably 5gb right there and it’s not uncommon for a game to take up a gig of space each. GoodReader alone had 3gb of PDF’s. I had to janitor a lot to make 64gb work.

I really wish iCloud let me store files rather than just spare them between devices. I have tb’s of space available, but the only things I can actually offload from my Apple devices are Documents, Photos, and Desktops.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

I really wish iCloud let me store files rather than just spare them between devices. I have tb’s of space available, but the only things I can actually offload from my Apple devices are Documents, Photos, and Desktops.

They do. It’s called “Files”

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/files/id1232058109?mt=8

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I went with the 128GB model because you're right I don't ever want to have to worry about storage, and also I can resell it for more when the new new iPad comes out. The only thing I wish I did (or didn't do rather) was to look up what people meant by this "air gap" thing because it's not something I noticed before at all but now I see it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This is what I'm talking about :

There's no x on the "now" stuff only the "earlier" stuff has an x:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Becca is paying you mad respect

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I think you can hold the x down on the previous section and it will give you the option to clear all notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Scroll up on your notifications screen and long press the X on earlier today.