Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
guys what do you think of my new build

Baron posted:

It is a ton of fun! I played through most of the story with Ol Bursty. After a while it gets kinda samey though, so I'm glad I play a few different weapons. I do wanna try to do some diffrent GL styles because it's not so great against tempered Jho (or I just am terrible) and I like having a shield against him.
I can't imagine using it on something as dangerous as a tempered anything. It's fun but you're basically leaving yourself completely open the entire time :v: It doesn't help that I've always been terrible at playing GL defensively though, the only time the weapon really clicked for me was in XX with the guard point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Your Computer posted:

I can't imagine using it on something as dangerous as a tempered anything. It's fun but you're basically leaving yourself completely open the entire time :v: It doesn't help that I've always been terrible at playing GL defensively though, the only time the weapon really clicked for me was in XX with the guard point.

Run evade extender and embrace the slam hop.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Your Computer posted:

Worth it for the fashion hunting.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Your Computer posted:

Full-burst GL is my go to for Tempered Vaal actually. With Guard+5 and Guard-Up you can tank any of its attacks risk free, and use the full combo during the massive amounts of recovery frames, or guard poke its head if you can't.

EDIT: Gunlance is also hilariously effective against Diablos. Blocking anything it can do, and a couple full-bursts breaks its horns with ease.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 7, 2018

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Full-burst GL is my go to for Tempered Vaal actually. With Guard+5 and Guard-Up you can tank any of its attacks risk free, and use the full combo during the massive amounts of recovery frames, or guard poke its head if you can't.

EDIT: Gunlance is also hilariously effective against Diablos. Blocking anything it can do, and a couple full-bursts breaks its horns with ease.

Yeah. Lance and gunlance are basically amazing against any monster that has primarily physical attacks that can't get around the shield. Durambaros is also a prime target, for example. Nergigante and nargacuga too.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 7, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I think the belt doesn't really complement the rest of the look. Go with hornetaur or vespid, whichever is the one with paralysis resist. (Yes I got the joke.)

Speaking of lances though, I've been trying to fight pickle with weapons other than lances because they make him kind of easy, and man is he hard with longsword because foresight slash dodges so far back I still get hit anyway, and the vertical swings are annoyingly still too short to reach his tail.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
What's the loving point of arguing that someone is a dumb casual for prioritizing a QOL skill over attack? What are you accomplishing? Let people play the game how they want, it's a cool game about hitting dinosaurs with sledgehammers and machetes, chill the gently caress out

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Your Computer posted:

What, no Health Boost?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Squashing Machine posted:

What's the loving point of arguing that someone is a dumb casual for prioritizing a QOL skill over attack? What are you accomplishing? Let people play the game how they want, it's a cool game about hitting dinosaurs with sledgehammers and machetes, chill the gently caress out

Chill dude.

chumbler posted:

and man is he hard with longsword because foresight slash dodges so far back I still get hit anyway,

If this is happening to you you're using foresight slash too early.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 7, 2018

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

It certainly teaches you when your openings are! Also when to break out of the combo and just quick reload or hop away so you can get your shield up. I use GL and GS almost exclusively on TEDs.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Dang everyone is so grumpy! Spring festival is dope, I got some of the new cosmetic stuff too, dances are amazing. Been farming tempered Jho and have gotten a hero's streamstone every single run, I've got like 15 now (and like 30 warrior's). Now I just gotta figure what the heck to augment next. And farm a gajillion gems :negative:

Regarding the damage vs defense vs utility skill debate, it's very subjective and isn't really a good thing to argue about. A damage build will give a very good player the fastest kill times (particularly in World due to the addition of Hunter Equipment and solo mode for all content), that's not up for discussion. However, most people aren't at the level where they can make use of a fully offensive build, at least not consistently. And that's totally fine! That's why defensive and utility skills exist! As has been pointed out, the variance in damage between an optimized build and a defensive build is relatively low (compared to other games). Defensive builds are more than capable of killing monsters in a reasonable timeframe. In fact, they will often be faster for many players, due to the increase in available openings (via utility skills) and the larger room for error or aggressive play (via defensive skills).

Playing online throws another wrench in the mix, in that not dying becomes harder (due to a more unpredictable monster as well as interference by teammates) and more important (so you don't ruin things for everyone). And since most people seem to play online, that increases the value of defensive and utility skills for those players.

With all that being said, what really matters is what you find the most fun. Do you want to push yourself and see how fast you can kill things with an all-out glass cannon build? Go for it! Do you want to chill and play an invincible healing build so you don't have to pay attention? You can do that too! The cool thing about the skill system is that you have a lot of freedom to play the way you want to, and since MH has a strong baseline (it's totally possible to hunt everything in the game totally naked), you are always going to be effective.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Longsword is goofy as hell. Sometimes I take it out on a kill 30 shamos mission and I'm just like, completely bafflingly flailing around. Triangle makes you run forward and circle slashes around, but then you activate ghost mode and it's the exact opposite. I'd like to learn it but gosh it feels like goofy nonsense after learning the heavy hammer like weapons first.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Krinkle posted:

Longsword is goofy as hell. Sometimes I take it out on a kill 30 shamos mission and I'm just like, completely bafflingly flailing around. Triangle makes you run forward and circle slashes around, but then you activate ghost mode and it's the exact opposite. I'd like to learn it but gosh it feels like goofy nonsense after learning the heavy hammer like weapons first.
What?

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is there anything that you need any guard skills for for tempered vaal? I have never had trouble with him with burst GL with no defensive skills. He's so clumsy you can just backhop away from everything he does and I don't think anything but his spread beam will one shot you.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I didn't whip out my jewelers loupe to confirm on the tiny tiny tiny font for ants but what does R2 do with the longsword if it doesn't say ghostblade

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Krinkle posted:

I didn't whip out my jewelers loupe to confirm on the tiny tiny tiny font for ants but what does R2 do with the longsword if it doesn't say ghostblade

So it's called spirit blade but that's not what threw me off. Spirit blade is a combo that consumes spirit gauge and ends in something called spirit roundslash which upgrades your gauge and gives you a damage boost.

It's not a mode that you activate and it certainly doesn't invert your moveset.

R2 + Triangle will do a spirit thrust which if it hits and your gauge is at least white will make you jump into the air and perform a spirit helmbreaker on the way down. Holding the left stick in a direction while doing the spirit thrust will change which direction you will jump, leaving the stick neutral will make you just jump straight up. On the way down, holding the left stick in a direction and pressing triangle will make your helm breaker go out in that direction.

R2 + circle will perform a foresight slash which will do a running backstep during which you are invunerable and then run back forward and do a horizontal slash. Initiating a foresight slash completely empties your spirit gauge and uses some stamina, however if you avoid an attack (get hit) during the backstep you will flash blue and then if the horizontal slash connects it will instantly fill your spirit gauge and let you combo straight into your spirit roundslash. You can forsight slash in any direction, you'll slash in whatever direction you hold the stick which means the initial backstep will go in the opposite direction to the one you're holding.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 7, 2018

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Okay so all I've been doing is dumping my ghost gauge repeatedly and dashing backwards and forwards and sometimes to the side and never where or when I expect while trying to kill the most helpless creatures, the girros. Great. I've been stumbling around like a drunk and every time I take the weapon for a spin I say "tthis will never make sense to me" and I go back to something real simple like hunting horn where all the moves keep my feet planted and it's just choosing what angle I want to swing at the face with.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Krinkle posted:

Okay so all I've been doing is dumping my ghost gauge repeatedly and dashing backwards and forwards and sometimes to the side and never where or when I expect while trying to kill the most helpless creatures, the girros. Great. I've been stumbling around like a drunk and every time I take the weapon for a spin I say "tthis will never make sense to me" and I go back to something real simple like hunting horn where all the moves keep my feet planted and it's just choosing what angle I want to swing at the face with.

Triangle and Circle perform a fade slash, fade slash normally goes straight backwards but it can go to the side, however ONLY if you use it in a combo (meaning you have to use an attack and then fade slash)

An easy starting combo for LS is Triangle -> triangle -> triangle + circle and then just mash R2 until the game makes you put your sword away, then repeat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

you're in luck, I recorded a world record pace speedrun on shamos with the long sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_PvDUTzIM&t=40s

there are sure to be tips and techniques to learn from it

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Krinkle posted:

It sounds like you're trying to hold R2 and spam △/◯ instead of just hitting R2 to use up your spirit gauge.

If so, stop that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Your Computer posted:

This fullburst gunlance playstyle is nuts, I just failed a capture quest in like < 3 minutes by going ham. The monster fell over and never got up again before it was dead, failing the quest :stare:

Sounds like you should have slotted earplugs instead

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Can you do the Ryu quest now even if you don't have SFV?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Renoistic posted:

Can you do the Ryu quest now even if you don't have SFV?

Yes.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

AnonSpore posted:

Sounds like you should have slotted earplugs instead

Nah he was clearly going for a record speedrun time instead of just farming monsters, he definitely shouldn't have slotted Earplugs!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Nice! I should set aside some time for all the quests I've missed.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Renoistic posted:

Nice! I should set aside some time for all the quests I've missed.

Just a word of warning. The arena quests are all scaled for two players so doing it solo can be a bit of a bitch. Just do a filtered session search for lobbies for arenas and see if anyone else is doing it or just throw up your own and wait. Sometimes you'll get assholes SOSing in those lobbies but I've gotten all my arena stuff, both normal and challenge, done like this.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The Ryu quest is also a real bitch because when the enormous Barroth charges he ends up on the other side of the arena :argh:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I farmed out the Ryu quest today with another goon as a HBG. You get plenty of paralysis and sleep knives and ammo, along with a couple of traps. That's enough to unload all your wyvern ammo and wyvernsnipes easily. It goes down quick after that.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I solo'd the Ryu quest once last night and I don't think I've been that frustrated with this game in quite some time.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I used the HBG against him when I did it and it still sucked but wasn't as bad as chasing him around with a melee weapaon.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Matsuri posted:

I solo'd the Ryu quest once last night and I don't think I've been that frustrated with this game in quite some time.

I tried it solo, AND it was first challenge quest I've ever done. It was horrible.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

big nipples big life posted:

I used the HBG against him when I did it and it still sucked but wasn't as bad as chasing him around with a melee weapaon.

I did it with the hammer thinking "oh, this is the only weapon of the five that I use on a regular basis, may as well try it..."

...do not use the hammer. Do not. I managed to kill the Barroth after carting once but it was still a solid 18 minutes of misery.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I solo'd it with the HBG. I use that weapon a lot, figured no problem...
I carted 5 times in 25 minutes. Agreed, most frustrated I've been in this game.

P.S. I may be awful at this game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Matsuri posted:

I did it with the hammer thinking "oh, this is the only weapon of the five that I use on a regular basis, may as well try it..."

...do not use the hammer. Do not. I managed to kill the Barroth after carting once but it was still a solid 18 minutes of misery.

Yeah I used hammer my first go and ran 2 marathons. It sucked mightily.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Matsuri posted:

I've only used the long sword for 90 hours and fighting that thing with the hammer was torture.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 7, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's also probably because solo arena is miserable. I've played Switch Axe for around 140 of the 160-ish hours I've played so far and it's still a huge test of patience and frustration to use it in arena alone.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I used GS against it and played with another person using GS and we chain tripped it to death.

I wouldn't solo anything in the arena other than that vespoid quest.

Brine
Aug 3, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

I used GS against it and played with another person using GS and we chain tripped it to death.

I wouldn't solo anything in the arena other than that vespoid quest.

On that note I wanted to get my daily challenge completed and picked the hammer for the vespoid arena and boy was that a dumb thing to do.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Brine posted:

On that note I wanted to get my daily challenge completed and picked the hammer for the vespoid arena and boy was that a dumb thing to do.

I just used the flash, poison smoke and ballistas, super fast that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Here's a very good summary of all the festival events.