Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

the worst rework riot ever did was mordekaiser because hes literally the exact same as he was before but half as good and with a ton of completely non-functional gimmicks

no because with malzahar he was pretty good as an AP mid laner, the new rework is not particularly better, i guess it is kind of better, but malzahar could also be played as an AD mid laner using pets, an AD top laner , an AP or an AD jungler, and you could also kind of work the gimmicks of AP top malzahar and adc malzahar. but with new rework, all of those alternative ways to play him disappeared, and for what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
what's stopping you from playing current malz top?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

the worst rework riot ever did was mordekaiser because hes literally the exact same as he was before but half as good and with a ton of completely non-functional gimmicks

Who?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

no because with malzahar he was pretty good as an AP mid laner, the new rework is not particularly better, i guess it is kind of better, but malzahar could also be played as an AD mid laner using pets, an AD top laner , an AP or an AD jungler, and you could also kind of work the gimmicks of AP top malzahar and adc malzahar. but with new rework, all of those alternative ways to play him disappeared, and for what?

The rework did make jungle malz and support malz meta for a few minutes before they removed those options

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Old poppy was degenerate as gently caress and not fun for the other 9 people in the game

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I love that Riot is always randomly pushing champions into other lanes to see what sticks but anytime someone figures out how to do it on their own without Riot making changes they panic and nerf them until they're pushed out of that position.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

I love that Riot is always randomly pushing champions into other lanes to see what sticks but anytime someone figures out how to do it on their own without Riot making changes they panic and nerf them until they're pushed out of that position.

Yeah, I'm always a little worried the nerf hammer is coming down on Sion at some point once people started bringing him mid.

You can bring him into every role but ADC and he will do well.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
My issue isn’t that champions shouldn’t be viable in multiple roles (all else equal it’s cool and good), but that Vi has bigger issues than only being a jungler. She’s not even played as a jungler hardly any more. Granted I’ve still only played like 20 games this year, but I’ve yet to see her.

She needs work to differentiate her from J4. One of the two is always better by the numbers, and the other one is just inferior.

Her kit is really simple and fun. But it does feel like there’s something missing there, some hook that she could have. She reminds me of old Warwick (and I think their Warwick rework was one of their best, if not the best period).

If she misses Q, she has almost nothing to do. Even if she hits it, there’s no real gameplay when she’s in a teamfight other than timing your E as an auto reset.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Also I’m in a computer science class right now and it was so funny to hear the prof talk about “spaghetti code” in earnest

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

What an age we live in

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/riot-regrets-unnecessarily-sexualized-design-of-league-of-legends-champion-kaisa/

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They can always fix it in post, time for a remake!

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yikes, the comments on that article

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

henkman posted:

what's stopping you from playing current malz top?

malz top was good as an ad character because he could use sustained range harass and his abilities brought the wrath of voidlinga for heavier trading. this is not the case with current malz top, and now he pushes more and you have mana issues. not good

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Endorph posted:

different reasons but yeah he is by faaaaar the worst

Also malz top is niche but fine and the rengar rework was good and shouldn't have been reversed

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 7, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
All of the complete overhauls have been top notch and a good chunk of the little reworks that keep 3 out of 4 skills roughly the same and don't update the visuals have fallen pretty flat.

I imagine they have different people working on the full overhauls compared to the mordekaiser style overhauls.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Poor Ryze :(

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
hotline Miami skins?

https://twitter.com/FionnOnFire/status/982752853155565568?s=19

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kingcobweb posted:

Also I’m in a computer science class right now and it was so funny to hear the prof talk about “spaghetti code” in earnest

Without derailing the thread too much, I’d actually be curious what he said. Spaghetti code to me seems to be a phrase that means different things to different people. I’ve always taken it to mean “some coder who likes to rely on giant, uncommented functions of doom to accomplish a task with no easy way of untangling them into smaller subroutines/functions should it be needed for a future project.”

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Siets posted:

Without derailing the thread too much, I’d actually be curious what he said. Spaghetti code to me seems to be a phrase that means different things to different people. I’ve always taken it to mean “some coder who likes to rely on giant, uncommented functions of doom to accomplish a task with no easy way of untangling them into smaller subroutines/functions should it be needed for a future project.”

His emphasis was more on that you couldn't change one part of it without the whole thing breaking, but yeah pretty much.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Like literally is there anyone who actually gets upset at women being sexy, like genuinely angry

I was under the impression that it wasn’t actually important because these are imaginary shootamans

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

Like literally is there anyone who actually gets upset at women being sexy, like genuinely angry

I was under the impression that it wasn’t actually important because these are imaginary shootamans

If it doesn't add to their characterization, I mostly just find it silly and it makes it more difficult for me to treat that character seriously. Kai'Sa having a V-cut in her bodysuit wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of my thoughts on her characterization, but it certainly didn't help.

kingcobweb posted:

My issue isn't that champions shouldn''t be viable in multiple roles (all else equal it's cool and good), but that Vi has bigger issues than only being a jungler.

She could definitely use a Xin-style pass at some point to more strongly define her role and sharpen her strengths/weaknesses. I think her ult has enough unique utility to keep her perpetually viable (barring some massive dumpstering of her numbers), but just barely.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 8, 2018

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Kai'sa plunged into the darkness, leaving her neckline behind

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Vermain posted:

If it doesn't add to their characterization, I mostly just find it silly and it makes it more difficult for me to treat that character seriously. Kai'Sa having a V-cut in her bodysuit wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of my thoughts on her characterization, but it certainly didn't help.

Yeah I think the real issue is she's a loving dull design and there's nothing else about her to keep your attention

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Teikanmi posted:

It's eyeroll-inducing for sure but that's about the extent of it imo.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The problem isn't that she's sexualized, it's that the degree of sexualization is both detrimental to her visual design and contrary to already established visual designs for characters from a contextually similar setting. I.e Kassadin has a suit to survive the void and it's a cool bug helmet with tubes and a skirt and it's monstrous and radical. Kai'Sa's void suit in comparison is a purple lycra suit with a plunging v-neck and dumb looking eyeball jets. Why do you even need a cool biosuit like Kassadin's if the void isn't toxic enough to require anything covering your head or most of your torso?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only time i actually felt like league was engaging in a sexism was when miss fortune spilled into the hall in the same way she spilled into her blouse, both taxed to contain her

edit: and yeah kaisa's just out of place with the rest of the void

its not really so much the neckline, kassadin's got his abs out, its just that she has a recognizable human face. literally nothing else from that design niche does. and i don't care at all about the League Lore but it really shatters visual unity when their entire thing is 'we don't have faces and are purple' and then she has a face and is gray

the other big void thing is eyes. velkoz is literally just a big eyeball, reksai doesnt have eyes, everyone else's eyes are super glowy. kaisa... just has normal eyes.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 8, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Teikanmi posted:

its super boring and the people that like it a lot are almost always loving weirdos

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I wish instead of having a Venom symbiote, Kai'sa's suit was just made of dead Void critters cobbled together, like she shoots her W out of a mounted torn-out Vel'Koz eye and her Q is, I don't know, spines from a Cho'Gath rear end. It could be really visually distinct and get across the premise of the character better. Also she should be bloodthirsty instead of sleepy

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Kai'sa is a bad character in all regards

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Caitlyn is pretty exceptional this patch. Her win rate isn't stellar, but at 49%, she's still played in 13% of all games so she's probably broken still.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

Before the latest round of nerfs you could still play AP Malzhar top, because he could prey on the melee tank/bruiser matchups that mostly populate top. Of course, the main thing that let him do this was his busted numbers, and they nerfed those, but that was also the main thing that made him one of the best midlaners in the game, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree that the loss of the AD builds in general was pretty disappointing and ultimately unnecessary.

Servaetes posted:

Kai'sa is a bad character in all regards
Her writing/visuals/voice/story are all bad, but mechanically I think she's actually pretty enjoyable.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Proud of this hook from a game with goons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpnVsTTSaIQ

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I love tits, I'm a man and I'm an American

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kai'sa would be improved immensely without the helmet option. Just have her helmet on all the time and make her art with the helmet on and have it be necessary for her to live on earth/the void anymore because she's been mutated horribly by her life-style.

It would fix so much I'm not even joking. Like, keep the bodysuit because she's meant to be a Venom/Blue Beetle/etc style character and it's literally a living second skin attaching itself to her original body, just don't let her take off the helmet it's so stupid she can and starts without the helmet on.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
^^^: But yes, basically this.

If you don't hit Ctrl + 5 to turn her helmet on permanently, then you're doing it wrong.

Killed By Death posted:

Her writing/visuals/voice/story are all bad, but mechanically I think she's actually pretty enjoyable.

Also, yeah. I admit I'm actually having alot of fun playing her. Especially out of the Jungle.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 8, 2018

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

the only time i actually felt like league was engaging in a sexism was when miss fortune spilled into the hall in the same way she spilled into her blouse, both taxed to contain her

edit: and yeah kaisa's just out of place with the rest of the void

its not really so much the neckline, kassadin's got his abs out, its just that she has a recognizable human face. literally nothing else from that design niche does. and i don't care at all about the League Lore but it really shatters visual unity when their entire thing is 'we don't have faces and are purple' and then she has a face and is gray

the other big void thing is eyes. velkoz is literally just a big eyeball, reksai doesnt have eyes, everyone else's eyes are super glowy. kaisa... just has normal eyes.

The reasons she’s out of place is because the designers intentionally wanted to design the first “survivor of the void.” Every single other champion is either a monster born of the void or a human who willingly let themselves be corrupted by the void.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Teikanmi posted:

The fact that the entire world is plastered with images telling women 'sexy' should be part of their identity is a massive issue.
Imaginary shootamans can contribute to this problem as much as any other media really.

In an ideal world there would be no problem with having overtly sexualized characters in games, nor lingerie models on billboards,
but for that to not be an issue it needs to be just one part of a much more diverse overall picture.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I guess the real question is "what kind of weirdos actually care about what the characters in the this game look like/lore"

to me they're just abilities on legs and could all look like ugly chuds and it wouldn't make any difference

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
You should go work for Capcom.

Oh, but they're not characters; they're functions. Just keep that in mind and you'll fit in perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Oddly enough different people play and enjoy league for different reasons. There are people out there who care about the lore (weird, I know). I couldn't give a poo poo about the back stories, but I do find the splash art for champs like morg, MF etc ridiculous and would like to see riot slide away from that aesthetic.