Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

I like the Secret Weapon Pigments Fixer. I think it is high flow clear matte enamel.

It's really awesome.

Yeah this stuff is great. I run it through my airbrush at about 5psi, and it locks the pigment in place perfectly without changing how it looks at all. One bottle has lasted me a pretty long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I use a pipette, and just use a tiny drop here/there and it just spreads really well - without disturbing the powder to much.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I saw the pipette method, but i want a storage + usage all in one combo. I've started growing impatient with my painting - i've been hitting my texture for bases and washes with a blow dryer.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I got some Secret Weapon pigment at Adepticon, and asked what they recommend for fixer. The guy at the booth said to use the Secret Weapon stuff, but since he was sold out, just get some isopropyl alcohol.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I am getting ready to paint up my Legion vehicles and wanted to do something a bit different. I want to make one of them look like it’s falling apart with smoke and sparks shooting out of it. For the smoke I am just thinking about using pulled apart cotton and using a wash on it, but the sparks I’m kind of clueless. The only thing I can think of is maybe pulling apart some steel wool and paining up a few of the strands.

Does anyone have any better ideas or tips?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Question regarding pigment fixers - does anyone know what it actually is? I've read online it's just white spirits.

I'm thinking of putting some into a small spray bottle so that i can spray over my terrain pieces to lock down the dry pigment that's currently on my stuff. I just don't want it rubbing off on peoples hands.

An alternative I’ve heard is spray matte varnish, sprinkling the pigment on as it dries, then sealing again with matte varnish.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I use odorless mineral spirits as a fixative for dry pigment powders. It works really well. Just wet the brush and gently dab it here and there; capillary action will do the rest. This fixes the pigment firmly enough that you can even apply spray varnish from a rattle-can (Testors Dull-Cote) for the final coat.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Those who follow me on Twitter might remember this picture:

Where some spikes from my Primaris Captain's Iron Halo broke off at Adepticon.
Good news, though! I fixed him:

Here are some promised pictures of my recently finished Repulsor, too:

And I finished my Power Fist Primaris Captain the other day! Lookie here:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Really nice work on all of these Ravens! I was just listening to the Adepticast earlier this evening; being able to put an image to the description is a cool thing. (Also, "Grundlehive" from the previous ep was golden.)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Forge World are discontinuing their entire paint range. If you rely on any of it, stock up now.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
BONUS SKULLS

They're really loving nice. Took a while to get them but they're the cheapest and you get the most compared to secret weapon or GW.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

BONUS SKULLS

They're really loving nice. Took a while to get them but they're the cheapest and you get the most compared to secret weapon or GW.

LINK?!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

https://www.toadkingcastings.co.uk/store/p5/Bag_of_Skulls__%28100_%29.html Sorry to all the non brits :ohdear:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TTerrible posted:

Forge World are discontinuing their entire paint range. If you rely on any of it, stock up now.

This is why I refuse to use GW paints.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

These are good but I need skulls with Jaws attached :(

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is why I refuse to use GW paints.

Same. So much "hurrr :rolleyes:" when I tell people to avoid GW paints at all costs. They cannot leave a paint range alone. This thread often has people looking for Chardon Granite / Devland Mud / whatever because their scheme relies on it.

Don't. Use. GW. Paints.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I don't understand what is causing them to reformulate so often. Are they just chasing the cheapest pigments constantly?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

OTOH, they're great paints if you don't get attached and prefer to live in the moment.

They had been producing them through third parties, and being GW, didn't renew the contracts. My understanding is that the line is produced in-house now.

Coat d'Arms (I think) was one vendor, so some of the classic colors are still available through them. None of the colors are particularly hard to match, so use what you like, but their general availability outweighs their speculative longevity IMO.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Moola posted:

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/accessories-c-73/scenic-items-c-73_112/19400-bag-of-skulls-12-p-2805.html Maybe these?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

12 bags of 19400 skulls is a pretty good deal for £1

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TTerrible posted:

Same. So much "hurrr :rolleyes:" when I tell people to avoid GW paints at all costs. They cannot leave a paint range alone. This thread often has people looking for Chardon Granite / Devland Mud / whatever because their scheme relies on it.

Don't. Use. GW. Paints.

Better to have loved Charadon Granite and lost than to have never used Charadon Granite at all.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Moola posted:

A bone job isn't quite the same without that lower jaw, is it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Here are some promised pictures of my recently finished Repulsor, too:

This is the first Repulsor that I've seen that I've liked.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

moths posted:

OTOH, they're great paints if you don't get attached and prefer to live in the moment.

They had been producing them through third parties, and being GW, didn't renew the contracts. My understanding is that the line is produced in-house now.

Coat d'Arms (I think) was one vendor, so some of the classic colors are still available through them. None of the colors are particularly hard to match, so use what you like, but their general availability outweighs their speculative longevity IMO.

I thought they brought it in house when they left Coat d'arms, did they just go to another place?

It's possible they had to change formula for some reason and decided to rebrand rather than deal with the color not quite matching.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Speaking of old and new paint lines not matching, I might as well post this here too. Might be useful for someone.

Groetgaffel posted:

Aha! My experimentation have yielded incredible results! :science:

So, my Necron paint scheme, that I've been using since like 4th has the shoulders a metallic red, at the time achieved by many layers of the old Baal Red wash over silver.

Now, while I still have a pretty big reserve of Baal Red, it is finite. But more importantly, it's annoying to work with, and it smells like sweaty balls.

Tonight I discovered that a roughly 2:1 mix of Carroburg Crimson and Bloodletter glaze not only gives me the same hue, it's also easier to work with, and requires fewer coats.

The right pauldron is just plain old Baal Red, five coats.
The left one is the new mix, three coats.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

A bone job isn't quite the same without that lower jaw, is it?

ayyyyyyyyyy

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Odd question, but I'm thinking about getting into Gaslands. Is there a place I can buy a bucket loads of things that look like turrets, bags/satchels/armor panels? Just a random grab bag of poo poo?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Don't. Use. GW. Paints.

I'm at the point where I've started taking a few painting commissions just to empty my remaining GW pots quicker lol.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Does that mean this barely used pot of devlan mud & badab black I have are pots of gold?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does that mean this barely used pot of devlan mud & badab black I have are pots of gold?
No, because Army Painter's Soft and Strong tone respectively are virtually identical.

Now if you on the other hand sat on a pot of charchadon granite....

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Groetgaffel posted:

No, because Army Painter's Soft and Strong tone respectively are virtually identical.

Has anyone tried VGC 72.155 Heavy Charcoal or VMC 70.889 USA Olive Drab as replacements for Charadon Granite? PaintRack says they might be close.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

dexefiend posted:

Has anyone tried VGC 72.155 Heavy Charcoal or VMC 70.889 USA Olive Drab as replacements for Charadon Granite? PaintRack says they might be close.

Heavy Charcoal lacks that faintly greenish/brown tint that Charadon has. It's close, but no cigar.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Maybe if you mix the two.
Of course, charchadon granite was great for more than its unique hue, it also had amazing coverage.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Just painted up my first test model for a new Raptor chapter space marine scout army. Would love some feedback.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting to a wet pallette. If the paint tends to spread out andseparate after a few minutes that means I've got too much water on the sponge, right?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Are you using a paper as well as the sponge?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah I'm using brown parchment paper.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

Unfortunately not :( The only GW paints I have came out of a starter painter set like 6+ years ago. Came with an old style hexagonal pot of goblin green which has completely evaporated and there was just an almost solid green gum left.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Unfortunately not :( The only GW paints I have came out of a starter painter set like 6+ years ago. Came with an old style hexagonal pot of goblin green which has completely evaporated and there was just an almost solid green gum left.

Those pots were only good for terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I still have a few of those. Pretty sure the paint in all of them is completely petrified by now.