Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Swerving off topic here but I didn't even know this was a thing until I saw the SM:R movie like 2 days ago and read up more on the planned but canned backstory of Makoto before she joins up as Jupiter.

What are some other good things to read/watch about girl gangsters? I don't know a lot about delinquents other than seeing Sakamoto and Cromartie High, and there isn't really even lot of fighting in either of those. I'm also not necessarily looking for something that is campy or even gag-based.
While I'm hardly an authority with regards to Sukeban / Delinquent Girls and whatnot, it is (along with the male counterpart, the Bancho) one of my favorite Anime-Manga-Dorama sub-genres / character archetypes / cultural touchstones I've ever discovered about Japan. Been a fan since for a long-rear end time.

In my opinion, if you want to start somewhere, you can't go wrong with the two grand-mommies of Sukeban-centric Manga / Anime / Dorama: Sukeban Deka / Boss Girl Detective and Hana no Asuka-gumi!. As a curious note, while not exactly "the same", a lot of details on the character designs that ended up with Ryuuko Matoi's "standard look" for Kill la Kill...

... are based on Sukeban Deka's main character, Saki Asamiya, especially for the series/movies:

For the funnier (and more recent) side of things, there's Onidere, Yandere Kanojo (both are complete), and Rokudo no Onna-tachi (which is ongoing).

:stwoon:

And while not as fond of the Yakuza in fiction or real life (despite my own run-ins with them while working around Suginami being mostly friendly), it's always good to get your funk on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jerkface posted:

http://ww1.readshokugeki.com/chapter/shokugeki-no-souma-chapter-258/

I like it! Yukihira is always at his best when he is being a cheeky bitch

Love the untranslated but romanized nandatte

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

For the funnier (and more recent) side of things, there's Onidere, Yandere Kanojo (both are complete), and Rokudo no Onna-tachi (which is ongoing).

High school female delinquents with spiky bats and yakuza connections you say?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

shokugeki really is ending huh

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

i wish this poo poo had happened 30 chapters ago

Wouldn't surprise me if this was the end game all along and the author lost track of time while writing the middle part.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i like that souma has set it up where the only way for them to win as a group is for him to lose to erina

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm somewhat confused at how it doesn't seem like erina has even started her dish

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Wark Say posted:

Cool stuff

I will look into these. Thank you, friend.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm somewhat confused at how it doesn't seem like erina has even started her dish

All cooking takes place in a hyperbolic time chamber. How else do you explain Momo's cake castle?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Don't you know? entrees are eaten a few hours before the main dish!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hi68x

Yeah this uh

This looks like it covers a lot more than I'd expect, really like the OP itself though

E: A good ending, too: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hi79y

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 8, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're all right, certainly better than we've gotten previously at least.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Apparently Soma didn't even start cooking prior to team Elite 10 turning in their meal. Shokugeki rules are only there for show anyway, as seen when Eizan was just making GBS threads on them for broadcast assholery.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hi68x

Yeah this uh

This looks like it covers a lot more than I'd expect, really like the OP itself though

E: A good ending, too: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hi79y

Goddamnit, Tsukuda, you're supposed to pad THE ANIME out with filler episodes so that you can make mainline content with the manga, not the other way around!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/259/5020/1

Chapter’s up

E: I’ll forgive this manga for a lot if Erina made the peanut butter squid

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 14, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm really liking these chapters.

Would have been a lot better if they had happened before all the tournament poo poo though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/259/5020/1

Chapter’s up

E: I’ll forgive this manga for a lot if Erina made the peanut butter squid

If she can master the peanut butter squid, doesn't that make her the greatest chef in the entire series? Soma's dad has been working on that for decades.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Gyges posted:

If she can master the peanut butter squid, doesn't that make her the greatest chef in the entire series? Soma's dad has been working on that for decades.

He never had God's Tongue though.

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.
I started reading this and following the thread through the whole time, and when I got to the four cheese pizza, I knew this thread would not be happy about it. Thank you for meeting my expectations.

For the record, I thought it was hilarious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I also thought it was hilarious, for the record.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A well made 4-cheese pizza can kick anything to the curb.

Then again, I love Chi-city style Pizza, so what the gently caress do I know.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

He never had God's Tongue though.

She’s also being backed by probably the greatest Sous Chef in the series

Because Soma might be a stubborn jackass but he is an absolutely insane assistant

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Insane jackassery runs in the family. :dance:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

She’s also being backed by probably the greatest Sous Chef in the series

Because Soma might be a stubborn jackass but he is an absolutely insane assistant

i was pretty sure this was going to be the tipping point - remember it was set up by eishi, king of the loners, wanting soma to be his assistant

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

It’s basically ending on this because why not, like a quarter of this loving show consists of Fate references

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Duck fat/stay night

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

net work error posted:

Duck fat/stay night

Lmao

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A shame Ayako Kawasumi only voices a minor character on this. :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s basically ending on this because why not, like a quarter of this loving show consists of Fate references

Next arc: Souma and Erina, after being defeated, go on a pilgrimage to Fuyuki City in order to learn how to satisfy even the most refined palate from a true master of the art.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, in case you didn't know this existed.

https://mangadex.org/manga/18712/what-s-cooking-at-the-emiya-house-today

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

RIP z0glin

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
:catstare: at the leaked spoilers for this chapter.

TheKingOfSprings is gonna lose it: Erina serves them Peanut Butter Squid. Really.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think we all know who best girl is now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

:hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

:catstare: at the leaked spoilers for this chapter.

TheKingOfSprings is gonna lose it: Erina serves them Peanut Butter Squid. Really.

Squid with peanuts in a butter sauce, or peanut butter and squid?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Squid with peanuts in a butter sauce, or peanut butter and squid?

It's apparently a part of a high quality dish, not just straight up - there's just grilled squid with peanut butter in it.

"The perfectly cooked chicken is mixed with the simmering eggs that melts the tongue. As a sauce for her dish, Erina used a scrambled egg sauce. And Erina mixed Sesame oil, salt, and squid to her rice and added a thin and crisped Senbei to that. However, what played the biggest role to her dish is the chicken, rolled in a pie cloth with squid tentacles and peanut butter. The peanut butter makes the overall scent of the chicken richer, and the squid tentacles and its flavours is the perfect match to connect with any meat cuisine.

Erina redid all the cooking so the chicken and the grilled squid tentacles with peanut butter would end up complementing each other and that it would leave a powerful impact after Soma’s dish.

After Soma playfully mocks Erina for using his grilled squid tentacles with peanut butter, Erina shows a big smile on her face."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 20, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfiAsWR4qU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

It's apparently a part of a high quality dish, not just straight up - there's just grilled squid with peanut butter in it.

"The perfectly cooked chicken is mixed with the simmering eggs that melts the tongue. As a sauce for her dish, Erina used a scrambled egg sauce. And Erina mixed Sesame oil, salt, and squid to her rice and added a thin and crisped Senbei to that. However, what played the biggest role to her dish is the chicken, rolled in a pie cloth with squid tentacles and peanut butter. The peanut butter makes the overall scent of the chicken richer, and the squid tentacles and its flavours is the perfect match to connect with any meat cuisine.

Erina redid all the cooking so the chicken and the grilled squid tentacles with peanut butter would end up complementing each other and that it would leave a powerful impact after Soma’s dish.

After Soma playfully mocks Erina for using his grilled squid tentacles with peanut butter, Erina shows a big smile on her face."

Chicken and eggs from the furikake gohan, eggs from the egg tempura, souffles from the 200-plate test at camp, the crackers that he offered her in the car, and peanut butter squid.Taking everything she's experienced around Souma and doing something with it? I approve.

JUST WHY THE HELL DID IT TAKE SO LONG TO GET TO THIS POINT?!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Woe is the person trying to avoid spoilers in ADTRW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
you guys are terrible trolls, this isn't believable in the slightest

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Chicken and eggs from the furikake gohan, eggs from the egg tempura, souffles from the 200-plate test at camp, the crackers that he offered her in the car, and peanut butter squid.Taking everything she's experienced around Souma and doing something with it? I approve.

uh-huh, yeah, and Souma realizes it and proposes on the spot

i mean come the gently caress on